ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, moo he was intent in killing everyone he could, just did not get to the ground floor for whatever reason.
The FBI guy interviewed last night on CNN gave the most insight I have heard so far as to how the investigation is going and the vital importance of Profiling for a lead on this case.
I’ll being repost the link. Quite a unique interview with Rosemary Church CNN.
To paraphrase in part he said that we would probably not be able to guess the killers motives because he doesn’t think like we do. He is deranged. He may have killed only the 4 because that was enough for him….

In comparing the friend lists of KG and MM on Instagram, it’s interesting that KG wasn’t following her ex, JD, while MM (and XK — couldn’t tell if EC was, his account is private) were all still following him.

I bring this up not to cast suspicion on JD, as LE has been clear about that not being their position, but to add context to the flurry of phone calls from both girls’ phones the night of the murders. Trying to get in touch via MM’s phone makes sense, as it seems like she remained a neutral to him (from a social media standpoint). JMO, of course.

Edited: Corrected an initial

Doesn't seem that out of the ordinary. I usually unfollow my ex's while following their friends and vice versa. This seems like a normal breakup pattern to me.

I’m sure I can’t be the first to bring this up, but what do we all think about the search for the killer based on his method of travel? What if everyone’s looking for cars in their ring camera footage, but they should be looking for a bicycle.

If the Sept 12th incident is related, that man was riding a mountain bike. My boyfriend (former CID agent) explained that bikes are known as the best mode of travel to get away with a crime. They’re difficult to describe and have no license plates. They can also move fast in areas inaccessible to vehicles. Most people don’t pay attention to bicyclists.

Could that also be why they are also investigating the area behind the house?

A couple of other thoughts about why the two downstairs were unharmed.

One potential is that the killer wasn’t expecting to run into a male. This is as far as we know a house let to a solely female group and perhaps on a non Saturday night in the week there would typically only be females there. Weekends might be more common for partners to stay over.

A variation on that is that the police seem to have been interested in walking around the hill and looking at the back of the house from different angles. It’s clearly a good vantage point to see into the back of the house due to the combination of the elevation and the large windows and doors on the balcony and kitchen. Conversely the front of the house looks like it only has small windows you would have to get right upto too see inside.

It could be that they weren’t expecting to come across a male and doing so, particularly if it happened last, spooked them. Or more broad they simply couldn’t observe the first floor and couldn’t rule out walking into a room with 4 or 5 friends watching a film or bumping into a 6’4 football player who was staying over.

From the back of the house you can see what you are getting into. But they may still not have expected to encounter a male and it might have spooked them from going further

Bold and color emphasis by me. 1122 King Rd, Moscow, ID 83843 | Trulia

I am sure this has been covered in the hundreds of pages and I have tried to keep up. But this jumped out at me. Not sure what to make of this but pets were clearly not allowed. I was looking for any clues on soundproofing. Pretty bold to have a dog LIVE there if no pets are allowed?
I am not willing to find a link, especially one from the first week. But I do remember hearing she may have claimed it as her ESA, and in some places that is considered a service animal and allowed.

eta: I have been told that this was probably someone‘s guess only, so please don’t consider this fact. I have read all the threads, and sheesh that’s a lot of messages, and my memory is not what it used to be!

Last edited:
I think a lot of people on this thread are frustrated and I share that feeling. There's enough ugliness in this crime without anymore.

I came away disappointed by the presser yesterday. I'm really hoping that the Wednesday update will be more fruitful. It's interesting that the Wed presser was set days ago. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE received via MPD
“ * On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and then released to a responsible party.”

* Rumor Control: Detectives are aware of a Latah County Sheriff’s Office incident of the report of a skinned dog and have determined it is unrelated to this incident. Contact Latah County Sheriff’s Office for further details.

“Detectives are also aware of a Moscow Police incident of the report of deceased animals left on a resident’s property. This was determined to be wildlife activity and unrelated to the incident.”

* There will be a News Conference to update the public on the investigation.
Wednesday, November 23, 2022
1:00 p.m.
University of Idaho
Alumni Lounge of the ICCU Arena
900 Stadium Drive, Moscow, Idaho
The conference will be live-streamed on YouTube at:

Attachments

• D0493391-3803-4D43-A847-AFCD78B41297.jpeg
    D0493391-3803-4D43-A847-AFCD78B41297.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 35
BBM. Have they really though? They did not say anything about him in the prepared part of the PC and it seems that all agencies worked and proof-read on that portion that specifically cleared the 3-4 so individuals. J was not among them. What he did say in the Q&A portion was that the calls were not related. That could mean any number of things, including that the wheels were in motion before the calls, for example. JMO but I don't believe LE's statements were intended to mean that he was cleared, just that the calls were cleared as being not related to the crime. You have to remember that the girls made those calls, so does not necessarily follow that the recipient is cleared too. IMO.
As clear as mud, yeah, I agree. I’m just trying to toe the TOS line. And I do think LE are definitely trying to communicate the message of “please don’t fan the fire on the internet about specific individuals being responsible for this,” though. And I can dig that, regardless of who I think seems a little sketchy.

I’m sure I can’t be the first to bring this up, but what do we all think about the search for the killer based on his method of travel? What if everyone’s looking for cars in their ring camera footage, but they should be looking for a bicycle.

If the Sept 12th incident is related, that man was riding a mountain bike. My boyfriend (former CID agent) explained that bikes are known as the best mode of travel to get away with a crime. They’re difficult to describe and have no license plates. They can also move fast in areas inaccessible to vehicles. Most people don’t pay attention to bicyclists.

Could that also be why they are also investigating the area behind the house?
I wondered too if the killer might be on other transport e.g. Greyhound and on foot (it was mentioned somewhere that there's a Greyhound station in the town) but then somebody pointed out that the killer would be covered in blood after the murder so unlikely to be using a bus. I think the blood would be similarly visible on a bicycle, or at least less well-hidden than if the killer were in a car. otoh more likely to be on a bike than on a bus.

I see some still speculating that Ethan (or Xana) woke up while Kaylee and/or Maddie were being killed and went out to investigate, leading to their murders. LE has stated that all victims were likely asleep when attacked.

“The four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed multiple times in their off-campus home were "likely asleep," before they were attacked, Moscow, Idaho, police said in a Friday evening update.

Yes but didn't they say "most" were in their beds? not all

Everyone keeps assuming the 2 girls especially Kaylee were the targets.But it could just as well been Ethan,Xana or both.
Maybe the girls came back with perp and the couple got home at the same time around 1:45am. The couple saw the killer or could identify him. The girls go upstairs with the perp to hangout. The couple goes to bed. The perp starts acting strange, so one of the girls calls ex boyfriend ( from 2 different phones) in panic or to get help. Girls get killed. Perp has to kill couple because he can be identified, so kills them in sleep. Other roommates never saw the perp so he does not bother with them. Drug tox will be interesting and insightful. That’s my guess.

UPDATE received via MPD
“ * On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and then released to a responsible party.”

* Rumor Control: Detectives are aware of a Latah County Sheriff’s Office incident of the report of a skinned dog and have determined it is unrelated to this incident. Contact Latah County Sheriff’s Office for further details.

“Detectives are also aware of a Moscow Police incident of the report of deceased animals left on a resident’s property. This was determined to be wildlife activity and unrelated to the incident.”

University of Idaho
Thanks! Let's put the questions about Kaylee's dog to bed already. Relieving to hear that the other dog case is considered unrelated. Glad they are trying to contain rumors, at least.

I am not willing to find a link, especially one from the first week. But I do remember hearing she claimed it as her ESA, and in some places that is considered a service animal and allowed.
Thanks!

JMO.

Honest question: why are people focused on the dog barking or not barking? If the dog commonly barked, the housemates and neighbors were used to it and ignored him. If he didn’t commonly bark, then he didn’t bark.

I doubt we’ll ever know how the dog reacted.

I’m glad to read he’s in good care.

JMO.

JMO.

Good post!

In the very early reporting, the crime was referred to as “isolated and targeted” and the mayor called it a “crime of passion“ (a term I intensely dislike).

The phrasing implied that the targeting was due to an existing personal relationship. LE has walked that back since then.

LE is still saying this is targeted. I’m interested in what they mean now when they use that term.

JMO.
My take on LE using the term “targeted” is to calm the fears of the students and locals. That there was a particular motive these people (or a person within the group) were selected, and there is not a killer on the loose selecting random people for murder. I think it is possible they have a reason to believe this, but then again, I think it is also possible that it is just their hope and just Public affairs in a small town that is mainly dependent on an university.

No, I’m saying in my opinion the crime scene would be fairly contaminated 7-8 days later. I’m sure it makes it much more difficult to differentiate between anything that can still be used as evidence and something that is “too far gone” I guess, in a sense. Just my speculation and opinion is all.
In my opinion they have to mark it off further. Lets say the killer hypothetically dropped his ID card and it is now found. Who cares if the scene is contaminated in a legal sense. They would have a lead to connect other dots to.

UPDATE received via MPD

University of Idaho
How did they locate the dog on the night of the incident ? They got there at noon. Are they referring to the missing dog report from that night previously mentioned which stated the dog was roaming and then sent to the shelter?

A couple of other thoughts about why the two downstairs were unharmed.

One potential is that the killer wasn’t expecting to run into a male. This is as far as we know a house let to a solely female group and perhaps on a non Saturday night in the week there would typically only be females there. Weekends might be more common for partners to stay over.

A variation on that is that the police seem to have been interested in walking around the hill and looking at the back of the house from different angles. It’s clearly a good vantage point to see into the back of the house due to the combination of the elevation and the large windows and doors on the balcony and kitchen. Conversely the front of the house looks like it only has small windows you would have to get right upto too see inside.

It could be that they weren’t expecting to come across a male and doing so, particularly if it happened last, spooked them. Or more broad they simply couldn’t observe the first floor and couldn’t rule out walking into a room with 4 or 5 friends watching a film or bumping into a 6’4 football player who was staying over.

From the back of the house you can see what you are getting into. But they may still not have expected to encounter a male and it might have spooked them from going further
Makes me wonder why the killer would pick a weekend to do this. Seems like on a week night there would be less of a chance of having additional people in the house and therefore, less risky. Unless Kaylee was the intended victim and he/she knew Kaylee was only visiting for a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX