OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

IMO MOO
back on earth one and those who are truly interested in logic, facts, good law enforcement, awesome detectives, those with information. TY for this intelligent & logical thought.
I'm definitely interested in the facts, ma'am. Should we discuss this person's suspected hacking of one of Dave's family member's social media in late 2009-early 2010? Or nah, that's just not suspicious at all? <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I read through the entire thread and one thing occurred to me: in order to commit two separate acts of arson, the murderer had to bring his own accelerant. So who was seen filling gas cans around the time of the murder? Who smelled of gas after coming home that night?
Spot on AZ.

I think this all goes back to Hyatt Lake Resort. Not sure the case will ever be solved, however - not unless more than one person was involved in the actual murder and arson(s) and somebody decides to talk. All Jmo
IMO IOO

Law Enforcement's focus.

Post in thread 'OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008'
OR - OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

Dave's place at the summit of Dead Indian Memorial Road is a full 13 miles from Ashland, and the Keno access road address is another 5 miles east, with Conde creek road between them.

IMO-- Whoever had access to an accelerant would have had to bring it with them or use something that was at one of the two addresses that night.

Then of course there's the fire at Troy's campsite in the early morning hours of 9/14/2008.

Dave's memorial was later that same day 9/14/2008 at noon, in the meadow on the summit where he had lived for more than two decades.

Who was carrying a gas can?

Who had access to offroad vehicles?

Who was camping up Conde creek or on Soda creek?

Who was in all three of these locations between 9/1-9/4 2008?

Attachments

• Conde cr rd Yellow flag per Sleuth2010 NEW INFO!.png
    Conde cr rd Yellow flag per Sleuth2010 NEW INFO!.png
    393.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Dave's place at the summit of Dead Indian Memorial Road is a full 13 miles from Ashland, and the Keno access road address is another 5 miles east, with Conde creek road between them.

Whoever had access to an accelerant would have had to bring it with them or use something that was at one of the two addresses that night.

Then of course there's the fire at Troy's campsite in the early morning hours of 9/14/2008.

Dave's memorial was later that same day 9/14/2008 at noon, in the meadow on the summit where he had lived for more than two decades.

So IMO-- Someone that was traveling could have a gas can with them, that would also explain their presence at the Pilot truck stop in Central Point.

From Central Point there are ways you can get to Soda creek, Conde creek and Dead Indian Memorial Road without going through any towns, like Medford or Ashland.

That could be handy, especially in the wee hours of the morning and if you're already familiar with the back roads of Jackson county.

From a campsite on Soda creek you would have direct access to Conde Creek road and come out onto Dead Indian Memorial Road a very short distance from Dave's place.

Let's say Dave was out for the day, doing Dave things, might someone, especially someone not keen on being seen, but was familiar with Dave's routine, decide to hang out over at Lily Glen and/or the Keno access road vacation cabin (maybe they were familiar with the former owners) until Dave was bound to come by on his way to an evening of fishing, dinner or some beers at Hyatt or Howard Prairie?

Might that someone decide to watch and wait? Lie in wait having marked Conde creek road with yellow tape earlier in the day so that they wouldn't miss their turn off on their way back to camp?

Might that someone, if they had that intention, then follow him home?

In my mind, it's possible
All--MOO--
Edited for grammar

Attachments

• Yellow tape:Page's burial marker.png
    Yellow tape:Page's burial marker.png
    307.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So IMO-- Someone that was traveling could have a gas can with them, that would also explain their presence at the Pilot truck stop in Central Point.

From Central Point there are ways you can get to Soda creek, Conde creek and Dead Indian Memorial Road without going through any towns, like Medford or Ashland.

That could be handy, especially in the wee hours of the morning and if you're already familiar with the back roads of Jackson county.

From a campsite on Soda creek you would have direct access to Conde Creek road and come out onto Dead Indian Memorial Road a very short distance from Dave's place.

Let's say Dave was out for the day, doing Dave things, might someone, especially someone not keen on being seen, but was familiar with Dave's routine, decide to hang out over at Lily Glen and/or the Keno access road vacation cabin (maybe they were familiar with the former owners) until Dave was bound to come by on his way to an evening of fishing, dinner or some beers at Hyatt or Howard Prairie?

Might that someone decide to watch and wait? Lie in wait having marked Conde creek road with yellow tape earlier in the day so that they wouldn't miss their turn off on their way back to camp?

Might that someone, if they had that intention, then follow him home?

In my mind, it's possible
All--MOO--
Edited for grammar
Would JCSO still have that day's video of the activities in and around the truck stop building and not just still shots of Troy Carney leaving from the Pilot truck stop on 9/1/2008?

Who else was seen at or around the Pilot truck stop 9/30-9/1 or 9/13-14 2008?

Any vehicles that looked like they'd been on the road for several days with 1-2 people living out of of it?

Who's familiar with Soda creek road and has camped there?

When was David last seen?
In town? By who?

At the lake? By who?
What time did he leave the lake?

Was David at Hyatt resort or somewhere else that night?
Who else was there?

Did Dave have a confrontation with someone at the lake that night?

What was Dave driving? The Jeep? The Ford? The work vehicle he called a "boom" truck? One of his motorcycles? What was usual?

Was the murderer in a vehicle or on a motorcycle/dirtbike?

Did they go home after the murder and second arson or did they head up Conde creek road to their campsite on Soda creek?

Who followed Dave home..?

Planned & executed?
or
Heat of the moment?

✌️
Edited to add additional questions

Last edited:

IMO-- Whoever had access to an accelerant would have had to bring it with them or use something that was at one of the two addresses that night.

Is the accelerant what ties Troy, Dave's and the vacation cabin cases together?

Murder in the Rain ☔

David Edwin Lewis

On September 4th, 2008 a fire occurred on Dead Indian Memorial road in Ashland, Oregon. Once the fire was extinguished authorities discovered the remains of homeowner David Lewis. HIs death was ruled a homicide and remains unsolved. Anyone who has information can call the Jackson County Cold Case Team at 541-774-6800 or they can submit a tip anonymously by calling 541-774-8333

So here's a question. Some people in remote locations may have their own stash of gasoline on the property, meaning if someone knew that Dave kept gasoline around they could plan the crime without needing haul gasoline in. Is it likely he kept some gasoline there for tractors, mowers, etc.?

So here's a question. Some people in remote locations may have their own stash of gasoline on the property, meaning if someone knew that Dave kept gasoline around they could plan the crime without needing haul gasoline in. Is it likely he kept some gasoline there for tractors, mowers, etc.?

That’s a good thought @Valiant. Having lived on rural acreage myself, I think it’s quite likely Dave may have had several gallons of gasoline available, depending on what needs he had. We kept it on hand for our chainsaw and to top off vehicle gas tanks if necessary.

originally posted by dreamweaver: <modsnip: broken link>
DAVID E LEWIS. Found dead 9/4/08, in his burned down cabin.
Another cabin was burned down that night.

He lived about 15 miles from Ashland, Or in the mountains.

It appears to be arson and murder.

Who did the other cabin belong to, and did they pass away also?

Or was that cabin empty?

How far away was this other cabin?

Who did the other cabin belong to, and did they pass away also?

Or was that cabin empty?

How far away was this other cabin?

Going from memory, the cabin was empty and was a mile or two from Dave’s. I don’t know to whom it belonged. I don’t recall that the owner’s name was ever published. Someone can correct my recollection if necessary.

Dave's cabin was at 12801 and the empty vacation cabin was at 18196 (I think!) approximately 5 miles east

You are correct that the other cabin burned was at 18196.

I looked on the Jackson County Assessor’s site to see who owned the cabin at the time, and interestingly (coincidence?) the last name was Lewis. Photos showed the burned remains of the cabin and new cabin built. The property is at the corner of the Keno Access Road. It was sold in 2021. I don’t want to post a direct link, since it contains info that doesn’t belong here. But here is the link to the assessor’s site for anyone interested.

Because the last name associated with both properties was the same, one might wonder if the arsonist wasn’t sure which Lewis cabin they wanted to burn. That would indicate to me that they didn’t know either Lewis. Or, they knew both and burned both for a reason. I haven’t found a connection between the two Lewises, but it just makes me go hmmmmmm…

Last edited:
Because the last names associated with both properties was the same, one might wonder if the arsonist wasn’t sure which Lewis cabin they wanted to burn. That would indicate to me that they didn’t know either Lewis. Or, they knew both and burned both for a reason. I haven’t found a connection between the two Lewises, but it just makes me go hmmmmmm…
Yeah, it made me go hmmmmmm too when I read your first post that the last name was also Lewis.

*goes back to Hmmmmmm'ing*

Lovely information, thank you.

It does seem too much if a distance away to be related, but also seems too much of a coincidence.

Hmmm.
The two fires on Dead Indian Memorial Road are definitely related, they were reported around the same time in the early morning of 9/4/2008 between 2:35-4:00 am.

It's a very remote area 13-18 miles east of Ashland Oregon in the Cascade-Siskiyou mountains near several mountain lakes... so 5 miles isn't far out there, that's how far Dave would have had to go to get a beer

18196 is the unoccupied vacation cabin at the corner of Dead Indian Memorial Road and Hyatt Prairie/Keno Access rd

12801 is at the summit, approximately 13 miles east of Ashland and up a fairly steep private driveway. The property is bordered on one side by Shale City road.

Because the last name associated with both properties was the same, one might wonder if the arsonist wasn’t sure which Lewis cabin they wanted to burn. That would indicate to me that they didn’t know either Lewis. Or, they knew both and burned both for a reason. I haven’t found a connection between the two Lewises, but it just makes me go hmmmmmm…
The only Lewis' that lived in the area at the time of his death that Dave was related to were his kids. His exwife has her maiden name and none of his siblings lived here at the time, AFAIK.

It's most likely a coincidence but kind of a creepy one for sure.

I remember hearing that the vacation cabin was owned by a local family, someone David was familiar with, a close friend of David's exwife's family. Possibly Spruill. I don't know the details of when it may have changed hands.

IIRC, that although Dave's cabin at 12801 was the second fire called in around 4:00 am, it was actually the first fire set that night and was already burning on the ground, only a concrete chimney left in the smoldering remains by the time firefighters arrived.

The vacation cabin was called in around 2:35-3:00 am and the local Greensprings Fire District responded.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JammerSue
Back