Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know how far it was but maybe, ive always had a feeling his car wasnt involved and he was on foot when it happened, dont know why, maybe because his ute looks all kitted out and i cant imagine him wanting to put a body in it and i dont think she was hit with a car either
Agreed. I doubt his ute was involved too. It’s his work vehicle, most likely full of tools and supplies and I’d imagine (based on images and it being the family profession) that it’d be kept orderly and clean. Is there a long storage box on the roof of this ute?
Wonder if the gf had a car and if it was part of the search? Wonder if the “look out for cars with damage” line plays into the wanted vehicle here.

Agreed. I doubt his ute was involved too. It’s his work vehicle, most likely full of tools and supplies and I’d imagine (based on images and it being the family profession) that it’d be kept orderly and clean. Is there a long storage box on the roof of this ute?
Wonder if the gf had a car and if it was part of the search? Wonder if the “look out for cars with damage” line plays into the wanted vehicle here.
The Ute had a black vinyl covered fold down camping tent accessory .
The centre aisle of the rear tray could have been free of tools , perhaps the space for folding steps , short ladders or bulky boxes …. who knows .
The gf’s car ( noted from tv coverage ) was a small suv .. a Suzuki Jimny… a popular vehicle with outdoorsy younger people .it looked to be finished in a dark gunmetal grey paint .

Electricians don't need too many tools. Plenty of room in the back section, I would think. None of their tools are large, not even reels of electrical wire are very large.

The ute could even be kitted in the back interior with shelving to carry the tools in an organised manner. I know that all of the work vans where I work have added shelving in the back.

This is a 4-door ute, right? Two seats in the front, and two behind. Not seeing a problem with the ute being used to transport Sam elsewhere.

imo

30 Essential Tools for the Modern Electrician

Hi all, linking a paywalled article that was just brought to my attention. This was published on March 9th (after accused arrested) from a reputable local print newspaper the Herald Sun:

The quote that caught my attention:

There are suggestions a short piece of CCTV gleaned early on in the investigation was a key element in Mr Stephenson becoming a suspect.

Very interesting. I may be wrong as it’s hard to keep up! But I don’t think I've seen this picked up or debated on WS as yet?

Hi all, linking a paywalled article that was just brought to my attention. This was published on March 9th (after accused arrested) from a reputable local print newspaper the Herald Sun:

There are suggestions a short piece of CCTV gleaned early on in the investigation was a key element in Mr Stephenson becoming a suspect.

Very interesting. I may be wrong as it’s hard to keep up! But I don’t think I've seen this picked up or debated on WS as yet?
Tbh @SouthAussie is really good at remembering and brings this up. It is very interesting though !!

You may have missed the previous posts about this. I have mentioned it at least several times. :)

Last edited:

@SouthAussie mentioned it several times :)

You may have missed the previous posts about this. I have mentioned it at least several times. :)
Thanks SouthAussie, and apologies. Yes I’d seen lots and lots of debate so far about whether or not the accused may have been caught on CCTV - but I was thinking it was more speculation - I totally missed the MSM link, maybe due to paywall. Perhaps others did too, so hopefully helpful to repost.

Thanks SouthAussie, and apologies. Yes I’d seen lots and lots of debate so far about whether or not the accused may have been caught on CCTV - but I was thinking it was more speculation - I totally missed the MSM link, maybe due to paywall. Perhaps others did too, so hopefully helpful to repost.

It is one of the most interesting things (so far) in determining what happened. And is why I keep talking about CCTV.

eg:
CCTV overlooking dumpsters and bins.
CCTV at the Telstra tower.
CCTV at Mt Clear College.

Where could the CCTV be from? And what was he doing in that CCTV that sparked the investigators interest in him?

Is it like the Jill Meagher case where investigators could see, on CCTV, the perp following Jill?
Is it like the Suzanne Morphew case (USA) where the perp is on CCTV dumping stuff in a dumpster?
Is his vehicle the only vehicle seen entering the forest area on CCTV somewhere, at the relevant time?

imo

Last edited:
I would imagine if there were evidence that showed certain actions by the accused, this would have been alluded to during interview? Eg if there were CCTV that identified the accused or if DNA was found in his vehicle, this would have been revealed to him and his attorney, yes?

I would imagine if there were evidence that showed certain actions by the accused, this would have been alluded to during interview? Eg if there were CCTV that identified the accused or if DNA was found in his vehicle, this would have been revealed to him and his attorney, yes?

It will be revealed to him and his attorney when the brief of evidence is ready, in 20 weeks time (well, 18½ weeks time now).

But, like you, I would imagine the police have been pushing really hard for him to give up where Sam is, so they may have revealed some of their evidence to him and (presumably) his attorney.

imo

Police prosecutor Steve Repac said police were seeking 20 weeks to compile a brief of evidence in the case.
There was no application for bail, and the man will reappear in court on August 8 for a committal hearing.

Last edited:

Thanks for this information !

I'm waiting for a brief description of the CCTV clip before giving an opinion, though .
I'm waaay behind and will try to catch up now.
No hint as to motive, yet ?

Omo.

It is one of the most interesting things (so far) in determining what happened. And is why I keep talking about CCTV.

eg:
CCTV overlooking dumpsters and bins.
CCTV at the Telstra tower.
CCTV at Mt Clear College.

Where could the CCTV be from? And what was he doing in that CCTV that sparked the investigators interest in him?

Is it like the Jill Meagher case where investigators could see, on CCTV, the perp following Jill?
Is it like the Suzanne Morphew case (USA) where the perp is on CCTV dumping stuff in a dumpster?
Is his vehicle the only vehicle seen entering the forest area on CCTV somewhere, at the relevant time?

imo
I'm thinking it's from the Butt Street, Elsworth and Joseph Street that they mentioned. IMO

In Particular -

The Sunday Herald Sun reports police have identified a new location of interest in the search and are reviewing security camera footage from businesses in a light industrial and residential area of Ballarat East.

Homeowners and businesses in Elsworth, Joseph and Butt streets in the suburb of Canadian have handed over footage from the time Ms Murphy disappeared and police have also searched the area, which is home to businesses such as panel beaters, gyms and self-storage facilities.

Maybe he is captured -

- throwing something in a bin - or out of a window
- leaving a premises with something - (tool - digging equipment - from self storage)
- washing vehicle
- returning/disposing of a item to self storage area
- leaving/or arriving from the Canadian Plantation forrest from this area
- arriving by bike - leaving by car or vice versa
- having a shower in the gym

All My Own weird Opinion.

It will be revealed to him and his attorney when the brief of evidence is ready, in 20 weeks time (well, 18½ weeks time now).

But, like you, I would imagine the police have been pushing really hard for him to give up where Sam is, so they may have revealed some of their evidence to him and (presumably) his attorney.

imo

Police prosecutor Steve Repac said police were seeking 20 weeks to compile a brief of evidence in the case.
There was no application for bail, and the man will reappear in court on August 8 for a committal hearing.

Hmmm...
If the evidence (possible cctv, DNA) is so damning (murder charge),
why to ask for 20 weeks?

Hmmm...
If the evidence (possible cctv, DNA) is so damning,
why to ask for 20 weeks?

They always ask for a bunch of weeks.

Gives them enough time to get the brief together in a logical format, with all of the necessary attachments.
Hopefully, Sam will be found within that 20 week period, and they can add further evidence.

imo

I completely agree with you. I believe this attack is something he's been thinking about and planning for a long time. Maybe not with Samantha as the specific target, but a woman jogging alone at just the right (or wrong, for her) time for him to strike. He would have chosen the location carefully and figured out where he was going to hide the body, and rehearsed it all until he was sure he wasn't leaving any major evidence behind. IMO, MOO, etc., etc.
Why, though ?
If he premeditated this or spur of the moment:
  • To look like a tough guy.
  • Gang initiation.
  • Injustice collector who finally flipped out in a rage.
Also wondering if there are any other victims who have yet to come forward ?
If the perp robbed or assaulted someone before -- is this death a first for him ?
So many questions.
Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members