Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

ADMIN NOTE:

Move on from the bickering over hate crime and race. At this time there is no known fact to support speculation that this was a hate crime, and unless LE indicates they are investigating this case as a hate crime, the topic is off limits.

Thank you.

It seems wrong that the media is calling this a fight, no? Is there any reason to think the victim wanted to be there fighting? It sounds like an assault.

This is so horrible and scary. What has gone so wrong in that group of teenagers?

I hate to say this, but you have not been to a high school or even a middle school lately have you? You'd be appalled at what is allowed.
I’m shocked! Apologies if I offended anyone.

We have very strict dress codes in Public schools in Louisiana. It covers everything from clothing, shoes, piercings (only ears) , tattoos (not visible), hair (length & color)..it goes on and on.

example - Student Dress Code

We have very strict dress codes in Public schools in Louisiana. It covers everything from clothing, shoes, piercings (only ears) , tattoos (not visible), hair (length & color)..it goes on and on.

And I personally find nothing wrong with that. I’ve always believed that a standard uniform for students helps them to focus on what they’re in school for, to learn. There’s no competition with who has the better clothes, accessories, handbag or hair style. You can still socialize when it’s an appropriate time, but no one is fighting because they are jealous of someone else’s appearance.

That dress code is close to what we had when i was in school. Shorts weren't even allowed when I was in high school. But dress codes have been increasingly tossed out, often by courts, and do not seem to be enforced even when they exist. Administrators are terrified of kids and their advocates now.

This part of the St. Louis metroplex is extremely rough, and for a lot of these kids, this is the only kind of life they've ever known.

<modsnip>
So sad. Fight to survive. Join gangs to be protected and survive. I wish this world were better for all the kids in it. It's a mountain for an adult to escape, so much more for a child.

It seems wrong that the media is calling this a fight, no? Is there any reason to think the victim wanted to be there fighting? It sounds like an assault.

This is so horrible and scary. What has gone so wrong in that group of teenagers?

I believe both girls turned up to fight eachother over an ongoing issue, and things quickly got out of control, now both girls lives are ruined in different ways.

It's not been reported as far as I can tell so you'll have to take this as MOO, and maybe search Kaylee's name in other places and see what pops up.

As for the girl who so savagely attacked Kaylee, there can't be any excuse even if there turns out to be a reason. She had the upper hand as soon as Kaylee was down with the first punch and she didn't walk away. She had a choice and she chose to repeatedly smash another human being's head into the concrete, there's no defending that.

So what happens if a teenager there gets a tattoo on their hand, grows their hair too long or shaves it off, etc?

We as a society really need to look at why violence seems to be increasing in certain locations, and adults need to work hard to reconnect with youth in those locations. People are saying the area where this attack took place isn't the safest area. It's time to prioritize figuring out how to help change this for the kids who are currently in elementary school. But I think generational trauma is part of it and is difficult to change...

School Dress Codes. Uniforms?

@BayouBelle_LA
No worries, no offense in noting your local school's dress code.

W a quick search, I found these references* re Hazelwood School District's dress codes. It appears that Hazelwood High School East was not a "uniform school."

IDK whether any of the students' outfits in vid did or did not comply w the school's dress code.

The least of potential problems now for anyone involved imo.

"DRESS CODE
"Students must come to school dressed in appropriate attire every day. Students’ grooming is expected to be neat, clean and in good taste so that each student may share in promoting a positive, healthy and safe atmosphere...."
"Students should respond appropriately to any reasonable staff request involving the dress code.When, in the judgment of the principal, a student’s appearance or mode of dress disrupts the educational process, or constitutes a threat to health or safety, the student may be required to make modifications...."
^ page 33 of e-numbered pages, page 22 on hard copy^

"Dress Code Violations (POLICY JG)"
More DETAIL here.
^ page 84 of e-numbered, page 71 on hard copy^

"Student - Parent Handbook and Behavior Guide 2024 - 2025"

FWIW, seems Hazelwood School District has students and/or parents of various linguistic backgrounds.

At link, this Handbook is also available in Spanish, French, Swahili, and Arabic.

Any indication the assailant was not a native English speaker?
I had a hard time understanding the audio on the vid clips I heard.

I believe both girls turned up to fight eachother over an ongoing issue, and things quickly got out of control, now both girls lives are ruined in different ways.

It's not been reported as far as I can tell so you'll have to take this as MOO, and maybe search Kaylee's name in other places and see what pops up.

As for the girl who so savagely attacked Kaylee, there can't be any excuse even if there turns out to be a reason. She had the upper hand as soon as Kaylee was down with the first punch and she didn't walk away. She had a choice and she chose to repeatedly smash another human being's head into the concrete, there's no defending that.
I don't think we have heard anything from anyone about what happened prior to this, have we? I find that a bit surprising. Kids not wanting to snitch on anyone guess? There are several dozen people there. Are we to assume that no one knew anything?

Honestly, I don't see how the victim, who was significantly smaller than the perpetrator, would have willingly agreed to a physical altercation. She was outweighed by at least 70 pounds, and the perpetrator was significantly taller as well, by at least 5 inches, if not more.

No one is that stupid. The victim looked like a runner, not a fighter. Which may account for the premeditated blitz attack by the perpetrator. She probably knew that if she didn't immediately get the victim down on the ground, she would run.

So sad. Fight to survive. Join gangs to be protected and survive. I wish this world were better for all the kids in it. It's a mountain for an adult to escape, so much more for a child.
One thing I've consistently heard from people who work with this population is that they had never seen a child who had hope voluntarily join a gang.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allisonvsmith
Back