TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't believe that Brenda Dye, the county coroner who signed off on "no autopsy" for Tammy Daybell, is still the coroner in Fremont County.

Her testimony is going to be critical for this trial. One would hope that Tammy's relatives could support changing the law in Idaho, that if a healthy person dies at home, to have an autopsy be mandatory. Not determined by an elected official, with a high school diploma. Zero background in crime.

There is enough evidence to prove Chad was not living like an upstanding Mormon. If he's depending on that, he will be very disappointed.

Oh really? You think? (Sarcasm).

A jury acquitted OJ Simpson. A jury acquitted Casey Anthony.

IMO, it's not a good idea to make assumptions about what a jury will decide. They haven't been following the case on social media, they haven't already made up their minds. They'll only hear the evidence presented by the prosecution and the defense, and we haven't heard that either.

JMO

I haven't been paying close attention...didn't Prior say he was resigning? And then called for a delay because of new evidence?
Well, Prior was and then he wasn’t. In the end, the judge said he had to stay and Chad wanted him to stay, so JP stays. This motion is out of left field.

Listening to these jury selections just shows me that I'd make a terrible lawyer. There's some of these jurors I'd be tempted to dismiss just because I think they'd be difficult for the other jurors to work with! ;) (People who can't seem to make up their minds... who come off as argumentative... who have difficulty expressing their views clearly...)

(ETA: I'm also not buying how some of these potential jurors are downplaying their media exposure...)

Last edited:
Looks like he is a death penalty qualified attorney. Though looking at the filing quotes in the order, I wonder if this is a case of drunk filing? Legal | Ratliff Law Offices | United States

Edited to clarify.
This is crazy. I saw the motion posted on SM yesterday and didn't bother to post it here because of the typos and I figured it was just some random weirdo filing stuff like they have in the Delphi case.

One potential juror had difficulty with the idea of conspiracy. He said it would only be an agreement if it was verbal. When they called him in privately, they asked him if he could follow the court's instructions about the law and conspiracy. He said he could, he was passed.
I predict he will be struck for cause though.
They are at 50 but continuing with the rest of the group.

One potential juror had difficulty with the idea of conspiracy. He said it would only be an agreement if it was verbal. When they called him in privately, they asked him if he could follow the court's instructions about the law and conspiracy. He said he could, he was passed.
I predict he will be struck for cause though.
They are at 50 but continuing with the rest of the group.
If I were the State, I would absolutely 100% use one of my preemptory challenges on that guy; he really did not seem to like the idea that someone could be charged with conspiracy without physically committing the illegal action.

And then there were 50…well 52 actually…and we have a jury pool! Next phase is peremptory challenges. I don’t have any idea how that works. Do attorneys make their challenges based on previous questioning? Or do they bring all 52 back and ask more questions before making their challenges?

So if you are one of the ones excused over the past few days, are you breathing a sigh of relief? Or are you disappointed?

Same questions if you were one of the ones called in to answer the questionnaire but now don’t even have to show up for voir dire.

LOL it was my question but I agree it was an interesting and helpful answer!
Guess I need to look more carefully when I post! Apologies for the confusion. I do feel like this is a community -- and one I value greatly. Feels like talking with old friends over coffee.

You all may remember that KSL News did a 2-part story with us back before Lori went to trial HERE and HERE. I was contacted by Dave Cawley regarding possibly doing something additional in association with Chad's trial. I'll keep you all posted if we do put something together. I should also note that if you visit those links the 3D Sketchfab model is temporarily disabled but should be available soon when a couple revisions are completed.

If Chad's defense plan is to blame Lori... why is he still married to her? Will they try to (lamely) suggest he was (and remains) a gullible goober manipulated by Lori?

He should have played "let's make a deal" with the prosecution rather than letting this go to trial. jmo (at the moment)

If Chad's defense plan is to blame Lori... why is he still married to her? Will they try to (lamely) suggest he was (and remains) a gullible goober manipulated by Lori?

He should have played "let's make a deal" with the prosecution rather than letting this go to trial. jmo (at the moment)
I’m hoping JP reveals their strategy in opening statements. I suspect that he will blame LVD & AC for the murders of Tylee & JJ but might admit to helping cover them up after the fact since they have to explain them being found on his property. Some have suggested they will try to say he didn’t know they were put there but I can’t imagine even JP thinking that would work. I also suspect that with Tammy, the defense will keep insisting she died of natural causes and the asphyxiation was either because of her sickness or that she must have tangled herself in the sheets or something.

Actually, the prosecution made that claim in their case against Lori:

"She manipulated Chad through emotional and sexual control".

However, although it might be an excuse, it's not a defense in law. There's no 'She was so hot, I couldn't help myself' defense.

He'd have to have some elaborate story about how Alex and Lori kept him in the dark while it was all going on...but testifying would mean the prosecution could cross-examine him about all the evidence that shows his involvement, and I don't think he's quick enough to convincingly answer questions. Like Charlie Adelson, that often just convinces a jury that he's lying...

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member