Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not... this is what it states on their website

JURISDICTION
Although we are known as the Cold Case Cowboys, we are the Cold Case Squad of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office in Roseburg, OR. Because we are sworn officers of the DCSO, we can only investigate crimes which fall under the jurisdiction of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. In other words, we can only investigate cases happening within Douglas County, OR.
If you have a cold case that you would like to have re-opened, you may contact us and we will provide you with some information that may be helpful in getting "your" case re-opened.
JaneInOz..It would be interesting if the "Cold Case Cowboys" would take a look at this case.

http://www.thecoldcasecowboys.com/cold_case_cowboys_case_3.htm

Just to give you all an update, I'm still in contact with the woman in Canada who is assisting me with trying to find out any information on a doctor in Canada who had a son named Jock/Jacques. In the meantime, I contacted Bulova Accutron this morning and asked them about the #H918863. The man I spoke to told me that they no longer have records from 1968, but he told me that these types of watches during this time period were found in New York and Switzerland. He also said that most of the watches were sold in the United States. I also contacted a watch dealer to see if he could assist me and he was unable to provide any information.

We seem to be all thinking in similar channels here. I too, thought about the cold case cowboys only to find out they only work the county they reside in. Double darn.

Elliott, keep up the good work!

I checked, and the person who designed the iceni ships has passed away at the age of 70. Apparently someone has taken over the business, so we could write to that person to see if the deceased ever spoke of missing friends or the near adult children of friends who went missing to him.

What happened to the pictures JaneInOz posted over in newspaper forum or was the posting in some other slot?

We seem to be all thinking in similar channels here. I too, thought about the cold case cowboys only to find out they only work the county they reside in. Double darn.

Elliott, keep up the good work!

I checked, and the person who designed the iceni ships has passed away at the age of 70. Apparently someone has taken over the business, so we could write to that person to see if the deceased ever spoke of missing friends or the near adult children of friends who went missing to him.
I also checked some of the Missing Canadians sites including Native Americans because both John and Jane Doe had olive complexions and could have been Native Americans. Oh, and I checked the origins of the names Jacques and Jock. Jock is of English origin. Jacques is of French origin.

What happened to the pictures JaneInOz posted over in newspaper forum or was the posting in some other slot?...

Just: Have you found the pictures that Jane posted of the murder victims?

I saw them yesterday, and thought Jane did an excellent job lining the photo's side by side..
It really helps in identifying the couple.. are they GONE ???:eek:

...Im not sure how to post pics here.....but here are a couple of links if they work to a site showing similiar rings with intials inside them......and they each seem to have 3 intials on the inside of them....but cannot see it clearly...........

http://www.amazon.com/14Kt-Yellow-B...0006JMSGO/ref=pd_sbs_jw_1/180-4649766-7859445
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009SOGN0...IS6ZLB&tag=shopzilla_rev_1322-20&linkCode=asn

addon......and sapphire is the birthstone of September......so perhaps he was borned in September?
.......something t3ells me, these two may have been from Canada, but not as citizens, but as guests etc....they may have flown into Canada and came to the US, to travel the country, and celebrate the bicentennial celebrations throughout the country.........it saddens me to think they came to this country, to fulfill a dream to visit here, especially the 200 birthday of America, and there travels here got them murdered, they were friendly people, and trusted most, someone i feel took advantage of there kindness, and it cause there death..........there statement where from Canada.........makes me think more that was there original disination, from there real homeland......in 76 to enter USA, perhaps it was easier for them to fly to canada first, then travel down and into america.....hence there statemnet, where from canada...........perhaps we should concentrate south of the border, and neighboring countries such as columbia etc, for looking at there pictures, i sense nothing indication they are canadian residents........to see if any missing persons reports had been reported in 76 77 time period........back then, in 76 a foriengner missing here, there could have been a language barriour in finding whom they are......unlike today, options were limited at that time...........ALL JUST MOO.....and trying to offer a different perspective on the situation.

Just: Have you found the pictures that Jane posted of the murder victims?

I saw them yesterday, and thought Jane did an excellent job lining the photo's side by side..
It really helps in identifying the couple.. are they GONE ???:eek:

They're back up! Not sure what happened there. Yep, Jane did a great job.

Too funny. Christine's making faces at me because I tried to see Jane's photos without the benefit of being logged in. That's why they disappeared. Silly, ninny, me.
LOL

Probably not... this is what it states on their website

BUT it does say

OR.
If you have a cold case that you would like to have re-opened, you may contact us and we will provide you with some information that may be helpful in getting "your" case re-opened

Im off too bed all

Happy V day to you all :blowkiss:

I had a beautiful day x I hope you all did too x

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY,
JaneInOz, justthinkin and all you big hearted, smart Sleuthers! :blowkiss:...:rose:

Happy Valentine's Day to you,
Mysterylover & all you sleuthers
working this case and others.

But for you working this case let me just :blowkiss::blowkiss:

As background reading for this case, let me recommend:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/peggy_cuttino/index.html
Another case that happened in Sumter, but in 1970. It will give insight into the community, LE, etc. Besides, it's a fascinating story.

Happy Valentine's Day to you,
Mysterylover & all you sleuthers
working this case and others.

But for you working this case let me just :blowkiss::blowkiss:

As background reading for this case, let me recommend:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/classics/peggy_cuttino/index.html
Another case that happened in Sumter, but in 1970. It will give insight into the community, LE, etc.
Besides, it's a fascinating story.

justthinkin: Fascinating story and what an eye opener! There should be a Movie ?
It answered the questions about why "our Jock" case goes unsolved...imo

The following are a few interesting things I Learned: Read the entire article to learn even more! just my opinion!

Howard Parnell was a funeral director/mortician by trade and was made Coroner by means of politics and being the nephew of Sheriff Byrd Parnell.

Margaret "PEG" Cuttino was a beautiful 13 yr. old girl murdered, raped and sodomized, in 1970, in Sumter, that looked a lot like our Jane Doe.

On the day Margaret disappeared, she walked down the street by the YMCA building, which was under construction on a vacant lot alongside her sister's school.

One of the men working on the building was Pee Wee Gaskins.

Then, thought to be a small-time hood and part-time police INFORMANT... Gaskins later found to be a serial murderer..

Things changed after LE pinned her murder on a young male with an IQ of 70.

The sheriff had been in office 20 something years..He could do no wrong, then this thing broke.
People started questioning the sheriffs case.
For the first time at lunch counters and coffee shops the people of Sumter started using the word "cover-up".

Junior Pierce claimed that he had been threatened, bordering on torture if he didn't confess to Peg's murder. Those allegations, gained greater strength among the people of Sumter years later when Sheriff J.B. "Red" Carter from Baxley, Georgia, was convicted in federal court for his part in a drug-trafficking scheme in GEORGIA.

In 1977, Donald Henry "Pee Wee" Gaskins, the South's worst serial killer, and was standing trial for a murder in Florence County, made the shocking announcement that he, not Junior Pierce, had abducted and killed Peg Cuttino.

QUOTE:
In the 1970s, Young was the assistant solicitor who prosecuted Gaskins in the Florence case.
When Young finally showed up at the Medical University of S.C., "they took me to a parking garage in the basement, (where there were) all these rows and rows of files.

I inventoried them, I went through them one by one, figuring that maybe something was out of place.
The only drawer, the only drawer in the ENTIRE group that was MISSING was the one containing (the samples drawn from the body of) Peg Cuttino."

To some, there could be a thousand innocent explanations for the missing files. They could have been destroyed by FIRE, as were other state records, they could have fallen victim to one of the many hurricanes that wreak havoc on that part of the country, they might have even have been accidentally discarded,
victims of the changes that have taken place in file management over the years.

But Young says he remains suspicious.

The way he sees it, the missing files are a pretty strong indication that "somebody's trying to impede my investigation of this.".....Young says he also believes that a second set of slides were sent directly to SLED, the state's equivalent of the FBI, and that they too have mysteriously vanished.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY conclusion after reading about Pegs rape/ murderers files and sample slides missing: Why would anyone go to the trouble of destroying the sperm samples that still had tails, IF the murderer was either PeeWee Gaskins or Junior Pierce?

I'm a South Carolinian. I work at the Medical University that you mentioned above. There's NO WAY that just ONE file would go missing, if it were caused by natural disaster. Security at MU has become very tight, even moreso in recent years with renovations. I don't know exactly what it was like in the 70's, but what I do know is that even now, floors that haven't received renovations often keep locked doors taped open or a peice of tape with the code to get into the door on the outside. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. So anyone could just walk right into the medication rooms, lounges with computer filing access, etc. But like I said, that's today and not in 1977.

I know a great deal about Gaskins. That's his MO.

They may cover this case in the coming weeks. Will keep you all updated.

I'm a South Carolinian. I work at the Medical University that you mentioned above. There's NO WAY that just ONE file would go missing, if it were caused by natural disaster. Security at MU has become very tight, even moreso in recent years with renovations. I don't know exactly what it was like in the 70's, but what I do know is that even now, floors that haven't received renovations often keep locked doors taped open or a peice of tape with the code to get into the door on the outside. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. So anyone could just walk right into the medication rooms, lounges with computer filing access, etc. But like I said, that's today and not in 1977.

I know a great deal about Gaskins. That's his MO.

ITA. I've read enough about Gaskins to know that too. He also liked to keep his victims alive and torture them awhile.

Actually, I believe our victims were made to look like a Gaskins dump. Gaskins was also known to leave people by the roadside in remote areas in some instances. He wasn't known to be fond of guns though as a way of dispatching his victims.

Were all his victims identified--the ones that were found? What about the trio he called hippies and said they were from Oregon? Were they identified?

Serial killers do not just suddenly start killing people at age 45. Gaskins had to have been killing all along. Did he just grow sloppy or was someone covering for him?

Was Parnell the official that Gaskins was working for? The article doesn't say. Parnell was gone from office by the time this mystery couple was murdered.

Runr, do keep us posted, please. That's very encouraging news. At least I hope it is. What could be offered is ever more confusion though. I hope that's not the case.

Hi everyone,

I did some research on the jewelry of Jane Doe and I visited a few sites. The jewelry I looked at strongly resembles some Navajo jewelry I saw. Moreover, the Navajo Indians have an extensive population in the states of California, New Mexico, Utah and California in addition to the country of Mexico. Now, John Doe was carrying Grant's Truck Stop matches on him. Where were they located? Idaho, New Mexico, and Nebraska.

I think I might have figured out what the initials "JPF" means. Through my research I have discovered that there is a Navajo artist who signs his initials JPF on the jewelry he designs. Here is a link to an item where the initials are mentioned: http://santafe.craigslist.org/jwl/1015587013.html

The person who posted this said the piece used to be owned by his grandfather and was given to him by his mother ten years ago. If his grandfather owned it then we have to assume that it must have been around for awhile.

Here's another item: http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/Fron...quoise_Sterling_Silver_Bolo_Tie_By_JPF_Artist

Is it possible that JPF is actually the initials of this artist and not Jacques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg