Trail to the Water & Cadaver dog hits

route of the tracking dogs

This is the post with the map that was done by JWG of the route of the tracking dogs.
[I don’t know how to bring this over to this thread]
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3307947&postcount=318

EDIT Newer version of map

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3327183&postcount=4

Do you know where the bus stop is on the map? Is it in the same area, could the dogs have picked up her scent from the bus stop?

Early on in this case, there were reports that one of Haleigh's scent trails had been tracked to/or close to the water. We also know that a considerable amount of time was spent searching in that area.

From an early interview with Sheriff Hardy:

Sheriff Hardy, you stated that dogs had hit near water. Has the child ever been down to the water with adult supervision? What do you make of them hitting near the water?

HARDY: Nancy, the -- we had several bloodhounds that went ahead and did several different tracks. They did track down towards the water area. We don`t know, you know. These bloodhounds can track scent for several days. Their noses are very astute. And so as far as tracking Haleigh all the way down to the water, that -- we`re uncertain about whether or not that Haleigh ended up in the water.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0902/11/ng.01.html

According to Sheriff Hardy, a scent trail can linger for "several days." Had Haleigh been down to the water with Ron or Misty (or any other adult) in days previous, or was this a fresh trail?

There also seems to be conflicting information about Haleigh being afraid of the water. Some interviews indicate this is the case, yet we've seen photos of Haleigh at the beach with wet hair.

Your thoughts?

Ronald had the kids all weekend and he was off work. LE took his john boat early on. I think it could indicate maybe he had taken the kids out to fish possibly? If so, it could account for the scent lingering where the dogs would pick it up.

Even kids afraid of water love a beach if they are not forced to go in, but sit near the edge to get wet with an adult there. They don't mind wading pools or kiddie pools either.

It has always bothered me about 2 things that the dogs went to.
The RR tracks and the dock at the water.
Lots of photos show a happy girl all wet, water in the background.
She doesn't seem to be afraid of water that much.
IIRC, the water was searched at first but the river goes to JAX and ocean.

I missed the part about a boat? So, there was a way for someone to transfer Haleigh from land to the deepest part of the pond or to the river?? How far would one have to carry the child to get to the boat?

I wonder if Ronald had ever given permission for anyone else to use the boat.

The beaches that Haleigh was most likely to go to - Flagler and Crescent - are on the east coast of FL, and are much different than the beaches on FL's west coast and the beaches on the Pacific. [Just for reference.] Wide, sandy beaches, crashing waves. Definitely a destination-type body of water.

St. Johns River and canals tend not to have any kind of beach area, just straight drop-off from land. Depth of water varies, but I've seen few spots you could wade in except for at boat launches.

There is a super YMCA in South Putnam county with pool and swimming classes. Wonder if she knew how to swim?

Regardless, anybody who lives near any water, needs to teach their kids survival swimming at a minimum, especially if they are taking them out in a boat.

Kids are naturally attracted to water, be it a river or a water hose.

Not sure where the boat was located, but I am assuming it was near the house. It was a distance to the water from the trailer (not sure how far).

Anyone know what kind of boat it was? How fast could it go? How loud would it have been?

Any links to info about the boat would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Not sure where the boat was located, but I am assuming it was near the house. It was a distance to the water from the trailer (not sure how far).

Do you think the dock where Ronald gave the paper to LE is where his boat had been?

I understand they can't say for certain (within a few days at least) when Haleigh may have walked that path. However, if it's true that they never used that door, and the scent follows her specifically out that back door and down the ramp, when else is it supposed to have happened?

Ronald had the kids all weekend and he was off work. LE took his john boat early on. I think it could indicate maybe he had taken the kids out to fish possibly? If so, it could account for the scent lingering where the dogs would pick it up.

Even kids afraid of water love a beach if they are not forced to go in, but sit near the edge to get wet with an adult there. They don't mind wading pools or kiddie pools either.

okay....what is a john boat and does your post mean that LE took a boat that belongs to Ronald? Did they give the boat back yet? I thought I had been at this from every angle....don't know how in the world I missed a boat!

I have posted a few times about this johnboat. I have yet to hear that LE confirmed they had taken one. Can someone give me a link or something that confirms this boat belonged to RC or anyone else outside of LE for that matter. I know on day one there was a twitter report that LE drove by with a johnboat, but I am thinking it LE's boat that they used for searching. Again I may have just missed the confirmation that it was evidence. Can anyone confirm anything on this boat?

I have posted a few times about this johnboat. I have yet to hear that LE confirmed they had taken one. Can someone give me a link or something that confirms this boat belonged to RC or anyone else outside of LE for that matter. I know on day one there was a twitter report that LE drove by with a johnboat, but I am thinking it LE's boat that they used for searching. Again I may have just missed the confirmation that it was evidence. Can anyone confirm anything on this boat?

Maybe the boat belonged to someone else. LE hasn't told us who the van they're processing belongs to either. But for Misty's blanket to be in it, there has to be some connection there.

If so, it seems Misty and Ron should be suspecting that person or persons by now.

Here's an early report about the water search.(bold mine) It attributes the search to a lead gathered while canvassing the neighborhood. Could be an error, but worth a mention:

February 18--

Most of the ground and water searches have been curtailed, though a marine unit was on the water Tuesday.

A neighborhood canvas Monday night of 300 homes by 100 officers turned up the lead that put that boat in the water, but it did not produce any significant find, Ryan said. In addition, 210 cars in the neighborhood were stopped and the occupants questioned.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publishe...&topicId=100020825&docId=l:929187600&start=20

okay....what is a john boat and does your post mean that LE took a boat that belongs to Ronald? Did they give the boat back yet? I thought I had been at this from every angle....don't know how in the world I missed a boat!

bumping back up hoping that I can get an answer. :D

I understand they can't say for certain (within a few days at least) when Haleigh may have walked that path. However, if it's true that they never used that door, and the scent follows her specifically out that back door and down the ramp, when else is it supposed to have happened?

Good thinking, Cynic. Thanks. Unless Ron or Misty recalled a recent incident that they used the back door to walk down to the water with Haleigh, it had to be a fresh scent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Betts79
Back