Attorney for Casey Anthony's parents comments on state seeking death penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawyers don't actual type things, they dictate and the secretary types them. This I know as sure as the sun comes up in the morning. I heard a paralegal tell one of our lawyers once, it would take you less time to just type this yourself and he very condescendingly told her, "Darling, I don't get paid to type, I get paid for knowing what the letter needs to say!" I later forgave him and married him. LOL

ROFL so true!! When I was a legal intern, after drafting a ridiculous multi-state memo for a partner - digging through tons of books - he looks at it and says, "You forgot Colorado, that statute says...." - I looked at him and asked, You know all of this by heart? And I had to dig through dusty books?

His response: "My golf tee-time was 10am. And you needed something to do all day. And the firm can bill for 8 hours instead of 1. Works for all of us!" :banghead:

Now I need some advice about how to marry 'em :)

The attorney for Lee Anthony, Casey's brother, said he did not expect the state attorney's office to make this move given the evidence that's been made public.

He described what his client is going through."He is probably in shock and horror as is the rest of his family that the state is prosecuting the case to this level," Thomas Luka said.

http://www.wesh.com/news/19189900/detail.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-caysey-anthony-family-statement-041509,0,3019441.story

Sarah Lundy | Sentinel Staff Writer
3:59 PM EDT, April 15, 2009

The attorney for Casey Anthony's parents released a statement today about prosecutors seeking the death penalty against the 23-year-old.

"The State's decision to seek the death penalty will not change the support and love the Anthony's have for Casey. Casey Anthony, like all other defendants, is entitled to the presumption of innocence. If the State can overcome that presumption before a jury of 12 of Casey's peers, the Anthonys will then begin to deal with the potential sentence," Brad Conway said in an e-mail to the Orlando Sentinel.

Where are we going to find a dozen, child killing, party going, unemployed, compulsive liars?

No wonder it's added a year to the trial date - we need to find a jury. :eek:

Okay, Conway's statement annoyed me, but Luka's statement makes me mad. :mad:

Lee's attorney states:
"He is probably in shock and horror as is the rest of his family that the state is prosecuting the case to this level," Thomas Luka said.

snipped from: http://www.wesh.com/news/19189900/detail.html

Why didn't we hear about Lee's shock and horror, or the rest of his family's, when they found out Caylee was duct-taped, triple-bagged, and thrown away like garbage? Whether they think Casey did it or not, why did we not hear any shock and horror on Dec. 11th, or anytime after? Instead they were dining at the Ritz. It just brings tears to my eyes that I have never seen any tears for Caylee from this family.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-caysey-anthony-family-statement-041509,0,3019441.story

The attorney for Casey Anthony's parents released a statement today about prosecutors seeking the death penalty against the 23-year-old.

"The State's decision to seek the death penalty will not change the support and love the Anthony's have for Casey. Casey Anthony, like all other defendants, is entitled to the presumption of innocence. If the State can overcome that presumption before a jury of 12 of Casey's peers, the Anthonys will then begin to deal with the potential sentence," Brad Conway said in an e-mail to the Orlando Sentinel.

Typical. Isn't this not the way they raised KC? Stick your head in the sand and wait for the storm to blow over? If it buries you in the process, deal with it afterwards? The State held out giving her ample opportunity to tell the truth. She did not. Defiant, stubborn to a fault. When Mom and Dad displayed their abhorance for the system (those out to get their precious princess), in their ignorance, they showed everyone they've known the truth yet will fight to defend her until their last breath. Worst of that is, they think that is the right thing to do!

We get it that your love for your child doesn't evaporate because of what they've done but you don't have to support what they've done to show your love.

Shirley P. stated that she feels KC hated her mother more than she loved her daughter. Does Mom and Dad love KC more than they ever loved Caylee or was she just "not a 10"? I certainly don't see any pleas from them to find the supposed murderer? If this were my grandaughter, I would be on a crusade to find whoever I thought was my grandaughter's actual murderer (if that's what I actually believed), especially with my daughter sitting in jail all these months facing a murder trial!!

The way I see it, at this point, the State is the only representative that is legally standing up for Caylee.

Okay, Conway's statement annoyed me, but Luka's statement makes me mad. :mad:

Lee's attorney states:
"He is probably in shock and horror as is the rest of his family that the state is prosecuting the case to this level," Thomas Luka said.

snipped from: http://www.wesh.com/news/19189900/detail.html

Why didn't we hear about Lee's shock and horror, or the rest of his family's, when they found out Caylee was duct-taped, triple-bagged, and thrown away like garbage? Whether they think Casey did it or not, why did we not hear any shock and horror on Dec. 11th, or anytime after? Instead they were dining at the Ritz. It just brings tears to my eyes that I have never seen any tears for Caylee from this family.

Another ostrich with his head in the sand. There comes a time in everyone's life when they have to face the truth. Why don't they just "get that"?

Brad Conway and Jose Baez are acting like the part of severe sick co-dependents in an alcoholic family.

Were BC and JB friends before? I remember reading that BC was in JB's office in November. I was under the impression the A family did not meet BC in person till Dec 12. So was BC referred to them through JB? I kinda get that impression. They are two peas in a pod.

IMO the A's maintain a public face and a private face. Unfortunately, I don't think they have realized that the conflict that is taking place within them is not from the doing of any outside force but the result of their own choice to obstruct, evade, elude the truth and investigation. Guilty conscience?

:winkaway:
Brad Conway and Jose Baez are acting like the part of severe sick co-dependents in an alcoholic family.
They are typical of the criminal defense attorneys I am familiar with in my hometown. The degree of expertise varies, skill varies, personalities differ, but otherwise they, too, have to do their job which is to defend their client(s) who have retained them, according to the Code of Ethics. Though, IMHO, there are some that push the envelope to the edge on the ethics part.

Yet, does it not seem as if KC lived in a "made up world". Where do these peeps come from. The whole family seems to live in a world most of us can't see. Where did lil Caylee fit in this made up world? Maybe in all their heads Caylee was made up 2 and so in a made up world, you just drop a character and move on to other made up stuff. Swat it seems is happening in that family.

Where does KC being in jail for murder fit into this made up world? This made up child? WOW. Where is the line drown between real and made up?

I mean when will CA see that she can't MAKE a made up world any more.

You make an excellent point, mamabear! The As get rid of whatever bothers them.

- They didn't like the stuffed animals people sent for Caylee, so they bagged them up in trash bags and threw them out.
- Lee was bothered by the quiet protestor with the dog, so he threw out her sign and her dog's water bowl.
- They didn't like the flowers and notes and stuffed animals left for a memorial to Caylee, so they threw them in the trash.

This is how KC grew up. If it bothers you, get rid of it. If it bothers you, bag it up and throw it out. Caylee didn't fit in her world any more, so it's no surprise what she did to her, is it?

I really hope the SA will have a psychologist address this at trial, because I think it's key.

When the state you live in makes formal announcement that it may execute your child for something you know in your heart of hearts that she has done, even if you can't bear the humiliation of admitting it publicly, it is time to serious up and lose the BS.
They can't do that. They have to appear supportive of Casey, or the jury will automatically convict, saying "Even her own parents..."

Don't expect them to do otherwise. After the verdict, they will maintain their stance, for the appeals.

I think KC is so mad about Caylee being cremated and not buried as she requested, a grave site or head stone to go visit as JB stated were her wishes. I realize that it seems odd to post her wishes for someone she killed, but it shows that CA gets what she wants and she decided what was best for KC's daughter even in death. She couldn't carry out the wishes of her daughter (remember in her mind innocent and a victim of a horrible crime against Caylee) to have a grave site. Can you imagine how angry KC is about that? I don't think KC WANTS TO SEE ANY OF THEM. JMO not only did CA get her first when she was born; she got her last and made all the arrangements and didn't honor the MOTHER'S wishes!!
That made KC angry enough to kill...good thing she's in jail.

You make an excellent point, mamabear! The As get rid of whatever bothers them.

- They didn't like the stuffed animals people sent for Caylee, so they bagged them up in trash bags and threw them out.
- Lee was bothered by the quiet protestor with the dog, so he threw out her sign and her dog's water bowl.
- They didn't like the flowers and notes and stuffed animals left for a memorial to Caylee, so they threw them in the trash.

This is how KC grew up. If it bothers you, get rid of it. If it bothers you, bag it up and throw it out. Caylee didn't fit in her world any more, so it's no surprise what she did to her, is it?

I really hope the SA will have a psychologist address this at trial, because I think it's key.

:eek:

You're right!

Well, now this tells me that the 12 member jury that is required now (its now a death penalty case) verses the 6 member jury, will give the Anthony family a lot more comfort knowing twice as many people found her guilty! The state must be pretty confident about their case, and I always thought 6 people on a jury was too few.......

Now, if the presumption of innocence is lost on 12 people, after hearing the evidence, then the family will be more confident that the guilt is REAL. And they won't be coming back saying.......Well, only 6 people believed her guilt, I still don't believe it! This will go a LONG WAY in convincing the Anthonys if their daughter is guilty. In MY Opinion!

Good move on the States' part, and how empathetic of them to do this for the family to have closure!

I'm not so sure of that. Baez and others such as her family have been saying for a while that KC has already been tried in the media. My natural assumption is that if there was a hung jury, her parents would say "Justice has been served." If she is clearly found guilty they will bring up the whole "forces have been out to get her" or "LE has been purposely trying to destroy their family" from "day one." After watching these folks operate on an alternate plane of reality for the past ten months, I can't believe they will ever come to terms with the fact that their child is guilty. At least not publicly.

Well they're initial "reason" for not visiting was that the visits would be released to the public and that they would be vilified in the media...It's interesting to think about this after their debacle dispositions! They didn't care enough to get a handle on their behavior for the dispositions so, I cannot fathom why they would care less about their visits being made public. I'm starting to strongly suspect that, on JB's council, that KC has refused them visits.

MOO
Me, too!

Yet, does it not seem as if KC lived in a "made up world". Where do these peeps come from. The whole family seems to live in a world most of us can't see. Where did lil Caylee fit in this made up world? Maybe in all their heads Caylee was made up 2 and so in a made up world, you just drop a character and move on to other made up stuff. Swat it seems is happening in that family.

Where does KC being in jail for murder fit into this made up world? This made up child? WOW. Where is the line drown between real and made up?

I mean when will CA see that she can't MAKE a made up world any more.

When she admits she has a problem and gets help.. which probably won't happen but...

When the state you live in makes formal announcement that it may execute your child for something you know in your heart of hearts that she has done, even if you can't bear the humiliation of admitting it publicly, it is time to serious up and lose the BS.

Or at least shut up, ya know? Fine, OK- you have decided you will be there for your daughter regardless of what she has done or hasn't done, fine whatever do what you are gonna do.. but IMO if they love their daughter (as they claim) in any sense of the word they would shut their f^c&n% mouths. THEY will have helped put their daughter in the electric chair simply because they don't know when and what to shut up about!

If I was JoseB I'd have a serious sit down with them and explain (one would think they would realize this since they are adults, but that's another topic!) that these charges are very much real and she could likely be sentenced to death if convicted so it's time to stop your sick brand of "helping", shut your faces and let me do my job.. which is to defend her against these charges not help get her convicted!

For real, these people need to shut UP if they don't want their daughter to die!

JMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member