2009.05.19. Casey Anthony Civil Hearing @ 10:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another impression about the offensive figure of speech. Things happen fast in court when you're participating. While I'm sure the judge would see the problem with the statement in context, my impression was that he was reacting with some disapproval at the moment to the demeaning of his prior ruling. The suggestion was that it was just some attempt to give everybody something, as if he hadn't thought it out or had a reason for what he ruled. He seemed to me to be sort of bristling at that suggestion by the defense. That isn't to say he is heartless and doesn't care about the question of taste, or wouldn't upon reflection.

I agree with you. I predict sanctions.

First we've seen of, it if it is...thanks for cluing us in. I honestly just thought he looked pizzed...so did Cindy.

ITA momtective, that was Pizzed off, NOT grief. I haven't seen any REAL grief from the A's, just theatrics, anger and contempt for everyone BUT themselves and KC!

Lin? Amethyst?

Can either of you explain those differences between 'intentional tort' case, vs. 'negligence'.

I understand that they don't have to prove 'how negligent', which I took to mean that Morgan & Morgan might not have to show how deeply this has effected ZFG from a fiscal standpoint? i.e. the punitive damages won't be based on something like loss of income only?

Am I grokking that correctly?

What are the difference between an 'intentional tort' and 'negligent' cases?

TYIA

I'm also 'getting' this time that Judge R has likely read & watched the earlier A depos.

WFTV video up now:
http://www.wftv.com/video/19503363/index.html

Watching again now.
so I checked out the video, but don't have time to read this entire thread, so just a few comments: today's rulings come as no real surprise. We've speculated since early September, I believe, see here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2742178#post2742178"]ZG Hires Attorney - Lawsuit Against Casey Anthony - Page 35 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame], that Cindy's homeowner's insurance policy could be a pocket from which to obtain payment of any damages in the civil suit.

sooo...like Themis said not too long ago, here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3629451#post3629451"]Cindy's Deposition #3 *UPDATED* MOTION FILED - Page 4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame], it was brilliant that Morgan got Cindy to admit during her deposition that she'd been the one to say such-and-such about ZG on national television, simply brilliant! Punitives, anyone?!?!

Wow, so they are going after Cindy! I wonder if amending the suit has anything to do with LP's depo being rescheduled. I mean I'm sure there are clerks who would do the actual amendment paperwork and file it but I would think LP's depo would be quite a priority about now. What could Morgan have lined up that would trump that depo?:waitasec:

Wouldn't Morgan etal want to wait to depose LP after Cindy's redo???

Thanks, but only half right. I really thought they'd wait a bit. Maybe getting over this hurdle, the motion to dismiss, was enough and they are confident they can go after CA without a separate action as there is no cause to stay it for her culpability.

It's starting to look as if Morgan's team is done playing around and is hedging their bets on the Anthony money train. They now have CA's complete obstruction revisionist testimony on tape and her corroboration of the ZG story. Including the two women in this suit who may have both made and hidden money from this circumstance will prevent any creative asset-hiding on KC's part when push comes to shove.

As a resident of the Hopesprings address, KC's actions may be covered under the umbrella of the family's homeowner policy without naming the owner's in the suit. However, as outlined above, I do strongly suspect CA will be named in the future and they're going after a lot more than the insurance proceeds.

Since the Anthony's new Foundation is an "INC", don't be too surprised to find them putting everything they own under that umbrella. It will be a separate entity - untouchable by creditors or
lawsuits.

Thanks, but only half right. I really thought they'd wait a bit. Maybe getting over this hurdle, the motion to dismiss, was enough and they are confident they can go after CA without a separate action as there is no cause to stay it for her culpability.
Bolded by me, Chezhire.

Attorneys don't usually wait when they've already got deposition statements to back up the amended complaint's substance. No real reason to do so.

Moreover, since the facts that give rise to the cause of action against Casey are almost identical to those that give rise to the cause of action against Cindy (they swerve off the path for Cindy when they allege that she went on national tv, which facts become different for the case against Cindy, but the facts leading up to that point of divergence are going to be identical,) one must typically bring them together. Filing separately would invite a motion to join/consolidate, which would have been a slam dunk.

so I checked out the video, but don't have time to read this entire thread, so just a few comments: today's rulings come as no real surprise. We've speculated since early September, I believe, see here: ZG Hires Attorney - Lawsuit Against Casey Anthony - Page 35 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community, that Cindy's homeowner's insurance policy could be a pocket from which to obtain payment of any damages in the civil suit.

sooo...like Themis said not too long ago, here: Cindy's Deposition #3 *UPDATED* MOTION FILED - Page 4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community, it was brilliant that Morgan got Cindy to admit during her deposition that she'd been the one to say such-and-such about ZG on national television, simply brilliant! Punitives, anyone?!?!

TY so much, Chez. I was just looking for that depo post.

I agree with you, this lawyer offended the judge, repeatedly, and this will not bode well for him going forward in front of him. If this is the type of leader they have on the civil case, no wonder the Anthonys felt they could go in a deposition and have zero respect for their oaths. I predict sanctions.

Kasen is a smart alec twerp who needs 4 more years of law school and a little charm school wouldn't hurt either.

you're quite welcome...but which one???

The one you posted above by Themis that was on page 4 of the CA depo thread. I was just searching that thread for where the discussion really kicked in about CA cornering herself with the defamation. And voila! There you were with link in hand. :blowkiss:

If you have a few minutes, would you educate on 'intentional tort' vs. 'negligence'? [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3762401&postcount=207"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2009.05.19. Casey Anthony Civil Hearing @ 10:00[/ame]

*starts the grill to make the steak sammich*

They can't get blood from a turnip. The prisoner will remain in jail,she has no money...blah blah. What a waste of court time. HUGE WASTE
I hope you don't mind my jousting for innocent sport, The A family may not have any turnips but they have shown you can make money from nothing off of the circumstances they find themselves in. ZG might have to wait in the wings while the A family must pay others for the help they've been provided and possible further litigation. Don't count any of the A's out for we have seen how resourceful they can be. Makes me wonder if CA is on a payment plan to a cosmetic surgeon that has been reported she has frequented. In order for the A's to tend to their financial obligations, they may have to forgo trips that requier airfare, hotels, meals out ect... God forbid the A's can't pay for their counseling, beccause that may be the only thing that could help them deal with their reality. There are only so many freebies in life before you must be responsible for your actions and obligations. Something obviously KC never learned and The A's haven't to date.

Bolded by me, Chezhire.

Attorneys don't usually wait when they've already got deposition statements to back up the amended complaint's substance. No real reason to do so.

Moreover, since the facts that give rise to the cause of action against Casey are almost identical to those that give rise to the cause of action against Cindy (they swerve off the path for Cindy when they allege that she went on national tv, which facts become different for the case against Cindy, but the facts leading up to that point of divergence are going to be identical,) one must typically bring them together. Filing separately would invite a motion to join/consolidate, which would have been a slam dunk.

Wise counsel, indeed, as always and as always, thanks. Due to the impending/potential abatement of KC's end of the civil case, I think I would have held on to the separate action option, unless I was confident the new half could proceed while the original defendant's participation is suspended. That argument may have defeated a motion to consolidate; ZFG's rights as to the tort by CA should not be stayed due to criminal charges against KC. I haven't researched it though and it appears they're confident they'll be able to proceed against CA in the present tense even if they ultimately are not allowed to proceed against KC until after the criminal trial. Guess there's more than one reason that Morgan and Mitnik are Morgan and Mitnik and I'm just lil ole me and don't even have ONE billboard with my big head on it! ;)

Wise counsel, indeed, as always and as always, thanks. Due to the impending/potential abatement of KC's end of the civil case, I think I would have held on to the separate action option, unless I was confident the new half could proceed while the original defendant's participation is suspended. That argument may have defeated a motion to consolidate; ZFG's rights as to the tort by CA should not be stayed due to criminal charges against KC. I haven't researched it though and it appears they're confident they'll be able to proceed against CA in the present tense even if they ultimately are not allowed to proceed against KC until after the criminal trial. Guess there's more than one reason that Morgan and Mitnik are Morgan and Mitnik and I'm just lil ole me and don't even have ONE billboard with my big head on it! ;)
You're welcome. Where has Casey's participation been "suspended?" I must have missed that somehow...:waitasec: Got a link to this point?

The one you posted above by Themis that was on page 4 of the CA depo thread. I was just searching that thread for where the discussion really kicked in about CA cornering herself with the defamation. And voila! There you were with link in hand. :blowkiss:

If you have a few minutes, would you educate on 'intentional tort' vs. 'negligence'? Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2009.05.19. Casey Anthony Civil Hearing @ 10:00

*starts the grill to make the steak sammich*
Ya know I aim to please. :)

You're welcome. Where has Casey's participation been "suspended?" I must have missed that somehow...:waitasec: Got a link to this point?

It hasn't yet but potentially may due to the death penalty being back on the table. Expect a motion from Kasen soon. He brought it up at today's hearing.

:waitasec: What? The point is, this ZG's lawyers have suggested that KC obtained this woman's name from that document. Why would KC then change the name, spelling, family details etc from those used on the document? What would be the point of choosing this woman to 'frame' in some way but then changing her name, spelling, and other details?

This is the same KC who takes kernels of truth from other situations and adds them to her own. Jeffrey H, Zachary, Juliette Lewis, Raquel, just to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter