NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, Fayetteville, 10 Nov 2009 - Allegedly sold by mother #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
North Carolina has an educational consent law, which can be found in the North Carolina Code at section 115C-366, whereby an adult who is raising a child informally can enroll the child in a school district where the adult is a domiciliary provided certain conditions are met. Two affidavits are completed and submitted to the school district under this law: (1) The affidavit of the parent, legal guardian or legal custodian and (2) the affidavit of the adult with whom the child lives. If the parent is unable, refuses or is unavailable to submit the affidavit, the adult's affidavit should include a statement that the parent is unable, refuses or is unavailable. For a copy of this law, click here, then scroll down to section 115C-366.
http://www.adopting.org/adoptions/l...s-page-6-medical-and-educational-consent.html
i hope i linked this correctly.

They need a thanks times 1000 button.
Thank you for finding this. I couldn't find anything.

oops! didnt see this post before i posted my post basically posting the same questions. im a :loser: lol!

Not sure what this means but..when Shaniya went missing, the police go to the school to check their records. From there, they find Carey's name and go to her house. A friend had to call Brad about the news.

belle3 just rendered this post null and void.

Thank you.

I found this a couple of days ago on Cumberland County's school site:

http://www.stuassign.ccs.k12.nc.us/Enrollment.htm

Parent(s) or court appointed custodian(s) must provide the following documentation to the school upon presentation for enrollment:

Kindergarten:

Certified birth certificate

Record of immunizations

Health assessment

Proof of residency in the attendance area of enrolling school

1st – 12th grade:

Certified birth certificate

Record of immunizations

Last report card, withdrawal documentation, or transcript from previous school

Proof of residency in the attendance area of enrolling school

Notarized “Oath of Affirmation Upon Admission” (provided by enrolling school)

Not sure what this means but..when Shaniya went missing, the police go to the school to check their records. From there, they find Carey's name and go to her house. A friend had to call Brad about the news.

Sorry - relates to this post - is it possible that the school didn't have Brad's information.
Originally Posted by panthera
Good questions. I would think the school would need proof that BL had the right to enroll her in school, that she was living with him in that school district, and so forth. Without a formal agreement or his name on the birth certificate I don't know how that would've been possible. Also with him out of town so much I think he'd have to appoint someone to pick her up from school, etc. MOO

That's another thing that varies here. Where I worked if the parents were not together, proof of divorce/death of a parent/guardianship/and visitation must be presented. Where we live, all I had to do was fill out on the form that their father was deceased, yet they ask for so much to prove residency.
That really does help a lot to answer my question ~ thanks!

North Carolina has an educational consent law, which can be found in the North Carolina Code at section 115C-366, whereby an adult who is raising a child informally can enroll the child in a school district where the adult is a domiciliary provided certain conditions are met. Two affidavits are completed and submitted to the school district under this law: (1) The affidavit of the parent, legal guardian or legal custodian and (2) the affidavit of the adult with whom the child lives. If the parent is unable, refuses or is unavailable to submit the affidavit, the adult's affidavit should include a statement that the parent is unable, refuses or is unavailable. For a copy of this law, click here, then scroll down to section 115C-366.
http://www.adopting.org/adoptions/l...s-page-6-medical-and-educational-consent.html
i hope i linked this correctly.
Thanks so much! I tried looking at different sites but missed that one.

carey could simply have been the emergency contact. maybe they tried bl first and then when unable to reach him tried the emergency contact.

Kinda O/T:
(Although it is not technically torture, women also don't seem to have a problem forcing others into sexual slavery. A recent United Nations report showed that more than 60 percent of those convicted of human trafficking in Eastern Europe and Central Asia are females.)
http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200911-omag-women-torture/2

I know it doesn't include the US, but that surprised me.

thats my question though, even if bl was on the birth certificate ad was on it too. they wouldve also needed her consent to put shaniya in school unless there was some formal custody agreement giving bl sole custody and according to all reports there was nothing formal about the sgreement for shaniya. so how did they circumvent these rules if ad was not a part of shaniyas life as put by bl

How did he get medical treatmeant for her?

Kinda O/T:
(Although it is not technically torture, women also don't seem to have a problem forcing others into sexual slavery. A recent United Nations report showed that more than 60 percent of those convicted of human trafficking in Eastern Europe and Central Asia are females.)
http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/200911-omag-women-torture/2

I know it doesn't include the US, but that surprised me.

A few years ago I might have been surprised...not anymore.

IMO the only facts we have at this point is what LE has released.
Not much.

I keep seeing pics of that younger blonde. I see people referring to her as the new girl friend/fiance. Do we have confirmation that is who she is?

Not AFAIK. People tend to believe she is his fiancée because his friends and an early report (?) said he had one, combined with her appearances with him and their body language together. I'm thinking it's either her, or the fiancée is MIA, and he's just very close that way with someone else.

TMK, no one has said she isn't, except for a poster on a site, who said she was actually his niece.

It's looking like a lot of balls were dropped by a lot of people. :no:

Poor Shaniya. :(
I realize at Shaniya's age, school wasn't a requirement, but more than anything I'm trying to figure out why she was withdrawn and if it's connected to the charges AD faces now. MOO

How did he get medical treatmeant for her?

Or health insurance...

What's required for her to be listed as a dependent?

He must be her legal guardian, somehow, mustn't he?

I'm still not sure why we doubt his being listed on her birth certificate? Just the name?

But, if he isn't on the birth certificate, and there is no formal agreement, that isn't any kind of proof of Shaniya's residence. You have to prove the child's residency.

Actually, I know parents that have bought land in the adjoining county here in SC, just so their children could attend schools in that county.
Sadly, SC and NC have some strange rules.

I realize at Shaniya's age, school wasn't a requirement, but more than anything I'm trying to figure out why she was withdrawn and if it's connected to the charges AD faces now. MOO

if bls plan was to give shaniya to ad to raise to become a mom why even bother enrolling her in the first place. that bugs me. she was in school for what 5 weeks maybe. so it seems to me that something happened all of a sudden to prompt shaniya going over to her mothers. imo

The birth certificate is still a big if, I don't see any indication that he wouldn't be on it. In fact, if AD really was getting child support for Shaniya, then he has to be listed as her father somewhere.

carey could simply have been the emergency contact. maybe they tried bl first and then when unable to reach him tried the emergency contact.

I thought of that - gone to a neighbors to see if anyone knew anything. But the police would have called his cell. Why did he first hear about it from the neighbor? The police were talking to Carey when Brad called her with the news. Something very fishy.

It is my understanding that once she was enrolled into school, she would be required to attend even at age 5. That's how it is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee