OK - Donald 'Joe' Neff, 61, Poteau, 14 May 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the gf wasn't involved, she could have made an off-handed remark to somebody which set the chain of events in motion. Possibly about the money in the safe.

However, with the money left in the safe and on the body, I am leaning away from robbery as the motive. I really wonder if he didn't stumble upon something while riding his horses. He would have to be able to put a name with the illegal activity. Maybe this person came to see him before the bar opened and Joe let him in to talk. This person assaulted him. They didn't shoot him in the bar because a gunshot would draw attention so they took him out to the strip pit.

I'm sorry to be so graphic, but is the girlfriend or bar patron able to tell you how much blood? I hate to keep hitting this point, but to me, it's important whether he was likely alive or not when leaving the bar? Who cleaned up the crime scene? I don't think OSBI typcially cleans up the crime scene. There are a few private companies to who that.

I also am uncomfortable with discussing such specifics, knowing that family are reading. However, family that are reading here are looking for answers and, in my experience, are able to compartmentalize to some degree in order to get those answers that will lead to justice for their loved one.

I am curious about the blood in the bar too. Indications are that there was a significant amount, so am wondering how the perp(s) were able to remove Joe from that location without blood being found elsewhere (i.e. the friend who showed up early at the bar .. was there blood on the door, the steps, in the parking lot, etc?)

Post #107 by mysticrose over in Jody Rilee Wilson's thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84012&page=5

There seems to be some interest for whatever reason in a couple who owned "The Bar" in Potuea, seems Jodi was good friends with them and they sold the bar shortly after she went missing. Take it as you will as I have no link to this info just being discussed on topix.

Joe owned a bar in Poteau, apparently Jody was friends with owners of "The Bar" in Poteau, and Jody's car was found at a bar in Henryetta.

Wonder who the previous and current owners of "The Bar" are. FWIW, their myspace album has what I believe to be a photo of Jody.

Just a thought ... Jody went missing May 4/5 and her body was found May 9 near Poteau. If Joe was riding around Poteau for recreation, i'm wondering if he rode near where Jodi was found, and unbeknownst to him, saw Jodi's perp in the area.

My dad was murdered May 14, 2009. After 3 days of us hunting for him, he was found shot and dumped into a strip pit.No known enemies, local business owner his entire life. Very well like & respected in this community. Would anyone please take a look at any of the articles regarding his murder and see if anyone has any ideas? Joe Neff, Poteau, Oklahoma. Channel 40/29 Hometown News & Poteau Daily News & Sun has covered this story from day 1. His murder was a week and a half after the other unsolved murder of Jody Rilee Wilson in Heavener. As of yesterday the LE brought in 2 FBI 2 US Marshalls 2 more OSBI They formed a new task force to solve these 2 unsolved murders. Lets hope we get some answers.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope that soon you will get the killers. I believe there is more than one killer. He was most likely stalked for some time. Perhaps they were ex-cons or teens on drugs. It could have been a Hit of some kind. He was definitely targeted. This is all my opinion of course.

Trying to keep these OK cases separate in my head, but found this quite a coincidence ...

While sleuthing on this case and Jody Rilee Wilson's case, I googled the Pig Out Palace (where Jody's car was found sitting for approx 4 weeks). Google images comes up with a pic of the bar with an older, bright red pick-up parked out front. Dunno how many peeps in OK drive trucks that look like this, but given LE is looking for one, maybe they could check this out:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2924605174_cbc157a0c7.jpg?v=0

Will also post this in Jody's thread in case somebody can tie something together.

PS: im' not in the US, so if someone feels this significant to pass along to LE, please do so. I assume they read here, but just in case. Prolly nothing, but we never know until we know.

Trying to keep these OK cases separate in my head, but found this quite a coincidence ...

While sleuthing on this case and Jody Rilee Wilson's case, I googled the Pig Out Palace (where Jody's car was found sitting for approx 4 weeks). Google images comes up with a pic of the bar with an older, bright red pick-up parked out front. Dunno how many peeps in OK drive trucks that look like this, but given LE is looking for one, maybe they could check this out:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3191/2924605174_cbc157a0c7.jpg?v=0

Will also post this in Jody's thread in case somebody can tie something together.

PS: im' not in the US, so if someone feels this significant to pass along to LE, please do so. I assume they read here, but just in case. Prolly nothing, but we never know until we know.

while i doubt anyone who actually went so far as to say the truck was an import would get it confused with an f150, since they didnt know the specific brand it IS possible. If it turns out that the truck is registered to the ower of that establishment i would say it bears some investigation...and makes you wonder if there could be some association between the owner of the pig out palace and "the bar"

interesting...good find

while i doubt anyone who actually went so far as to say the truck was an import would get it confused with an f150, since they didnt know the specific brand it IS possible. If it turns out that the truck is registered to the ower of that establishment i would say it bears some investigation...and makes you wonder if there could be some association between the owner of the pig out palace and "the bar"

interesting...good find

I guess it depends to a large degree on the witness's knowledge of vehicles, and under what circumstances the witness saw the vehicle (was it just a vague recollection, under suspicious circumstances, partial view, distance, lighting, etc.). For me, with my untrained eye, to compare the Ford F150(?) pickup shown at the Pig Out to a Mazda pickup or a Nissan pickup, I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

NOTE: I'm posting these pics to show how similar the different make vehicles can be, not to cast aspersions on innocent people who may own them. If someone thinks I should delete them for any reason, please let me know.

PickupatPigOut.jpg

Ford F150(?) pickup shown at Pig Out Palace

Mazdapickup.jpg

Mazda (age unknown)

1997Nissanpickup.jpg

1997 Nissan

The red f150 the the top picture would be a1997 to 2003 year model. The Mazda and Nissan are smaller pickups they would be about the size of a Ford ranger. If the red Ford was involved in anyway the wheels would stand out big time they are gold. Most usually wheels are aluminum or chrome. Most people in that area would know a Ford or Chevy over a import.

I have been better. I am just proud that the holidays are over. Still no news, if you can believe it. I am not sure how it can be any more depressing than this. Thank you all, I will try to get back on here very soon and catch up.

Marie, how are you doing?

picture.php

That truck could be a 1997 to a 2003 F150 red was a popular color.

The red f150 the the top picture would be a1997 to 2003 year model. The Mazda and Nissan are smaller pickups they would be about the size of a Ford ranger. If the red Ford was involved in anyway the wheels would stand out big time they are gold. Most usually wheels are aluminum or chrome. Most people in that area would know a Ford or Chevy over a import.

Those wheels are actually silver, they are either dirty or just look that color in the photo for some reason

What is considered an "older model" these days (as in an older-model red import pickup truck)? The 90s?

How long had the strip pit been there?

Thinking if the killer(s) are someone who lived there before and knew about that place as somewhere to leave Joe's body.

Those wheels are actually silver, they are either dirty or just look that color in the photo for some reason

For some reason, that was my first impression too, Slammed (which is kind of weird, because it looks like a new paint job ... maybe it's the contrast between newish paint and older looking wheels ... or very shiny wheels picking up the yellow from the overhead yellow signage).

Let's say Average Joe Witness sees a suspect truck from approx 100 feet, or from a vague recollection of having seen a vehicle of a particular colour parked in a parking lot ... specifically, what is it about that vehicle that would stand out to the witness that smacks of import rather than domestic (i.e. is size the main indicator or are there also full-size import trucks? If import trucks are typically smaller, how would that same witness determine whether it was a smaller Ford Ranger or a Nissan/Mazda, etc)?

The reason I'm asking is I have something nagging at me, and when I "went there", lo and behold ... there is a partial view of an older red pickup in the yard, but I suspect it is a domestic as opposed to import. I think my underlying thought/impression is based on a bigger chrome bumper, but I really don't know why I'm thinking this !!

Was reading about the missing Jamison family in the same general area as Joe and Jody and others. As in Joe's case, there was a large amount of money left behind in their vehicle. They had taken money with them as they were interested in purchasing a property.

Joe was a business man, and I haven't seen any reference to indicate that his demeanour that morning was unusual when he was paying his water bill and buying the part at NAPA. With the "thousands" missing from the safe, am wondering if he was planning on purchasing a property, making a large cash down-payment on something, and had made arrangements to meet with the seller (i.e. possibly through a private listing or a Craigslist ad)?

If the truck was seen from a long distance maybe, but the f150 in the picture appears to be a 1999 f150 xl , I have a friend who has a blue one and is a big truck. I agree the witness description could have to do with how much they know about trucks,but they could say they thought an f150 xl was a small truck if they only saw it from the front at a distance of at least 75 feet. If It was close I couldnt see how anyone would use the word small for the model unless they themselves drove a tractor trailer.
Now from 75 feet front veiw ,it appears like a whole different story the truck looks smaller at a front veiw and appears lower the the ground due to the back piece on the bumper. I would say it is possible for them to have mistaken it for a small truck that way and when I starting posting this I was like no way.

If the truck was seen from a long distance maybe, but the f150 in the picture appears to be a 1999 f150 xl , I have a friend who has a blue one and is a big truck. I agree the witness description could have to do with how much they know about trucks,but they could say they thought an f150 xl was a small truck if they only saw it from the front at a distance of at least 75 feet. If It was close I couldnt see how anyone would use the word small for the model unless they themselves drove a tractor trailer.
Now from 75 feet front veiw ,it appears like a whole different story the truck looks smaller at a front veiw and appears lower the the ground due to the back piece on the bumper. I would say it is possible for them to have mistaken it for a small truck that way and when I starting posting this I was like no way.

Thanks for your input Soul !! I guess so much depends on who the witness is. I was thinking along the lines of someone who maybe drove past Joe's bar that morning and having a recollection of there having been a red truck in the parking lot, or seeing a vehicle driving erratically, or someone close to where Joe's body was discovered having briefly seen a red truck, possibly at a bit of a distance. I'm a country bumpkin, used to seeing lots of trucks, but am not necessarily savvy in that field. If I were the witness and said I'd seen a red truck, and say LE showed me the above 3 pics ... the best I could do would be a colour match (given the variations of "red"), larger or smaller truck, and maybe a year range. Other than that, foreign or domestic, they all look pretty much the same to me. Hopefully they have a better witness than me ;)

Hi all, haven't been here for a while but I want to ask the family some questions that have been nagging at me...

Has the family 'interviewed' any of the witnesses themselves? It seems LE just isn't going to put much effort into this case for some reason and being that Joe was loved by everyone, that just doesn't make sense.

Has it been determined yet where LE got the notion that thousands of dollars were missing from the safe? I think a lot of emphasis is being placed on the safe but it doesn't sound like the house was a crime scene.

Has the girlfriend shown any interest in the case since the first couple weeks? Not implicating her, but the family is diligently trying to find Joe's killer but she has remained low key and oddly, the media hasn't named her where in any other case, the person closest to the victim would be flashed all over the news whether they wanted to be or not. Has she indicated that she's scared someone may come after her? If it was my boyfriend of a year, I'd be actively trying to get justice for my man.

Has anyone talked to the employees of NAPA auto parts to see what Joe bought? Was the item purchased found in his truck or in the bar? If not, why would it be missing? Was it for someone else's vehicle? Maybe the employees can tell the family if anyone came in the same time as Joe that he may have talked to in line or may have seen him pull out a wad of money to pay for something? I keep getting a nagging feeling that the red truck followed him from the auto parts store to the bar.

If LE isn't going to ask the questions, somebody should ask them and forward the info to LE. Maybe new info will spark some interest in the case. Joe sounds like the greatest guy. He deserves justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname