Landfill Searches

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAPD says there is no search currently underway.

A spokeswoman for the San Antonio Police said they have been trying to quash the rumor for nearly a week. She said no search is underway, but declined to say whether there would be a search in the future.

Tempe PD says there is no search currently underway.

Tempe police also said Wednesday they are not doing a landfill search.

Neither PD says there will not be a search. There's no conflict.

Third paragraph:
Phoenix and San Antonio television stations have been reporting conflicting information about whether has been a search, or if there will be a search.

I know the police are saying the same thing, but the reports haven't been consistent.

Third paragraph:
Phoenix and San Antonio television stations have been reporting conflicting information about whether has been a search, or if there will be a search.

I know the police are saying the same thing, but the reports haven't been consistent.

Okay, all I can say then is that I do not believe a search is currently underway. From the video footage it's apparent to me they're still in planning/pre-search mode.

If I see video footage of a search underway, or either PD confirms a search has begun, then I'll believe a search has begun.

San Antonio Landfill Ready For Police Search
KPHO.com
POSTED: 9:24 pm MST January 26, 2010
UPDATED: 10:20 pm MST January 26, 2010

The stage appears to be set for a massive undertaking at a San Antonio landfill in connection with the disappearance of 8-month-old valley baby Gabriel Johnson.

snip

San Antonio police said Monday that they had one more tip to follow-up on before making a decision on a landfill search. Tuesday night, police would not say if that tip materialized.

snip

There are two separate but parallel investigations going on. The first one is headed up by Tempe police on charges of kidnapping and custodial interference.

snip

The second is a missing persons investigation being conducted by San Antonio police in Texas.

So the two parallel investigations aren't a missing persons and homicide? AHHHH so confused!

And yet there is this report from last night, which says an area of the landfill has been roped off and that no more garbage is to be added there.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Optimis...-82760752.html

And channel 12's Mark Curtis (last night at 10pm) had said that it had begun and the baby wasn't found which was a relief for folks back in Phoenix.

I'm by no means an expert on landfill searches, and from I've read, they're very complex. They're done in stages, and each step attempts to avoid having to go to the next more difficult step. So during planning/pre-search one of the things they do is bring in cadaver dogs to see if they can get a fix on a certain area. The more they can pinpoint to a certain area, and the smaller they can keep the area for the full search, the less time, work, costs etc.

I've been trying to find a document I found during Natalie Holloway's case that was very very detailed on how a landfill search is done. If I can find it again, I'll post it.

Just as confusing as this whole thing has been. WTH?
Is SAPD thinking there's no reason to believe there was a homicide, so they're not wanting to use their manpower to search the landfill until there's reason in their opinion to do so? EJ said he was in the trash...RULE IT OUT for crying out loud!
I guess they just want to secure the area, but have a real tip they're following through on, and it's so credible they're using their manpower there instead? Man, I hope.
Up, down, left, right....I don't know where I am anymore.

The search was never planned, and won't be in the near future.

A spokeswoman for Republic Services, which owns and operates the Tessman Road Landfill in San Antonio, confirmed that they are using their expertise in managing landfills to help police. Peg Mulloy said landfills are highly engineered and well planned out. “Things are so well engineered that we can hone in on a date and a neighborhood,” said Mulloy, referring to locating a specific cell of trash in the landfill. Mulloy confirmed that waste mangers at the landfill have identified a possible search cell based on information provided to them by police.

http://www.kpho.com/news/22350884/detail.html

I hope that this company was asked to quarantine the possible dump area during the start of all this so that there isn't mounds of stuff dumped on top of it. The fact that it hasn't been searched boggles the mind. It is the only thing that doesn't add up to Gabe being murdered and dumped. Because if all they knew was what we all know, they should have searched there long ago!
They better have a good reason for delaying because if he is there, in a trash heap all this time, after EJ TOLD them she put him there, I will be really pissed.

Thank you!

San Antonio police insist that there is no impending search of a landfill there for the body of missing baby Gabriel Johnson despite a media frenzy surrounding the Tessman Road landfill off Interstate 10 in Texas.

I guess this means either:
1. No search is planned
2. There is a search planned, but it's not "impending" using the word as most of us would define it.
3. There is a search planned, but when it occurs is their definition of "impending"--which means it could start anytime they want.

Finally, I can't see an LE confirming they are about to do a bit search until they are underway. There's no good reason to confirm anything IMO.

PHOENIX -- Managers of a San Antonio landfill have blocked off an area that might be searched for the body of an Arizona baby who has been missing for about a month, but police said Wednesday that they weren't searching the site and didn't specify whether they planned to do so.

A portion of the Tessman Road Landfill was cordoned off in the last few weeks as part of the investigation into the disappearance of 8-month-old Gabriel Johnson of Tempe, Ariz., according to Peg Mulloy, spokeswoman for landfill owner Phoenix-based Republic Services.

She said landfill managers identified the area based on where Gabriel was last seen on Dec. 26. She added that the cordoned-off area was larger than a convenience-store parking lot.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1449514.html

BBM

See, now it's gone from LE saying no search to LE saying they won't talk about it.
I fully believe that they are planning to do this or may be doing it now, they just don't want the media to be right there if the search does find his body.
And that's only fair to Logan. I can understand, but I think the shift does show that it is likely happening.

PHOENIX -- Managers of a San Antonio landfill have blocked off an area that might be searched for the body of an Arizona baby who has been missing for about a month, but police said Wednesday that they weren't searching the site and didn't specify whether they planned to do so.

A portion of the Tessman Road Landfill was cordoned off in the last few weeks as part of the investigation into the disappearance of 8-month-old Gabriel Johnson of Tempe, Ariz., according to Peg Mulloy, spokeswoman for landfill owner Phoenix-based Republic Services.

She said landfill managers identified the area based on where Gabriel was last seen on Dec. 26. She added that the cordoned-off area was larger than a convenience-store parking lot.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1449514.html

BBM

That's saying park to me. What do you think?

ETA: Just noticed that's the Miami Herald. Which for some reason tells me they'd know less than locals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member