2010.11.18 AB/EB Court Dates - Other Charges [MERGED]

Pressure washer??? Was that used in the cleanup? Did they rent it and then pawn it? Did the boss own it for cleaning equipment?

You know, I don't know how to feel about her pleading not quilty. Does this mean there was no deal made for her leading LE to what they found of Zahra? Or I guess they caught her in enough lies and the deal was squashed?
I anticaipate that the defense is going to go after Adam hard, and I worry there may be enough reasonable doubt in a juries eyes as to Adam's involvement that EB could get off on this. Anyone else feel this way?

Question about legal system in USA/NC:

If EB is solely on trial for Zahra's murder, and her defense casts serious doubt over the role played by Adam (and the jury buys this), does this mean that EB automatically gets off because they cant see that she did this alone? If two people are involved in a crime together do they need to be tried together as a single unit for that crime (though perhaps with individual sentencing)?

I find it hard to comprehend that is the case, so I have to ask. This would mean uncountable people get off murder charges simply by raising circumstantial evidence that clouds the case, though doesn't prove anything conclusive.

Question about legal system in USA/NC:

If EB is solely on trial for Zahra's murder, and her defense casts serious doubt over the role played by Adam (and the jury buys this), does this mean that EB automatically gets off because they cant see that she did this alone? If two people are involved in a crime together do they need to be tried together as a single unit for that crime (though perhaps with individual sentencing)?

I find it hard to comprehend that is the case, so I have to ask. This would mean uncountable people get off murder charges simply by raising circumstantial evidence that clouds the case, though doesn't prove anything conclusive.

I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure they do not have to be tried together. In my state a mother, father, a 19yr old son and a 16 year old son are all charged with the murder of a man. Each one has different court appearances. The 16 year old had to be certified to stand trial as an adult. I believe there are other cases where more than one person is charged and they have separate trials. jmo

"On Monday, two felony indictments were filed against Elisa Baker for obtaining property by false pretense.

The indictments alleged that Baker pawned two items she did not legally own, a television and a pressure washer, at Hickory Pawn and Gun shop."

*snipped from http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14291181

These charges are not yet listed on http://injail.catawbacountync.gov/WhosInJail/ so I'll update with the court date when known.

Her next listed court date is on 04/04 for both the obstructing charge and the 2nd degree murder charge.

OK, so tomorrow (well day after since in the US) is the date scheduled in court for the charges:
– OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE FELONY
– SECOND DEGREE MURDER; AGGRAVATING FACTORS

WOW. I can't even begin to imagine the next few days.

I wonder if AB will be in court for his daughter today? I have not seen much in the news yet today, just one small clip saying EB is expected to enter a plea today.

Did anything happen today or was it put off again?

Elisa Baker almost collapsed in court. (roll eyes)

"While Levinson discussed the possibility of setting a new court date with Bellas and Reilly, Baker shook a few times and looked unsteady on her feet. Reilly eased her into a chair before she collapsed, where she remained for the rest of the hearing."

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2011/apr/04/14/baker-appears-court-has-near-collapse-ar-918445/

Also at link "Baker walked out of the courtroom clutching a cup of water. She was seen in jail by medical personnel, Reilly said, as a precaution."

At least eb got medical attention, what did Zahra get?

ETA: How ironic that eb has to wear pink now, wonder if it reminds her of Zahra's room?

I take great pleasure in the fact that the darkfairy has finally flinched, even a little bit. I guess I am not as highly evolved as I aspire to be after all.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see EB and AB burn at the stake in downtown Hickory.

With that said, I think media missed the story. Today was not about EB almost fainting, it was about the defense wanting to merge the two charges into one trial. Today was about the defense claiming he had not gotten all the prosecution's information, stating that 5 (or so) of the CD/DVDs would not play. And the prosecution was aware of that.

If the judge had approved the prosecution's request for a trial in May, whatever the outcome of that trial, the defense would have had a great appeal because of these non-working tapes with zero transcripts.

I think the defense is smart to want to combine the charges, because he must feel that the DA has scant evidence to prove EB murdered Zahra. We really dont know if AB or EB killed Zahra. And I think the defense is correct in calling "selective prosecution." Many of us have surmised that the prosecution is searching and piling on any charges he can find...possibly going for the 3 felony strikes law.

I reiterate, I hope both of them will be found guilty of Zahra's murder, dismemberment and improper disposal of a body...plus obstruction of justice, neglect and abuse by both AB and EB.

I hope the guilty party(s) is found guilty of Zahra's death/dismemberment/disposal. I have no personal issues with who they might be.

The case has (according to that article in Hickory Daily Record) been give a new court date of June 27.

I have to say I really take issue with the fact Reilly once again has been complaining about not being able to access some of the CDs from the DA's office. This is very unprofessional IMO and clearly an attempt to delay and feign lack of co-operation. All he needs to do is: 1) try open them on a Mac or at least different Windows computers; and 2) take them to a service provider that can access the information for him. A child could manage this task! There is nothing hard about this unless the disks were damaged in the hand-over to him. He should have dealt with this weeks ago when it was first announced, not in court today! grrrrrrrrr!

I have to say I really take issue with the fact Reilly once again has been complaining about not being able to access some of the CDs from the DA's office. This is very unprofessional IMO and clearly an attempt to delay and feign lack of co-operation. All he needs to do is: 1) try open them on a Mac or at least different Windows computers; and 2) take them to a service provider that can access the information for him. A child could manage this task! There is nothing hard about this unless the disks were damaged in the hand-over to him. He should have dealt with this weeks ago when it was first announced, not in court today! grrrrrrrrr!

I understand where you are coming from and agree with your grrrrr! But in the US court system the prosecution has to turn over the information to the defense (in readable format). This could be another problem with how inept the DA is...for he should have corrected this immediately.

Also at link "Baker walked out of the courtroom clutching a cup of water. She was seen in jail by medical personnel, Reilly said, as a precaution."

At least eb got medical attention, what did Zahra get?

ETA: How ironic that eb has to wear pink now, wonder if it reminds her of Zahra's room?

She doesn't need medical attention. She needs acting lessons.

I take great pleasure in the fact that the darkfairy has finally flinched, even a little bit. I guess I am not as highly evolved as I aspire to be after all.

Me too. I guess I'm not either.

I think the whole fake fainting spell was just her way of getting more attention fr herself. JMO

I think the whole fake fainting spell was just her way of getting more attention fr herself. JMO

Exactly. It was a ploy for sympathy from the court/general public AND a guilt trip for BS, who was in the courtroom, and AF who she knew would hear about it.

It wasn't even a very good performance.

ETA: I'm frustrated that she garnered even this much attention with it, so I'll ST*U before I earn myself a time out.

I know this is highly inappropriate but anyway ... she seems to have put on a bit of weight again. All the speculation that she was taking drugs and this had caused her to lose all that weight, now (presumably) no drugs, and voila!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back