TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped

Sorry, no hyberbole here. Between Jammer, Susan Murphy Milano, and Facebook, I think the description was accurate. They all qualify as media, in my opinion, and there are probably other media outlets I know nothing of.

FWIW, I was speaking only of the media proper when I said they had been mostly professional and sensitive to the case. There were a couple of examples of sensationalism but mostly tasteful reporting in my opinion. I didn't even think to consider someone like Jammer, a part-time shock jock who is not a journalist, to be media, and I definitely didn't consider comments made on Facebook as media either.

I want to be 100% clear here that I do not want to argue the definition of "media" and I'm not trying to criticize your definition. I simply want to clarify what I personally said earlier and what I meant when I was talking about the media.

I question whether someone who is trying to disappear would just toss a phone out a car window where anyone could pick it up and find out info via the phone. Seems to me they would thoroughly destroy the phone and dispose of it in a way to minimize it being traced back to their new location. If nothing else, tossing it out the window would be like leaving an easily traceable breadcrumb showing their path and possibly time of movement.

Date of last cell activity (article doesn't specifiy if it was a ping, a call, a text or what) was on May 2.

If Gail tossed her phone out the window, and kept on driving, she could be anywhere, right? And if she disappeared by her own choice, particularly if she looked up info on the net or at a library in books, that's exactly what she'd have done, because she'd have known she could be tracked by the pings.

I have read bits and pieces of this case...Gail was reported missing at the end of April correct? Her cell phone last ping was May 2 where was she between the dates? Where did her phone ping?

I am almost positive that it was her that I saw in my store..I did report it to our local PD and they said they would contact the proper State. I haven't heard anything back yet and it's been over a week...I know they thought I was crazy :floorlaugh: I had asked on here if there would be any reason why she would be in/around the Southern Seacoast of NH. Would there be any reason for her to be in this area? Relatives that have a vacation home on the Beach either in NH or Maine.

My store is located about 7 miles from where Camden was found. Would just like to know if it's possible that it's her because if it is I will do some digging around in the area at the local hotels.

snipped

So my question would be, what could be reasons for LE's behavior on this case besides irresponsibility or indifference? Could there be an explanation that makes sense? And the family. We know they love her and are heartbroken over this case. They filed court papers quickly to try to intervene for the children. They aren't indifferent here. So what could be the reason they aren't doing the things that so many people THINK they should be doing?

If LE knows something like that, why would they also be working with specific people like fireflylink and her search for Gail's Jeep? I think it's been mentioned they've spoken with Clive regarding local information and searches, too. Why would they allow the DA to ask the governor to offer reward money for information on Gail if they knew something that meant this was a situation that didn't need to be investigated?

And what possible explanation could there be that would explain the police not doing anything? Even if they think it's suicide, they would need to prove it was suicide and not foul play or something else, and they would need to be looking for Gail and the Jeep anyway.

This is again not directed anyone specifically. I just want to speak my opinion about a certain thing I've seen mentioned by multiple people.

Personally, I'm not convinced Gail's family isn't doing anything or even not doing much. We know so little about what anyone is doing, not just the family but LE, Matt's PI, Matt himself, etc. In light of our lack of knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes, I really, really question the necessity of asking why the family hasn't done more to find Gail.

The family has a lot going on. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have a missing sibling and want to both find her and pursue justice if it turns out a crime was committed, but at the same time not want your niece and nephew to be hurt any more than they already are. How helpless they must feel because they have lives in other states, their own families and jobs that need to be cared for. Maybe they're in denial. Maybe they don't know what else to do than the things they've already done. Maybe they're speaking with a lawyer and their own law enforcement experts quietly.

What I'm saying is that maybe what we perceive as lack of action isn't lack of action at all.

Those are my two cents, it's all my opinion and nothing more.

FWIW I don't believe for one second Gail left of her own accord. She showed tremendous foresight in planning for a major life change. Hiring a PI, giving money and valuables to friends and family for safe-keeping, entrusting a friend with possibly incriminating DVR recordings, getting counseling for her children. These are not the machinations of a suicidal or "crazy" woman. She was planning to move on with her life and I seriously doubt that life would not include her children. Something or, more likely, someone knew what was coming and decided to foil those plans once and for all. As a physician with many female patients who are victims of abuse, I can tell you Gail was following the directions I routinely give my own patients before they make their escape. And this is also the most dangerous time for them if the abuser catches on...

snipped

If LE knows something like that, why would they also be working with specific people like fireflylink and her search for Gail's Jeep? I think it's been mentioned they've spoken with Clive regarding local information and searches, too. Why would they allow the DA to ask the governor to offer reward money for information on Gail if they knew something that meant this was a situation that didn't need to be investigated?

And what possible explanation could there be that would explain the police not doing anything? Even if they think it's suicide, they would need to prove it was suicide and not foul play or something else, and they would need to be looking for Gail and the Jeep anyway.

If LE knows something like what? That's a big mystery to me. I don't understand it either. I'm just trying to go into a different direction since hollering "foul" hasn't gotten us anywhere. Is it possible to analyze LE's behavior on the premise that they aren't just neglecting their duty? Is there anything to see in that regard? I don't know. I'm not defending them, but just trying to look at a different angle.

And on the other point :sigh: ... can we maybe agree on the word "publicity"? It all goes to the point of causing a lot of damage, but I'll concede the word "media" if it helps. :peace:

I have read bits and pieces of this case...Gail was reported missing at the end of April correct? Her cell phone last ping was May 2 where was she between the dates? Where did her phone ping?

I am almost positive that it was her that I saw in my store..I did report it to our local PD and they said they would contact the proper State. I haven't heard anything back yet and it's been over a week...I know they thought I was crazy :floorlaugh: I had asked on here if there would be any reason why she would be in/around the Southern Seacoast of NH. Would there be any reason for her to be in this area? Relatives that have a vacation home on the Beach either in NH or Maine.

My store is located about 7 miles from where Camden was found. Would just like to know if it's possible that it's her because if it is I will do some digging around in the area at the local hotels.

Littleone, Unfortunately, interstate/interdepartment communications do not always work as we would hope (and, there hve been three or four different numbers provided since the case began). Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, TN - Criminal Investigations is the proper primary contact. Since you have not heard anything back from your PD, I am providing links and information (below) for you to contacts the investigating department directly if this is something you should choose to do. It can't hurt, and LE may be able to access local surveillance footage from area businesses for identification. Thanks for posting this information!

Hamilton County Sheriff's Department (TN) 423-622-0022, investigations@hcheriff.gov or http://www.hcsheriff.gov/

Note: the contact information in the following reports was correct at the time the reports were made. The local county sheriff's office is now the appropriate contact (above).
N.C.I.C. # 470005618 (FBI/NCIC National Crime Information Center) http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/index.html
NAMUS # 10838 (National Missing and Unidentified Persons System) http://www.namus.gov/

BBM If I remember correctly, Camden was found in or near South Berwick, Maine.

The reason I have bolded part of your narrative is that in my opinion the possibility that relatives may have "a vacation home on the Beach
either in NH or Maine" overlooks the very real fact that a vacation home in either NH or Maine could just as likely be found on or near one of the many, many lakes or the mountains of NH or Maine. I have spent considerable time in the northern New England states of Maine, NH, and Vermont since the mid 1960's; even today northern Maine and northern NH are very sparsely populated even at the height of the summer tourist season--especially in this economy and with the current high price of gas. I just returned from a two-week vacation in northern NH and northern Maine on Sunday evening so I'm sharing this information from a fresh perspective.

Thank you for your determined efforts to attempt to locate Gail!

If LE knows something like what? That's a big mystery to me. I don't understand it either. I'm just trying to go into a different direction since hollering "foul" hasn't gotten us anywhere. Is it possible to analyze LE's behavior on the premise that they aren't just neglecting their duty? Is there anything to see in that regard? I don't know. I'm not defending them, but just trying to look at a different angle.

And on the other point :sigh: ... can we maybe agree on the word "publicity"? It all goes to the point of causing a lot of damage, but I'll concede the word "media" if it helps. :peace:

Personally, I don't think LE has completely neglected their duty, but I also think they dropped the ball on a few occasions. In my opinion, LE is somewhere in the middle, not neglectful but maybe not taking the initiative at times when they really need to be. That's why I ask hard questions sometimes, but asking those things doesn't mean I'm bashing LE. Just questioning.

You don't need to concede anything, seriously. I just wanted to clarify that I thought you meant print articles or TV news. Now that I know what you meant, I agree that the radio interviews and comments online are a lot harsher than anything we read in the newspapers.

FWIW I don't believe for one second Gail left of her own accord. She showed tremendous foresight in planning for a major life change. Hiring a PI, giving money and valuables to friends and family for safe-keeping, entrusting a friend with possibly incriminating DVR recordings, getting counseling for her children. These are not the machinations of a suicidal or "crazy" woman. She was planning to move on with her life and I seriously doubt that life would not include her children. Something or, more likely, someone knew what was coming and decided to foil those plans once and for all. As a physician with many female patients who are victims of abuse, I can tell you Gail was following the directions I routinely give my own patients before they make their escape. And this is also the most dangerous time for them if the abuser catches on...

Thanks for this. ITA.

God help me if anyone close to me goes missing and they check my computer…. Smile@ beanE look what you have me doing :floorlaugh:
but BeanE's post re books on how to disappear got me thinking and searching. I found you can also find out how to commit murder, insurance fraud, arson, hire a hitman, get out of paying child support, how to check up on any member of your family or enemy, how to make bombs, commit suicide, launder money, get fake ID’s, change vin numbers on vehicles the list goes on and on. Heck you can even find out how to make a cake :eek:. (Ok the last one is so people can bake me a cake with a file in it when I get locked up:behindbar)

Sorry I haven’t got links to post, but no way in a blue fit was I going to click on a lot of the results of those searches, I am still watching out the window to see if the police turn up just because I searched some of those subject.

Even reading cases on here you can pick up great tips on what to do and what not to do if you are going to do something that you need to cover your tracks. I have come to realise how important it is to get rid of any electronic device (phones, security tracking devices off of vehicles, computers etc) if you are going to disappear or make someone disappear.

So really if Gail wanted to disappear there is plenty of info out there on how to go about it and on the other hand if Matt wanted to make her disappear there is also plenty of info out there on how to make it happen.

Sadly there is no crystal ball page out there to help if this is the result of an accident and Gail and her vehicle are just out of sight.:(

Off on a totally different topic, after reading every post in these threads I can honestly say I have no idea what has happened to Gail. There has been so much speculation on Matt did something, Gail was abducted, she left, had an accident or inflicted self-harm but nothing that seems hard fact that makes me go YES there is the answer. I just hope in time there are enough facts to give Gail’s loved ones the answer to the question…Where is Gail?

I apologise for the ramblings, just thinking out aloud. :sigh:

Just wanted to redirect toward locating Gail.
There are a couple things missing to me. Is there a date on her last known cell ping? It seems like she could have been coming (or going) from SM.

There are not that many routes she could have taken if leaving the mountain. Many more (up until SM itself) if she were returning from AL.

So for myself- I guess it boils down to the mountain- the cell pings- and the last seen location.

Great post Oriah...

Sorry to muddy the waters even further but does anyone know for sure if Gail actually made it all the way home to SM on 4/30?

Is there someone who could have impersonated Gail when SB saw the Jeep being driven away from the SM home at approx. 12:15 pm on 4/30? Whoever was driving the jeep, Gail, or someone else, that person did not acknowledge SB as Gail typically would have done.

I think if Gail had of driven back to the AL lake house on 4/30 and stayed there until 5/2 (date of last known cell phone ping at base of SM), Gail would have managed to get in touch with AD.

God help me if anyone close to me goes missing and they check my computer…. Smile@ beanE look what you have me doing :floorlaugh:
but BeanE's post re books on how to disappear got me thinking and searching. I found you can also find out how to commit murder, insurance fraud, arson, hire a hitman, get out of paying child support, how to check up on any member of your family or enemy, how to make bombs, commit suicide, launder money, get fake ID’s, change vin numbers on vehicles the list goes on and on. Heck you can even find out how to make a cake :eek:. (Ok the last one is so people can bake me a cake with a file in it when I get locked up:behindbar)

LOL....Too Funny!! :floorlaugh:

Sadly there is no crystal ball page out there to help if this is the result of an accident and Gail and her vehicle are just out of sight.:(

I Totally Agree with you on that one!!

I am almost positive that it was her that I saw in my store...Would just like to know if it's possible that it's her because if it is I will do some digging around in the area at the local hotels.
(snipped for brevity)

Another poster (sorry, not sure who it was, now) mentioned looking at surveillance cameras...are there any cameras inside, outside or in the general vicinity of your store that could be examined?

Does anyone know if Gail has any identifying marks on her face, neck, hands or other typically exposed areas of skin, i.e. birthmarks, moles, freckles, tattoos, scars, etc. that would assist in a nonconfrontational means of positive identification? TIA

(snipped for brevity)

Another poster (sorry, not sure who it was, now) mentioned looking at surveillance cameras...are there any cameras inside, outside or in the general vicinity of your store that could be examined?

Does anyone know if Gail has any identifying marks on her face, neck, hands or other typically exposed areas of skin, i.e. birthmarks, moles, freckles, tattoos, scars, etc. that would assist in a nonconfrontational means of positive identification? TIA

very good questions :)

The family has a lot going on. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have a missing sibling and want to both find her and pursue justice if it turns out a crime was committed, but at the same time not want your niece and nephew to be hurt any more than they already are. How helpless they must feel because they have lives in other states, their own families and jobs that need to be cared for. Maybe they're in denial. Maybe they don't know what else to do than the things they've already done. Maybe they're speaking with a lawyer and their own law enforcement experts quietly.
What I'm saying is that maybe what we perceive as lack of action isn't lack of action at all.
BBM

In general, so many questions and so few answers, at least so far....
Maybe money is an issue as attorneys and their assistants tend to charge hefty fees. Or maybe the family is acting according to their counsel's advice.

O/T Where did MacGyver go?

Date of last cell activity (article doesn't specifiy if it was a ping, a call, a text or what) was on May 2.

If Gail tossed her phone out the window, and kept on driving, she could be anywhere, right? And if she disappeared by her own choice, particularly if she looked up info on the net or at a library in books, that's exactly what she'd have done, because she'd have known she could be tracked by the pings.

It seems like that would be the case, Bean.
But I get a little hung up here as well. What about the GPS (s)? And especially the one installed by the manufactuer on Gail's Jeep?

Was it disabled? Malfuctioning? Destroyed?
Hmm. I am perplexed again.

I can see how tossing a cell phone would end with the last known ping.

But I can't figure out how a GPS installed on a vehicle would not ping - unless damaged. Kwim?

Been thinking that if the Jeep Rubicon is out there, the flyer gives a license plate #, wheel cover design, and trailer hitch logo; however, I believe a statement above or below that specific info stating that these items could have been removed, replaced or altered would be Prudent...otherwise the jeep could be right under someone's nose (no pun intended) and not paid attention to if it didn't have the same license plate #, etc. as shown in the flyer.

Also, if Gail is hopefully out there safe and sound, her appearance could be altered, as well. She could have another color and/or length of hair, a different color of eyes via colored contact lenses, less or more weight, etc etc etc.

My point being that people should look at the particulars that cannot be altered and go from there...

It seems like that would be the case, Bean.
But I get a little hung up here as well. What about the GPS (s)? And especially the one installed by the manufactuer on Gail's Jeep?

Was it disabled? Malfuctioning? Destroyed?
Hmm. I am perplexed again.

I can see how tossing a cell phone would end with the last known ping.

But I can't figure out how a GPS installed on a vehicle would not ping - unless damaged. Kwim?

IIRC, the manufacturer installed one was removed and given to Arlene. Gail bought a new GPS and put that on the Jeep.

I don't know how GPS works. I researched OnStar in a case and after a surprisingly short time of the car being turned off, it stops pinging, even for the emergency signal they can send to it, unless/until the car is turned back on.

How long does a GPS ping after a car is turned off? Does it vary by manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK