Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ks...-next-week-20110809,0,3128257.story?track=rss

Investigators also pieced together what happened in the mansion the night before Zahau was found dead, contradicting reports from neighbors there was a party inside the home.

The Sheriff’s Department also denied reports from an online tabloid that suicide had been ruled out in the death of Zahau. Lt. Larry Nesbitt from the homicide division called the story, “wrong”.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...i-son-girlfriend-death-investigation-wrapping

Law enforcement sources tell RadarOnline.com: "It doesn't look like Rebecca's death was by suicide. The evidence we have gathered so far, points us in the direction of this being a very, very suspicious death."

BBM

LE has not changed their story. They have not ruled out suicide or homicide.
They do know what happened Tuesday night. So they have answers to all our questions. They want all the forensic evidence to match with what they think/know happened.

What if they are waiting on the tox reports to show that she was heavily drugged? To prove that she could not have done this herself?

I don't take their recent statement to say that homicide has been ruled out.
I don't think they want to "tip" their hand at this time. Did they say what they said because they are still keeping tabs on the perp?

I'm still going with homicide; RN died a violent death....bizarre.....LE words in the beginning....

:banghead::banghead::banghead: Hopefully, this will stop soon!!

It seems they have retrieved all videos from various places that night and cell phone records too, including Rebecca, Jonah, Dina and Adams. I think LE is satisfied now with everyone's whereabouts and feels comfortable with the alibis that checked out or the alibis that didn't hold up... IF any didn't.

I am still not sure what they will declare the death to be. It isn't often LE comes out and point blank says a tabloid got it wrong. LE usually doesn't care what is being said elsewhere by others. Their office must have been bombarded after the radaronline story hit and found it necessary to make a statement.

Since I don't know what they are looking for in the toxicology reports I think it could go either way. Often suicide victims are under the influence of alcohol or drugs before they kill themselves and that can make them compulsive. Doing something they wouldn't normally do if they were sober.

The only reason I can think of them wanting tox reports if they think it is a homicide that they may think she was intentionally given enough drugs to kill her and the hanging was staged.

IMO

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ks...-next-week-20110809,0,3128257.story?track=rss

The Sheriff’s Department also denied reports from an online tabloid that suicide had been ruled out in the death of Zahau. Lt. Larry Nesbitt from the homicide division called the story, “wrong”.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...i-son-girlfriend-death-investigation-wrapping

Law enforcement sources tell RadarOnline.com: "It doesn't look like Rebecca's death was by suicide. The evidence we have gathered so far, points us in the direction of this being a very, very suspicious death."

BBM

LE has not changed their story. They have not ruled out suicide or homicide.

"It doesn't look like Rebecca's death was by suicide" doesn't exactly say it's impossible it's a suicide.

Sounds to me like the second reporter pinned them down and ask if they are saying it is definitely NOT suicide and they just don't want to say that.

I could be wrong, I just don't think they ever really thought it was a suicide but they could get criticized for saying it's definitely not when they are also saying that testing and such isn't complete. If they rule it's a suicide, I hope they have a really really thorough explanation for that and why it is not a homicide.

This morning I looked in my e-mail in box and saw....
Dysport
Medicis Aesthetics Inc. csaesthetics@medicis.com
Save up to $100 on frown line treatment!

I did a double take. Wonder if their worried about their CEO..attempting to drum up some business. I cough,cough did get a Restylain treatment a while back. But just once...any how I was surprised to see a note from Medicis in my in box.:seeya:

Valeant Contacts Medicis on a Deal
AUGUST 8, 2011, 9:51 P.M. ET
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904480904576496293954276376.html

>>>snip

Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. has approached Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp. about a possible sale to Valeant, people familiar with the matter said.

The approach comes amid an investigation into what authorities described as the unusual death of the girlfriend of Medicis's founder and chief executive, Jonah Shacknai. Since the girlfriend's death at Mr. Shacknai's home in July, Medicis shares have been underperforming the broader market, leaving the company vulnerable to a takeover approach, said people familiar with the matter.

(bold mine)
(article continues)

<<<snip

Interesting.
Wonder who is Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.?

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/110510/vrx10-q.html

On September 28, 2010 (the "Merger Date"), Biovail Corporation ("Biovail") completed the acquisition of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International ("Valeant") ...We are a multinational specialty pharmaceutical company that develops, manufactures and markets a broad range of pharmaceutical products primarily in the areas of neurology, dermatology and branded generics. [/QUOTE].

Valeant made a bid for Cephalon Inc. in May and apparently produces Wellbutrin (which is losing ground to generics).
Their thing seems to be takeovers and acquisitions

07/15/11Valeant Pharmaceuticals Agrees to Acquire Ortho Dermatologics
07/11/11Valeant Pharmaceuticals Agrees to Acquire Dermik

it is possible that LE wants to convey the image of being impartial or neutral and they want all the evidence in before releasing the results of their investigation, and the reason is simply because if it turns out that JS is the likely culprit, then his high powered lawyers will zero in on the unfairness of LE (and prosecution), and the case will be thrown out... I dont know how rich DS is(but same reasoning).

In other words, we are getting unofficial(newspaper sources) and Official(official LE press announcements) followups of this murder/suicide...

The article again claims it was RN's sister with her at the time. Does RN even have a 13 year old sister?

Unfortunately, the media probably just keeps picking up pieces of previous articles without questioning or checking facts. You'd think after Rebecca's funeral and memorial pages, they'd start asking "What sister?"

it is possible that LE wants to convey the image of being impartial or neutral and they want all the evidence in before releasing the results of their investigation, and the reason is simply because if it turns out that JS is the likely culprit, then his high powered lawyers will zero in on the unfairness of LE (and prosecution), and the case will be thrown out... I dont know how rich DS is(but same reasoning).

In other words, we are getting unofficial(newspaper sources) and Official(official LE press announcements) followups of this murder/suicide...

Kind of wonder if they are being careful because it could make Medicis stock go up or down also. I doubt Rebecca ever fathomed her death would effect the stock market!.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Medicis-recommended-weakness-theflyonthewall-453381163.html?x=0&.v=1

On Thursday July 14, 2011, 10:08 am EDT
Wells Fargo said there is no information as to whether Medicis' CEO is personally involved with the homicide that occurred at his personal home. The analyst said Medicis management has a contingency plan in place to cover a worst-case scenario and notes fundamentals remain intact. The firm maintains its Outperform rating and recommends buying shares on weakness
  • Thursday, July 14, 10:32 AM Medicis Pharmaceutical (MRX -3.6%) slides after reports that a woman was found dead at CEO Jonah Shacknai's home, which local police described as occurring under "suspicious circumstances." A Wells Fargo analyst says the company has a contingency plan to cover a worst-case scenario, and recommends buying shares on weakness.

by the way, heres news about a naked woman(looks asian) being rescued from a cliff. I wonder if this is Blacks beach in san diego(la jolla). I used to go there LOL. what the heck is she doing on a cliff? rock climbing in the buff ? Actually , I used to go to all the san diego beaches including coronado- being the beach bum I used to be before .
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ph...photos-naked-lady-rescued-from-cliff-2011-006

This is a unique case in that there is not a lot of information on neither the investigation nor nation wide media coverage. No leaks, nothing. Normally we get a full statement with the &#8220;According to an official, who was not authorized to discuss.&#8221; In this case there is absolutely nothing.

The silence has to be based on LE/D.A. potential issues that they must either contend with and/or avoid.

1. Temporary insanity defense
2. Evidence contamination or mishandling.
3. Excessive staging leaving only circumstantial evidence
4. Prejudicial publicity preventing a fair trial

Jumping ahead we know that Paul Pfingst has been hired and stated that he does not represent Jonah. This is an indication that there is a defendant. So the players are most likely set.

Tox report
One could die from a drug overdose and then be hung making the OD cause of death. Hanging is a physical death either broken neck or asphyxiation and it is verified in the autopsy. In this case the toxicology report is going to rule out factors in the cause of death more so than identify one although OD is possible but it would be hard press to match the scene with that theory.

LE some what collaborates the theory in referencing to a criminal act verses homicide. Suicide is not a criminal act per say in that you cannot press charges on the deceased. So implying a criminal act means that someone did something criminal.

Backing up a few week ago to my initial comment Staging, Humiliation and interrogation gone bad.

SCOTT BONN, PH.D., CRIMINOLOGIST

BONN: Well, I studied patterns of serial killers, and this almost looks like staging. It looks like that this may have been some sort of a deliberate attempt at humiliation and in retribution of some sort. It smacks of sex and rage in my estimation based upon what we know at this point, but of course, we have to get the results from toxicology. :fence: (oh just watching)

Inobu

Interesting reading on staging, particularly on staging a homicide to look like a suicide.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Turvey, B., "Staged Crime Scenes: A preliminary study of 25 cases," Journal of Behavioral Profiling, December, 2000, Vol. 1, No. 3. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This paper contains both a literature review of the subject of staged crime scenes and a study of 25 such cases. [/FONT]

It's a welll written article ... long too so I can't summarize, but here is an excerpt citing older research.
http://www.profiling.org/journal/vol1_no3/jbp_scs_1-3a.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O’Connell & Soderman[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In their work on the various methods of criminal investigation, written primarily for the police detective, O’Connell & Soderman (1936) dedicate a lengthy section of their Chapter 17 on the “Investigation of Homicide” to the question of distinguishing suicides from homicides (pp.260-277). Here they discuss the simulation of a suicide by hanging to conceal the crime of homicide, stating, “By hanging a murdered person practically the same marks as those caused by a strangulation may be produced.” (p.264) They specifically discuss the importance of carefully reconstructing crime scenes to establish the facts of a case, including the employment of Goddefroy’s method in hanging cases:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The examination of the rope used may reveal most important information. This question has been studied by the Belgian Detective, E. Goddefroy, and such examinations have led, in the last few years, to the solution of quite a few crimes on the Continent. The fibers of the rope will lie in the opposite direction of that of the pulling. If the person slides down a rope the fibers will be directed downwards. If what appears to be a voluntary strangulation is in fact a murder and murderer has pulled the body up, the fibers will be directed upwards on that part of the rope which was pulled by the murderer, because of the contact of the rope with the substructure.[/FONT]

Good to see ya'll posting :)....

The news of the potential takeover is very interesting, to me...why now? Wonder if that takeover might occur before any update is given, still allowing JS to play the bigwig role for a bit longer, possibily to allow him that opportunity to 'speak' to the deaths, yet, giving shareholders cover w/a takeover? Maybe that's why police are quiet, too...one more reason...so shareholders don't lose before the takeover is announced first...? Lol...cynical? YES. ;) But with everything so quiet, right now, it would be a better deal for Medesis shareholders, as well, I would think...

This is dated July 15th, no mention of a takeover of JS Co. at that point, in this piece...:

Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc (VRX.TO) (VRX.N) wants to become the world's biggest player in the skincare sector in about five years, its top executive told Reuters on Friday.

The company has been signaling its intent with a string of recent mid-sized acquisitions in the highly fragmented but lucrative dermatology sector.
While there is significant competition in the dermatology arena, Valeant will be facing smaller rivals, rather than the pharmaceutical giants, which have been beating a hasty retreat from the sector as they look to narrow their focus.

"It's like we're in the lightweight division and we're fighting other lightweights. We're not fighting heavyweights," Pearson said. "It fits us from a scale standpoint."Pearson's philosophy has been to stay clear of the so-called Big Pharma companies, but engage in partnerships with them instead.Valeant's main rivals in the industry are Medicis Pharmaceuticals (MRX.N), Allergan Inc (AGN.N), as well as Stiefel Laboratories Inc, which is a unit of GlaxoSmithKline (GSK.L).

"They're out there buying assets for cash flow and building a broad dermatology presence. It seems like a pretty sound strategy to me," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Annabel Samimy said.

"The assets that they're buying are not necessarily the ones that require a significant amount of promotion or expense behind them," she added.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/07/15/valeant-idINL3E7IF25X20110715?type=companyNews

This case is unusual on many levels, including the fact that we have shots of the victim to scutinze. I can't recall that happening in any other case that I have followed. RN's positioning appears very unnatural to me, especially with her arms pulled sharply back, and the angle of her right hip. I'm glad you mentioned the hip, gxm. I couldn't put my finger on it until you stated it looks odd, as if injured or out of socket.

The mention of her limp was very early on. It was a very short interview with gym employees. I looked for it a few weeks ago, but could not find it!

... snipped ...

Someone had posted that Rebecca walked with a little limp at times. Does anyone remember why?

re: limp - The following is what was reported:

One [shopkeeper] also mentioned a permanent limp the woman attributed to an accident that she didn't explain.

One of his trainers [@ Hollywood Fitness], Reed Holman, recalled [RN]'s evident limp, he thought on her left side.

She had &#8220;an awkward walk,&#8221; he said, describing it as the gait of someone who could not put her full weight down on a foot because of a blister or sore.

7/16 http://coronado.patch.com/articles/trainer-recalls-spreckels-victims-noticeable-limp

The mention of her limp was very early on. It was a very short interview with gym employees. I looked for it a few weeks ago, but could not find it!

I was wondering about that 10-6. Was it a permanent limp or had she hurt her hip recently? God bless her soul, I can't imagine the horror she had to go through! :tears:

I would be interested in knowing if her family knew of this limp...

I saw the banner headline on Dr Drew saying the accident was caused by sliding down the bannister. But I do not know where they got that info. Anyone know?

If so, I could see both JS and DS being potentially very angry with RN for allowing such an accident to happen under her watch. A 6 yr old should not be horsing around like that. But if he was with his 13 yr old sis at the time then maybe RN was in her room or in the shower and thinking everything was fine.

"Inside source"? We'll know soon, enough....I think.

Tragic, if true. THIS is why we, as parents, tell our children not to 'slide down banisters"...'cause THIS can happen. As parents, we cannot be present every, single, second...even WE need to urinate...and even with the door open, it can STILL happen. ;) If this turns out true...I would term it an accident, myself...even if the 13/14 yr old was supposed to have been supervising, ie. the shower scenario, you mentioned....it's not her fault, either...kids need to listen and parents need to parent, imo. Tragic.

Thanks, time, for the info on Valeant (above ^; I couldn't quote you right). It sounds like they can buy pretty much whatever they want, eh?
Here's another article (dated Aug 9, 2011) which certainly explains Valeant's interest in buying Medicis right now:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/art...ent-after-reports-it-s-looking-to-buy-medicis

Valeant shares rise five per cent after reports it's looking to buy Medicis

By The Canadian Press | August 09, 2011
>>>snip

TORONTO - Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. (TSX:VRX) shares closed up more than three per cent Tuesday after reports the company is pursuing a takeover of Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp.

Stock in the Toronto-area company closed up $1.27, or 3.32 per cent, at $39.50, with more than one million shares traded. Earlier in the day the stock briefly traded above $41.

On Monday, a report by The Wall Street Journal suggested that Valeant approached Medicis, based in Washington, in recent weeks as the company's market value on the New York Stock Exchange took a major fall, which could open the possibility of a takeover.

Uncertainty has revolved around the leadership of the company since the unusual death of chief executive Jonah Shacknai's girlfriend in July, and the death of his six-year-old son shortly afterwards from injuries sustained when he fell down the stairs at Shacknai's mansion.

Both cases raised uncertainty about when the CEO would return to work, and also his involvement in the police investigation. So far no suspects have been named in the case, and investigators said they have not established any connection between the boy's fall and the death of Zahau.

Medicis shares were up nearly eight per cent, or $2.66, to US$36.29 on the NYSE.

(article continues)

<<<snip

That's quite a bit, especially in this (unusual) market. Maybe we should "follow the money"? (Hi everybody! Love this thread...but what a terrible mystery this is!)

IF murder, my gut feeling is that JS is not responsible in any way for RN's death. With what we know so far, it just doesn't compute for me. The man had/has far too much to lose. To be in the series of professions that he has been in requires intelligence, a cool-head, enormous self-control, reliance on logic rather than emotion, strategy building, etc. He's an educated attorney to boot. I just don't see him losing control and doing this deed. He's spent his entire adult life building his career and his highly successful business. I would also venture to guess that his business came first in his life.

If he wanted to cast her aside as a result of MS' "fall"/death, he could have easily done-so at any point and had a devastating effect on her without putting his life/career/business/surviving children at risk.

Yes, we've seen evidence of JS' bullying and aggression toward DS but apart from the German Shepard attack, I don't believe we've seen any evidence that JS physically attacked DS. [Note: I do recall the car/elbow to breast assertion by DS but frankly with a potentially moving car and moving arms I acknowledge that I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.]

Disclaimer: I don't know him - just my gut feeling based on my experience working with men like JS and what has been disclosed about JS - and, I don't condone the type of bullying/aggression that JS exhibited.

IF murder, my gut feeling is that JS is not responsible in any way for RN's death. With what we know so far, it just doesn't compute for me.The man had/has far too much to loose. To be in the series of professions that he has been in requires intelligence, a cool-head, enormous self-control, reliance on logic rather than emotion, strategy building, etc. He's an educated attorney to boot. I just don't see him loosing control and doing this deed. He's spent his entire adult life building his career and his highly successful business. I would also venture to guess that his business came first in his life.

If he wanted to cast her aside as a result of MS' "fall"/death, he could have easily done-so at any point and had a devastating effect on her without putting his life/career/surviving children at risk.

Yes, we've seen evidence of JS' bullying and aggression toward DS but apart from the German Shepard attack, I don't believe we've seen any evidence that JS physically attacked DS. [Note: I do recall the car/elbow to breast assertion by DS but frankly with a potentially moving car and moving arms I acknowledge that I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.]

Disclaimer: I don't know him - just my gut feeling based on my experience working with men like JS and what has been disclosed about JS - and, I don't condone the type of bullying/aggression that JS exhibited.

BBM

I thought about that also Quester, and that's the only reason I have my doubts about JS, however, I still think it's possible. DS however, a whole different story. I can see her completely losing it and committing this crime.

That being said, I still say this "case" will never go to court. Way to much $$$$ involved. I hope that I'm wrong, and that whoever prepetrated this horrible fate on Rebecca pays the price in full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti