MO - Lisa Irwin, 10 months, Kansas City, 4 Oct 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the GJ mean that LE thinks the baby is no longer living?

Do states usually have grand jury hearings when a child is missing?

imo

It depends on the evidence, the way the LE dept. looks at how to proceed, and the jurisdiction's rules.

But it all means the same thing, they have a suspect and want to move on what they've got.

Is this normal procedure before arresting anyone? I thought evidence was brought to a grand jury before going to trial so LE know what charges would be filed? I've never heard of it being done before anyone is arrested.
I have this same question!

Has anyone been arrested?

Here's an interesting piece on grand juries by a criminal lawyer in Missouri (sic):

...Once the grand jury is sworn in, they meet in secret and the prosecutor presents evidence to them in the cases he wants them to consider. There is no judge present. The accused has no right to attend, no right to question the evidence, or put on his side of the case. There is no record made in most cases. The prosecutor leaves the room while the jurors decide which “indictments” they will issue. Nine jurors must agree. The result is almost always whatever the prosecutor wants.

The fairness of this process is dependent on the judgment and integrity of the prosecutor. Most of the time the grand jury gives the prosecutor what he wants. If he has a reluctant witness, he just brings in a police officer to repeat what the victim told him. Hearsay is common in front of the grand jury....

http://blog.jeffcitylaw.com/?p=656

ETA: The author also says that an attorney can usually get a grand jury indictment under circumstances that wouldn't stand up in a regular preliminary hearing.

Just a silly question..How would the cops have a picture of this homeless man? Do we know the first name of the teen that has been questioned?

You're a good sleuth -- that bypassed me and I didn't even think of that. Yeah.....why do the police have a photo of the homeless guy.....maybe from a nearby store's outdoor surveillance camera?

While I believe body language & statement analysis can be useful tools, both are dependent upon the observer's subjective interpretation as well as the observer's skill in reading the signals.

Speaking from personal experience, as I've grown older (and hopefully wiser), I've learned to accurately detect the warning signs of a potential abuser, and I've counseled young women on how to recognize these same signs (both covert & overt) so they don't fall victim to abusive partners.

I've also learned to be aware of the subtle cues of danger (after finding myself in more than one life-threatening predicament over the course of my days). Gavin DeBecker has an excellent book on the subject: The Gift of Fear.

I don't discount body language analysis or statement analysis, because I believe we all use these innate tools in our daily interactions, whether consciously or subconsciously.

I think we need to use these tools wisely, though, and not use them as a stone to hurl at someone in the absence of solid, physical evidence.
I would suggest reading the book "Blink". We have been programmed by societal pressures to be politically correct so much we have moved away from relying on our innate assessment tools.

I fear this grand jury indictment is bad news. What a precious and sweet baby. Still hoping beyond all hopes for her.

Yes, they must have some prints to compare to. Or, maybe they found the shoes ditched somewhere in backyard. I wonder whos shoes they are. Look big!

Do you think LE would be carrying the shoes out in the open if they were trying to determine if they were evidence? I hope they would have them bagged to preserve them.

If a grand jury has been called, that is very telling that LE has lots of information that they feel qualifies for that.

Oh wow!! They must have a helluva lot more info than anybody imagined. The look in Youngs eye Staurday night was saying something....Dang I pray this isnt another mother did it!!

JMO

They did that whole GJ routine in Kyron's case more than a year ago...so far, it has come to nothing. Each state has their own laws.

I was just going to post that clu. I remember that also and they have about as much here as they did in Oregon (I think) so I am afraid it will lead to not. :sigh:

Let me clarify "fishing" - they can't get access to the news footage without subpoena power which the grand jury gives them.

If it was a homeless man, why go to the GJ? If you have enough, arrest him, bring him in and question him.

But you wouldn't go to the grand jury for that. As far as we know the only people that have been questioned at length by the police are the parents.

How, do they know the baby is dead, if the child is still alive, why go to the GJ?

Sorry for all the questions, but this one has me really stumped.

On Nancy Grace's program now..........JVM hosting for NG.

So there's something in the news footage that LE is interested in. Okay, WSers, what have we seen on the news? The house? Her room? Outside of home? Anything else that would have 'evidence'? I'm baffled.

The reenactment?

I'm seeing it done this way more and more these days. This is how they did it in Kyron Horman's disappearance, but they never finished convening.

Maybe they like it when a missing person/child hasn't been located? But they want to make an arrest, of that we can be sure.

I remember a GJ hearing in the Anthony case but forgot if it was before or after Caylee was located.........

This was one of the first reports from NBC Action News that included interviews with neighbors.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ueuIH63G8"]Neighbors can't believe Lisa Irwin is missing - YouTube[/ame]

Exactly. It's going down. This is what all the LE activity at the house has been for.

God bless baby Lisa.

Today's activity made no sense to ME. Now after hearing about a grand jury, things are sort of falling into place. But
Where is baby Lisa?

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members