"Killing Field" in League City, Texas- Calder Rd Cold Cases

Jeannie, this is true. And now I'm realizing that a lot of these Does are male, too...

Seriously, this is an epidemic down here, moreso than even I realized.

I moved away from that I-45 corridor and am now finding out that people are stil disappearing from West University and inside the loop where I am now!

About 6 months ago, a white van tried to scoop me up while I was walking my dog around 11pm in River Oaks, but I got away and inside the locked safety of my apartments. I called police, but they were too slow to respond to get them. The van was parked with their lights off on a dark street and just slowly started rolling toward me when I came around the corner. It's a good thing I'm aware of my surroundings.

OH... Forgot to mention. My professor's husband was HPD back in the early 90's. She said she would ask him if he knew anything about any Houston suspects... I mentioned that one might be a member of LE and to ask about it... Hopefully when I see her next week, she will have asked. In my opinion, there may be something there (information-wise) on which to build.

If anyone reads these posts I've made with all these missing people, or recognizes any of the pictures, please speak up and mention any detail... it could help trigger someone else's memory and help solve some of these mysteries.

I know my friends mom would want to know what happened to her... I want to know what happened to my mom too

If you live in Texas you need to pay attention to the thread. The murders began in the 50's and continue to this day.................

Same killers......no Father, son, grandson..........Think about it!
Do any of you want to take a walk in the Killing Fields?

As Clint Eastwood once said, "Do you feel lucky?"

You guys are doing a great job! Just one problem, going forward, please include links in your posts. Media links are best when they're available. I know that's difficult in some older cases. The Doe Network, NAMUS, Charley Project, Project Jason are other good sources to link. I've found links for most of the posts that don't have them. We can edit them in later. Also, I've been following along and have started a spreadsheet to compile the particulars. So far, I have 45 names plus 3 Jane Doe's with info filled in for about 25 of them. I'll pass it on when it's complete, which I hope will be some time tomorrow (or today, I guess). :)

You guys are doing a great job! Just one problem, going forward, please include links in your posts. Media links are best when they're available. I know that's difficult in some older cases. The Doe Network, NAMUS and Project Jason are other good sources to link. I've found links for most of the posts that don't have them. We can edit them in later. Also, I've been following along and have started a spreadsheet to compile the particulars. So far, I have 45 names plus 3 Jane Doe's with info filled in for about 25 of them. I'll pass it on when it's complete, which I hope will be some time tomorrow (or today, I guess). :)

Sorry about that. My browser is acting up because of malware, and every time I try to search I get redirected to weird sites. I'm copy and pasting from a document on which I'd saved a lot of this info... I'll make sure to do that from this point forward. My bad.

I am really angry that to this day so little is known about these cases.
To this day girls are disappearing and it just does not seem a priority.
Ali is missing from Spring since a year and a half.
Does anyone in South Houston know she is missing?
How many girls are missing RIGHT now?
I think the media in Houston could do a waaaay better job keeping these cases in the minds of Houstonians.
It has been going on for so long.Missing girls being treated as runaways and the cases never solved.
It's still going on.When will it end? When will Houston send a message to these predators that we take notice and we care and we are diligent until these monsters are off our streets?
Our daughters are not game that you hunt down.We should be able to drive on our highways and walk in our neighborhoods feeling safe.

Sorry about that. My browser is acting up because of malware, and every time I try to search I get redirected to weird sites. I'm copy and pasting from a document on which I'd saved a lot of this info... I'll make sure to do that from this point forward. My bad.
No worries, ikoihil. If you have trouble finding links, let me know and I'll try to help. Thanks.

I am really angry that to this day so little is known about these cases.
To this day girls are disappearing and it just does not seem a priority.
Ali is missing from Spring since a year and a half.
Does anyone in South Houston know she is missing?
How many girls are missing RIGHT now?
I think the media in Houston could do a waaaay better job keeping these cases in the minds of Houstonians.
It has been going on for so long.Missing girls being treated as runaways and the cases never solved.
It's still going on.When will it end? When will Houston send a message to these predators that we take notice and we care and we are diligent until these monsters are off our streets?
Our daughters are not game that you hunt down.We should be able to drive on our highways and walk in our neighborhoods feeling safe.

You are exactly right.

Ali - Alexander Joy Lowitzer Missing since April 26, 2010 from Spring, Tx

lowitzer_alexandria6.jpg

The public needs to get involved. Talk about these missing persons, talk about these murders. Call LE with anything you know or think you know. Bring it to the thread and talk about it. Little tidbits from here and there might all come together and resolve some of these murders and missing persons.

BE AWARE! Did you see a young girl get in a car with a man and it seemed strange? Call it in! Do you remember one of these girls and remember the last place you saw her? Call it in! LE can't be everywhere but you can help to be their eyes!

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8401239

Again an example how Houston reports crime .We are talking about a serial killer here !!!!! and it's not even front page news.

I agree.............From your article.........
Steven Hobbs Serial Killer

Possible serial killer case changing way detectives investigate cold cases
Friday, October 21, 2011

Homicide investigators are now reviewing at least 20 unsolved murder cases from the past 15 years. The 2002 murder of Aritha Boyce could fit the mold. She was found strangled in the San Jacinto River near Highway 90

Aritha Boyce, Patricia Pyatt, and Wanda Trombley

He was charged Thursday in the death of Patricia Ann Pyatt, 38, who was last seen walking from her Crosby home. Her remains were found in November 2002, beneath the old Beaumont highway bridge. She had been strangled.

On Monday, the 40-year-old Hobbs was charged with capital murder in the death of Sarah Jeanette Sanford, 48, whose body was found nude and bound in a wooded area near Crosby in October 2010. He is also been charged by Pasadena police with aggravated assault and kidnapping in attacks against three females, and is a person of interest in the death of a fifth prostitute whose skeletal remains were found Sept. 22.

More information on the murders committed by Steven Alexander Hobbs

http://news-houston.info/houston-top-stories/security-guard-called-predator-charged-in-another-murder.html

TX - Missing Fort Worth Three, 1974 - #1

Went to the mall in Fort Worth, December 1974 and never came back..............a letter was received some time after from Rachel stating they were "getting away for a while" and would be back in a week. They never re-appeared. According to the letter they had gone to Houston

These three girls were Mary Rachel Trilica (17 years old), Lisa Renne Wilson (14 years old), and Tracey Ann Moseley (9 Years old).

MTrlica.jpg

Mary Rachel Trilica 17 years old
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/57dftx.html

LWilson.jpg

Lisa Renee Wilson 14 Years old
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/58dftx.html

JMoseley.jpg

Julie Ann Moseley Age 9
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/59dftx.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4937937#post4937937

I've spent the last few days getting up to speed on what has become known as the "Texas Killing fields". The four bodies found off Calder road in League City have captured the public imagination but it is really the total number of killings of young women and girls over the years in a relatively small geographic area that has shocked the nation.

The possibility that one serial killer has been operating in the area for decades has generated a lot of Web traffic but that is extremely unlikely. Almost certainly there have be at least three Serial killers at work (probably more) as well as quite a few random killing that fit the pattern of a sexual predator. There have been quite a few arrests and convictions over the years but most of the killings remain "unsolved". Some of those convicted are probably guilty of additional killings and it is very possible that at least one of those convicted was actually innocent.

Of all the killings, it is the series of killings connected to the city of Galveston in the 1970's that I find the most disturbing. In the period between July and November 1971, six girls between the ages of 12 and 15 disappeared off the streets of Galveston; a city of only 60,000. Their bodies were later found dumped in similar manners. These were normal girls, not hookers or run-always; they were "classic" missing white girls. If that had happened today, it would be a media circus.

At the time however, I can't find any evidence that it attracted much attention locally, much less nationally. Of course that was before the word "serial killer" had entered the public lexicon. It was still a time when many in Law Enforcement approached their job as a matter of figuring out who "did it", sweating a confession out of them, and then turning it over to the courts for sentencing. The Miranda decision and the advent of scientific forensics have changed law enforcement forever.

Three of the killings were "solved"; one, the case of Alison Craven, may have been unrelated to the others and the prep, named Henry Shuflin, may have been guilty. (I can find no information on the case). A second case, that of Rhonda Johnson and Sharon Shaw is more controversial. Michael Lloyd Self was convicted of killing the two 15 year olds. The only evidence introduced by the prosecution was his signed confession that he claimed was obtained by coercion. He died in prison in 2000 still claiming his innocence.

In 1998, a convict named Edward Harold Bell, doing life for the murder of an ex-marine, came forward claiming "credit" for 11 murders of young girls in the Galveston area at that time including Rhonda Johnson and Sharon Shaw. He had strong ties to the area and connections to some of the victims. The case was never officially reopened but there is strong suspicion, both within Texas LE and among media critics of "Texas Justice", that he is the real deal.

Unlike a lot of Serial Killers, Bell was not a loaner with an IQ of 85 who prowled the streets in a 15 year old beater. He was smart, a successful businessman and possessed a little charm. He also had a proclivity for exposing himself to young girls. The murder he was convicted of was related to one of these "incidents".

It’s hard to be judgmental about the quality of Galveston Law Enforcement 40 years ago when so little information is available, but as an example of some of its problems, the two detectives who were commended for their "successful" interrogation, and subsequent conviction of Michael Lloyd Self, were later convicted of a series of armed robberies.

I've spent the last few days getting up to speed on what has become known as the "Texas Killing fields". The four bodies found off Calder road in League City have captured the public imagination but it is really the total number of killings of young women and girls over the years in a relatively small geographic area that has shocked the nation.

The possibility that one serial killer has been operating in the area for decades has generated a lot of Web traffic but that is extremely unlikely. Almost certainly there have be at least three Serial killers at work (probably more) as well as quite a few random killing that fit the pattern of a sexual predator. There have been quite a few arrests and convictions over the years but most of the killings remain "unsolved". Some of those convicted are probably guilty of additional killings and it is very possible that at least one of those convicted was actually innocent.

Of all the killings, it is the series of killings connected to the city of Galveston in the 1970's that I find the most disturbing. In the period between July and November 1971, six girls between the ages of 12 and 15 disappeared off the streets of Galveston; a city of only 60,000. Their bodies were later found dumped in similar manners. These were normal girls, not hookers or run-always; they were "classic" missing white girls. If that had happened today, it would be a media circus.

At the time however, I can't find any evidence that it attracted much attention locally, much less nationally. Of course that was before the word "serial killer" had entered the public lexicon. It was still a time when many in Law Enforcement approached their job as a matter of figuring out who "did it", sweating a confession out of them, and then turning it over to the courts for sentencing. The Miranda decision and the advent of scientific forensics have changed law enforcement forever.

Three of the killings were "solved"; one, the case of Alison Craven, may have been unrelated to the others and the prep, named Henry Shuflin, may have been guilty. (I can find no information on the case). A second case, that of Rhonda Johnson and Sharon Shaw is more controversial. Michael Lloyd Self was convicted of killing the two 15 year olds. The only evidence introduced by the prosecution was his signed confession that he claimed was obtained by coercion. He died in prison in 2000 still claiming his innocence.

In 1998, a convict named Edward Harold Bell, doing life for the murder of an ex-marine, came forward claiming "credit" for 11 murders of young girls in the Galveston area at that time including Rhonda Johnson and Sharon Shaw. He had strong ties to the area and connections to some of the victims. The case was never officially reopened but there is strong suspicion, both within Texas LE and among media critics of "Texas Justice", that he is the real deal.

Unlike a lot of Serial Killers, Bell was not a loaner with an IQ of 85 who prowled the streets in a 15 year old beater. He was smart, a successful businessman and possessed a little charm. He also had a proclivity for exposing himself to young girls. The murder he was convicted of was related to one of these "incidents".

BBM
It’s hard to be judgmental about the quality of Galveston Law Enforcement 40 years ago when so little information is available, but as an example of some of its problems, the two detectives who were commended for their "successful" interrogation, and subsequent conviction of Michael Lloyd Self, were later convicted of a series of armed robberies.

Self was a League City mechanic and the cops played a game of Russian roulette with him to get not only one but two conflicting confessions out of him. He was convicted for the murder of Sharon Shaw and died in 2000 in prison. The cops who pressed those confessions out of him were later convicted for bank robbery in an unrelated case. According to his attorney, Self never learned about Bell's alledged confessions, which were kept a secret at the prosecutor's office at least till 2003, so, after Self's death.

Did Self commit those murders.............I really doubt his confession and I don't believe he was the killer. jmo

Very good post! This is a nighmare that hasn't ended. I believe we have people who can add to this and help in these investigations if they will just come forward.

It time for these families to have justice!

I really think the "media circus" it's what's missing in Houston.
It seems like not much has changed since those horrible cases in the 70's.
Even the cases that get attention nationally like Jonathon Foster last year do not seem to get much attention locally.People from one part of the city are not aware of what happened in the other part.
Mona Nelson was also suspected of having more victims than just Jonathon,never heard anything more about her.
http://www.fortbendnow.com/2010/12/30/49726

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back