LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. I want to see if the truck passes.

But if I do see her as well, all the better. We'd know she made it further down St. Landry and that LE lied about her not being on the 216 cam.

If LE lied about that, this case is in a world of hurt. A WORLD of hurt.

That regular route might be for normal hours. At 2 am, driving by a vacated Lourdes might not appeal. It would not be an unreasonable adjustment to her route.

Powered-off anything shouldn't work. There would be no signal to track. Powered-on would work. It's my understanding that's what LE has been saying since the beginning: her phone's powered off, so they cannot track it.

I do know that newer model phones can still be pinged/traced while off. Theyre actually not completely off and are still transmitting data. But once the battery is dead or removed, THEN its really off and cant be monitored. But like I said, this isnt really my field. That seems to be how it works with my own phones and how I understand the technology. But i could be stupid and way off....

so then that means its possible that the battery in Mickey's phone was not in it? If it was dumped in the water WITH the battery still in it, it would still be able to get traced?

Well, it's possible the battery is not in the phone, but I don't know if that is directly correlated with what I said. A phone that is turned or powered off is not communicating with the outside world, battery in it or no. It's not even communicating with its inside world. It's just a brick, but it can still be turned back on because the magic blue smoke is still inside.

I can't speak to your other question, but I would imagine that depending on the type of phone, depth of water, and probably weather, it would be possible to get a signal from a phone under water. But as under water is not a recommended operating environment for (most?) cell phones, I wouldn't imagine this is a great possibility.

Statistics say that that most abductions are caused by someone the victim knows.

Now what I wonder is if this person attends the same university as Mickey. And, if so, I wonder if LE has canvassed the university to see who might own a white truck that they are looking for.

Another thing I wonder is if Mickey had talked to anyone at Atmosphere that night. I'd be curious to know what her friends may have said about that night. And I do wonder if there was any patrons in Atmosphere that night who may have owned a white truck that they are looking for.

I tend to think she got in a vehicle with an aquaintance or someone she trusted because it had to happen quick ... there wasn't a trace of anything left behind.

Now we're back to her being spooked again. If she's already been passed by a truck, and it's coming up behind her, the pic of her may be her just before she goes to make a left on Brashear.

A.C.I.'s theory.

Or.... for some reason that night she chose to avoid a section of St. Landry.

A.C.I., I don't know if you saw, but I talked to a guard at Lourdes earlier who saw Mickey often, and the guard volunteered without being asked that Mickey's route was St. Landry, left on St. Julien, right on Johnston, and right on Cajundome.

Well what the hello, and how would he know?

Rumors indicate police thought she might be heading toward Johnston St. Some are saying that was her normal route home. Johnston, then a right at the coloseum.

She is riding down the middle of the lane. She could be working her way to turn left on Brashear.

Maybe ... it seems a little soon.... and maybe she stays in the middle because the roads are so bad.

The police have the video... they know.

I still have a problem with Brashear because #1 if something happened, people would definitely hear due to the old thin windows in those houses, and also she could escape through the vehicle barriers a ways down Brashear.

i am having a hard time believing she's not on the 216 footage. and that's not good.

That regular route might be for normal hours. At 2 am, driving by a vacated Lourdes might not appeal. It would not be an unreasonable adjustment to her route.

Yeah cause its creepy as **** at night. Id avoid it.
I thought about that road and had a look around. I'll have to dig around some more there.

Not LE, but...

http://www.katc.com/news/volunteers...or-clues-into-mickey-shunick-s-disappearance/

When I asked the question, my thoughts were centered around the idea that killers usually hide their victims' bodies in areas with which they are familiar (DTL notwithstanding). Further to that end, my thoughts were that if it was an LE-led search, then perhaps they had a hot lead on a suspect, and were searching Lake Martin for a specific reason based on the known residence of said suspect.

I'd have to wonder (just wonder), too, if a phone ping (before it was turned off or whatever) might have contributed to choosing to search that location.

Does anyone know if Mickey has a Twitter account? Or Tumblr, instagram, etc?

I know she has a FB account, but her Wall is private so it can't be linked here.

Social media has been a huge part of Sierra LaMar's case so far and I just wondered if Mickey might have some other accounts.

Going through one of their friends profiles to get to see what's being talked about back and forth, if their profile is open.

Oh, okay, thanks. I've done that on the Johnny Clarke and Lisa Straub case, following the Toledo hoodrats. It gets really confusing. I often forget who it is I was sleuthing, lol.

The neighbor on Brashear is very nice. I rode through there at Christmas. Older houses. Some in need of some love. But a nice neighborhood.

so then that means its possible that the battery in Mickey's phone was not in it? If it was dumped in the water WITH the battery still in it, it would still be able to get traced?

Not for long. Phones and water don't mix. Go poof real quick

I still have a problem with Brashear because #1 if something happened, people would definitely hear due to the old thin windows in those houses, and also she could escape through the vehicle barriers a ways down Brashear.

i am having a hard time believing she's not on the 216 footage. and that's not good.

I agree. Things arent adding up around there. I agree someone wouldve heard something down Brashear. Unless she was instantly knocked out/bumped or if she made it to Johnston. I followed the route and popped out on Johnston and there were still no cameras around for quite a while. So thats not an impossible scenario either.

I do know that newer model phones can still be pinged/traced while off. Theyre actually not completely off and are still transmitting data. But once the battery is dead or removed, THEN its really off and cant be monitored. But like I said, this isnt really my field. That seems to be how it works with my own phones and how I understand the technology. But i could be stupid and way off....

I don't keep up with the bajillion cell phone models out there, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were models that aren't actually completely off when a user thinks he or she is turning them off. Such a phone could still be tracked though the user thinks it is off.

But in any case, a cell phone without any power (i.e. most cell phones which have been turned off) cannot be tracked. Tracking is usually accomplished via towers and the towers have to be able to communicate with the device in order to track. No power means no communication means no tracking.

However in this case, Mickey has an older model phone which I have no reason to believe is still "on" once the user has turned it off. Thus the police have not been able to track it.

I agree. Things arent adding up around there. I agree someone wouldve heard something down Brashear. Unless she was instantly knocked out/bumped or if she made it to Johnston. I followed the route and popped out on Johnston and there were still no cameras around for quite a while. So thats not an impossible scenario either.

Could have been somebody she knew. If someone she knew pulled up next to her and invited her to get in, that might not make a lot of noise. Would take some balls though, to do it in a neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member