CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you are saying Fairy. Her husband is missing and she wants him back. She did not ask to be a trustee or a conservator. She is the only thing standing between those women and a free for all with Bob's assets. Because they have to account for their spending. Without her protest, they would have to account to Bob only. We know that wont happen.

I know you're right. The family most likely assumed that Fontelle would just go on back home when it became apparent Bob wasn't coming back. That she didn't is to her credit.

The blatant greed of this "family" is just so gross, KWIM? I would feel the same way about it if Bob had simply passed away of natural causes. But knowing that someone in the midst of the money grab is responsible for Bob being gone just makes it so much more disgusting.

Ah well. Preaching to the choir!

I would really like to know the contents of this confidential document that Fontelle's legal team did not know about.

I wonder if it it pertains to the original trust as I try to think back on what has been said with respect to that.

Nothing, really. I'm suspicious of everyone fighting over Bob's money and assets. If they had been married for a longer period of time, I wouldn't question it at all. But under the circumstances, it strikes me as very aggressive.

I've tried to imagine myself in Fontelle's position since Bob went missing. Living in California places her quite a distance from her own family and in the middle of the hornet's nest that is Bob's family. I just don't feel I'd be up for all of the drama at her age.

BBM

This is the one thing that keeps nagging at me for some reason and like you I am not sure whether it is from personal experience or not.

I would really like to know the contents of this confidential document that Fontelle's legal team did not know about.

I wonder if it it pertains to the original trust as I try to think back on what has been said with respect to that.

It's the settlement agreement between the co-conservators and the grandson pertaining to his arrears on the home he lost due to non payment.

Mr Harrod was over 80. Mrs Harrod is legally blind and in her mid 70's. I dont know how much time they should wait, to be honest. Jmvho. Good that they found love to carry them-take a look at the footage of Bob before he disappeared. Look how happy he was before you solidify your thoughts. :)

Nothing, really. I'm suspicious of everyone fighting over Bob's money and assets. If they had been married for a longer period of time, I wouldn't question it at all. But under the circumstances, it strikes me as very aggressive.

I've tried to imagine myself in Fontelle's position since Bob went missing. Living in California places her quite a distance from her own family and in the middle of the hornet's nest that is Bob's family. I just don't feel I'd be up for all of the drama at her age.

Fontelle didn't ask to be placed into the position she's been placed in. She has a right to do everything that she has. It is not her fault she had Bob for a short period of time. And she has a right to find out what happened to her husband. If I was in her shoes I'd be a royal pain in the behind, every chance I got, to those I suspect of not only making my husband disappear, but looting his estate as well.

People vary in their readiness to fight. There are so many older people who are up for a fight that the old man or old lady waving a cane aggressively has become cliche.

I think the relatively short duration of their relationship actually made Fontelle more likely to fight. They were clearly still in the honeymoon phase of relationship where each of them was perfect in the other's eyes.

Considering Fontelle's suspicions about how they were parted in the first place, she may also be thinking something along the lines of "I didn't fight for him the first time, I won't make that mistake again."

And she may be much like many WS'ers; most of us have no connection to the cases we follow and try to help solve, we're motivated by the desire to see something wrong set right.

Considering the short amount of time Bob knew Georgia before they married, the argument about the short amount of time Bob knew Fontelle is a poor argument at best.

Ok, so the man had a successful marriage of over 50 years the first time after marrying someone he knew a short time. 50 plus years later, he knew himself and what it takes to make a marriage work much more so than he did the first time he married.

Who's to say the marriage between Bob and his second wife would not have worked?

Again, it does nothing more than reflect Bob's daughters attempts to get Mrs. Harrod to stop seeking answers into her husbands disappearance.

Compile the list of all who have been attacked by Bob's daughters for seeking answers. The picture is pretty clear. Not only is it pretty clear, it's pretty predictable who'll be next on that list, the housekeeper for participating in the disappeared show regarding Bob's case sometime in the future.

Look at the entire picture, not just the :censored: Bob's daughters are trying to feed the public.

Considering the short amount of time Bob knew Georgia before they married, the argument about the short amount of time Bob knew Fontelle is a poor argument at best.

Ok, so the man had a successful marriage of over 50 years the first time after marrying someone he knew a short time. 50 plus years later, he knew himself and what it takes to make a marriage work much more so than he did the first time he married.

Who's to say the marriage between Bob and his second wife would not have worked?

Again, it does nothing more than reflect Bob's daughters attempts to get Mrs. Harrod to stop seeking answers into her husbands disappearance.

Compile the list of all who have been attacked by Bob's daughters for seeking answers. The picture is pretty clear. Not only is it pretty clear, it's pretty predictable who'll be next on that list, the housekeeper for participating in the disappeared show regarding Bob's case sometime in the future.

Look at the entire picture, not just the :censored: Bob's daughters are trying to feed the public.

There's no doubt in my mind that Bob was very happy to have Fontelle back in his life. And to be clear, I am not on the side of the daughters. I'm on Bob's side.

For me, Bob is the victim. ALL the others are still living and breathing and fighting over his money and his stuff. All of them seem to feel "entitled" to what Bob and Georgia were fortunate enough to accumulate over their many years together. I find that disturbing. And I would find it disturbing under any circumstances. But the fact that Bob is missing and undoubtedly deceased, just makes it that much more disgusting to me.

That said, if Fontelle's continued determination to get answers results in justice for Bob, I'm all for it.

Mr Harrod was over 80. Mrs Harrod is legally blind and in her mid 70's. I dont know how much time they should wait, to be honest. Jmvho. Good that they found love to carry them-take a look at the footage of Bob before he disappeared. Look how happy he was before you solidify your thoughts. :)

Don't get me wrong here. I was the one pushing my own father out the door and his lady friend was a sweetheart.

The problems arose from her children and others concerned for her welfare but it was my fathers money and he was not missing and was quite alive and not married to her lol

ETA Boy this did not come out well. I wanted my father to enjoy his remaining years and there was a lovely woman with whom I encouraged him to spend time with. My father was once again happy and money cannot buy that sort of happiness.

Unfortunately there were some children/relatives that wanted to take advantage of a situation and my father "helped" them to the point it became "expected". This is no way reflects on my father's lady friend as she was mortified. It did though come down to legal filings etc.

That said, if Fontelle's continued determination to get answers results in justice for Bob, I'm all for it.

Yes, I think this is exactly the point.

There's no need to beat around the bush here -- Bob's 'disappearance' has everything to do with his money. LE has ruled out the idea of a stranger abduction, and they've ruled out the possibility that his barber was involved.

Bob was last seen one day after he informed his daughters and son-in-law that he intended to include Fontelle in his accounts, and his intention was documented in notes he left, among other things. Bob was not given time to formalize any arrangements because he was made to disappear. That said, it's unfathomable that Fontelle would have been involved, if motivated by money -- and there is no other motivation that is plausible. It was about the money, and the people who had the most to lose by Bob living long enough to act on his intentions would have been at the 'heated family meeting' the night before he disappeared. Fontelle had the most to lose with Bob disappearing when he did.

Even a casual reading of the documents that have been released will paint a pretty compelling picture about how his kin view/viewed his money. There is, in my opinion, a rather unsavory and unnatural sense of entitlement that bleeds out of the actions of the "conservators" in particular and his kin in general.

In the course of these proceedings to protect his estate, much is revealed about the mindset and motivations of his daughters. Seeing as how money is the motive, I think that this needs to come to light. It helps the truth out.

There's no need to beat around the bush here -- Bob's 'disappearance' has everything to do with his money. LE has ruled out the idea of a stranger abduction, and they've ruled out the possibility that his barber was involved.

Bob was last seen one day after he informed his daughters and son-in-law that he intended to include Fontelle in his accounts, and his intention was documented in notes he left, among other things. Bob was not given time to formalize any arrangements because he was made to disappear. That said, it's unfathomable that Fontelle would have been involved, if motivated by money -- and there is no other motivation that is plausible. It was about the money, and the people who had the most to lose by Bob living long enough to act on his intentions would have been at the 'heated family meeting' the night before he disappeared. Fontelle had the most to lose with Bob disappearing when he did.

Even a casual reading of the documents that have been released will paint a pretty compelling picture about how his kin view/viewed his money. There is, in my opinion, a rather unsavory and unnatural sense of entitlement that bleeds out of the actions of the "conservators" in particular and his kin in general.

In the course of these proceedings to protect his estate, much is revealed about the mindset and motivations of his daughters. Seeing as how money is the motive, I think that this needs to come to light. It helps the truth out.

Excellent post. Very well said, Montjoy.
:goodpost:

Bob is the victim. Absolutely. Mrs Harrod is the worst kind of collateral damage because she was robbed. Bob didnt run off. He didnt have cold feet. He isnt in Jamaica somewhere with a fruity cocktail.

At least two of his direct family members set in motion a chain of events that they claim was appropriate had his death taken place...right? Forgive a MASSIVE debt, supposedly forgive. Upon Bob's death.

They just cant unring that bell.

BBM

Finally got the opportunity to review these documents and you are very correct in much of what you have stated.

There are laws that govern what "conservators" powers are and the expectations which vary depending on location.

From what I have seen here there is not a chance a judge would of approved many of these transactions if they are, as I suspect, questionable to say the least.

I suspect that there is still much more to come and a judge is not going to be pleased with what he sees here.

There is also the possibility that some of what has been filed may in fact result in a criminal investigation if that is not already what some of these filings are in fact related to.

I simply shake my head once again....

Thank you. I recognize now one of the things that's been bothering me....

We know that Bob requested a "break" from his daughters in the months leading up to his marriage to Fontelle. We have been led to believe that he told his daughters that he intended to include Fontelle in his estate, but he never did do it, legally.

Why would he have disclosed his intentions to people he knew would NOT be happy about it?

I should hope Bob never believed his own family would murder him, but there were obviously issues between them. So why would he have TOLD them of his intention to include Fontelle when he had to have known how that news would be received?

BBM

Finally got the opportunity to review these documents and you are very correct in much of what you have stated.

There are laws that govern what "conservators" powers are and the expectations which vary depending on location.

From what I have seen here there is not a chance a judge would of approved many of these transactions if they are, as I suspect, questionable to say the least.

I suspect that there is still much more to come and a judge is not going to be pleased with what he sees here.

There is also the possibility that some of what has been filed may in fact result in a criminal investigation if that is not already what some of these filings are in fact related to.

I simply shake my head once again....

Upthread Gitana provided links to reports that indicate that the courts that are supposed to supervise conservatorships are basically rubberstamp mechanisms for financial vultures. It was a big story in the media, including The Los Angeles Times.

In my state, the courts are really strict with conservators. Conservators have to walk a straight and narrow path; if they don't, there are huge penalties involved.

It makes me wonder if someone follows the news and decided to roll the dice.

Thank you. I recognize now one of the things that's been bothering me....

We know that Bob requested a "break" from his daughters in the months leading up to his marriage to Fontelle. We have been led to believe that he told his daughters that he intended to include Fontelle in his estate, but he never did do it, legally.

Why would he have disclosed his intentions to people he knew would NOT be happy about it?

I should hope Bob never believed his own family would murder him, but there were obviously issues between them. So why would he have TOLD them of his intention to include Fontelle when he had to have known how that news would be received?

I can only guess and speculate as to Bob's intentions.

According to different accounts, the meeting was called by his daughters to force Bob to produce a copy of their mother's will, which they claimed was somehow overdue.

This is a ridiculous allegation because anyone who wants it can walk into the county courthouse, plunk down a minimal fee and get a copy of that will. It's not a top secret document, it's just a will!

According to various accounts, the meeting grew heated, Bob grew heated or there was an argument over finances. There may be other versions out there but those are the top three that I recall.

So here's my speculation: someone called a meeting with Bob because they felt threatened by Bob's new relationship with Fontelle (who was in Missouri at the time and can prove it). I think the intention was to confront Bob as to his intentions in regard to Fontelle. Bob's heirs may have been under the misapprehension that Bob's assets were in some way no longer available to him to distribute as he saw fit.

I don't think Bob intended to make a big announcement to his heirs, I think he was pushed into it by their insistence on wanting to know if he was going to spend any of his money on his new wife.

I hope Bob was not afraid of his heirs, that it was more a matter of Bob losing patience with being treated like their personal ATM.

I can only guess and speculate as to Bob's intentions.

According to different accounts, the meeting was called by his daughters to force Bob to produce a copy of their mother's will, which they claimed was somehow overdue.

This is a ridiculous allegation because anyone who wants it can walk into the county courthouse, plunk down a minimal fee and get a copy of that will. It's not a top secret document, it's just a will!

According to various accounts, the meeting grew heated, Bob grew heated or there was an argument over finances. There may be other versions out there but those are the top three that I recall.

So here's my speculation: someone called a meeting with Bob because they felt threatened by Bob's new relationship with Fontelle (who was in Missouri at the time and can prove it). I think the intention was to confront Bob as to his intentions in regard to Fontelle. Bob's heirs may have been under the misapprehension that Bob's assets were in some way no longer available to him to distribute as he saw fit.

I don't think Bob intended to make a big announcement to his heirs, I think he was pushed into it by their insistence on wanting to know if he was going to spend any of his money on his new wife.

I hope Bob was not afraid of his heirs, that it was more a matter of Bob losing patience with being treated like their personal ATM.

Good post. That's how I see it.

Just for reference.

Grandson AH’s Deposition – August 2011
Starting on page 60:
[snipped]
Q: You know, Bob, as we know, hasn’t been seen since July of ’09. You testified you saw him about a week prior. We’ve taken other depositions on this case. My understanding there was a meeting on or about July 27th of ’09 at Bob’s house where he had Roberta and Paula there to discuss his estate plan. Were you present there at that meeting?

AH: No.

Q. Were you ever told what occurred at that meeting?

AH: Yes.

Q. Who told you?

AH: My aunts and my parents.

Q. What did they tell you about that meeting?

[Objection]

AH: The gist of those conversations – okay. The gist of the conversations as relayed to me was that there were open questions surrounding my grandmother’s portion of the estate and that he wanted to resolve those.

Q. Was there any representations made by you – made to you from any participant to that meeting that there had been, in fact, a resolution of those issues?

AH: In those words, no, but they – there seemed – people seemed to be satisfied as a result of the conversation.
Daughter PB’s Post on IS Forum – August 2009
There was a family meeting on Sunday, it was heated at times, there were NO threats and we all left on good terms.
Daughter RB’s Interview in OC Register – October 2009
Bob Harrod and his three daughters had an argument over finances the Sunday before he vanished.

His daughter, Roberta, acknowledged the exchange, saying her father lost his temper. She said he had failed to provide copies of their mother's will, which he was obligated to do because of the financial mechanisms set up by the estate.

"It wasn't a heated meeting," she said in a phone interview. "Dad got heated. He's very selfish, very conditional. The day before he went missing in the afternoon, he was going to provide us copies of the will, and we went over to get the copies. He didn't have them."
http://www.ocregister.com/news/-214111--.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members