LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
for those of you who follow lots of these cases or read the books and profiles etc. how often do they not fess up where their victim's body is? what are the chances ANYONE can get this out of him?

Solely based on the fact that he was conflicted in his oral rape previously, I believe that he will give up the location of the body.

I won't blame it on anything except that he's effed up. No one is to blame except the person who did this. Not his mom not his dad. Just him.

I don't think it is a matter of blame. Just indicators of predispositions. Knowing these things can better inform profilrts and criminal psychologists. You also have yo study these things in hopes that we can rehabilitate some or get them help early on before tragedy strikes.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Ok so it looks like FACEBOOK prohibits RSO's. It also prohibits kids under a certain age but that doesn't stop them from creating accounts. Here is the link about the new law requiring RSO's to list their crimes on FB:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/social...ex-offenders-to-list-convictions-on-facebook/

This article shows how it varies by state:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57444178/sex-offenders-fight-for-facebook-rights/

And this one shows which social media sites they are allowed to use: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...working-sites-can-sex-offenders-actually-use/

BSL has a LinkedIn. Was his RSO status listed on there? I didn't see it...surely that is not what KLFY was referring to in saying he was charged with not registering as a sex offender? eta: NM, I guess that charge is b/c he whited out the RSO status on his license.

See, this is why people shouldn't be able to have facebook accounts with fake/altered names. It makes enforcement of these laws that much more difficult (thanks for posting btw, very interesting). If you're concerned about privacy, change your account settings, or don't put anything up you wouldn't want your grandmother to see. but do it under your own name, lest you want RSOs to follow your example and alter their Facebook handles.

not to mention, when someone changes their name from "Anne Smith" to "Sparkles McGee" (name changed but you get the point), its just outright annoying. :banghead:

He drove his truck to Texas, set it on fire in San Jacinto county, and reported it stolen in Montgomery County(Spring is in Mont county). He filed a claim with an agent in Spring and got the voucher for the rental car. I'm guessing that he stayed in Tx, but we don't know his alibi for being there in the first place.

Thanks. That last part is really what I was wondering. I understand he set fire to his truck in San Jacinto County and had previously reported his truck stolen in Montgomery County. In order to call Montgomery County to report it stolen he had to have informed them of what he was doing in Montgomery County in the first place or at least where it had been stolen from. So no known connections to Texas that anyone has found then. I know I haven't been able to.

I want to say one last thing before I start wrapping up my discussions in this forum. A very close family member of mine was a serial killer. I have very rarely discussed it with anyone in my personal life and never in public. Even my closest friends have no idea. It is what led me to an interest in helping to 'investigate' abduction/murder cases and to seek closure for the families. And what has led me into my career which is within the Federal side of law enforcement...primarily the protection of high level celebrities but other things also.

I, more than just about anyone, know how a predator thinks. I was lucky enough to be that one person they had to tell, to hear the 'confessions', details, the pretty stuff because I was a child and thought not to tell. And I didn't, still haven't, probably never will. I was never abused or threatened. It was a different kind of life but not necessarily a bad one.

I have spent a lot of sleepless nights going through the details in my head and thinking about the victims and their families and if they ever had closure.

I remember how detailed it would be, where the weapon was buried, where the body was placed, why it was their fault this happened to them. All matter of factly. Then there were the police investigations and the searches. The neighborhood gossip.

And family members. It ripped their hearts out that someone they brought into is world could be capable of such horrible things. There were days of denial, days of crying and days of praying. I don't think you stop loving the person but you can hate the things they did more.

Unless you have been in the mind of a predator, you can guess and speculate all you want but you will never know why they do the things they do. And trust me, the truth IS actually stranger than fiction. Nothing is impossible. Nothing.

It's the hunt, the thrill of the chase, the impulse that cannot be controlled, the high of the moment. During this time anything is possible. Thinking isn't clear or logical. It all happens very quickly. Then it's like letting the air out of the balloon. Then it is backtracking and trying to peice together what just happened and did you make any mistakes. Then it's covering your tracks, being invisible. This is the phase when they can live in the moment a little, maybe fantasize about it. There is not regret or remorse. But maybe a little excitement again and they just have to tell someone. This is not my opinion, it is fact.

You cannot close your mind to something because it doesn't make sense to you. Much of reality does not make sense.

And you can't turn the 'maybe's, 'what ifs', 'we think's, into a fact. A fact is a clear cut statement determined by the process of evaluation, direct testimony or observation, in which there is no question into it's validity. It is not open to interpretation.

Case closed? I don't think so.

One of the more shocking items revealed was that security cameras from nearby businesses did indeed catch Shunick on her bike the night she went missing. Previously, Lafayette Police reported that they had seen suspicious vehicles but not Shunick. The video showed Shunick being picked up by a white Chevy Z-71 truck which has now been linked to Lavergne. The truck has been found in San Jacinto County, Texas, and was burned out.

http://cajunradio.net/details-on-br...sappearance-coming-in-press-conference-today/

I disagree with adding anything pertaining to BSL's girlfriend and her family to the timeline.
First of all, what I read stated the family was upset with her & found out about BSL around the 25th of May, not the 19th as someone else has posted. Since none of us were involved in those discussions, we don't know. It is just rumor.

Secondly, I am sure this poor young lady and her family are having difficulty coping with this whole situation as well. I can't imagine waking up one day to realize I had almost married a man now accused of kidnapping and murdering another young woman.

Why drag her and her family into this? I don't see the necessity at all.

He posted the info at noon on the 26th, because the thread is still available online.

But I agree that they should not be dragged into this. Although nobody knows them by name anyhow. It was all done anonymously.

I want to say one last thing before I start wrapping up my discussions in this forum. A very close family member of mine was a serial killer. I have very rarely discussed it with anyone in my personal life and never in public. Even my closest friends have no idea. It is what led me to an interest in helping to 'investigate' abduction/murder cases and to seek closure for the families. And what has led me into my career which is within the Federal side of law enforcement...primarily the protection of high level celebrities but other things also.

I, more than just about anyone, know how a predator thinks. I was lucky enough to be that one person they had to tell, to hear the 'confessions', details, the pretty stuff because I was a child and thought not to tell. And I didn't, still haven't, probably never will. I was never abused or threatened. It was a different kind of life but not necessarily a bad one.

I have spent a lot of sleepless nights going through the details in my head and thinking about the victims and their families and if they ever had closure.

I remember how detailed it would be, where the weapon was buried, where the body was placed, why it was their fault this happened to them. All matter of factly. Then there were the police investigations and the searches. The neighborhood gossip.

And family members. It ripped their hearts out that someone they brought into is world could be capable of such horrible things. There were days of denial, days of crying and days of praying. I don't think you stop loving the person but you can hate the things they did more.

Unless you have been in the mind of a predator, you can guess and speculate all you want but you will never know why they do the things they do. And trust me, the truth IS actually stranger than fiction. Nothing is impossible. Nothing.

It's the hunt, the thrill of the chase, the impulse that cannot be controlled, the high of the moment. During this time anything is possible. Thinking isn't clear or logical. It all happens very quickly. Then it's like letting the air out of the balloon. Then it is backtracking and trying to peice together what just happened and did you make any mistakes. Then it's covering your tracks, being invisible. This is the phase when they can live in the moment a little, maybe fantasize about it. There is not regret or remorse. But maybe a little excitement again and they just have to tell someone. This is not my opinion, it is fact.

You cannot close your mind to something because it doesn't make sense to you. Much of reality does not make sense.

And you can't turn the 'maybe's, 'what ifs', 'we think's, into a fact. A fact is a clear cut statement determined by the process of evaluation, direct testimony or observation, in which there is no question into it's validity. It is not open to interpretation.

Case closed? I don't think so.

Thank-you, Island Hopper. I'm very sorry that you had to live with this.
You are 100% right that logic won't apply because their (serial killer) logic is nothing like our logic. It would be like explaining chemistry to my dog.

Solely based on the fact that he was conflicted in his oral rape previously, I believe that he will give up the location of the body.

Conflicted in his oral rape? How? Id say he succeeded just fine!
Remember too that he knew that victim.

I asked the why was he bullied part too. People tape for control. At some point in his life, I bet he felt totally not in control.

He was the bully. Very violent guy with a temper! others were afraid of him. Hateful, angry, creepy guy! He was never treated like an "adopted child" he was always treated as their own... As a matter of fact even better because they CHOSE to be his parents! He was just a troubled kid!

Regardless of his past; you are in control of your own destiny... NO EXCUSES!
:banghead::jail:

Nah, he wasn't conflicted. He took the case to the state Supreme Court, to try and have it over turned, because he swore it was consensual rough sex. He had tied her up and blindfolded her, snuck into her home at midnight, but tried to stick to the story that it was a consensual night of rough sex.

He ain't talking, imo.

Conflicted in his oral rape? How? Id say he succeeded just fine!
Remember too that he knew that victim.

People are taking the fact that he didn't rape her/take her virginity as a kindness he did to her or saying it showed he was conflicted about his actions. I sort of disagree. I guess it is possible, but rapists or murdering monsters can show what appears to be "kindness" when really it just serves their own ego somehow or because it makes them feel even more in control (I will ALLOW you to keep your virginity but I COULD take it if I wanted it).
I am not sure if him not vaginally raping her is a sign of him having a heart.

One of the more shocking items revealed was that security cameras from nearby businesses did indeed catch Shunick on her bike the night she went missing. Previously, Lafayette Police reported that they had seen suspicious vehicles but not Shunick. The video showed Shunick being picked up by a white Chevy Z-71 truck which has now been linked to Lavergne. The truck has been found in San Jacinto County, Texas, and was burned out.

http://cajunradio.net/details-on-br...sappearance-coming-in-press-conference-today/

?????????????????

People are taking the fact that he didn't rape her/take her virginity as a kindness he did to her or saying it showed he was conflicted about his actions. I sort of disagree. I guess it is possible, but sometimes rapist or murdering monsters show what appears to be "kindness" when really it just serves their own ego somehow or because it makes them feel even more in control (I will ALLOW you to keep your virginity but I COULD take it if I wanted it).
I am not sure if him not vaginally raping her is a sign of him having a heart. I would need to know more about him.

Then those people obviously have never been forced to perform oral sex on a person. A kindness? Are you kidding? It's rape pure and simple. She was forced to perform a sexual act on a man-RAPE. Oral, anal, vaginal, any type of forced sex is rape.
For those wanting to kinda sorta give him a pass. How would you feel if you had been forced to do this? What about your daughter? Would you be willing to give the guy a pass and think, "Well, since it wasn't real intercourse, he didn't really rape her?"
People truly amaze me sometimes and not in a good way.

It is just so incomprehensible that someone can be so innocently in the wrong place at the wrong time and be subject to such a fate. This psycho driving around contemplating his evil deeds and simultaneously encountering his victim. Was murder his intent or just sexual assault? Did things just get out of hand? Why was there no one around to see his acts? It is just too sad and maddening to imagine that this one ride could come to this. What can we do but pray for a family who's pain must be stifling. My deepest sympathies to the Shunick family, and to her friends who couldn't conceive of such an event.

Sh)#$(y journalism if you ask me, but I could be wrong. I would think every media outlet would have been all over that if that's what was actually said. I haven't listened to the PC but have only read "transcripts". May have to go listen now but I doubt LE stated that exactly.

I really have to question this station's reporting, and I wonder if this isn't a case of either A) misrepresentation of what came out of the press conference or B) wishful thinking. Maybe a little of both.

I watched the whole press conference live, listened to all the questions and answers, read the transcripts after the fact -- not once was anything said or, as best I can tell, even implied about additional video showing Mickey, much less showing her getting into the truck. If this is true, it would have had to have come out of some type of investigating or reporting on the part of the media outlet after the press conference; none of this was mentioned during the p.c.

However, I truly hope that evidence DOES exist. This feels suspicious, though, seeing as it hasn't been reported anywhere else and here we are at nearly 2 in the morning. Not to mention that if this sort of video existed, it surely wouldn't have taken 6 weeks for us to reach this point.

Pensfan:

"No. Psychopaths are now thought to be caused by a genetic predisposition to violence combined with childhood abuse.

Read this one. It is very interesting.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127888976

Differences in brain structure
http://www.med.wisc.edu/news-events/...function/32979"

I read the top link recently and really enjoyed it! I also posted a link yesterday or today regarding differences in brain structure. Neuroscience is a very interesting field and I look forward to the day when courtrooms will start acknowledging the abnormalities and science is able to help correct them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX