IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T
No, not a mumu! A sundress, but to the ground.
I hope not a mumu. I really am going to change now. :D

That's funny and please don't go change. Anything for comfort and being cool is great!! jmo

Well it sounds like LE is doing a great job and still no leads? Maybe it is a local person or someone who knows a local person - so tragic for the family.

I know I would be punishing myself constantly wondering if I had brought this element into my daughter's life whether I had a criminal past or not. I cannot even fathom their agony. I just hope the girls are found soon!

Kind of like a mu mu? I think that is what we called them. Very comfortable if I recall. I don't know if this person wearing it is overweight or not, but I do recall large ladies wearing them for comfort. I didn't know they had returned. Cool. Thanks again.

Max dresses are very popular. I saw them being sold yesterday on NBC.com and they are gorgeous. They are very popular with the younger aged woman. A Max dress can fit close to the waist and bust but notreal tight and it is very flowy all the way down to the ankles. The material is usually very thin and has a lining.

Its called a Max dress because of the length. :)

They are beautiful and look nothing like those loud mumu dresses some use to where. LOL!

Spoke with a friend of mine last night who has first hand knowledge of these types of investigations that involve searching bodies of water. I gave him as much of a rundown as I could and he felt that based on the systematic way in which they have conducted the lake search would lead him to think that LE believes there is something in the water...whether it be the girls or at the very least evidence of what happened. Just his opinion though

That is one reason I do not judge parents who find themselves in this horrible situation.

Through the years of following cases like this I have never seen one case where the majority didnt find major fault of some kind with the parent or parents. They cried too much...(fake)...they didnt cry enough (hiding something)....they didnt show enough emotion (they dont love their child)...they looked down...they looked up...they dressed weird...they said odd statements and even smiled.

Marlene Lamar just went through all those heavy criticisms when she appeared in front of the media begging everyone to be on the lookout for her missing daughter, Sierra.

The honest truth is everyone does not react the same to tragedy and it is inheriently unfair to think they have to act exactly as some think they would in the same circumstances. Misty may appear calm on the outside and is falling to pieces on the inside.

I have never lost a child or had one missing but I cant think of anything that would hurt worse for a parent. I dont even know Lyric or Elizabeth but I have cried tears of sadness for these two precious little girls and their families.

Some families are very dysfunctional and they have things in their past that arent like the idealic family but they too love their children even as imperfect as they are. A predator doesnt care what the family makeup happens to be. He does not discriminate when he kidnaps his victims. They have been kidnapped from families of wealth to the poorest of families..stolen from families who have no criminal past to those who do. The pain is no less for parents who may be far from imperfect and have struggled with drug issues.

No matter what Lyric's parents have done in the past I feel they are devastated and want the girls to be found alive.

I am so afraid LE is going to get tunnel vision in this case and hone in solely on the parents instead of trying to find the real predator who is still on the loose.

imo

My feelings exactly. I wanted to post such, but I could not do it with the tact you did. Seems it always goes full circle but ends up back with finding fault with the parents. It bothered me so much that I set out to get the facts. I went back to threads of previously solved cases of children being abducted and then finding the perp. I could not believe the things that were said in the posts about parents, or family members only to later be proven wrong, not just wrong but painfully wrong and totally out of scope. jmo

Max dresses are very popular. I saw them being sold yesterday on NBC.com and they are gorgeous. They are very popular with the younger aged woman. A Max dress can fit close to the waist and bust but notreal tight and it is very flowy all the way down to the ankles. The material is usually very thin and has a lining.

They are beautiful and look nothing like those loud mumu dresses some use to where. LOL!

like everything else maxi dresses are back in style... we used to wear them in the 70's :)

Really bad people who go out to find and hurt a person, especially children because they are weak, can be clever - in Ca a woman went missing at a rest stop, look out point, over a beautiful mountain, her car was left and she vanished - they never did find her even though they searched the look-out point, down the sheer cliffs, etc. and every cabin on the mountain - vehicles can put a lot of distance between the crime and the victims. Did they do vehicle stops in the area after the children went missing, or checked vehicle trunks, or check all the motel guests, anyone who has a record in violent crime, that could have been lurking in the area? Maybe even a friend of someone who lives in the town - someone who stopped by to visit and might have seen the girls.

Yeah, or maybe a druggie violent male relative that lives 500 yards from the area where their bikes were found.

like everything else maxi dresses are back in style... we used to wear them in the 70's :)

I love them. I like the ones in very flowing material that sort of clings but isnt real tight at the top and then flows at the bottom with a lot of material.

And the patterns are so much prettier than they use to be imo.

IMO

I am moving and have so far taken 12 bags of clothes to Goodwill, so I don't think I am going to rush out and shop for a maxi dress. Sounds great and maybe I will when I get to my new house. I did do a search online and some are very cute. jmo

Spoke with a friend of mine last night who has first hand knowledge of these types of investigations that involve searching bodies of water. I gave him as much of a rundown as I could and he felt that based on the systematic way in which they have conducted the lake search would lead him to think that LE believes there is something in the water...whether it be the girls or at the very least evidence of what happened. Just his opinion though

that was sort of my thought too...dragging, divers, sonar, then draining, kayaking, FBI diving, and FBI sonar....

Not being snarky. It's raining. I'm bored. Soooo I'm providing info. :)

Children can suffer a range of problems during their parent’s imprisonment, such as: depression, hyperactivity, aggressive behaviour, withdrawal, regression, clinging behaviour, sleep problems, eating problems, running away, truancy and poor school grades (Boswell and Wedge 2002; Centre for Social and Educational Research 2002; Johnston 1995; Kampfner 1995; Sack
et al 1976; Sharp and Marcus-Mendoza 2001; Shaw 1987; Skinner and
Swartz 1989; Stanton 1980). It is commonly cited that up to 30 per cent
of prisoners’ children suffer mental health problems
, compared to 10 per
cent of the general population (Philbrick 1996).
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...NB2brM&sig=AHIEtbQkOP3pcVhavRjvR8x2K3j9iTACxQ

The children of women in prison have a greater tendency to exhibit many of the problems that generally accompany parental absence including: low self-esteem, impaired achievement motivation, and poor peer relations. In addition, these children contend with feelings like anxiety, shame, sadness, grief, social isolation, and guilt. The children will often withdraw and regress developmentally, exhibiting behaviors of younger children, like bed wetting . . . As the children reach adolescence, they may begin to act out in anti-social ways. Searching for attention, such pre-teens and teens are at high risk for delinquency, drug addiction, and gang involvement (Women's Prison Association, 1995:9).
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...c4bEje&sig=AHIEtbSJDLmSbAuKEtb46QfBOMa60LWK9g

I agree that children can be damaged by a turbulent family situation.

However, not all children are and I was curious to find out if Lyric in particular was showing signs of emotional problems vs doing the kinds of things that fall into the normal range of child behaviour.

For instance, she made a threat to run away but my impression is that such threats fall into the range of normal childhood behaviour. Or in other words, normal kids also make occasional threats to run away.

I didn't read the article but she might of been on parole/probation for several years and only recently violated her parole.

She got out in Jan. She immediately violated her parole and it was revoked because she refused to take her drug tests and was excessively drunk. She was re-released in May. She is now under supervised released which probably means that she is one urine test away from going back to prison.

After violating her supervised release, a federal version of parole, Cook-Morrissey was sentenced to five more months in federal custody. She was released in May.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...dyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage&sf5151918=1

I love them. I like the ones in very flowing material that sort of clings but isnt real tight at the top and then flows at the bottom with a lot of material.

And the patterns are so much prettier than they use to be imo.

IMO

O/T sorry...but yes I love them too. Live in them on the weekends. Light, airy and VERY comfortable.

Yes, I agree, but LE is probably trying to cover all their bases because they have no leads so they work with what they have, which isn't much that we know of - no big leads so they go with the bird in the hand. That isn't all bad as long as they keep investigating other avenues too.

Oh I know they have to rule the family out and that is hard with no evidence but as long as they look into all possibilities maybe they can find out what happened to these young girls.

I just dont want them to do like LE did in the Jessica Lunsford case and was so honed in on Mark's family when the real RSO was right across the street from them raping and burying Jessica alive.:banghead:

IMO

Sweetpea, just a personal question here. You don't have to answer. When bad things happen to young people, especially so close to home, I think e erroneous tames it hard. How are YOU, your family, neighbors coping? This has to be hard for the kids and for the adults.

Last Fri I heard the news immediately upon walking in the door from work. Daughter says, "My cousin is missing!" (Technically it would be more like her 2nd step-cousin.) I went over to the lake, with flashlight in hand, and joined the several dozen ppl there. Came home, 4-yr old son said, "Did you find 'Lizabeth, dad?" "No, sorry." Then, he stormed off in tears, "Someone stole her!!!" Since then, he has "called" Elizabeth daily on his pretend phone (an old calculator), told her he loves her, misses her, and to come home as soon as she can. He's never met her. My kids have not played outside in a week, which is incredibly unsusual. They usually do, they love to go around the block together (I can see most of that journey from atop their playset in the back yard). We walk around the lake, we play at that park. But not this week.

I think the sex trade aspect is more likely but that is just me after reading how prevalent it is in the US. Something I don't like even knowing exists - too scary thinking what could happen to these girls.

See Noreen Gosch's book, website. It will rattle your faith in humanity, tho, so be warned.

Are you talking about Lyric's mother? I am wondering if the drug/alcohol abuse has done something to her brain. I have seen this in patients with severe alcoholism, but meth is typically not something we run into. (yet).

As stated, I've known many meth users - past and current. Her affectations do not seem all that abnormal to me. She's also Iowan. Seems most of us prefer to avoid public displays of intense emotion if at all possible, and her brain may be simply unable to do so.

Really bad people who go out to find and hurt a person, especially children because they are weak, can be clever - in Ca a woman went missing at a rest stop, look out point, over a beautiful mountain, her car was left and she vanished - they never did find her even though they searched the look-out point, down the sheer cliffs, etc. and every cabin on the mountain - vehicles can put a lot of distance between the crime and the victims. Did they do vehicle stops in the area after the children went missing, or checked vehicle trunks, or check all the motel guests, anyone who has a record in violent crime, that could have been lurking in the area? Maybe even a friend of someone who lives in the town - someone who stopped by to visit and might have seen the girls.

...If we are thinking the same, she was my neighbor. Crime is almost non-existent here. She took off on a day trip down the Coast. Strangest darn thing. Her book, blanket and beach chair were found at the cliff.

Last Fri I heard the news immediately upon walking in the door from work. Daughter says, "My cousin is missing!" (Technically it would be more like her 2nd step-cousin.) I went over to the lake, with flashlight in hand, and joined the several dozen ppl there. Came home, 4-yr old son said, "Did you find 'Lizabeth, dad?" "No, sorry." Then, he stormed off in tears, "Someone stole her!!!" Since then, he has "called" Elizabeth daily on his pretend phone (an old calculator), told her he loves her, misses her, and to come home as soon as she can. He's never met her. My kids have not played outside in a week, which is incredibly unsusual. They usually do, they love to go around the block together (I can see most of that journey from atop their playset in the back yard). We walk around the lake, we play at that park. But not this week.

See Noreen Gosch's book, website. It will rattle your faith in humanity, tho, so be warned.

As stated, I've known many meth users - past and current. Her affectations do not seem all that abnormal to me. She's also Iowan. Seems most of us prefer to avoid public displays of intense emotion if at all possible, and her brain may be simply unable to do so.

Has LE issued any kind of warning telling parents to keep their children inside and to be on the watch? tia

A parent doesn't cry enough. Something is just not right.
A parent cries too much. He/she is trying too hard.

A parent doesn't look as upset as he/she should.
A parent looks too upset. It must be fake.

A parent is too "sure" about what happened to their child. How can they feel so sure? It's suspicious.
A parent has no idea what happened to their child. This child was not supervised appropriately.

A family is airing their "dirty laundry." Why? Something is nefarious about that.
A family tried to keep their pasts secret from the public. Why? They are trying to hide something.

A child was living with another relative, not the parents. The child must have emotional issues since he/she is not living with the parents.
A child is living with his/her parents. The parents do not get along. They argue. They had a fight. Why didn't a relative take in this child so he/she would not have to deal with these emotional issues?

It seems like these type of judgements happen everytime a child goes missing for an extended time. No matter how a parent acts or what a parent does, someone finds fault and believes that it means something. Why? And why are people so convinced that they know exactly how they would act in a situation that has never happened to them? Fear, maybe? Fear that if the parents of the missing child are not uncaring parents or are not from a "bad" family (show me a perfect family and I'll show you a family who is hiding something) that this could happen to anyone. Anyone like one of us.

I agree that children can be damaged by a turbulent family situation.

However, not all children are and I was curious to find out if Lyric in particular was showing signs of emotional problems vs doing the kinds of things that fall into the normal range of child behaviour.

For instance, she made a threat to run away but my impression is that such threats fall into the range of normal childhood behaviour. Or in other words, normal kids also make occasional threats to run away.

I actually can comment on this. A friend of mine is one of the health aides at her elementary school. She's talked to WC MANY times over the years, as Lyric was known to come into the nurse's office quite often, complaining of headaches or feeling ill. IMO it would indicate a she wasn't necessarily handling the home situation unscathed.

She got out in Jan. She immediately violated her parole and it was revoked because she refused to take her drug tests and was excessively drunk. She is now under supervised released which probably means that she is one urine test away from going back to prison.

by rights she should be one dirty urine test away from prison, but I have first hand knowledge of an ex family member that dropped a few dirty UAs before being violated and sent back. Our facilities here are very full and my ex in law got more chances than she deserved. The are offered other options beside just being sent directly to prison too. FYI we have a brand new Women's facility (halfway house) that stand empty due to funding. *SMH* at the way things work here somethimes :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici