Armchair Psych Profile and Treatment

IMO... this last article about the BETA Team
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31328515/detail.html

I think Lynne Fenton should hire now her own personal Lawyer. IMO This comment below sounds like some people could be staying away from her or i could be wrong? I dont know but am confused why would they think it is "unusual" to get a call from Fenton

One source said: “It’s very unusual to get a call from Dr. Fenton. (But) there was no clear red-flag thrown at the CU assessment team. It wasn’t a warning.”

I think she needs a lawyer too, at least just to consult with at this point. If anything in this article is true.

From the article, just a few paragraphs around the one above"

Sources with knowledge of the investigation also told CALL7 Investigators that along with expressing concerns about Holmes possibly being a threat to others, Fenton was “gathering information to couple with what she knew to … make an educated decision about what to do concerning Holmes.”

One source said: “It’s very unusual to get a call from Dr. Fenton. (But) there was no clear red-flag thrown at the CU assessment team. It wasn’t a warning.”

Another source said: “The calls were two-fold – to gather information and to report her concerns about what he told her and that he could potentially harm others. She was trying to figure out what to do.”

No idea who the source is, but could the "very unusual to get a call" mean a call about an individual and getting together the Beta Team? What I mean is, they have very few if any students that appear to be a threat.

Either way, it does seem to imply that the Team did not have regular meetings, guidelines, updated training. If they did, I do not know.

Goodness, Deadcat, I'd not even thought of that. You never know.
And, we may never know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. :denied:

What do you all think this means re Fenton's call to BETA:
“The calls were two-fold – to gather information and to report her concerns "

What kind of info would she be gathering? Certainly not about the BETA process since she was instrumental in developing it, right? If she was his therapist, wouldn't she assume she knew much more about JH than a BETA team would? Was she checking with them so see if anyone else had reported him?

What do you all think this means re Fenton's call to BETA:
“The calls were two-fold – to gather information and to report her concerns "

What kind of info would she be gathering? Certainly not about the BETA process since she was instrumental in developing it, right? If she was his therapist, wouldn't she assume she knew much more about JH than a BETA team would? Was she checking with them so see if anyone else had reported him?

That comment stuck out to me too. I don't know what it means. See if he was talking to any other doc? See if anyone else noticed anything in his behavior, any students said anything to anyone? See what their legal position on what to do is? (That one would be bad since it is her team.)

The comment makes no sense. What do all of you think it means?

I did not know about 2010:
Fenton’s expertise and knowledge about potential student threats was surely influenced in part by a 2010 weapon incident that occurred on the University of Colorado’s Anschutz Medical Campus. In that situation the Colorado campus experienced its first illegal weapons possession crime according to the campus’ federal Clery crime statistics report.

That 2010 weapons possession crime on campus helped prompt Fenton and others to form the Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment team, also known as BETA,

The concern now is that a college has a duty to inform the general public or police of dangerous students even if the student has withdrawn from school and exited the campus grounds permanently. Yet that didn’t happen in Aurora, Colorado.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jam...closures-highlight-the-failure-of-beta-campus

I keep wondering if Fenton was really treating JH or whether the defense was calling it "treatment" in order to suppress the release of the notebook. If he'd had informal interactions with her or taken a class with her only. Just conjecture, as most of my "this case"-related thoughts are. (Hope they lift that gag order!!)

I've questioned this too. If you look at the links in the doc thread, her bio states she is there for 15-20 graduate students. The scheduling has her available only on Wednesdays. How does that work out? How much do you know about any given 15-20 student? Granted JH has only been there since November.

Indeed I am WOW if it was not a sad story that could be a stand up routine, obserdity at its finest
has no set policies or procedures on when people should report threats or when to convene the team when threats are brought forward, a CALL7 investigation found.

so did DA Chambers already examine the notebook? what happen to the Gag Order? LOL...

Arapahoe County District Attorney Carol Chambers disputed news reports that the notebook contained descriptions of an attack.

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/new...ing-suspect-be-formally-charged#ixzz22SXU5gpV

:what::what::what:

People's response number 3 on this court docs said :

contents were secured and not examine and held for potential in camera review
http://www.courts.state.co.us/userf...2-07-27 12CR1522 People's response to D11.pdf
Funny

In this article Febuary look at the picture of District Attorney Carol Chambers, looks like she had a folder with 6 pages in it! For filing 142 charges it looks llike with a manilla folder with a few sheets in it she appears to be pretty confident!

Usually they are rolling in binders for ONE charge!
HA!

Colorado shooting: What can college threat-assessment teams do?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...ms-colorado-shooting-20120802,0,1436527.story

Well, this article isn't helpful. I learned that threat assessment teams have chat boards, and if you read those, they have been successful at preventing this kind of thing from happening.

This article is not reassuring either. It talks about an online tool. Students also have access to it. Not sure how that helps if and when the student who threatened knows he's being talked about and watched. :waitasec:

Utah State's University's Behavioral Intervention Team, or BIT, includes Olsen, USU's Police Chief and representatives from the school's counseling center, disability resource center, and faculty. Olsen said the team meets at least once each month to review reports of students who have exhibited alarming behavior and to decide if counseling or police intervention are necessary.

The university uses an online tool to create "Student of Concern" reports, Olsen said. He said the majority of reports are made by professors and faculty members, but the system is also available for students who are worried about their friends, roommates or classmates.

Team members are alerted when a report is filed and the USU Police department monitors the reports "24/7" in case of an emergency, Olsen said. The BIT is not intended to be punitive, but instead to help students receive the help that they need.

"It's not used as a vehicle to suspend students from school," Olsen said. "Usually it deals with threats of violence or threats to cause harm to other people or themselves."

Randall agreed, saying that in most cases police action is not required and the team will work with counselors and campus services to help students.

"We're here to support students," he said. "We want students to succeed."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=21536259

Funny

In this article Febuary look at the picture of District Attorney Carol Chambers, looks like she had a folder with 6 pages in it! For filing 142 charges it looks llike with a manilla folder with a few sheets in it she appears to be pretty confident!

Usually they are rolling in binders for ONE charge!
HA!

That was just for the arraignment and filings would have already been done prior to the court appearance, imo.

This wasn't a trial.

Kind of some parallels
Ruled Loughner was incompetent to stand trial

While Loughner had friends in high school, neighbors noted that in the years following he would keep to himself and not respond to others

Loughner attended Mountain View High School, and dropped out in 2006

Was fired from his job at a Quinoas restaurant

College told Loughner that if he wanted to come back to school, he needed to resolve his code of conduct violations and obtain a mental health clearance (indicating, in the opinion of a mental health professional, that his presence did not constitute a danger to himself or others).

Loughner and his parents met with campus administrators and Loughner indicated he would withdraw from the college.
[
He purchased the semi-automatic handgun

The picture as "smirking and creepy, with hollow eyes ablaze,"

On June 26, 2011, Judge Burns ruled that prison doctors could forcibly medicate Loughner with antipsychotic drugs in order to make him fit to stand trial.[86] [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Lee_Loughner#Personal_background

It was like he was in his own world.”

Loughery’s bizarre behavior. “He was creepy

Among other items, officials discovered an envelope with the words "I planned ahead,"

One video consists of a mix between delusional rants and harrowing warnings.
I can’t trust the current government because of the ramifications: The government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/01/10/jared-lee-loughner-s-mental-state.html

In that video, a statement made by the UC Chancellor, Don Elliman, is read; and shown on screen:

"I believe, until it's been demonstrated otherwise, that our people did what they should have done."

Hmm, isn't that slightly reminiscent of what Penn State administrators were espousing, back when the sexual abuse scandal broke there? Or am I imagining that?

Elliman's little caveat, "until it's been demonstrated otherwise", is at the very least a yellow flag to me. MOO
RE: Holmes reaching out to his doc

Lets not forget "the package" that when story first broke it had been there a week. Then there was confusion when it got there. Then there was may have been the same day. Now it is it was immediately investigated and turned over to authorities within hours.

Lets be honest with a history (admin) of mistatements I think it ok to conclude that the only reason why they had to admit to the package even exisitng was it was found during the sweep of the mailroom.

Holmes was crying out for hlep - and even while sitting in jail he wanted to make sure his doctor got the notebook.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...es-Holmes-described-killings-in-package-video

Specualtion:

Sounds like a lawyer talking no ? just say
Elliman's little caveat, "until it's been demonstrated otherwise", is at the very least a yellow flag to me. MOO

I've questioned this too. If you look at the links in the doc thread, her bio states she is there for 15-20 graduate students. The scheduling has her available only on Wednesdays. How does that work out? How much do you know about any given 15-20 student? Granted JH has only been there since November.
I think the only way to do that is to see everyone bi-weekly,

Committees! (Beta)

The group then decides the level of risk and devises a strategy on how to help the individual while protecting the college community,

HA! How does one do that, when , it has been reported, this particular Committee had no plans made!

Just saw this, interesting from ohter thread:

Chief Executive Officer Chad Weinman said despite its name, the urban assault vest is not bulletproof, but is simply a vest made for carrying accessories.

Media gave us this notion he was bulletproofed to dealth! This is from place that sold it.

Takes me back to it being a cosutme related to the delusion as oppossed to him armouring up ?

You don't know he wasn't medicated. We don't know when their contact ended. There could have been phone calls from her Really, we don't know anything. I think wanting to sue without all the facts (or any) is very unrealistic and just an emotional hail mary.

It is true that we do not know a lot.
It is also true when they have nothing to hide they do not button up and request that the others button up too.

Having said this..
we still don’t know a lot.
I feel strongly about SOMETHING STINKS...
And it is more then only the shooter....

He's still her son who was treated by a doctor connected to the school. This doctor did try to get a BETA team together, but it didn't happen fast enough, and then her son still in a dangerous state received no follow up before he was "allowed", or maybe urged, to drop out of school. Consequently, her son may now spend the rest of his life in prison, or even face the DP. Tell me she can in someway sue the doctor or the school. ????????????

ITA. You are thinking like a parent. As am I. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back