CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand your point of view here. I don't see the tips that didn't pan out as "false tips". Those people called with information they believed MAY help the police in this case. Of course, not all did help. But the tips were given with the best of intentions and at the request of the LE. I would bet if you ask the LE about it they would express thanks to ALL who called in a tip, even if they didn't pan out. It only takes ONE to break the case. They got that one. That is why they asked for anyone with ANY suspicions to call in and let them figure out if it was linked to the case or not.

Dr. Know said that he or she was impressed that the police received 9000+ tips in this case, compared to 3000+ in the Isabel Celis case. But a case like Jessica's is going to lead to more tips, due to the fact that LE didn't have a clear suspect. If LE in Isabel's case had said, "We believe a predator is on the loose" and never released any info about this suspect, that would be a different story. But it seems like comparing apples and oranges.

Also, not all tips are sent in with the best intentions. You have trolls, fake joke confessions, conspiracy theorists, weirdos, pranksters, etc.

I believe that school is a like a career center.... (that is what we call them here).. not for behavior problems or kids who cannot cut it For our career center has mechanic programs, LPN program, culinary arts, etc.. :twocents:

Thank you Nurse, for clearing that up. Warren Tech is NOT for kids with behavioral problems; It is exactly what it "appears" to be: A Technical School.

I grew up in Arvada and was in the Jeffco School System my entire life. My best friend went to WT to learn Cosmetology before we graduated HS, and is still a very successful Cosmetologist and my Dad, back in the mid-70's also went to Warren Tech near Lakewood.

I know it is a minor point to actually make, but I want people to have the right information. WT does not equal kids with behavioral problems and I am not really sure of it's distinction between being an "Alternative" form of Education; it is, but for those who want to learn specific trades. So, it is a "good" alternative; But it is not an Alternative HS.

I just joined this forum after little Jessica went missing because honestly, I was scared to death and worried not just about me, but for the little ones in our community.

It is very unsettling to know there is a predator in our midst; even though I know they are always around, it's just scary, and as a recent divocee; it also makes one a little more hyper-vigilant.

TBH, I have always been interested in solving crimes and uncovering mysteries and have always been interested in uncovering the "why?" --- the Motive. I have always been curious what drives our fellow man to be so incredibly deviant. It does intrigue me, but it also scares me at the same time; much like watching a horror movie...

Unfortunately, I realized the humanity involved; or thought about it more after Columbine happened. This was one year after I had graduated High School. I will never, ever forget what I saw that day and I still have nightmares of being chased down a corridor by men in trench coats with shotguns. When CB happened, I think I was finally old enough to truly grasp the barbarism, cruelty, and utter insanity of our fellow men... I mean, if I had lived a couple miles in a different direction and didn't skip a grade, I could have been in Columbine.

I still haven't been able to go watch a movie after 7/20... I clearly have had GAD my entire life also so I have always been the hypersensitive sort, but I was terrified when little Jessica went missing.

And then they linked the suspect to the jogger incident on Memorial Day; so, it was obvious that there really was a loose cannon/murder near us. And the fact that I might "fit" his "profile" :( I grew up, for the first 10 years of my life, almost exactly 10 blocks from where Jessica's remains were found... I remember playing on my street and a mile away at the park with my friends and I could never imagine being a parent now, and being a child then and being scared to go past my front yard.

I just want to say, I don't know why some utterly horrible and horrific things have happened here in my Beautiful home state of Colorado. It almost makes me a little embarrassed because of it's infamy. It really is such a beautiful place, mostly filled with the most amazingly gracious and nice people...

Ultimately, just beginning with the latest atrocities; I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't know if anyone could have done anything to prevent these things; but everyone's hindsight is 20/20... I do believe in Evil; but I also know there is more to all of these acts of terror than that. Genetics, Abuse, young brains which frontal lobes that haven't fully formed, mental illness, just plain deviance, lack of personal and or parental insight... I don't know, it may be a combination of things.

I think I might "feel" a little safer on a forum like this, to know and maybe learn what to look for, or just to offer my opinions... Sometimes, it just helps to get it out, and know you're not alone in your feelings...

Sorry for the longest post in the history of the world, I just wanted to share a bit of perspective from a CO Native and what it feels like to live here and be here.

I think if the cross came off during the jogger attack, the pic would have come out back then. She may have gotten his DNA from fighting him off which matched the cross. MOO

kmn, I'm hoping you saw my post#347 which, hopefully, was a better explanation of my thoughts.

(In a world where we all have our problems, my current headache is a slow PC whereby it takes abt 40 minutes (or more) for me to create a reply and then return to regular thread.) Gads...

Thank you Nurse, for clearing that up. Warren Tech is NOT for kids with behavioral problems; It is exactly what it "appears" to be: A Technical School.

I grew up in Arvada and was in the Jeffco School System my entire life. My best friend went to WT to learn Cosmetology before we graduated HS, and is still a very successful Cosmetologist and my Dad, back in the mid-70's also went to Warren Tech near Lakewood.

I know it is a minor point to actually make, but I want people to have the right information. WT does not equal kids with behavioral problems and I am not really sure of it's distinction between being an "Alternative" form of Education; it is, but for those who want to learn specific trades. So, it is a "good" alternative; But it is not an Alternative HS.

I just joined this forum after little Jessica went missing because honestly, I was scared to death and worried not just about me, but for the little ones in our community.

It is very unsettling to know there is a predator in our midst; even though I know they are always around, it's just scary, and as a recent divocee; it also makes one a little more hyper-vigilant.

TBH, I have always been interested in solving crimes and uncovering mysteries and have always been interested in uncovering the "why?" --- the Motive. I have always been curious what drives our fellow man to be so incredibly deviant. It does intrigue me, but it also scares me at the same time; much like watching a horror movie...

Unfortunately, I realized the humanity involved; or thought about it more after Columbine happened. This was one year after I had graduated High School. I will never, ever forget what I saw that day and I still have nightmares of being chased down a corridor by men in trench coats with shotguns. When CB happened, I think I was finally old enough to truly grasp the barbarism, cruelty, and utter insanity of our fellow men... I mean, if I had lived a couple miles in a different direction and didn't skip a grade, I could have been in Columbine.

I still haven't been able to go watch a movie after 7/20... I clearly have had GAD my entire life also so I have always been the hypersensitive sort, but I was terrified when little Jessica went missing.

And then they linked the suspect to the jogger incident on Memorial Day; so, it was obvious that there really was a loose cannon/murder near us. And the fact that I might "fit" his "profile" :( I grew up, for the first 10 years of my life, almost exactly 10 blocks from where Jessica's remains were found... I remember playing on my street and a mile away at the park with my friends and I could never imagine being a parent now, and being a child then and being scared to go past my front yard.

I just want to say, I don't know why some utterly horrible and horrific things have happened here in my Beautiful home state of Colorado. It almost makes me a little embarrassed because of it's infamy. It really is such a beautiful place, mostly filled with the most amazingly gracious and nice people...

Ultimately, just beginning with the latest atrocities; I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't know if anyone could have done anything to prevent these things; but everyone's hindsight is 20/20... I do believe in Evil; but I also know there is more to all of these acts of terror than that. Genetics, Abuse, young brains which frontal lobes that haven't fully formed, mental illness, just plain deviance, lack of personal and or parental insight... I don't know, it may be a combination of things.

I think I might "feel" a little safer on a forum like this, to know and maybe learn what to look for, or just to offer my opinions... Sometimes, it just helps to get it out, and know you're not alone in your feelings...

Sorry for the longest post in the history of the world, I just wanted to share a bit of perspective from a CO Native and what it feels like to live here and be here.

Yes, some really bad things have happened where you live, but don't feel alone. I live in central texas and we had one of the worst if the worst mass murder at Luby's Restaurant and then the shooting on Fort Hood. This took place in Killeen Texas and the population is only around 40,000...go figure. it really hits home when you or someone you know is married to or a relative of one of the victims. So many families were directly affected.

The Luby's massacre was a mass murder that took place on October 16, 1991, in Killeen, Texas, United States when George Hennard[1] (born October 15, 1956) drove his pickup truck into a Luby's cafeteria and shot 23 people to death while wounding another 20, subsequently committing suicide by shooting himself. It was the deadliest shooting rampage in American history until the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre

The Fort Hood shooting was a shooting that took place on November 5, 2009, at Fort Hood, the most populous U.S. military installation in the world, located just outside Killeen, Texas.[1] In the course of the shooting, a single gunman killed 13 people and wounded 29 others.[1] It is the worst shooting ever to take place on an American military base.[

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Hood_shooting"]Fort Hood shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Another link, re discussion about where the cross was found. This is a link to the WPD press release, which never says where the cross was found, just that

"Police recovered a wooden cross that is approximately 1 1/2 inches tall by 1 inch wide."
BBM
This makes me believe that the cross was pulled off of AS in the ensuing struggle when he attempted to abduct the jogger. Police recovered DNA from the cross & that's how they made the link, since we now know they recovered AS's DNA from the backpack & Arvada crime scenes as well. If I were Jessica's family, I would want to know when they tested that cross for DNA, especially if there is familial DNA from AS's relative in CODIS and IF the cross was recovered from the jogger's crime scene.

http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/Saf...eway-police-release-photographs-of-cross.aspx

They have closed the tipline center and reward account:

Westminster Police have closed the tip line call center related to the Jessica Ridgeway investigation, but the phone number is still available and calls will roll into a voicemail account. Police will return phone calls based on the message. Since this is no longer staffed 24/7 please do not leave messages that are emergency or urgent in nature. If you have an emergency please call 911.

Tip line: 303-658-4336
email: PDamberalert@cityofwestminster.us

And:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - JOINT FROM WESTMINSTER POLICE & CRIME STOPPERS

Crime Stoppers Ridgeway Reward Account Closed
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WxGY7kFgS3MDreFd5vQ9sM32bPJiD4NkVA0uV1Wm5RE/edit?pli=1

I think if the cross came off during the jogger attack, the pic would have come out back then. She may have gotten his DNA from fighting him off which matched the cross. MOO

I don't think it has anything to do with the jogger.

If we look at it both ways:

-AS took cross off of jogger during struggle and left it with Jessica in the field: when LE let this evidence out, they asked us to contact them with any information we might have about it. They wouldn't have done this (IMO), if it belonged to the jogger.

-Jogger took the cross off of AS during struggle: Again, LE told us it was found with Jessica on the scene.

I really do think it was his and he left it there to confuse LE. It has meaning to him in all of this, and the three hash marks are meaningful to him. Maybe somebody he emulates (_____ III, like a king or Pharaoh?), or it is code to him from something he knows.

Will his mother be able to collect the reward? I can see arguments for either way, but the thought just popped into my head.

Or anything left on/in the backpack

Will his mother be able to collect the reward? I can see arguments for either way, but the thought just popped into my head.

The press release said that they were returning the money where possible. Even if she was offered the money it appears it has been declined.

I don't think it has anything to do with the jogger.

If we look at it both ways:

-AS took cross off of jogger during struggle and left it with Jessica in the field: when LE let this evidence out, they asked us to contact them with any information we might have about it. They wouldn't have done this (IMO), if it belonged to the jogger.

-Jogger took the cross off of AS during struggle: Again, LE told us it was found with Jessica on the scene.

I really do think it was his and he left it there to confuse LE. It has meaning to him in all of this, and the three hash marks are meaningful to him. Maybe somebody he emulates (_____ III, like a king or Pharaoh?), or it is code to him from something he knows.

Hmm...quoting myself here...I suppose the first could be viable if they wanted to find somebody who had seen AS with it since he attacked the jogger...but I still think they got DNA from the backpack and its belongings. Maybe he was stupid enough to drink from her water bottle, who knows!

They have closed the tipline center and reward account:

Westminster Police have closed the tip line call center related to the Jessica Ridgeway investigation, but the phone number is still available and calls will roll into a voicemail account. Police will return phone calls based on the message. Since this is no longer staffed 24/7 please do not leave messages that are emergency or urgent in nature. If you have an emergency please call 911.

Tip line: 303-658-4336
email: PDamberalert@cityofwestminster.us

And:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - JOINT FROM WESTMINSTER POLICE & CRIME STOPPERS

Crime Stoppers Ridgeway Reward Account Closed
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WxGY7kFgS3MDreFd5vQ9sM32bPJiD4NkVA0uV1Wm5RE/edit?pli=1

So since police are returning donated reward money, that suggests the person who called the tip in on Sunday did not help lead to the arrest - otherwise they would have gotten the reward. MOO

So since police are returning donated reward money, that suggests the person who called the tip in on Sunday did not help lead to the arrest - otherwise they would have gotten the reward. MOO

Oh what did I miss? A tip was called in on Sunday?

wow they closed the tip line! I wonder if they'll open up one regarding him? Unless they think it's all solved and done now? They must have enough evidence at this point to feel strong with the case.

As far as the rumor of Austin having issues at school, it was noted he was bullied by at least a girl who did admit to it in a MSM article. She said others did too and it was over his voice. I have looked through my tumblr and thought "hey, I'll put in his name and see what pops up". There are over a dozen blogs of neighbors, classmates and friends. Every single person said he was the nicest most normal person they knew. Nothing bad at all was said, just shock and sadness for the families. Most did bring up the bullying but not as an excuse, just as a remark in passing. I haven't read anyone stating he was anything but a nice quiet person. These are his neighbors and people close to the family. I wasn't sleuthing them, I want to make that clear. I looked on Tumblr to see if there was any blog entries and when you do that, everything pops up (that's on that website). He obviously hid whatever was going on very well it seems.

I know a lot of other blogs just remarked how mad they were that media and people were blaming goth music or films, and that now they are being targeted. I agree with them. Over all it's just so sad.

Why would the number of tips impress you? What's the difference between 9399 false tips and 3000 false tips? Jessica's case is pretty unusual, because LE indicated they were looking for a suspect.

I don't believe there would be 9399 false tips nor 3000 either. Many tips are parts of the puzzle, like I saw him driving on this street, she was at the bank when I stopped that morning at 8:15, etc..

Impressed as it appears the community came together & were very active in reporting what they might know. They said, every tip no matter how small and it appears the town took that seriously. Tucson is a town with over 500K, a county of almost one million...There was very little community involvement when Isabel disappeared. Very little as far as keeping her name out there. The parents are just now coming out once every 4 to 6 weeks...

I don't know why I'm even answering your post but...hth though.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and thought what if LE really didn't have DNA from either incident and just went to the media saying they did in order to get the perp freaked out enough to flush him out. Does anyone think that could be possible?

This was in re: to people wondering how he could be so careless to leave his DNA when he was familiar with CSI.
I strongly believe that LE has the perps DNA from atleast one of the crime scenes, if not both(ie. Backpack scene and disposal scene).. Another indicator that they do have DNA rather than just a ruse is the fact that Ari Liggett was ruled out as Jessica's killer by comparing Ari's DNA to the perps sample collected at one or both of the crime scenes..

I go back and forth with it, not because of Jessica's body and items but because how do they have DNA from the joggers? Did they scratch him? I'm confused on that. However, I think AS would like to believe with all his "research" and semester of college (it's not even the end of 1st semester), that he was brilliant and would not get caught. He thought too much of himself and it made his actions sloppy. Just my opinion.
IMO there could be several possibilities that yielded the perps DNA collected from the Ketner attempted abduction..

- if the jogger was able to hold onto the fabric, or atleast even a minute piece of the fabric that the perp attempted to cover her nose/mouth with

- if in the struggle the perp grabbed a hold of any number of articles attached to the jogger while she was fighting to get away(ie. A watch, an ipod, etc)

- or what imo could be the case is that the jogger actually pulled or ripped away something on the perp such as leather cord type necklace that you might see a small, wooden cross attached to.. Thereby LE able to collect a touch DNA sample of the perps from the cross.

In taking this possibility a little further its my observation that the now popular screen grab seen in many news articles of ARS from the video clip where he is seen wearing a small wooden cross.. Its MOO that the cross he has on in that screengrab IS NOT THE SAME as the cross found at one of Jessica's crime scenes.. I believe its possible that ARS has several of these from either making it himself, having been made by someone else and given to him, or he has received them from possibly church retreats or the like...

My point is that I believe its possible that the small wooden crosses are something known to be worn by him for several years now(as is evident by the screengrab showing a much younger ARS).. And that if he did infact own and wear more than one small, wooden cross I find it plausible that when the Ketner attempted abduction took place that ARS was wearing one of the crosses(but NOT the same cross that was collected at jess's crime scene)..

Possibly it was this cross that during the struggle with the jogger that she was able purposefully or just inadvertantly pulled or ripped the leather cord around the perps neck breaking it and causing the small, wooden cross to either fall to the ground, or the jogger was able to grab a hold of and keep the small wooden cross from the perps neck.. This would be a very likely source for which LE could swab for touch DNA and receive a viable sample from..

Therefor not only is it the item that yielded his touch DNA sample, but also becomes a key piece of evidence especially when a very similar cross is found at the crime scene of Jessica Ridgeway.. This imo would have immediately been noted as a possible indicator that Jess's abduction/murder were somehow connected to Ketner lake attempt thus prompting LE to test the DNA sample collected from Jess's crime scene to the DNA collected from the Ketner Lake perp..

All jmo and hopefully was clear enough in my attempt to put into words the thoughts that are clear in my mind..lol..sometimes i succeed and other times miserably fail at making my opinion clear enough to be understood by others..

Random thoughts:

When AS confessed to his mom, he already knew LE had his DNA. Maybe he hoped his mom would help him leave the country or something, not turn him in. I don't think there was any possibility she would have, but AS may have thought so little of the crime and so highly of himself to believe it.

Whatever he put in the crawlspace was buried or in containers or at least heavily covered - to hide from view and to reduce the smell so it wouldn't be obvious from inside the home.

I think he had previously done allot of dismembering with animals and he was escalating.

Anyone who has had the misfortune to associate closely with a sociopath knows AS's personality. Sociopaths can have different interests, habits & motivations but the way they interact with other people is amazingly similar. There is no rehab for these people.

I highly doubt there was an accomplice.
I agree, stillwaters no accomplice here in this case..

As for the remains that ARS kept and supposedly hid under the home's crawlspace.. in the last 48hours it was reported at some point that the remains in the crawlspace were actually in the condition of having no flesh or tissue, but rather only bones..

This of course not at all consistent with remains that were right at only 14-16days old and I find it plausible that "IF" that is actually accurate that the state of remains was just bones imo a very good cause, reason, or motive for having intentionally went about getting the remains to the state of only bone would lkely be for purposes such as what you mention with the burial or complete containment of the remains... That making it possible to be able to keep the remains close to him, at his home, yet not have the serious issue of tremendous odor that would become present within just mere days of their being in the crawlspace.
With that said I personally have not seen anything further about the state of remains that were found under the home's crawlspace so, at this point it is merely speculation at best on my part.. But just putting out there ways in which he would have been able to keep the remains with him without the tremendous odor that would be present within days..

Question I had is why didn't anyone see him in the process of hogtieing her and he also says he strangled her, apparently while driving I think. How could that have happened?
It does not add up
RSBM
All valid questions with a result that I too am highly suspicious of being the least bit true or accurate of his "version" of how the abduction/murder were to have happened..

Initially in first hearing the reports that said that he had immediately strangled her brought about sad feelings of relief in knowing that she did not suffer the fear, terror, or pain that we had long since thought since finding her remains were "not intact".. But after hearing more of this self serving monster's version of events I came to realize just how very very unlikely they are to have occurred the way in which he claims they did.

It is just not even plausible that the events occurred in the way in which he claims simply due to the aforementioned details that you describe above(that I respectfully snipped for space).. I do not believe in a million years that he would have stayed at the abduction site a millisecond more than was absolutely necessary.. He would want to grab and go as hastily as humanly possible in order to put as much time/distance between he/Jess and the abduction site.

I believe that we will find that the version of events given by ARS to LE will be ONLY self serving and of very little factual detail..

All jmo, tho.

Good question. I would be interested to see if any SK's truly had good childhoods (not just what they thought was a good childhood).

According to the article that was linked before: "They [scientists] believe that brain patterns and genetic makeup are not enough to make anyone a psychopath. You need a third ingredient: abuse or violence in one's childhood.

I found it interesting about the "warrior gene" and if you haveo that you may not respond to serotonin.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976
I agree with the basis of the theory re: contributing factors of the making of a psychopath killer(often times serial)..

I absolutely believe that by far and wide in looking at a wide range of psychopath serial killers that there are certain factors that imo almost have to be present, whereas other factors are not mandatory per se, but are often times found to exist in the make up and background of these type predatory criminals..and then there are factors that imo are not at all mandatory to be present but without a doubt if they are found to be present that they only further contributed to the predatory nature, as if somehow further fueling the already present psychopathology and predatory nature of the individual. IOW only exacerbating the decline of the individual leading to their actually following through with what had thus far only been fantacized about..

-Examples of NECESSARY factors/components-
- brain patterns

- genetic make up

- childhood abuse, severe forms of neglect and lack of nurture, severe shaming of the child, and/or violence either/both in witnessing violent abuses on family members or being the victim of those violent/sexual physical/emotional abuses themselves.
*******++++++++**********++++++++*********++++++

-A few examples of other contributing factors that aren't mandatory but still are often found to be present(esp. in individuals of this present day&age)-

-excessive&obsessive use of deviant paraphilias of *advertiser censored*

-excessive&obsessive habits of extremely violent, often times comboed with sexually explicit content of games, movies, interactive playgrounds

-as well as excessive immersion of continuous stimuli of extremely violent role playing games

IDK anything for sure & I'm just jumping off Astro's post here. However, I read article from MSM that said DNA was found on backpack (and/or contents?)

Also, if my notes are correct, a 10/19/12 CBS4 article reported that the DNA from the guy arrested due to having his mother's dismembered remains in his car, eliminated him as suspect in JR's case.

I have always believed that the cross was from the site of Memorial wkend attack on 22 y.o. jogger. I believe it had perp's DNA, but that they found no match in databases. I believe DNA on that cross and on JR's backpack turned out to be a match, but again, not in databases. IMHO

Also, IMO, the only reason there's an Oct. 2012 date on the photo of the cross is that no photo was made of the cross until the DNA on it was a match to the DNA on a murdered child's backpack.
I agree with you that LE/DA's repeated claims of having the perps DNA are very much true and accurate.. And that the DNA profile extracted from the collected sample has already been used to RULE OUT Ari Liggett of involvement in Jess's case and has now been used to RULE IN Austin Sigg's involvement in Jess's case..

Regarding the small, wooden cross possibly having been found at the Ketner Lake attempted abduction.. This has been brought up as a possibility... But IMO we have LE's defining statement that the small, wooden cross(the one in the photo that has been heavily circulated in the last week via the media) is not only directly related to Jessica's case specifically, but even more specific they have stated that the cross was found at Jessica Ridgeway's crime scene.. For me that rules out the possibility that this specific, asymmetrical wooden cross was a piece of evidence collected from the Ketner Lake attempted abduction..

We know it was evidence collected from Jessica Ridgeway's crime scene.. Therefor the only issue not clarified is which of the known crime scenes re: J. Ridgeway was it found at(ie. The backpack crime scene or the disposal of remains crime scene)?

This is not a fair question. Even if this poster does mounds of research and comes up with some names, you are already disqualifying the results. There is also the possibility that these "abused" 's make up the abuse stories to try to get an easier sentence or sympathy. There are no excuses. I have no sympathy for a serial killer.

Agree, stillwatersc, my fellow east coaster! I just briefly reflected on what I have read about some of our horrible killers, such as Bundy, Manson (mass murderer, not serial killer), Dahmer, Gacy, Speck, and more, and it does seem that their early lives were not examples for "Father Knows Best," "The Partridge Familly," or "The Cosby Show," but there are stories of many children of badly dysfunctional families who have gone on to be good citizens, leaders, and great examples of overcoming such unearned early hardships.

And yes, although I may at least in a (luckily) limited way see why these killers had such murderous & cruel chips on their shoulders, it does not mitigate, excuse or negate the evil that they did -- many times over & over & over. Grrrrrrr. :furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simwolves