Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me that she couldn't get him out of that basement. So I sure as **** don't think she locked him in there when she was out.

IMO, there is no way she locked him up and then went away for days at a time.

Our schools also have armed officers, even though they're in a very low crime area, attributed to this being upper income with more tax money to pay for it and very protective parents demanding it.

IANAL, but I doubt we'll see any teachers or other school employees armed, even if they are very rigorously screened and trained for it, if it would increase the school district's liability to a suit.

BBM

Prehaps it would but it would not begin to compare to the amount of lawsuits that could most likely be filed against the school if there was another mass shooting and loss of life again and there was no armed security at all in the schools..like there wasnt here in this case.

I think it is a chance that every school system should take. Time and time again we see the criminal target places where they know everyone is unarmed.

I think they need to train the teachers on how to use firearms and they must all pass a proficency test and a psychological exam. Either that or they must have an armed officer. Children feel more at ease when they know a policeman(s) or a retired military person is there to protect them. But if they know that no one on the school grounds has any way of protecting them it strikes fear and uncertainty.

In Israel all teachers are trained and armed in all schools. They also have signs displaying that they are in a armed zone. This gives forewarning to anyone who may be thinking of doing something horrific. Not one mass shooting in a school there.

IMO

IMO, there is no way she locked him up and then went away for days at a time.

Of course she didnt. He was probably a lot more intelligent than she was and certainly could get out anytime he wanted. Its been said he was getting a lot better lately even going to the grocery store on his own.

imo

I live in NJ, and I have been in many houses, and none of the basements have exterior doors. And I am counting houses that were built in 2012 in this.

I live in the town next to Sandyhook- we definitely have basement doors. we have a walk - out basement. My old home in a nearby town had basement (bilco) doors. Although I once lived in a 1744 house here which had no basement egress..I was trying to think and I really can't think of a single house of anyone I know in CT who doesn't have a basement door- exit.

BBM

Prehaps it would but it would not begin to compare to the amount of lawsuits that could most likely be filed against the school if there was another mass shooting and loss of life again and there was no armed security at all in the schools..like there wasnt here in this case.

I think it is a chance that every school system should take. Time and time again we see the criminal target places where they know everyone is unarmed.

I think they need to train the teachers on how to use firearms and they must all pass a proficency test and a psychological exam. Either that or they must have an armed officer. Children feel more at ease when they know a policeman(s) or a retired military person is there to protect them. But if they know that no one on the school grounds has any way of protecting them it strikes fear and uncertainty.

In Israel all teachers are trained and armed in all schools. They also have signs displaying that they are in a armed zone. This gives forewarning to anyone who may be thinking of doing something horrific. Not one mass shooting in a school there.

IMO

I know that all Israelis are required to go to the military but I did not know ( and question) that all teachers there are armed.
But schools could take a lot of advice from synagogues and hebrew schools through out the USA and abroad who have high tech security systems and often guards, ROTC and LE during religious services and gatherings.
We are quite used to seeing this in our communities.

I am not sure the basement is a big issue in the sense of she confined him there or made him stay there. There was an article that said Ryan had used the basement as his living quarters and when he moved out Adam moved down there.

I know many kids who took over the available basement or a room in it just to be away from the rest of the house and feel more independent. You could play your music loud, mom and dad weren't walking by and poking their nose in all day and if you were lucky with a bathroom and microwave you could just retreat into your own stuff without disturbance for a while.

It just seems to me he happily took it over when Ryan left, had nothing to do with NL not wanting him upstairs.

A very normal teen thing to do

imo

Of course it is normal. They even have shows on HGTV showing basements being made into places for young people who live in the home to hangout away from their parents for the same reasons you have stated.

Adam was no different in that respect and a lot of kids want to hangout in their brothers older room after he moves out. It like a right of passage. lol

So Adam had his computer..music and whatever down there and also still had his own bedroom on the main level of the home.

Some of the media has been so offensive in this case making it sound like he is down in the basement in the dark. Sheesh.........a lot of basements dont have windows but the media even tries to make something sinister out of that too in this case.

This is a mother who would never lock up her son. He was self sufficient...getting better and came and went like he wanted to do. He wasnt mentally handicapped whatsoever.

IMO

I live in the town next to Sandyhook- we definitely have basement doors. we have a walk - out basement. My old home in a nearby town had basement (bilco) doors. Although I once lived in a 1744 house here which had no basement egress..I was trying to think and I really can't think of a single house of anyone I know in CT who doesn't have a basement door- exit.

A lot of time it is to do with the county/state code. Some are required to have an exit/entrance.

We dont have basements in the south where I live but in the northern part of the state we do since it is more mountainous and all of them have doors leading out from the basement.

IMO

Of course she didnt. He was probably a lot more intelligent than she was and certainly could get out anytime he wanted. Its been said he was getting a lot better lately even going to the grocery store on his own.

imo

He had to get out more. He had a lot of plans to implement.
I think when she was around he stayed in the basement. When she wasn't around he was out and about in the house more. jmo

Of course it is normal. They even have shows on HGTV showing basements being made into places for young people who live in the home to hangout away from their parents for the same reasons you have stated.

Adam was no different in that respect and a lot of kids want to hangout in their brothers older room after he moves out. It like a right of passage. lol

So Adam had his computer..music and whatever down there and also still had his own bedroom on the main level of the home.

Some of the media has been so offensive in this case making it sound like he is down in the basement in the dark. Sheesh.........a lot of basements dont have windows but the media even tries to make something sinister out of that too in this case.

This is a mother who would never lock up her son. He was self sufficient...getting better and came and went like he wanted to do. He wasnt mentally handicapped whatsoever.

IMO

Respectfully-I agree with everything stated above except the very very last sentence.
I believe everything points to his cognitive and behavioral handicaps. n JMO-we will definitely find out that he had "mental even physiological handicaps" I think " Asbergers Syndrome ( or what ever they said) was a handy catch all - euphemism. Even if they were able to appear to mediate his activities in some ways. He may have been improving. Is this relative? Don't suicides often appear to improve when they have decided and making a " plan" ?I think the files will show that he had big-time issues. Obviously, Anyone who looks into their mother's face and shoots her head off -must be mentally handicapped. No?

Yes and I believe it was after then they began to arm the teachers and have armed security at schools.

They also have the safest airport in the world due to armed security constantly being present at every point.

imo

This I know. I have been there- I have family there also. They also have accessible safe - rooms in their schools. Something that would have saved lives in that school one week ago.

Since when does completion of the physical is required for admission into college?
Never heard of such a thing.

I never had to get a physical when I went to college. I am sure they would require one for joining the military but not college.

Respectfully-I agree with everything stated above except the very very last sentence.
I believe everything points to his cognitive and behavioral handicaps. n JMO-we will definitely find out that he had "mental even physiological handicaps" I think " Asbergers Syndrome ( or what ever they said) was a handy catch all - euphemism. Even if they were able to appear to mediate his activities in some ways. He may have been improving. Is this relative? Don't suicides often appear to improve when they have decided and making a " plan" ?I think the files will show that he had big-time issues. Obviously, Anyone who looks into their mother's face and shoots her head off -must be mentally handicapped. No?[/QUOTE]

BBM

Sadly, no, I do not believe that everyone that murders a loved one is mentally handicapped. In fact less that 2% of the murderers who commit crimes like this are truly mentally ill.

I think he used his Aspergers and intelligence as a tool to control his mother. He pulled the silent treatment when it behooved him to do so to get his way and to try and control his mom and make her worry. imo. I dont think this was done because of mental illness. This to me is going to be another case of a person being in a rage and revengeful about something they didnt like.

There seemed to be nothing wrong with his cognitive thinking. He was able to be self sufficient.......dancing in front of others.....going to the store...driving a car.... ace-ing college courses at 16...working on other people's computers for pay. Now of course he had quirks...like not liking someone to touch him. I have read on here that other posters are also like that....not me though......I am a very touchy feely person. lol

IMO

If he played combat video games online maybe he also created videos of these games and posted them somewhere like youtube. I notice that many people do this. If only there was a lead to a username, anything to open the door towards this kind of sleuthing.

Perhaps that video would work best on the gun control thread. Here it only serves as a point of contention. It also concerns an incident 21 years ago, long before Columbine, Virginia Tech, and New Town. Since Luby's our children have died by the dozen.

Oh Im sorry. I didnt know there was a gun control thread. I have been very busy and when I check in I just see this thread and post on it.

Maybe Nursey can move it.

But yes it is from 21 years ago and one of the well known mass murder cases in our history but the lost of life was many. I dont think it is right to dismiss someone just because you dont like what they have to say. This woman lived through it and lost her mom and dad in the mass murder.

Sadly, no, I do not believe that everyone that murders a loved one is mentally handicapped. In fact less that 2% of the murderers who commit crimes like this are truly mentally ill.

I think I would say they must be mentally "off". Not a diagnosis category but clearly those people are somehow different if they can so easily do things that make everybody else appalled, shocked, sad and disgusted, not necessarily in that order.

I think he used his Aspergers and intelligence as a tool to control his mother. He pulled the silent treatment when it behooved him to do so to get his way and to try and control his mom and make her worry. imo. I dont think this was done because of mental illness. This to me is going to be another case of a person being in a rage and revengeful about something they didnt like.

There seemed to be nothing wrong with his cognitive thinking. He was able to be self sufficient.......dancing in front of others.....going to the store...driving a car.... ace-ing college courses at 16...working on other people's computers for pay. Now of course he had quirks...like not liking someone to touch him. I have read on here that other posters are also like that....not me though......I am a very touchy feely person. lol

IMO

BBM. I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove - it's to be expected if he had Asperger. People with Asperger syndrome are by definition relatively high functioning cognitively. It's one of the diagnosis criteria actually: if there is a significant delay in mental development then you don't diagnose the person with Asperger's syndrome. So if you have someone with Asperger syndrome you wouldn't expect them to be completely helpless in every way and if they aren't it surely doesn't mean that the person just uses the symptoms to manipulate others.

DSM-IV:
(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.
http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html

That is not to say that there might not be a manipulative aspect in there somewhere but just the fact that he wasn't obviously retarded in every area of his cognitive functioning doesn't prove he faked his difficulties just to annoy mom.

Anyway, "nothing wrong" in his cognitive thinking may be a little too strongly worded. We don't know that. People with Asperger's may have uneven cognitive functioning, high in some respects and more difficulties in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80