The state Rests in The State v. Jodi Arias: break in trial until 28 January 2013 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question- what's the story with the text messages?
They didn't get them all? I think that the defense will use that
in appeal. It's really not relevant unless he confessed to hurting her
in them. Any guesses what the defense will say he said now that they are unrecoverable? ;)

While it might not ACTUALLY fit with this case,
abuse victims do do these kinds of things. Plenty of
women believe a man ( or vice versa) when he says he's changed.
Many victims even feel they deserve it. They feel
if they just do as their abuser wants then nothing
bad will happen. If it was actually true that Travis was
abusive the idea would be that Jodi thought
if she could just do the right things everything
would be ok or this would be a post abusive phase
where he was being sweet and seemed remorseful.

That's why they are bringing on the domestic violence expert because
she will tie up all those kinds of loose ends.

I can see someone who is in a relationship where the partner is living with them and there is no way of escaping them. They can't leave because of threats, or there is a lack of funds for this person to leave on their own.

JA was the one chasing after TA by her own admission. She was totally in a safe place and TA was not coming after her so not sure why defense is even bring in an expert because they could be opening up a can of worms with the PA. It appears to us all that JA was the abuser emotionally because she was fully aware of what TA's religious boundries were and she kept pushing herself on TA when she knew it was wrong. I think the PA will make that very clear to the jury if they use an expert because the very things they would testify to fit Jodi. jmo

I keep thinking about how abruptly Martinez shut down his CIC. Based on his statement that stalking accusations could lead to an appeal, I believe he knows he's presented a case relatively short on points of appeal.

If the defense opens a can of worms, he has every opportunity to grab those worms and turn them into a big old bunch of snakes in cross and rebuttal.

If the defense doesn't open the door, they probably will not be able to PROVE Jodi was abused. Once the feel they have made a good case for abuse, it is then up to Martinez to PROVE there wasn't abuse in the CIC. He couldn't present any of this testimony in his CIC because that's the defense's job.

If the judge doesn't believe that the defense didn't prove the abuse, she can rule it out and the case would go to the jury without the abuse defense to rely on.

As a veteran trial watcher, this has to be one of the most fascinating in terms of pure complexity and maneuvering on both sides.

Hey! Let's not insult animals now please. My dog has more compassion than Jodi ever will!

Honestly I agree!

I know I see regret and shame written all over my dogs face when he does something naughty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious question- what's the story with the text messages?
They didn't get them all? I think that the defense will use that
in appeal. It's really not relevant unless he confessed to hurting her
in them. Any guesses what the defense will say he said now that they are unrecoverable? ;)

iirc they got them all two years ago (after the technology was available) and they shared them with the defense. At the time of the murder investigation they would have had to take a photo of thousands of texts in order to share them with the defense and that was not possible.

I believe the state did not use them in their CIC in order to avoid problems (re: the motion for mistrial based on this is still up in the air)

:moo:

ok so the new news is JA stashed the gun in the rental car and they found it later, also she had two knives stashed in some books she had boxed up and was putting in her car. Why in the world did the detective say (when he was on the stand) they never found the knive(s) or gun? I am lost.

This is a different rental car she was packing the night before they arrested her.

And then the State can counter with.........how many abused victims secretly steal their abusers passwords and pin numbers in order to spy on them? If a person is really being abused will they knowingly do something that, if caught, will really tick off their abuser? How many abused victims resort to overkill, going so far as to use two different weapons to kill their abuser? How many abused victims never call 911 after killing their abuser to report the abuse and what they have done in self defense?

The Defense needs to walk a very fine line when it comes to questioning this domestic violence expert. Jodi does not fit the pattern of an abused person and putting such an expert on the stand opens the door for the State to question the expert as to if Jodi would really be classified as an abused victim.

MOO

i think they need to be careful because jurors could start thinking the profile of the abuser could fit HER---not travis. she was spying on him, following him, hacking into his accounts, driving miles and miles to see him, manipulating him with sex.

so who's the abuser here?

ETA: i keep thinking about his message to her that he was nothing more than a 'dildo with a heartbeat' to her. that sounds like someone who feels hurt and used. so who was using whom here?

iirc they got them all two years ago (after the technology was available) and they shared them with the defense. At the time of the murder investigation they would have had to take a photo of thousands of texts in order to share them with the defense and that was not possible.

I believe the state did not use them in their CIC in order to avoid problems (re: the motion for mistrial based on this is still up in the air)

:moo:

hmmm - I hope that is correct. :please:

I thought I remember the Verizon guy and the Sprint guy saying they only kept text messages for about 3 days. Travis wasnt found until 5 days, and not sure exactly when Jodi was brought in for questioning, but wouldnt the texts be gone by then simply going by what the Verizon and Sprint guy stated in their testimony?

They are interested in keeping their jobs and the salaries that come with them.

If you are talking about the forensic experts from the state. That is their job. They are sworn in to tell the truth. PA would not use them if they were testifying to what they have found and it was not beneficial to the State's case. Investigators take their jobs seriously regardless of what they are paid. And investigators working for the state are never paid what they are really worth in my opinion. While they could slant their opinion (because that is all it is) they are stuck with reporting on whatever evidence they have before them. In this case JA has made it much easier for them to identify the killer.

If you are talking about experts. All they are doing is rendering an expert's opinion based on their understanding of what defense has told them about the case. It would be interesting to see if this expert actually sat down with JA and interviewed her, which was not the case with the grief expert in another recent case in which the defendant was found not guilty. jmo

you need to meet more men honey. i've met plenty of men that are not thrilled with easy loose women-!

Thanks for the advice but meeting men in my future is neither necessary nor wanted. I am blessed many times over by being married to a wonderful man for almost 30 beautiful years. But thanks anyway.:)

Never said loose women either.

Has it been established that she won't get the death penalty? Because she is a young white female?

She has Latin and/or Native heritage somewhere for one, two- have you seen AZ's death row women? 3 white women, one young.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Don't assume that all these things will be admitted. The judge has not ruled on much of the evidence relating to self defense. That is what some of these upcoming evidentiary hearings will be about.

I cannot imagine that recorded phone sex would be relevant unless he makes some kind of confession about being abusive in the past. I think she wants to get the phone sex tapes in because Travis said something like she sounded like a teenager having her first orgasm -- trying to paint him as some sort of pedophile. Totally irrelevant IMO and not likely to be admitted.

Even if he did say such a thing she's a grown woman. A lot of men like women dressed like school girls. Doesn't make them pedophiles. This girl is a trip!

Honestly I agree!

I know I see regret and shame written all over my dogs face when he does something naughty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're so right, Linda! Dogs don't know how to lie! WYSIWYG -- that's what they are. Young children are the same -- they haven't learned the art of guile yet (JA was a master, IMO.) And dogs & children love you no matter what. It's sad to say that we older humans are too far away from that type personality, and it's such a shame.
icon9.gif

let us all remember in the interest of fairness, you can't
use what you can't prove on either side. So you really can't say because she
stalked him, its proof of everything. The prosecution couldn't
prove it. It was hearsay. Tires were slashed.. where's the proof it's Jodi?
So you can't allow things for the state based on them being the good guys
that you wouldn't allow for the defense.

The burden is on the state to prove against any reasonable doubt
doubt. She has the right to create that doubt. She won't be the first
nor the last.

Consultants are sometimes doing it for money
but other times for awareness. This domestic violence dr may
be playing into the hands of the devil but may also speak a little truth.
She might help many more people by being a part of this 3 ring circus because of exposure. Or maybe just maybe the consultant really
did feel that Jodi showed signs of abuse.

Many times things in human nature do not make sense but people won't listen
until you put MD after the person doing the talking.

A public awareness announcement certainly has no place in the courtroom with a witness who is under oath. They are experts who are educated enough to know being less than truthful in their statements could get them into trouble and specifically if they are rendering a professional opinion after having examined the defendant. If they are just on the stand to inform the jury what domestic violence is, the PA could very well turn it around on the defense showing how JA would easily fit that very description. I would hope defense has a expert who has examined JA personally, otherwise I see it backfiring on the defense team. jmo

While it might not ACTUALLY fit with this case,
abuse victims do do these kinds of things. Plenty of
women believe a man ( or vice versa) when he says he's changed.
Many victims even feel they deserve it. They feel
if they just do as their abuser wants then nothing
bad will happen. If it was actually true that Travis was
abusive the idea would be that Jodi thought
if she could just do the right things everything
would be ok or this would be a post abusive phase
where he was being sweet and seemed remorseful.

That's why they are bringing on the domestic violence expert because
she will tie up all those kinds of loose ends.

And if she says those things Juan is going to use Travis as a hypothetical example and throw it right back in her face.

Because he fits the profile more of a domestic violence victim than JA.

I cant wait for the cross examine of this DV expert.

Jodi never said to anyone that she thought Travis was going to kill her but Travis sure did about his obsessive stalker.

IMO

A public awareness announcement certainly has no place in the courtroom with a witness who is under oath. They are experts who are educated enough to know being less than truthful in their statements could get them into trouble and specifically if they are rendering a professional opinion after having examined the defendant. If they are just on the stand to inform the jury what domestic violence is, the PA could very well turn it around on the defense showing how JA would easily fit that very description. I would hope defense has a expert who has examined JA personally, otherwise I see it backfiring on the defense team. jmo

BBM

This is a very unique situation for the state and IMO Juan is going to do just that Lamby.

After reading the following, BBM:
"[Arias] was totally obsessed with him," Hughes said. "She wouldn't let him go. Whenever he would try to sever all ties, she would threaten to kill herself ... He would tell her he didn't want anything to do with her, and she would show up at his house. We knew it was her. We didn't want it to be her, but [we] just knew it was."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/29/jodi-arias_n_1174274.html
I can’t help but wonder if that last eerie photo of TA in the shower was when TA saw JA with the knife/gun pointed at herself as a fake sign of impending suicide.

Could JA have subsequently dropped the camera as TA lunged toward her in his attempt to disarm her from hurting herself and JA intentionally and premeditatedly turned the knife/gun on TA?

ETA: i keep thinking about his message to her that he was nothing more than a 'dildo with a heartbeat' to her. that sounds like someone who feels hurt and used. so who was using whom here?

From what I read, it seems TA wanted someone to see the other qualities in him other than what JA saw in him. If I recall he wrote something along those lines in a blog ( the one about marrying a gold digger). That may have been one of the issues that set her off. The more I read about TA, he seems to be a really decent guy. Too bad he got mixed up with a bad seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500