All things Joe Paterno

please post links/comments about the movie. the first thing i think about is how they are going to portray paterno?

according to the paterno family he was a principled but older man who didnt understand that a man could have sex with boys or men.

according to the investigative report he was a conspirator who covered up and protected a child rapist in order to win football games.

so, the producers of the movie have a pretty big choice to make. and it could go either way. his "official" biographer (who destroyed his own reputation in the process) chose the old, slow witted elder statesman route.

not that anyone other than the cool aid drinking happy valley faithful believed.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-al-pacino-joe-paterno-20130117,0,5249790.story

according to the link, the movie is based on the book, which protected and lionized the godfather-like, all controlling head coach who turned senile dummy when his former assistant was outed as a serial rapist who used Joes empire to groom his children victims...

boycott any potential sponser if it turns out that way and start the boycot asap, if it can be determined how they are actually going to portray senile old joe.

Joe was not a feeble old senile man, IMO he didn't want anything to hurt his team.
He knew and I really hope he is portrayed that way.
This will hurt all the abused over again.
I wish there was no movie at all. JMOO

He wasn't a senile old man in 2001. He was passed his prime and overtaken by events in 2011.

And as someone following an intersecting case, I have at least empathy for Paterno.

The director, Brian De Palma, wrote and directed a really good movie on politlcal corruption in Philadelphia called "Blowout." (De Palma was raised in Philly). For the most part, however, I find that his movies are mostly exercises in Hitchcockian technique and leave me feeling a bit cold.

De Palma attended a screening of one his movies at my alma mater back in the 70's and, during the Q&A session, he insulted the entire audience. He is (was, anyway) an abrasive guy. He clearly loathes small towns and religion. I suspect "Happy Valley" is strictly an ironic title. I wouldn't expect Penn State and Paterno to get a favorable treament in this film, even if the source book did go easy on JoePa.

Vigil planned to remember Paterno 1 year later

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?id=19270396&ps=1011&cat=&cps=0&lang=en

............A year after his death, Paterno and a reputation tarnished in the aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal involving retired assistant coach Jerry Sandusky remain sensitive topics for groups of alumni, former players, staffers and community residents.

The Hall of Fame coach died of lung cancer on Jan. 22, 2012, at age 85. On Tuesday — exactly a year after his passing — community residents have organized a vigil at a downtown mural that includes a depiction of Paterno.

A family spokesman has said the Paternos would not take part, and remain in privacy.

Their supporters, though, spoke up at a recent meeting of the university's Board of Trustees.

Most critics are angered by how school leaders handled Paterno's ouster as coach and the explosive findings of the internal investigation led by former FBI director Louis Freeh that put part of the blame on Paterno.

Others say the school hasn't done enough to honor a 46-year career in which Paterno was known for focusing on academics and philanthropy as well as football.

"The university should lead the way and not sit in silence," said Ed Stine, 62, of Gaithersburg, Md., a member of the alumni watchdog group "Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship." He was one at least one of at least four dozen audience members who applauded or praised speakers who paid tribute to Paterno at the meeting.

Much more in 3 page article.....

Was the cause of his lung cancer ever determined? Last I heard, it was felt to be from radon since he didn't smoke.

The director, Brian De Palma, wrote and directed a really good movie on politlcal corruption in Philadelphia called "Blowout." (De Palma was raised in Philly). For the most part, however, I find that his movies are mostly exercises in Hitchcockian technique and leave me feeling a bit cold.

De Palma attended a screening of one his movies at my alma mater back in the 70's and, during the Q&A session, he insulted the entire audience. He is (was, anyway) an abrasive guy. He clearly loathes small towns and religion. I suspect "Happy Valley" is strictly an ironic title. I wouldn't expect Penn State and Paterno to get a favorable treament in this film, even if the source book did go easy on JoePa.

well thats hopeful...now that i think about it I'd be surprised if they soft pedaled dear old Joe. he would be much more compelling as an evil Svengali than a befuddled old fool who is able to micro manage a huge institution while not knowing that men can rape boys.

He wasn't a senile old man in 2001. He was passed his prime and overtaken by events in 2011.

And as someone following an intersecting case, I have at least empathy for Paterno.

was he overtaken by events when he looked the other way while sandusky used his facilities to groom young boys for destruction?

I am interested in the empathy you've found for Joe. Imo, Louie Freeh thinks Joe allowed Sandusky to rape and molest many many young boys in order to protect his football program.

I believe that as well. Its impossible for me to identify with that kind of selfishness. whats the intersecting case?

if i was a pervert living in new york, I'd move to Pa. in a hurry:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...sentenced-to-103-years-for-sexual-abuse?lite=

was he overtaken by events when he looked the other way while sandusky used his facilities to groom young boys for destruction?

2001, probably.

I am interested in the empathy you've found for Joe. Imo, Louie Freeh thinks Joe allowed Sandusky to rape and molest many many young boys in order to protect his football program.

First, note that I said "empathy," not "sympathy." Sometimes you hear things, even have told to you directly, and you just can't bring yourself to believe it. I can understand, though it does not excuse. I've had my own bout of denial, though not nearly as serious.

I believe that as well. Its impossible for me to identify with that kind of selfishness. whats the intersecting case?

The Gricar disappearance. If you would ask me 16 months ago if it was possible for Gricar not to prosecute a case as strong as Sandusky, I would said it was impossible and wouldn't even entertain the idea.

if i was a pervert living in new york, I'd move to Pa. in a hurry:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...sentenced-to-103-years-for-sexual-abuse?lite=

It's where it happens, not where you live.

2001, probably.

First, note that I said "empathy," not "sympathy." Sometimes you hear things, even have told to you directly, and you just can't bring yourself to believe it. I can understand, though it does not excuse. I've had my own bout of denial, though not nearly as serious.

The Gricar disappearance. If you would ask me 16 months ago if it was possible for Gricar not to prosecute a case as strong as Sandusky, I would said it was impossible and wouldn't even entertain the idea.

It's where it happens, not where you live.

i understood "empathy." I think I see where you are coming from. you believe that joe just didnt understand (due to understandable psychological reasons) what was going on rather than understood and looked the other way. I dont believe thats what happened. neither does freeh, imo.

I am not understanding how Gricar affects your opinion. do you now believe Gricar was silenced because he understood the facts and may have been ready to prosecute????

as to pa vs NY....its an interesting culture that doles out 30 years for Sandusky's crimes. incredible. at least if he gets out ever it will probably be in a wheel chair.

First on the time. I do not know the parole standards in NY. That 103 years could mean the perp is out in 5-7 years. In PA, you have to serve half your sentence.

i understood "empathy." I think I see where you are coming from. you believe that joe just didnt understand what was going on rather than understood and looked the other way. I dont believe thats what happened. neither does freeh, imo.

I am not understanding how Gricar affects your opinion. do you now believe Gricar was silenced because he understood the facts and may have been ready to prosecute????

as to pa vs NY....its an interesting culture that doles out 30 years for Sandusky's crimes. incredible. at least if he gets out ever it will probably be in a wheel chair.

I thought, 15 months ago, it was absolutely impossible for RFG not to prosecute a case this strong (with two victims), against the advice of the investigating officer, not to have interviewed Sandusky prior to making this decision, not to have seen that DPW had all relevant reports, and to have done all this in less than 30 days. There is no evidence that he considered reversing that decision. It is incomprehensible, but it happened.

I can understand Paterno being stunned similarly when faced with McQueary's report.

First on the time. I do not know the parole standards in NY. That 103 years could mean the perp is out in 5-7 years. In PA, you have to serve half your sentence.

I thought, 15 months ago, it was absolutely impossible for RFG not to prosecute a case this strong (with two victims), against the advice of the investigating officer, not to have interviewed Sandusky prior to making this decision, not to have seen that DPW had all relevant reports, and to have done all this in less than 30 days. There is no evidence that he considered reversing that decision. It is incomprehensible, but it happened.

I can understand Paterno being stunned similarly when faced with McQueary's report.

OK...stunned is one thing...joining a conspiracy (if not directing one) to obstruct justice and protect your legacy and power is another.

so youve processed Gricars failure to prosecute and joes failure to do due diligence (at least) as psychologically impared decisions. thats how you understand them?

frankly, I dont buy it. but i do understand how someone closer to the story than me ( a disappointed stater) might.

Katie Couric Lands Interview With Widow of Joe Paterno (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/katie-couric-interview-joe-paternos-417831

Sue Paterno will answer questions for the first time since the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal rocked Penn State.

Katie Couric has landed an exclusive interview with the widow of Penn State football coach Joe Paterno. It is the first in-depth interview Sue Paterno has given since the sex-abuse scandal rocked college sports and forever tarnished her husband's legacy............

Sue Paterno also is scheduled to appear at Katie's New York studio on
Feb.11, when the installment is scheduled to air. ............

Sue Paterno defends late husband
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...terno-letter-penn-state-nittany-lions-players

Sue Paterno, the widow of late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno, has emailed a letter to hundreds of former Nittany Lions players informing them that a report, commissioned by the family in response to the Freeh report that followed the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse case, will be released Sunday.

There is already a problem. More information was released with the Spanier presentment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back