GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

http://registercitizen.com/articles/2013/03/20/news/doc514a33ce3b7d1094742317.txt

OK..so it is two (2) DIFFERENT thirteen-year-old girls, two (2) DIFFERENT eighteen-year-old men, and one (1) seventeen-year-old boy involved. There are two (2) different incidents. Incident #1 and #2 are the 2 18 year olds and the 2 13 year olds. There is a separate, earlier incident with the 17 year old and one of the 13 year olds.

It is sad that the prosecutor is trying to go through such pains to explain the rape charge and that there is no such thing as consent between a 13 year old and a 17 or 18 year old.

Good commentary: In Steubenville, why didn't other girls help? http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/20/opinion/simmons-steubenville-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I've seen this in other sexual assault cases as well as bullying cases: teenage girls can be vicious '*advertiser censored* shamers.' It is disheartening that this attitude of 'she shouldn't have been in that situation if she didn't want to be raped' is still so prevalent, let alone among young girls. :(

In addition to the family statement that was released, this is a good article as well as a 44 minute (unedited) interview with M H, regarding his son and his family and the role their home played in the Steubenville rape case.

Owner of Steubenville Home Where Photo, Video Was Taken Talks to WKBN

Snip

"But H said the girl, the two teenagers convicted Sunday of raping the girl were never invited to their home and were repeatedly asked to leave by H’s son and wife. The man who made the video, H said, also showed up to his home uninvited.

He said his home is open to his son’s friends but drinking is never tolerated. H also said there was no drinking at his home that night and that his son was never involved taking or witnessing the taking of the photo or the shooting of the video.

H also said his son, JH, was investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing by a slew of law enforcement from the state’s Attorney General’s office, Jefferson County Sheriffs deputies and Steubenville police. He said his son testified under oath and cooperated with investigators from the outset of the case."

Much, much more...

What About the Victim: The Steubenville Rape Victim’s Recovery
Time
By Maia SzalavitzMarch 20, 2013

"But with so much attention focused on the lasting legacy the convictions will have on the boys, there seemingly hasn’t been as much concern for how the victim moves on from this very public exposure of a night she would rather put behind her. As the latest threats against her highlight, the fact that her experience unfolded in front of millions on social media may make her recovery all the more challenging. The social and emotional support that she does or does not receive now, experts say, could help determine whether she will be resilient or suffer lasting psychological damage."

Much more...

Has anyone posted this story?
Conn. high school football players accused of sex assault

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...yers-sex-assault-connecticut-accused/2003379/

TORRINGTON, Conn. (AP) — Two Connecticut high school football players have been charged in sexual assault cases involving different 13-year-old girls, at least one of whom has been taunted online by dozens of upset classmates.

...The case has some parallels to one in Steubenville, Ohio, where two football players were convicted this week of raping a girl who was later threatened online.

Give me a few minutes and I'll set up a thread on this in Crimes Spotlight on Children. I'll bring a link back when I get it created.

Salem

Give me a few minutes and I'll set up a thread on this in Crimes Spotlight on Children. I'll bring a link back when I get it created.

Salem

Uhoh....I just started a thread on that over there...I guess Salem will see it....

I thought the 2nd reason why we use initials for everyone is so WS is less "google-able". Since we're victim friendly, you don't want all the trolls descending upon us....??

O/T but I really like the word "google-able." May I use it?:rocker:

:furious:
In addition to the family statement that was released, this is a good article as well as a 44 minute (unedited) interview with M H, regarding his son and his family and the role their home played in the Steubenville rape case.

Snip

"But H said the girl, the two teenagers convicted Sunday of raping the girl were never invited to their home and were repeatedly asked to leave by H’s son and wife. The man who made the video, H said, also showed up to his home uninvited.

He said his home is open to his son’s friends but drinking is never tolerated. H also said there was no drinking at his home that night and that his son was never involved taking or witnessing the taking of the photo or the shooting of the video.

H also said his son, J, was investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing by a slew of law enforcement from the state’s Attorney General’s office, Jefferson County Sheriffs deputies and Steubenville police. He said his son testified under oath and cooperated with investigators from the outset of the case."

Much, much more...
So Mr. H basically forced the drunken kids out of his home into the night. The girl was puking and passing out. She was in the street with no shirt on puking in FRONT of his home. At midnight. With 2 drunk boys. And you did nothing wrong???

This is messed up in so many ways!

OK...I've seen the interview with Mr. H and he has become say more "human" to me. I have to say that he does seem like a nice guy and a good parent. I do empathise with him about his sone being called a rapist, etc...when none of it was true. I do think they he needs to focus on his son's friends as the source of a lot of those issues, but I do feel for him.

He kept saying that 20/20 hindsight - sure he might do things differently. But it does seem to me that his son was trying to do the right thing. I'm really torn about all of this. He really does sound like a good guy who had no expectations that this would invade his life that night. He actually seems like a lot of guys I know.

I actually do feel for him.

Walter Madison, defense counsel for M.R., on the purpose of juvenile court,

Madison described on the program* his client’s tearful apology saying, “We're in juvenile court and these are juveniles and that's -- what America witnessed is exactly what juvenile court is supposed to do. You saw a court staff sobbing. You saw a court reporter -- news reporters sobbing. There wasn't a dry eye in that courtroom. They were crying for [M.R.].”

http://www.ibtimes.com/exclusive-st...-appearance-steubenville#.UUohqFoJ1-E.twitter

By Charles Poladian | March 20 2013 3:29 PM | International Business Times

*Piers Morgan Live, CNN, March 18, 2013

Good commentary: In Steubenville, why didn't other girls help? http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/20/opinion/simmons-steubenville-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I've seen this in other sexual assault cases as well as bullying cases: teenage girls can be vicious '*advertiser censored* shamers.' It is disheartening that this attitude of 'she shouldn't have been in that situation if she didn't want to be raped' is still so prevalent, let alone among young girls. :(

Sadly, women tend to be women's worst enemy. This has been one of the major issues with feminism. Take for example the "*advertiser censored* walk". I participate and am a strong supporter of it-yet some of my Gender Studies colleagues have their g-strings in a knot over it. Sigh. I do hope women also learn from this.

There is an awesome blog out there on this called "I'm not your mother or your daughter, I am a person" talking about this case. Suggested reading and sharing.
D we now with is going on with the girls who were arrested?

I just can't read anymore about this case. It upsets me on so many level's.

It just keeps getting worse.

I just can't read anymore about this case. It upsets me on so many level's.

It just keeps getting worse.

Oh dear friend, you are strong. I know that as a woman and a survivor of domestic violence and date rape, these things are too close for comfort. And the I think of Jane Doe. She stood up and showed us all how to keep going. People like us can make a difference. :grouphug:

Walter Madison, defense counsel for M.R., on the purpose of juvenile court,

Madison described on the program* his client’s tearful apology saying, “We're in juvenile court and these are juveniles and that's -- what America witnessed is exactly what juvenile court is supposed to do. You saw a court staff sobbing. You saw a court reporter -- news reporters sobbing. There wasn't a dry eye in that courtroom. They were crying for [M.R.]

http://www.ibtimes.com/exclusive-st...-appearance-steubenville#.UUohqFoJ1-E.twitter

By Charles Poladian | March 20 2013 3:29 PM | International Business Times

*Piers Morgan Live, CNN, March 18, 2013
Sad. I haven't read one word about court staff, news reporters the defendants or their families crying during the heart wrenching testimony of JD or the others who testified to the rape, humiliation and the sheer brutality of what they did to her. I'm going to have a cry now.

Snip

H also said his son, J, was investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing by a slew of law enforcement from the state’s Attorney General’s office, Jefferson County Sheriffs deputies and Steubenville police. He said his son testified under oath and cooperated with investigators from the outset of the case."

Much, much more...

I am almost speechless at what I bolded and underlined.

Really? No drinking? Uh huh. So they all got drunk or high elsewhere. Sure. Whose gun was on the floor by MN, btw? So Howarth's wife and son kept asking these kids to leave because they were uninvited, and what they didnt notice the state the girl was in? That she had been carried in to their home?

Do I have the right house? This is the second party where MN shot his mouth off?

There was an ADULT present who observed the condition our JD was in and she did nothing?

How dare she. I guess this gives me a little more insight into where the extreme apathy came from.

Good Luck with that explanation Mr H.

I may get in trouble for saying this, but over the course of the last 50 (or so) posts, I have gleaned that:
A person named J.H. was initially accused, but has been found to have had no involvement in the crime. (Initially, I thought this was a reference to J*n* H*nl*n). This OTHER "J.H." has been named in several posts by his first name, and one by his last name. If he is generally considered NOT to be one of the "bad guys", shouldn't we be consistently referring to him by initials only? Particularly if he is a minor (don't know about this). If M.N. is being given this courtesy after the VILE things he said in the 12½ minute video, and IS over 18, I am asking for the same consideration for this OTHER boy. I do not know any of the parties involved, and have never been to Ohio, so I have no dog in this fight. I just want to be fair to a kid who is generally presumed innocent.

I thought the 2nd reason why we use initials for everyone is so WS is less "google-able". Since we're victim friendly, you don't want all the trolls descending upon us....??

Thanks. Good point.

In addition to the family statement that was released, this is a good article as well as a 44 minute (unedited) interview with Marty H, regarding his son and his family and the role their home played in the Steubenville rape case.

Snip

He said his home is open to his son’s friends but drinking is never tolerated. Howarth also said there was no drinking at his home that night and that his son was never involved taking or witnessing the taking of the photo or the shooting of the video.

Much, much more...

(edited out names and bolded initials)

Please? This kid is still being named and it seems unfair if he's not a part of the crime, and some who seem to have more involvement are not being named outright.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmiter
Back