TX - Longview, WhtFem (UP 9863), 41-50, Suicide - Assumed Identity, Dec'10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just keep in mind that most people didn't have caller ID in the 1980's. (It was first introduced in 1988 and that was only in some parts of the country.) So she would have had numbers that she was trying to trace for some other reason. Not because she was afraid of a caller. As for complaining about charges, most people did not have cell phones and incoming calls are not charged to the receiver's phone bill on landlines.

Deleted my first response to this.

Anyway, I didn't grow up with caller ID, so I understand that aspect. The calls could have been collect so they would have appeared on a statement.

I was just trying to think of reasons people commonly access "caller ID" etc. If she was threatened by a caller, she could have been afraid. I don't know if that the case, tho.

The purpose of the legal name change is so you don't run across someone familiar with the identity you assumed. If someone finds out you share the same name and birth date, it would be over. Or, Imagine it ending up in the paper or the billboard at a ball game.

The link between the two isn't for covert purposes, it is more of a defense measure against accidental exposure.

One of the problems with the Paper Chase was that there was no guarantee that someone else had not been to that particular tombstone first and used "your" name to go rob a bank. And with a common name like BST, it would be a bad risk. That was the purpose for the name change.

Even if they don't want to reveal the name- it would be nice to know if she had a profession of some sort, spoke with an accent and other details. How long she was living in the area?
If we could find one of her "new" friends or coworkers they could answer some questions...

She did NOT speak with any kind of accent which is why it is thought she might have originally come from the Pacific Northwest.

Jane Doe: a quick description

She claimed she was 18 in 1988. She probably was older than that — in her mid-twenties, perhaps
She was tall, about 5'10"
She did not speak with any discernible accent.
She was in Boise at some point in 1988
She had a PO box in Boulder City, Nev., in the late 1980s
She had very long hands, and said she had been a hand model
She may have had a nose job at some point
She had breast implants
She was very religious
She may have had ADHD, OCD, or Tourette's Syndrome
She said she loved Cuban food

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021243552_janedoexml.html

P.S. I think if she had had OCD or Tourette Syndrome (which are possibly related), the family would have known. My mother has OCD and my brother has Tourette Syndrome and trust me, the family knows. Her husband would have known if she had particular fears/ritualistic behaviors (from OCD) or exhibited "twitches" (from Tourette Syndrome). All it says is that Blake says she "had medication" that MAY have been for OCD or Tourettes.

What if one of us created a Facebook page called "Who was Lori Erica Ruff" or some such thing that had photos of all the evidence and posts with everything we know right now? That could be 'shared' around and might 'go viral' which would get a TON of attention to it and might catch the attention of someone who actually knew her before 1988. It would be no different from an article giving out the same information publically. Unless there are legitimate reasons why this would be a bad idea, I think I'll set one up today. Thoughts??

One of the problems with the Paper Chase was that there was no guarantee that someone else had not been to that particular tombstone first and used "your" name to go rob a bank. And with a common name like BST, it would be a bad risk. That was the purpose for the name change.

I don't think it helps with that. Name changes as far as I know, have always been public record. So it wouldn't help for someone who was actively pursuing you (like hunting bank robbers with the same name).

I think she was already going by Lori when she stole BST's identity, and then quickly changed it to what she'd been going by.

There's also the possibility that she's from right there in Texas. Dallas is a huge place. Also, people who live their whole life in Texas wouldn't think someone else who lived their whole life in Texas had an "accent." They'd sound just like them.

I mean, I don't have a Southern accent. Only people who don't live here think I do. hahaha To people around me, I talk just like everyone else, you know? When someone ISN'T from Mississippi/Alabama... I can tell.

I found this statement strange. Everybody has an accent.

I'm pretty sure they meant that her manner of speaking was similar to what we have here in the Pacific Northwest, which has often been thought to be a "non accent" way of speaking (you've heard people talk about a Southern or East Coast or Boston accent but have you heard anyone gripe about a "Pacific Northwest accent"?) but you're right. Everyone has an accent.

doe_likeness.jpg

Found a student with her likeness from Nevada yearbooks for 1987 and 1988. The photo on the far right is a '87 sophomore photo, and the middle is the '88 junior photo of the same girl. I cannot locate an '89 class yearbook to see this student's senior photo.

On an uncanny and unrelated note, in both yearbooks, I recognized a former co-worker friend in both yearbooks. Wasn't sure if it was her, and after further research, by golly, it is my friend. And I never knew she went to this school and had lived in Nevada. Lol.

doe_likeness.jpg

Found a student with her likeness from Nevada yearbooks for 1987 and 1988. The photo on the far right is a '87 sophomore photo, and the middle is the '88 junior photo of the same girl. I cannot locate an '89 class yearbook to see this student's senior photo.

On an uncanny and unrelated note, in both yearbooks, I recognized a former co-worker friend in both yearbooks. Wasn't sure if it was her, and after further research, by golly, it is my friend. And I never knew she went to this school and had lived in Nevada. Lol.

This person does look alot like her and the shape of the teeth in the second picture is close. Does anyone know anything about plastic surgeries for the face? The reason I ask is because both of these young women, who DO look like "Lori" have the common nasolabial folds (the folds from nose to mouth created by the smile) and Lori's face is totally flat in that area EVEN when she smiles. Is that something she could have had done and was she getting plastic surgery this early on in her life?

This person does look alot like her and the shape of the teeth in the second picture is close. Does anyone know anything about plastic surgeries for the face? The reason I ask is because both of these young women, who DO look like "Lori" have the common nasolabial folds (the folds from nose to mouth created by the smile) and Lori's face is totally flat in that area EVEN when she smiles. Is that something she could have had done and was she getting plastic surgery this early on in her life?

The girl in both yearbook photos really took a 360 with her looks a year later. I wouldn't have thought it was the same person, but it is.

2 brief thoughts:
a. re 402 month issue: mortgage, rent, car payment?
b. could she have been a missionary kid in Thailand? I grew up w/ a ton of kids whose parents were missionaries all over the world for the 7th Day Adventists. They were vegetarian. Also, the kids would have big gaps in their education b/c they'd go overseas for a couple years and be home-schooled or do correspondence school, come back for a year, go back to some other country, return to the US again, etc. The one family I knew who was in Thailand and then Indonesia DID ride around in limos and have "staff" when overseas, but it was for their own safety and cultural norms in the places they were based and part of their church's compound. When they were back in the US, they lived normal, very modest lives.

Just a thought on why people might not readily recognize her here in the US.

2 brief thoughts:

b. could she have been a missionary kid in Thailand? I grew up w/ a ton of kids whose parents were missionaries all over the world for the 7th Day Adventists. They were vegetarian. Also, the kids would have big gaps in their education b/c they'd go overseas for a couple years and be home-schooled or do correspondence school, come back for a year, go back to some other country, return to the US again, etc. The one family I knew who was in Thailand and then Indonesia DID ride around in limos and have "staff" when overseas, but it was for their own safety and cultural norms in the places they were based and part of their church's compound. When they were back in the US, they lived normal, very modest lives.

Just a thought on why people might not readily recognize her here in the US.

Interesting thought. There is/was definitely an Adventist presence in Thailand. There is at least one major Adventist hospital there, established in the early or mid 20th century.

Simply put, yes. When you get rhinoplasty there are several ways to go about it. i don't want to post my own photos on here to show the difference taking a bump out and thinning the bridge can do .. but it is very dramatic and not in the 'michael jackson' sorta way. It can look very natural but change 100% the way your "face falls" as it ages. Does that make sense? Unless you constantly tweak it (which you're supposed to do the upkeep).

Personally, I think we should stop looking among the "missing" pre-teens and teenagers for this person. If she were snatched at any point during her life when she had cognizance she would NOT have been party to the "identity theft" thing. She was either the only party involved or she was complicit in it.

Children who were snatched from their parents sole interest is FINDING their family again. Perhaps you've heard the story of Pepper Smith, who was snatched as a very young child? She spent her entire life looking for her family and didn't find them until 35 or so years later. She would never have stolen an identity and then changed her name so there was no hope at all of her family finding her...even when she was an adult.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/43260234#43260234

P.S. Off topic, am I the only one who thinks this Keith Morrison guy has a really creepy way of talking?? :D :D
I agree that I don't believe she was reported missing as a teen or maybe didn't disappear until she was an adult.. but we can't forget that not all teens that were missing want to be reunited and found like Pepper. Not all are kidnapped, many of the missing adults and teens are runaways who wanted to disappear and not be found for whatever reasons (abusive parents, maybe they were being molested, or just not happy at home)...

Simply put, yes. When you get rhinoplasty there are several ways to go about it. i don't want to post my own photos on here to show the difference taking a bump out and thinning the bridge can do .. but it is very dramatic and not in the 'michael jackson' sorta way. It can look very natural but change 100% the way your "face falls" as it ages. Does that make sense? Unless you constantly tweak it (which you're supposed to do the upkeep).

Yes, that makes sense. Her lack of nasolabial folds is actually not super common; her face is flat in an area where most people have something in the way of folds. (If you look at President Obama, he has pronounced nasolabial folds, even when NOT smiling. This sort of thing is a sign of aging and some have surgery for it when they get older.) That's uncommon and just might be a result of plastic surgery...IF she was wealthy enough to get surgery at that age. Do we know anything about her means at that point in her life?

If she was the child of people in a religious group in Thailand or somewhere, she might have been born there with or without a birth certificate but she wouldn't be a US Citizen for sure and "obtaining citizenship" the way she did it certainly would be easier than doing it the right way. And it makes sense that she then wouldn't talk about her background as questions about her citizenship and how she got it most certainly would come up.

That's very curious. Would her fingerprints have been on file then? This "Lori" doesn't have any fingerprints in the system anywhere. They took them after death and checked. I'd wonder if someone was using an "assumed" identity and then changed their name legally to one that had a record but you never know.

I think the Seattle Times or Fox News article said the Vellig guy had ran her prints through the system. Not sure if somehow they could have been missed or the other Lori might not have had hers in the database, don't know how that works..would kind of fit with her financial troubles, bankruptcy -forgery, bad checks... which is another odd twist, she spends money on *advertiser censored*, etc.. and then files bankruptcy... wonder if she financed them with a clean identity and her new ss#? Or paid cash from stripping or??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member