Boy Falls into African Painted Dog Exhibit at Piitsburgh Zoo Dies

Ya know, i have wondered how this would of played out if the social status and ethnic origin were different, and say maybe some little thing like shoplifting in moms past.

I read in comments and such - so rumour- that the zoo is 116 years old, - no deaths- and approx 6 million visitors to african wild dog exhibit.

What makes me unhappy is one day i figure i'm going to be living in a world, with huge fences and signs and rules, because it seems it only takes one person and a good lawyer, to change my need to be responsible for my actions.

Ya know, i have wondered how this would of played out if the social status and ethnic origin were different, and say maybe some little thing like shoplifting in moms past.

I read in comments and such - so rumour- that the zoo is 116 years old, - no deaths- and approx 6 million visitors to african wild dog exhibit.

What makes me unhappy is one day i figure i'm going to be living in a world, with huge fences and signs and rules, because it seems it only takes one person and a good lawyer, to change my need to be responsible for my actions.

The victim in this case is the child, who was not old enough to be responsible for his "actions". We as a society have to protect those who are too young to protect themselves.

Again, the Pittsburgh Zoo is my favorite zoo, one I have visited dozens of times. (My niece and nephew used to live in Pittsburgh.)

The victim in this case is the child, who was not old enough to be responsible for his "actions". We as a society have to protect those who are too young to protect themselves.

The child didn't do ANYTHING! If it had been left up to the child he never would have been capable of falling into that pit even if he tried!

Again, the Pittsburgh Zoo is my favorite zoo, one I have visited dozens of times. (My niece and nephew used to live in Pittsburgh.)

bbm, That would be the person who placed the child in the position to fall. If society is responsible then the child should have been removed from the mothers care before her irresponsible decision to place the child in a situation to be killed. It's her fault. jmo She can blame the zoo all she wants but at the end of the day she is to blame. jmo

The child didn't do ANYTHING! If it had been left up to the child he never would have been capable of falling into that pit even if he tried!

So we agree. What I said was that an older child might have been under less supervision (I've seen kids running loose at that zoo and the zoo itself runs a summer camp program) and therefore able to surmount the barrier without assistance from a negligent parent.

For that reason, the exhibit may need some redesign. (I say "may" because I still haven't seen it.)

bbm, That would be the person who placed the child in the position to fall. If society is responsible then the child should have been removed from the mothers care before her irresponsible decision to place the child in a situation to be killed. It's her fault. jmo She can blame the zoo all she wants but at the end of the day she is to blame. jmo

You're entitled to your opinion, but it is incorrect according to PA law. See my citation above. Liability can be shared by the parent and the zoo.

WPXI.com/News
I tried to copy and paste link, but my computer is acting up........
Pittsburgh local news station ..........
ZOO lawsuit BLAMES mom now ................
counter suit saying she was at fault.
A must read article.

Anyone remember the weather that day? I thought it was cool, misty railing slippery???........but my friend thinks it was a beautiful day.........

The railing at the exhibit was tilted 45 degrees toward visitors in order to prevent visitors -- including children -- from sitting or standing on it.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/alle.../17530794/-/jl4ekq/-/index.html#ixzz2edm8Ds2t
http://www.wtae.com/news/local/alle...bit/-/10927008/17530794/-/jl4ekq/-/index.html

How did that mom stand her toddler on a railing which is tilted 45 degrees inward? An L is an example of a 90 degree angle, so half of that is a 45 degree angle. (I'm thinking out loud here.) How did a toddler stand on a 45 degree angled railing? He couldn't have stood on it, IMO.

Anyone remember the weather that day? I thought it was cool, misty railing slippery???........but my friend thinks it was a beautiful day.........

I can't find any info on whether or not it was raining that day. This site says it was 40 degrees at Braddock on Nov. 4th.
http://weathersource.com/account/se...emo=1&sid=0qkpm8e2mlq2ga78thn90im895&search=1

Here it is. There was zero precipitation on Nov. 4, 2012.
http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/PA/Pittsburgh/2012-11-04

I agree with the zoos lawyers.

me too

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/court-docs-pittsburgh-zoo-says-mother-was-blame-to/nZtBd/

Elizabeth Derkosh and her husband Jason, 37, of Whitehall filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the zoo in May alleging the zoo “blatantly ignored” a warning from a zoo employee about the potential danger the wild dog exhibit posed to youngsters hoisted by their parents onto the exhibit's railing.

In their complaint, the Derkoshes admit that Elizabeth Derkosh lifted her son onto the four-foot tall railing overlooking the exhibit during their visit when the boy fell 14 feet onto a mesh net and bounced into the pen.

i did'nt think the zoo would counter sue - but i am so glad the zoo did.

Boy Falls into African Painted Dog Exhibit at Piitsburgh Zoo Dies - Page 13 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Sonya610 post 310 -video

the more safety structures put in place, the less responsible some(many) parents becomes, what did that child learn - he should of felt a little fear and learned some respect for animals with large teeth-he should of learnt that stressing an animal can be dangerous but no - but what if the glass had broke - what if because the lion was riled up the lion had attacked another lion in the enclosure.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...attacked-by-lion-south-africa-moholoholo.html
quote--Jones said other witnesses at the park reported that Fagen was too close to the enclosure and was warned by other students to move back when the lion grabbed her.

“It’s almost impossible for anything to happen unless you break the rules,” he said.

“She’s probably been watching too many TV programs where you see tame lions and people are hugging them. That is imprinted in their minds. She’s come from Canada not realizing she’s in wild Africa and trying to hug these animals.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/12/lauren-fagen-girl-attacked-by-lion_n_3585833.html

quote--“This little girl, she confessed the first day, ‘I’ve come to hug a lion or a cheetah or a leopard. I want to hug them.' I said, ‘You cannot hug no animal. A week later, she’s trying to hug the leopards. She’s chasing the antelope around the yard. She’s trying to hug them. I thought, ‘Goodness me. She’s cuckoo.’”

Zoos have wild animals, many of them predators, the animals are dangerous, it is the parent or guardian that is responsible to read the safety signs and be responsible for any child in that environment.
The zoos responsibility is to make sure the animals cannot escape and cause harm. It is not the zoos responsibility to parent the parents, maybe the zoo could offer guided tours at an extra cost to the consumer, then the guide can read the safety signs to the parents.

It was the first time EVER that the wild dogs have been bred in captivity, the first time EVER that they could start to understand the social structure of these very endangered animals.
A Wild dog breeding might never happen again- obviously the zoo had created the right enviroment for the wild dogs- but now they have no wild dogs and years of research lost, i remember reading about the successful breeding-it was epic , it is very important to the survival of the breed, captive life is possibly the only future existence of the African wild dog.
the zoo should sue for its losses, aka- public attendence-research- death of wild dog etc.
i so wish the parents had just let it be - but as said up thread suing - its the American way. jmo mooo

You're entitled to your opinion, but it is incorrect according to PA law. See my citation above. Liability can be shared by the parent and the zoo.

I love ya' Nova and usually I agree with you. Not on this one. Sometimes tragic accidents happen. Sometimes people make mistakes and horrible things result from those mistakes. But we can't litigate and legislate ourselves into an accident-proof world. What we can do, though, is litigate and legislate ourselves into a drab world where we can't have fun anymore, where only busInesesses with a huge amount of capital can risk providing entertainment or services to the public and where we have to be helmeted and padded to suffocation and sign extensive release forms before we can enter any establishment.

If the zoo had little steps leading to the rail, or had a line of icecream cones or toys dangling in a place only reachable by standing on the rail or if they had sings inviting people to stand there, them they would be negligent. As it stands, IMO, it is only the mom who was negligent here.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/alle.../17530794/-/jl4ekq/-/index.html#ixzz2edm8Ds2t
http://www.wtae.com/news/local/alle...bit/-/10927008/17530794/-/jl4ekq/-/index.html

How did that mom stand her toddler on a railing which is tilted 45 degrees inward? An L is an example of a 90 degree angle, so half of that is a 45 degree angle. (I'm thinking out loud here.) How did a toddler stand on a 45 degree angled railing? He couldn't have stood on it, IMO.

Well she was apparently holding him, not very tightly and clearly not safely. But she was keeping him perpendicular to the ground.

He could not of fallen -unless she let go- or let him balance by himself and let go---she was not holding him or she would of had a jacket ot pants or some type of clothing in her hands. jmo

The woman admits she put the child on the railing, and then she has the gull to sue? If this woman stuck the child into a window, and a child fell, would she sue the building builder?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back