Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the court witnesses yesterday he now has a beard.

The Herald Sun on the paper today mentions they have a source that he was ‘on the radar’ for 2 weeks.
That is interesting that he was on LE radar for two weeks. I think there has been someone or more than one who have had their suspicions and have contacted police.

Is there a source for the claim "that someone claimed" or is it just a rumor that seems to be morphing into a "fact".
I have no idea if the suspect did or did not volunteer or give the appearance of a volunteer, but wondering if a rumor is true is just giving it feet.
It was mentioned in some articles and radio interviews that Police could be considering the alleged killer could be part of local searches:

“Police will also be considering that one of those searchers is the (alleged) killer in that they have inculcated themselves into that situation to be seen as part of the community, but also keeping an eye on what’s going on,” he explained.

Is there a source for the claim "that someone claimed" or is it just a rumor that seems to be morphing into a "fact".
I have no idea if the suspect did or did not volunteer or give the appearance of a volunteer, but wondering if a rumor is true is just giving it feet.
Didn't it come out of a TV show as a potential situation mentioned by an 'expert', which was then reported on by the print media?

Really, IMO, up until reports of the arrest, everything previously published/discussed was pure... hot air is a nicer way to describe it than the more earthy image I could use.

JMO

A little off topic but has been on my mind - these two recent crimes, double murder in Sydney and this alleged murder were both committed by young men who seemingly had it all. Integrated into society, with friends, careers, (partly) supportive family.

I feel that as a society we have become much better to accept and integrate ‘loner types’ (the profiles of some murderers in mass shootings in the US).

What can we, if anything, as a society learn from these recent, horrific crimes?
They are the time bombs of any community. It is , possibly, easy to state that signs must have been missed, and that is , in one sense very true, but if the signs are not known, or not registered in the mind as a sign of something larger and more devastating coming down the pipe , then the signs, such as they are , remain a low hum in the background, over ridden by louder sounds of life and time . Perhaps these signs are only seen from a backwards perspective...

Whoever does discover the cure for it, though, should bottle and trademark it.

And yes, 'seemingly had it all'.... it is easier to list what they didn't have going for them, the top of the list would be empathy, than to list all the advantages they both had and still have. Even in prison, they will be young, fit, white, tall, slim, articulate, trained in a trade, ( cop and electrician ) educated ( both from private schools , maybe not very well, but even so ) they still hold a lot of aces in comparison to many others.....

I think we can all safely rule out accident, since he has been charged with murder. Murder implies the exact opposite meaning to 'accident'. Accident is an unintentional consequence of an incidental action, murder is the intentional consequence of a deliberate and considered choice of operative action. .. ... with all due respect, accident is off the board now as an alternative explanation for Mrs Murphy's demise.

She was murdered, he is charged with her murder , based on the current evidence VICPOL have to hand.
You do see this a lot though. A person will be charged with murder and it will be downgraded to manslaughter in some form due to a plea deal or further evidence.

I remember that an ‘expert’ was quoted in a publication saying that it’s possible the offender is ‘helping’ with the search. As far as I know no facts or statements from the police to back this up.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a case of a missing person anywhere in the world where an expert didn't say "it's possible that a suspect could pretend/offer to help". This suspect has been named and making this "claim" now is just spreading false info until it is confirmed by LE.

It was mentioned in some articles and radio interviews that Police could be considering the alleged killer could be part of local searches:

“Police will also be considering that one of those searchers is the (alleged) killer in that they have inculcated themselves into that situation to be seen as part of the community, but also keeping an eye on what’s going on,” he explained.

To be fair, living so close to the scene where she may have disappeared and being fit and able bodied with a family known in the community it may have looked strange if he DIDNT partake in the search.

They are the time bombs of any community. It is , possibly, easy to state that signs must have been missed, and that is , in one sense very true, but if the signs are not known, or not registered in the mind as a sign of something larger and more devastating coming down the pipe , then the signs, such as they are , remain a low hum in the background, over ridden by louder sounds of life and time . Perhaps these signs are only seen from a backwards perspective...

Whoever does discover the cure for it, though, should bottle and trademark it.

And yes, 'seemingly had it all'.... it is easier to list what they didn't have going for them, the top of the list would be empathy, than to list all the advantages they both had and still have. Even in prison, they will be young, fit, white, tall, slim, articulate, trained in a trade, ( cop and electrician ) educated ( both from private schools , maybe not very well, but even so ) they still hold a lot of aces in comparison to many others.....
Yes, very well said.

Maybe one of the lessons is for society to not go by appearances and be more aware of what’s underneath the surfaces - not assuming people are ok based on their careers, appearances, families. Like you are saying seeing what a person is lacking. Not to avoid murders necessarily (they are fortunately very rare, speaking from an Australian perspective) but for better mental health overall.

Social media is very counterproductive in this regard.

"Samantha Murphy:

Startling new theory as man is arrested in Ballarat.

Samantha Murphy's phone may have been used to mislead detectives as a diversion tactic, a top criminal psychologist has suggested.
Forensic psychologist Tim Watson-Munro responded to reports Ms Murphy's phone 'pinged' a Buninyong phone tower at 5 pm on the Sunday she vanished, around 10 hours after she left her Ballarat East home.

Mr Munro-Watson said it struck him as 'unusual' that her phone had suddenly reactivated 10 hours later, with the caveat that phone service may not be optimal in rural Victoria.

'Why the phone didn't ping for that period of time is really a matter of speculation'.

'It could suggest that she was still around and alive at that time or it could suggest that somebody has taken her phone and waited a respectable period of time before activating it in a totally different area to put people off the scent as a sort of diversionary tactic'.

'It could be that the phone was disposed of and didn't become connected to the network until that time'.

'It seems to be more of a diversionary tactic than something that's perhaps more significant in terms of locating her dead or alive'."

he was probably out drinking and revelling in the excitement of it all, the whole town/country was talking about it, so if he was kind of showing off, saying silly things, maybe showing little snippets of video, photos etc to his friends, i can imagine a lot of people his age coming forward with info, they probably all know each other socially and im wondering, sorry to be graphic, if he used a car to transport sms body there may have been decomp residue which would smell terrible, surely friends or family would notice?

You do see this a lot though. A person will be charged with murder and it will be downgraded to manslaughter in some form due to a plea deal or further evidence.
I do take your point there, but the police declared that Samantha had been murdered. Attacked , deliberately, and murdered, therefore anyone arrested for the crime of her death is going to be charged with murder. They have ruled out accidental death.

Now, I don't know how they did that, they must have solid evidence to back it up, evidence apart from the state of her body, which has not been found , which makes me conclude that they have rock solid concrete stuff of another sort that points only to murder and no other manner of death.

It would be up to his barrister to argue about downgrading the charge, for which he would have to produce rock solid evidence that would back up the accused claim. It is not something the police do off their own bat, it is done when evidence is produced that nullifies the original charge. This has not been accomplished by the accused as yet.

In regards to a plea deal. This is a high vis murder investigation and subsequent charge. The elements of a plea deal are very very slim, slim to none, I would say, at this point. I don't know what could be produced that would change the plea from where it is , currently. . or who in the Victorian DPP would make that awkward decision. Can't see it happening.

VICPOL has stated clearly that Mrs Murphy is dead, a big statement, and one that is difficult to undo. Not having seen the body, nor has a doctor, nor an ambulance officer, nor a coroner, nor a serving officer of the police force seen the body, it is reasonable to assume that VICPOL have some very heavy , indisputable, unarguable evidence that confirms this statement.
If the victims body was kept at a property [of which police have raided with search warrants looking for evidence] for a few weeks [before it was moved again to its current resting place], it would have released post death chemical markers attached to SMs DNA. Post Mortem biochemistry has most probably played a role in the charge. IMO

Because many violations of our Terms of Service occur during our overnight hours, we are closing this thread until the morning.
Thank you,
Tricia

Gooday Australia...
The hiatus gave me a chance to get totally caught up...
Some things are truly still feeling quite strange, however.
Guess its just a gut feeling, until some real facts roll in....

Has Law Enforcement or local media given any indication what the reason is that they think this man is the likely culprit? He seems not to be the first on the list from a profile standpoint.
They seem pretty positive they have the right person. Maybe someone gave him up. Crimes like this are so hard to believe. Absolutely no reason behind it. So difficult to fathom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant