Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

One truck has been recovered from the water, but at least one vehicle remains hanging from the metal, according to a Homeland Security memo that was described to The Associated Press by a law enforcement official.

You'd have to ask the Port Authority, but I suspect that with the pilots onboard to help the crew reach open ocean, there isn't the need.

MOO

Safely crossing under the FSK Bridge is probably the second most risky part of that ship's journey to open ocean, after leaving the berth.

I don't believe the Harbor Pilot takes the Baltimore vessels much farther than the bridge. The Baltimore Harbor NOAA chart clearly shows a zone just south of the bridge as the Pilot Boarding Area that extends along the marked channel to the area marked Brewerton Angle. ( I can't C&P the section to show but you can easily see it outlined in purple if you open the NOAA file.) https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12281/TileGroup0/3-4-4.jpg

I found this interesting diagram of FSK Bridge "air gap" which is in my layman's terms the clearance under the bridge for the ship.
1711558692973.png

What is interesting to me is how narrow the "navigation channel" is on that diagram as compared to the pier placement. If this is what the Harbor Pilot has to navigate, the ship was mis-aligned for quite some distance.

This is a good video of air gap on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge What is air gap?

And BTW, look at the fenders on that bridge.

Miguel Luna, 49, was one of the workers who tragically lost their life in result of the bridge collapse, his wife said.

Miguel Luna, 49, was one of the workers who tragically lost their life in result of the bridge collapse, his wife told Telemundo.

So far, Miguel Luna and Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, have been the only two identified among the half-dozen presumed dead, according to reports.

And the death toll could be higher than those six, as Maryland State Police officials warned it’s possible motorists were also on the bridge when it crumbled into the Patapsco. Divers will resume their search at 6 a.m., Wednesday to look for bodies.

Maynor Suazo, 37, arrived in the United States in 2003 from Honduras and started working for the construction company last year, the Journal reported.

His brother, Carlos Suazo, said his loved one, the youngest of eight siblings, was cheerful and chatty and loved to host others. He would have a packed home every Christmas, Suazo told the publication.

“For my mom, I think this is the worst information she has ever received,” Carlos said while showing a photo of another brother in Honduras consoling their mother. “Maynor was her baby, the spoiled one.”

The family had not yet told Maynor’s 5-year-old daughter, Alexa, that her father was likely not coming home Tuesday night.

“She was glued to her dad. Her dad was everything to her,” Carlos told the Journal. “They haven’t told her anything. Just that her dad hasn’t arrived.” :(

So very sad, for all of the Victims' Families and Friends.

RIP.

guardianAngelPraying.jpg

The Baltimore Harbor pilots do not take the ship to the ocean.

There are also Chesapeake Bay Pilots that take most all commercial vessels through this huge waterway. The NOAA charts of Chesapeake Bay note numerous Pilot Areas.

"Almost all commercial ships transiting the Chesapeake are required to take on a Chesapeake Bay Pilot to guide the vessel along the length of the bay. The pilots are experienced, many of them with decades of tenure guiding ships in the bay. I believe the pilot program is hugely helpful in accident avoidance."

One truck has been recovered from the water, but at least one vehicle remains hanging from the metal, according to a Homeland Security memo that was described to The Associated Press by a law enforcement official.

Gov. Wes Moore on Wednesday praised divers who have spent hours in frigid water.

“They are down there in darkness where they can literally see about a foot in front of them,” he said. “They are trying to navigate mangled metal and they’re also in a place it is now presumed that people have lost their lives, so the work of these first responders, the work of these divers, I cannot stress enough how remarkable these individuals are.”

I have nothing but the deepest respect for people who do water recovery. To me, it's on an equal par for terrifying with anything to do with heights. Dark, dangerous work that is just about giving those grieving families the body of their loved one to bury. All the kudos, and all the best wishes for a safe return for those working in the harbour right now.

MOO

Unable to slow the ship, Diamond said the pilot, who had more than a decade of experience, radioed an emergency message to have the Francis Scott Key Bridge closed. That mayday call has been credited with saving lives.

A second pilot aboard the Dali was an apprentice who had started his training last month, Diamond said.

Diamond said it is unusual for a ship to experience a total loss of power. “It’s not unheard of for a pilot to experience an engine casualty, it’s not that common to have a full blackout like this,” he said. “This is a complicated piece of equipment so it could be any number of causes.”

Foreign-flagged ships are required to have pilots aboard to guide them in and out of U.S. ports. Pilots have detailed knowledge of local shipping channels and complete an apprenticeship before becoming fully qualified. Diamond said they don’t take direct command of the vessel, but work with its crew to get it safely out to sea

Gov. Wes Moore on Wednesday praised divers who have spent hours in frigid water.

“They are down there in darkness where they can literally see about a foot in front of them,” he said. “They are trying to navigate mangled metal and they’re also in a place it is now presumed that people have lost their lives, so the work of these first responders, the work of these divers, I cannot stress enough how remarkable these individuals are.”

I have nothing but the deepest respect for people who do water recovery. To me, it's on an equal par for terrifying with anything to do with heights. Dark, dangerous work that is just about giving those grieving families the body of their loved one to bury. All the kudos, and all the best wishes for a safe return for those working in the harbour right now.

MOO

Truly a dangerous and emotionally tough job that is a huge service to the family and to the authorities.

HYDERABAD: One of the two pilots from the 22-member all-Indian crew of the Singapore-flagged vessel 'Dali,' which collided with a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, has sustained an injury.

"We confirm the safety of all crew members and two pilots aboard 'DALI,' with one minor injury reported. The injured crew member has been treated and discharged from the hospital," Owners Grace Ocean Pte Ltd & Ship manager of 'Dali' informed on March 27.

The names of the 22 crew members and the two pilots have not been disclosed.

*I suppose the crew of 22 +2 pilots will also be subjected to drug and alcohol testing? Yes? No?

Last edited:
"Transportation Secretary
vowed repercussions for
anyone responsible for bridge collapse.

Investigation is ongoing after a ship crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge."

HYDERABAD: One of the two pilots from the 22-member all-Indian crew of the Singapore-flagged vessel 'Dali,' which collided with a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, has sustained an injury.

"We confirm the safety of all crew members and two pilots aboard 'DALI,' with one minor injury reported. The injured crew member has been treated and discharged from the hospital," Owners Grace Ocean Pte Ltd & Ship manager of 'Dali' informed on March 27.

The names of the 22 crew members and the two pilots have not been disclosed.

*I suppose the crew of 22 +2 pilots will also be subjected to drug and alcohol testing? Yes? No?
I think it would be proper to do drug/ alcohol testing on everyone on that ship.

Others might disagree.

I think the maintenance records and black box will be more informative, though. One saving grace is that not only was the black box recovered, but the engines, generators, and electrical systems on the ship are all accessible and were never submerged or crushed.

I think it would be proper to do drug/ alcohol testing on everyone on that ship.

Others might disagree.

I think the maintenance records and black box will be more informative, though. One saving grace is that not only was the black box recovered, but the engines, generators, and electrical systems on the ship are all accessible and were never submerged or crushed.
The ship has a history of electrical and steering failure. It is also responsible for a crash in Berlin I believe? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

"Transportation Secretary
vowed repercussions for
anyone responsible for bridge collapse.

Investigation is ongoing after a ship crashed into the Francis Scott Key Bridge."

I think that is very badly worded in the tagline by DM. (not surprising). Transportation Secretary Buttigieg does not use the word "repercussions" in his comments.

Repercussion is not the right word to use. This is the definition: An unintended consequence occurring some time after an event or action, especially an unwelcome one.

Whatever actions that are taken will be INTENDED.

The ship has a history of electrical and steering failure. It is also responsible for a crash in Berlin I believe? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
It had one citation for an issue, since passed multiple inspections, so presumably repairs were made.

One year after being launched, it bumped up against a dock and caused damage.

For nine years of continuous service, that doesn't sound like much, to me, but I am not an expert.

An American flag flies on a moored boat as the container ship Dali rests against wreckage of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, Tuesday, March 26, 2024, as seen from Pasadena, Md. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Capt. Michael Burns Jr. of the Maritime Center for Responsible Energy said bringing a ship into or out of ports with limited room to maneuver is “one of the most technically challenging and demanding things that we do.”

There are “few things that are scarier than a loss of power in restricted waters,” he said. And when a ship loses propulsion and steering, “then it’s really at the mercy of the wind and the current.”

The last-minute warning from the ship allowed police just enough time to stop traffic on the interstate highway. One officer parked sideways across the lanes and planned to drive onto the bridge to alert a construction crew once another officer arrived. But he did not get the chance as the powerless the vessel barrelled into the bridge.

It had one citation for an issue, since passed multiple inspections, so presumably repairs were made.

One year after being launched, it bumped up against a dock and caused damage.

For nine years of continuous service, that doesn't sound like much, to me, but I am not an expert.
True. Maybe it really is just an accident then. A tragedy. Hopefully the bodies can be found, and the bridge rebuilt to be more sturdy…though I don’t entirely know what bridges can withstand an impact such as this one. Not an engineer.

The company that chartered the cargo ship that destroyed the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore was recently sanctioned by regulators for blocking its employees from directly reporting safety concerns to the US Coast Guard — in violation of a seaman whistleblower protection law, according to regulatory filings reviewed by the Lever.

Eight months before a Maersk Line Limited–chartered cargo ship crashed into the Baltimore bridge, likely killing six people and injuring others, the Labor Department sanctioned the shipping conglomerate for retaliating against an employee who reported unsafe working conditions aboard a Maersk-operated boat. In its order, the department found that Maersk had “a policy that requires employees to first report their concerns to [Maersk] . . . prior to reporting it to the [Coast Guard] or other authorities.”

Federal regulators at the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which operates under the Labor Department, called the policy “repugnant” and a “reprehensible and an egregious violation of the rights of employees,” which “chills them from contacting the [Coast Guard] or other authorities without contacting the company first.”

The Seaman’s Protection Act was enacted in 1984 to protect maritime workers who reported statutory violations to the Coast Guard from company retaliation. These employees had been left out of other whistleblower laws at the time. In 2010, the legislation was amended to also safeguard employees who refused to perform certain duties due to fears of personal injury.

Enforced by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, companies that violate the Seaman’s Protection Act can be subject to hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines. The Coast Guard also encourages employees to “report any hazardous condition before it results in a costly mishap.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618
Back