OH - Casey Goodson Jr, 23, shot 6 times by Deputy, homicide, Columbus, 4 Dec 2020 *arrest*

Yet another year passes without justice for the family. I hope that the trial will finally begin soon.

Per the Franklin County court docket it looks like the January court date is going to be Monday January 29,2024 at 9am.

Jason Meade, a former deputy with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office (FCSO), was charged with murder and reckless homicide in December 2021 in connection with the shooting. The trial begins one day after what would have been Goodson's 27th birthday.

Meade, who is white, has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

On Dec. 4, 2020, Meade was working with a U.S. Marshals task force searching for a wanted fugitive when he claims he saw Goodson waving a gun erratically from inside his car and then began tracking Meade, according to a December 2021 statement from Meade's lawyers.
PHOTO: Casey Goodson, 23, of Columbus, Ohio, pictured in an undated handout photo, was shot and killed by a Franklin County Sheriff's deputy on Dec. 4, 2020.

The former deputy claims he then followed Goodson home. Meade alleges that Goodson had a pistol in his right hand and a plastic bag in his left hand as he stood outside the door of his grandmother's house, where he lived. Meade said he screamed at Goodson several times to show his hands but his commands were ignored, according to his attorneys' statement

In his opening statement Wednesday in the murder case against Jason Meade, special prosecutor Gary Shroyer shared publicly for the first time where 23-year-old Casey Goodson Jr.’s handgun was discovered. Goodson, who fell when he was shot six times with five shots hitting in the back, also had a gun holster with no strap around his waist, Shroyer said.

Meade, who is white, has pleaded not guilty to murder and reckless homicide in the death of Goodson, who was Black. The sheriff’s deputy shot Goodson as he entered his grandmother’s house, police have said.

The defendant seemed credible on the stand until he got to the part where Goodson allegedly pointed the gun at him. He claims Goodson pointed the gun at him while he was facing the door/house after he had seemed to slump his shoulders in a resigned manner. Also, the defendant claims Woodson’s hands were beneath him (elbows in) after he fell and the gun was under him by his chest area. How does that square with having pointed the gun at the defendant at the point he was shot and fell?

I’m also having a hard time believing that Woodson just randomly pointed the gun at the defendant while driving past? I can imagine Woodson waving the gun around in his car while listening to music. But to point it at people?? I’m wondering if the defendant added that in after the fact to justify the shooting. I don’t know what this defendant was thinking. I’m inclined to believe he thought this was a dangerous / reckless person possibly breaking into a home to avoid LE. But why shoot him?

JMO

Last edited:
Unexpected prosecution witness who was right behind the defendant at the light on the day in question says Goodson didn’t have a gun in his hand. He was dancing and driving erratically. He seems credible to me. But man this jury has their work cut out for them! JMO

The prosecution and defense are expected to present closing arguments Wednesday morning in the murder trial against Jason Meade. Meade, who faces two murder charges and one charge of reckless homicide, fatally shot Casey Goodson Jr. in 2020.

Meade was a Franklin County Sheriff’s deputy coming off an assignment with the U.S. Marshals Service when he fatally shot 23-year-old Casey Goodson Jr. Meade has defended the shooting as necessary, claiming he saw Goodson wave a gun while driving and feared for his life when Goodson pointed that gun at him while standing in the threshold of his grandmother’s northwest Columbus house.

The state and Goodson’s family have argued that Goodson, who had a concealed carry permit, didn’t point his gun at Meade. Any commands Meade gave Goodson to drop his gun or put his hands up would have gone unheard, the state contends. Goodson was listening to music through AirPods when Meade shot him six times, five of which hit his back.

So the prosecutor has said many times now that the defendant has the burden of proof??? Que?

Meade testified that he pursued Goodson because he feared for his life and the lives of others after Goodson waved a gun at him as the two drove past each other. He said he then shot Goodson in the doorway of his grandmother’s home because Goodson turned toward him with a gun.

Police said that Meade, who is a pastor at a Baptist church, shot Goodson six times, including five times in the back.

Goodson’s family and prosecutors have said he was holding a sandwich bag in one hand and his keys in the other when he was fatally shot. They do not dispute that Goodson may have been carrying a gun and note he had a license to carry a firearm.

Goodson’s weapon was found on his grandmother’s kitchen floor with the safety mechanism engaged.

There is no bodycam video of the shooting, and prosecutors repeatedly asserted that Meade is the only person who testified Goodson was holding a gun

I'm surprised that I'm just now learning about this story. What boils my blood in so many cases like this are lies and an attempt to avoid accountability. Admit what you did was wrong and face the consequences.
This reminds me of something one of my friends said, of they put one of mine in the dirt, one of theirs going in the dirt too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
widaniels
Back