Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caylee Anthony 2 years old (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Another New Lawyer for Casey - Dorothy Sims (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112855)

Aedrys 08-26-2010 07:27 PM

Another New Lawyer for Casey - Dorothy Sims

Quote:

Originally Posted by nums24 (Post 5556838)
Records Shed Light On Casey's Latest Jail Visitors
Ocala Lawyer Pays A Visit, Renowned For Cross-Examination, Other Lawyers Say

http://www.wesh.com/r/24774586/detail.html

<snipped>

Casey Anthony recently got a jailhouse visit from an attorney renowned for her cross-examination of medical experts, jail records show.

Interesting. Yet another lawyer willing to attach themselves this case...I wonder if they are force fed the Casey koolaid before agreeing to sign on.

Her name is Dorothy Clay Sims, and Mason believes if there's holes in the medical stuff, she'll find them.

I wonder what happens if there are no holes for her to find? What do you guys think of this latest addition to the dream team?

Paintr 08-26-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aedrys (Post 5557134)
Interesting. Yet another lawyer willing to attach themselves this case...I wonder if they are force fed the Casey koolaid before agreeing to sign on.

Her name is Dorothy Clay Sims, and Mason believes if there's holes in the medical stuff, she'll find them.

I wonder what happens if there are no holes for her to find? What do you guys think of this latest addition to the dream team?

I thought KC already had a female lawyer for the cross examination...Ms Baden? Has she quit

Aedrys 08-26-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintr (Post 5557154)
I thought KC already had a female lawyer for the cross examination...Ms Baden? Has she quit

Huh, that is a dang good question - maybe she's getting ready to leave and this new lawyer is going to take over? I so KNEW she would if that's what is happening!

Itsy 08-26-2010 07:36 PM

Wish I had time to research her...gotta go do some payroll checks for a client, then walk the dog. But thanks for posting this & I'll certainly check back later to see what y'all have found out. :)

I will say, though, that of course JB & Co are going to get anyone that will agree to try to disprove/agrue the State's side of everything they can.

Nore 08-26-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

--------------------------
With Dr.G. handling the autopsy I doubt a problem.If you've ever watched her you know she leaves no stone unturned,even in the toughest cases.Yes I wonder what happened to LKB..How long will this one last?

Paintr 08-26-2010 07:42 PM

These lawyers are like ants at a picnic...they just keep coming! :)

Aedrys 08-26-2010 07:43 PM

Yep, I bet any day now we're going to hear LKB left. They cannot justify having two lawyers doing the same thing and expect to get payment for both. Ain't gonna happen. I'm going to love seeing them try to justify it in from of HHJP, though.

And geesh, how many lawyers are needed on one case? And what could possibly keep attracting lawyers to this one? That might deserve it's own thread, lol.

Snaz 08-26-2010 08:36 PM

Do we know for sure Ms. Sims is taking KC on as a client? The article just says that Dorothy Sims visited KC in jail, which of course, we already knew.

panthera 08-26-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintr (Post 5557154)

I thought the same thing. LKB was supposed to be the one to attack the state's scientific evidence. :waitasec: MOO

Tulessa 08-26-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaz (Post 5557327)
Do we know for sure Ms. Sims is taking KC on as a client? The article just says that Dorothy Sims visited KC in jail, which of course, we already knew.

This is all I know......

Anthony recently got a jailhouse visit from an attorney renowned for her cross-examination of medical experts, jail records show.

Ocala attorney Dorothy Clay Sims visited Anthony in jail on July 30 for about an hour and a half.
Orlando criminal defense attorney Richard Hornsby said Sims is well known for her grasp of issues related to medical expert testimony, which could be a valuable asset to Anthony’s defense team.
“If there are any holes in the autopsy, holes in the evidence, she will expose them,” Hornsby said.

elementary 08-26-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

I just want to know how many lawyers the JAC allows the perp.

Itsy 08-26-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nore (Post 5557173)
--------------------------
With Dr.G. handling the autopsy I doubt a problem.If you've ever watched her you know she leaves no stone unturned,even in the toughest cases.Yes I wonder what happened to LKB..How long will this one last?

I used to watch her show before they moved it from TLC to another cable channel that I don't get - really miss watching her; she's the epitome of professionalism. I agree the defense will have a hard time disputing her findings.

whiteangora 08-26-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

If she was indeed a new member of the team she would have to file a Notice of Appearance, wouldn't she? Has that been done?

Aedrys 08-26-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteangora (Post 5557428)
If she was indeed a new member of the team she would have to file a Notice of Appearance, wouldn't she? Has that been done?

I would think so. But the defense is supposed to be a secret! Baez has to be so mad that this new lawyer has been uncovered because of those darn cocoa and crackers snack list!

We'll probably see a notice at 4:59pm tomorrow, just you wait.

Horace Finklestein 08-26-2010 09:30 PM

So in other words, we're going to be treated to another OJ defense - no actual defense, no alibi, no explanation - just trying to convince the jury that the evidence is faulty, people are out to get the client, etc. Unbelievable and absolutely disgusting. Let's pray for a jury with common sense and let's hope Baez will be running the show...

whiteangora 08-26-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein (Post 5557449)
So in other words, we're going to be treated to another OJ defense - no actual defense, no alibi, no explanation - just trying to convince the jury that the evidence is faulty, people are out to get the client, etc. Unbelievable and absolutely disgusting. Let's pray for a jury with common sense and let's hope Baez will be running the show...

If Baez is running the show the jury could consist of First Graders and they would see the light.

Macushla 08-26-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintr (Post 5557180)

the ants are marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah! Sorry, for some reason that song has been running around in my head today :)

njustice 08-26-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintr (Post 5557180)

Just makes me wonder whether there should be laws around how many lawyers an indigent client should be allowed to retain...

ks1 08-26-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macushla (Post 5557481)
the ants are marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah! Sorry, for some reason that song has been running around in my head today :)

And in my head "the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out"!

Paintr 08-26-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macushla (Post 5557481)

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

watcher9 08-26-2010 10:57 PM

I was wondering how many lawyers can fit at the defense table and the bench behind it? Will the lawyers have to sit in shifts or will they move out the A's and ICA's other special fans so they can all sit down?

nums24 08-27-2010 01:09 AM

I remember seeing this on another thread about Atty. Sims, maybe we'll see if she files a notice of appearance or appears at the status hearing.

Originally Post by LiveLaughLove:

Leila 08-27-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

If her expertise is poking holes in autopsy results, I'm curious as to why she would spend time visiting with Casey? Is it just to introduce herself to Casey and let her know she's now part of the team? Casey can't really shed any light on the medical aspects of the case, unless she were to tell this attorney exactly how she killed Caylee.

Kentjbkent 08-27-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Next few days will be interesting to see if Dorothy Sims actually files a NOA in docket or if LKB files a Withdrawal to see if indeed Ms. Sims is "joining" defense team as an attorney of record.

It appears Ms. Sims usually works for plaintiff attorneys in preparing them to cross examine defense witnesses (usually doctors) in insurance and workman comp cases/

Dorothy Sims is a plaintiff attorney in Florida.

http://brainandspine.titololawoffice...in-impairment/

It appears that she typically just advises the attorneys of record, but does not conduct the cross examinations herself...

Dorothy Clay Sims limits her practice to cross-examining physicians in personal injury, family, and criminal cases throughout the United States. Her practice includes the preparation of deposition/trial cross materials and questions, and preparation of mediation packages for nationally known personal injury lawyers. She is a Past President of the Marion County Bar Association and past President of the Florida Worker’s Advocate. Ms. Sims is the senior partner in the firm Sims & Stakenborg, P.A., with offices in Gainesville and Ocala, Florida

http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xchg/...s.xsl/5623.htm

Although she has no formal training in medicine or psychology, she has several thousand hours of time invested in learning how some defense-oriented medical experts (DMEs) manipulate the data.

Dorothy is also retained by lawyers to go to their offices and provide private seminars on issues involving:

1. Cross-examination of medical and vocational experts.

2. How to research DMEs and what to do with the research.

3. How to research medical causation and disability issues; how to store the research; and how to interpret the articles.

4. How to read DME reports and identify what was misrepresented or omitted; how to recognize patterns of deceit.

5. How to conduct research instantly, in the middle of cross-examination.

6. How to reduce overhead and use technology and the internet to maximize benefits to clients and reduce costs and workload for attorneys.

Lawyers have requested that Dorothy bring her lead paralegal to teach other paralegals how to perform background searches on doctors and analyze the information for the attorney, as well as how and where to store it; how to download software; and how to and arrange for depositions by video-phone.

Ms. Sims volunteers in pro bono cases in civil and criminal matters.

http://www.jamespublishing.com/bios/expbio.htm

Article Published by Dorothy Sims on Cross Examination...interesting read...

http://www.doereport.com/article_crossexamining.php

So I think her role is not going to be to actually become defense attorney on record but is participating in the role of "skooling" Baez and Mason on cross examining the State Witness Experts.

Only problem I foresee with that is that previous behavior has shown that baez does NOT "play well with others", especially if they are making suggestions as to what he NEEDS to do...

Wonder how long until she realizes that associating with this defense team has potential to kill her career? :waitasec:

Steely Dan 08-27-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentjbkent (Post 5558385)
Next few days will be interesting to see if Dorothy Sims actually files a NOA in docket or if LKB files a Withdrawal to see if indeed Ms. Sims is "joining" defense team as an attorney of record.

It appears Ms. Sims usually works for plaintiff attorneys in preparing them to cross examine defense witnesses (usually doctors) in insurance and workman comp cases/

Dorothy Sims is a plaintiff attorney in Florida.

http://brainandspine.titololawoffice...in-impairment/

It appears that she typically just advises the attorneys of record, but does not conduct the cross examinations herself...

Dorothy Clay Sims limits her practice to cross-examining physicians in personal injury, family, and criminal cases throughout the United States. Her practice includes the preparation of deposition/trial cross materials and questions, and preparation of mediation packages for nationally known personal injury lawyers. She is a Past President of the Marion County Bar Association and past President of the Florida Worker’s Advocate. Ms. Sims is the senior partner in the firm Sims & Stakenborg, P.A., with offices in Gainesville and Ocala, Florida

http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xchg/...s.xsl/5623.htm

Although she has no formal training in medicine or psychology, she has several thousand hours of time invested in learning how some defense-oriented medical experts (DMEs) manipulate the data.

Dorothy is also retained by lawyers to go to their offices and provide private seminars on issues involving:

1. Cross-examination of medical and vocational experts.

2. How to research DMEs and what to do with the research.

3. How to research medical causation and disability issues; how to store the research; and how to interpret the articles.

4. How to read DME reports and identify what was misrepresented or omitted; how to recognize patterns of deceit.

5. How to conduct research instantly, in the middle of cross-examination.

6. How to reduce overhead and use technology and the internet to maximize benefits to clients and reduce costs and workload for attorneys.

Lawyers have requested that Dorothy bring her lead paralegal to teach other paralegals how to perform background searches on doctors and analyze the information for the attorney, as well as how and where to store it; how to download software; and how to and arrange for depositions by video-phone.

Ms. Sims volunteers in pro bono cases in civil and criminal matters.

http://www.jamespublishing.com/bios/expbio.htm

Article Published by Dorothy Sims on Cross Examination...interesting read...

http://www.doereport.com/article_crossexamining.php

So I think her role is not going to be to actually become defense attorney on record but is participating in the role of "skooling" Baez and Mason on cross examining the State Witness Experts.

Only problem I foresee with that is that previous behavior has shown that baez does NOT "play well with others", especially if they are making suggestions as to what he NEEDS to do...

Wonder how long until she realizes that associating with this defense team has potential to kill her career? :waitasec:

Color by me.

I read about her and she seems like a decent person. Why she's interested in helping KC is curious. :waitasec: Especially if she's doing it pro bono. :waitasec: