NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I got the word on this from Naegle.

"The way my aunt explained it was they all have an account with the same bank and they're linked so that they all can look at each other's bank accounts and move money around ect. Steven also has a private account that his parents don't see and he used most frequently. Yes, of course we've gone through that account as well and there weren't any vegas charges."

Thanks for clarifying it. Still is bizarre, to me anyway.

Thanks for clarifying it. Still is bizarre, to me anyway.

It sounds to me like a family "emergency account" where they can help each other out.
After all, Steven had his own account, made his own car payments (no cosigner), etc....so I'm sure everyone else had one, too.

We have **something** like that: a credit card account with four cards (our daughter, her husband, my husband and I each have a card). It's used for unexpected things. Like if we're out of town on an RV trip, and our house has a plumbing issue, our daughter doesn't have to pay for it herself. Or, if we want to treat them to a vacation, we'll tell them to just put it on the card. It's not for day-to-day life, and no one's supporting anyone else with it.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - SL Tribune Article with Steven P. and Susan website created by Josh

I googled Steven's name and everything that came up had Susan's name as well . Then I read this post. Can things become even more ridiculous? Good grief .

(Scary witch voice) It's WORKINNNNNGGGGGG....and people are starting to link things. Just what JP wants people to think about SP.
You don't have to post facts. Just create some suspicion. I don't have to remind anyone how that's worked in those hoax emails the past few years.

Maybe we need to just talk like SP and JP, and not whole names?

The whole "group bank account" thing to me is just weird. What adult wants their parents to know how much money they have, whether it's $1 or $1,000,000.00. I would have moved away from my parents too. I wonder if Steven's siblings are also part of this group account or they just felt that they needed to help Steven more. Based on what we just learned from gsmith I don't think Steven is devious enough or capable enough to pull off a disappearance. Before gsmith's comments I always pictured him as maybe being a little aloof, but now I picture him as being a little "off".

The whole "group bank account" thing to me is just weird. What adult wants their parents to know how much money they have, whether it's $1 or $1,000,000.00. I would have moved away from my parents too. I wonder if Steven's siblings are also part of this group account or they just felt that they needed to help Steven more. Based on what we just learned from gsmith I don't think Steven is devious enough or capable enough to pull off a disappearance. Before gsmith's comments I always pictured him as maybe being a little aloof, but now I picture him as being a little "off".

Well...we all are in one way or another ;) but I'm thinking that a strong case could have been made for "endangered missing".

gsmith - welcome and thank you for coming with information that
might help in finding Steven.

The sudden pause of up to 20 seconds as described by gsmith may be an indication of an issue with the way the brain is wired. I wonder if Steven ever had a noticeable seizure or whether he
has had these pauses in speech or activity in the past. It may not have been diagnosed.

Webmd.com talks about two types below. I just want to be careful not to label anyone with anything based on what we know at this time. Perhaps KCN has more information.

I don't think he was experimenting with drugs. My thought is that he was seen by someone
regarding feeling uneasy or anxious and was prescribed a medication.

From webmd:
Absence seizures cause a short loss of consciousness (just a few seconds) with few or no symptoms. The patient, most often a child, typically interrupts an activity and stares blankly. These seizures begin and end abruptly and may occur several times a day. Patients are usually not aware that they are having a seizure, except that they may be aware of "losing time."

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms

Complex partial seizures, by definition, include impairment of awareness. Patients seem to be "out of touch," "out of it," or "staring into space" during these seizures. There may also be some "complex" symptoms called automatisms. Automatisms consist of involuntary but coordinated movements that tend to be purposeless and repetitive. Common automatisms include lip smacking, chewing, fidgeting, and walking.

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms?page=2

gsmith - welcome and thank you for coming with information that
might help in finding Steven.

The sudden pause of up to 20 seconds as described by gsmith may be an indication of an issue with the way the brain is wired. I wonder if Steven ever had a noticeable seizure or whether he
has had these pauses in speech or activity in the past. It may not have been diagnosed.

Webmd.com talks about two types below. I just want to be careful not to label anyone with anything based on what we know at this time. Perhaps KCN has more information.

I don't think he was experimenting with drugs. My thought is that he was seen by someone
regarding feeling uneasy or anxious and was prescribed a medication.

From webmd:
Absence seizures cause a short loss of consciousness (just a few seconds) with few or no symptoms. The patient, most often a child, typically interrupts an activity and stares blankly. These seizures begin and end abruptly and may occur several times a day. Patients are usually not aware that they are having a seizure, except that they may be aware of "losing time."

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms

Complex partial seizures, by definition, include impairment of awareness. Patients seem to be "out of touch," "out of it," or "staring into space" during these seizures. There may also be some "complex" symptoms called automatisms. Automatisms consist of involuntary but coordinated movements that tend to be purposeless and repetitive. Common automatisms include lip smacking, chewing, fidgeting, and walking.

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/types-of-seizures-their-symptoms?page=2

KCN's described Steven as "maybe a bit ADD" but never diagnosed with a condition.

Obviously we're not diagnosing Steven BUT I'm familiar with mild seizure disorders. A coworker and a niece of my husband each had very mild seizures....staring into space, glassy eyes. We don't know if either had automatisms; we never noticed any but weren't with them 24/7. We used to kid that they were odd people. Smart, but somehow slow sometimes.

OK...there's a REASON I mention this: EACH was diagnosed with an inherited brain disorder, and had minimally-invasive surgery to untangle blood vessels in the brain. One is on mild anti-seizure medicine, and the other (over 30 years later) is just fine. It turned their lives around.

I think all of the things that we simply cannot understand can be traced back to the high probablility that Steven Koecher was quite different from most people.Whatever the cause, be it a form of autism, a seizure disorder, or something else, I believe it made his thinking patterns distorted. Hard for the average person to follow. I also think that this "difference" is what lead to Steven's disappearance. Impaired judgement regarding other people and their motives. A lack of ability to function well without a lot of structure, a lack of ability to look for and follow through with finding work, a lack of ability to budget simple money matters. I would think his isolation, and seeming fear of being in that house,ultimately led him someplace where he was harmed. JMO

Naegle's going through her emails, and finding some of our older questions:

Q: Was there anything found that would indicate Steven was starting his own business?

A: There was no evidence of Steven starting his own business. No flyers, notes, bills, I9 stuff... The flyer's in his car belonged to Travis's business.

I would think his isolation, and seeming fear of being in that house, ultimately led him someplace where he was harmed. JMO

I kinda wonder the same thing.

All seemed relatively OK, until there were some (minor) confrontations.

The landlord was calling, and then his Dad found out he was so far behind on the rent.

Is it possible that, at some point, the locks had been changed on the house?
Maybe after he comes home from ward temple night -- so he has to figure out somewhere to go.

Laytonian,
Change of locks ? It's an excellent idea. But didn't his parents go over there at some point, after he vanished ? ? I'm thinking the landlord would have told them he changed the locks ? Also, I wonder if Steven's parents co signed on any kind of lease he had there ?

As much as I hope that we can find Steven safely.....If I had rental property and the tenant was not paying, I promise you he would have had a notice of eviction and after that the locks would have been changed. I would not have called his parents (unless they signed the lease) as SK is 30 years old.

Depending on the laws in the area, I might also try to attach whatever property would help pay the note. If this sounds harsh, how is the landlord supposed to pay each month on the mortgage and all of the utilities while
the tenants are not paying anything.

I bet Dad was shocked when he got the call, and Steven was shocked when he heard from Dad. You just can't have an apartment and a car if you are not earning any money and your bank balance is zero.

It would be nice to know from the landlord, the husband, if he told SK that he was going to evict him and lock the unit. Is that why SK started driving?

Even if he started driving because he was evicted, or was soon going to be, it still brings us back to SCA. There was some reason he went there. Parks his car and then " poof " disappears. If he met with foul play it resulted from someone or something in that neighborhood. However, according to "appalled they are all upstanding citizens. Yea, right.

Laytonian,
Change of locks ? It's an excellent idea. But didn't his parents go over there at some point, after he vanished ? ? I'm thinking the landlord would have told them he changed the locks ? Also, I wonder if Steven's parents co signed on any kind of lease he had there ?

Yes, they were there about a week later. But we don't know if they were let in by the landlord or not.

He was over three months late on his rent....and the landlord reports some kind of plan to get caught up in January. In January, he'd have been four months late.

Landlord was likely testy about it.

iirc didn't a neighbor call the landlord to say they thought Steven was back at the house. The landlord rushed over there to discover it was his parents. Does anyone else remember this ?

As much as I hope that we can find Steven safely.....If I had rental property and the tenant was not paying, I promise you he would have had a notice of eviction and after that the locks would have been changed. I would not have called his parents (unless they signed the lease) as SK is 30 years old.

I'd think they'd have at least been listed as the emergency contact; remember, the landlord said he was calling every day for five days, without Steven responding.

And....I doubt the calls just started on Dec 1st. He'd have been a month late on Oct 1st, two months late on Nov 1st........

Depending on the laws in the area, I might also try to attach whatever property would help pay the note. If this sounds harsh, how is the landlord supposed to pay each month on the mortgage and all of the utilities while the tenants are not paying anything.

...and the utilities were due to be shut off.

The things Steven left behind, make sense for a repo/lockout. The computer, his cellphone charger. Any personal furniture and household items. If you were going away, you'd at least take your computer and your clothes.

The landlord was really left in the lurch; not only Steven's three months rent...but Z having skipped out in mid-November. We know they hadn't rented the other room, a month later when Steven went missing, because Z is the only roomie mentioned.

It would be nice to know from the landlord, the husband, if he told SK that he was going to evict him and lock the unit. Is that why SK started driving?

Yes, it would.

I've sent Naegle questions about this. I actually mentioned it a few weeks ago (and I believe it was a direct question to stillLooking).

The more we learn about Steven, the more I wonder if his reaction to the situation is what set off a sad chain of events.

iirc didn't a neighbor call the landlord to say they thought Steven was back at the house. The landlord rushed over there to discover it was his parents. Does anyone else remember this ?

Yes. That was after Steven had been reported missing and the parents were on their way back from Vegas. They pulled Steven's car into the driveway, IIRC, and his brother (who looks like Steven) got out of it.

There was some reason he went there. Parks his car and then " poof " disappears.

I think gsmith may have given us a clue about that today:

gsmith said:
Once we met at a restaurant and he parked his car down the block. I thought it was so strange. He said he had missed the turn. I couldn't understand why he didn't just make a U turn since the street wasn't that busy.

Maybe it WAS a random parking place. He might have missed a turn, or intended to go somewhere else....then just parked and walked.

If that's the case, he could have walked among that maze of streets for hours.

Thank you, gsmith. You've described what many of us have wondered about, and filled in some gaps for us. I don't think even his parents knew he was "experimenting" with some sort of medication....but after all, he was an adult for the past 12 years and in many ways, very private.

Could you tell us when you worked with Steven at FedEx? We've seen mentions of a construction job on the FB page. All we formally know of, in his work history, is what's on his LinkedIn profile.

Thank you also for explaning the "finding the right girl". Is it at all possible that Steven himself felt pushed away from those relationships?

We worked together on the graveyard shift summer 2005. I changed to the day shift that fall and he did the same around that time also. I think he quit before the end of 2005 but I can't remember.

He was looking for the perfect girl for him. I think his regret was that he passed up on a relationship because she wasn't the prettiest girl. Later he realized it was a mistake to have not pursued her more. I don't know which girl he was referring to though.

He broke up with a gal around the end of 2008 which seemed perfect for him. He told me she had everything he wanted. For some reason he thought it just wasn't right. God was telling him it hasn't right. I encouraged him to just continue the relationship and see what happened. However he decided to end it anyway. His biggest sadness came from that event and the fact he felt he was being left behind. Most of his friends had gotten married and he was single approaching 30.

I remember him mentioning construction. It might have been after his FedEx job but I can't remember.

He was pretty happy till 2008. That year is when he started mentioning these emotional conflicts. He had a good job at salt lake tribune but he wanted to quit for spiritual reasons. He said his coworkers where more worldly than he preferred. It hurt his spirituality for some reason. He knew it would affect him financially but it was worth it for his total well being.

That year seemed to be his lonliest too. Before then he had a regular group of friends but they had all moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners