NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is true they are just 'running through the motions' with the neighborhood DNA and the fliers, it is for the benefit of the case, not the family. The very first thing a defense attorney will say is ...."this was a rush to judgement. They never looked at anyone other than my client"...yada, yada.

Seems to me that by 'going through the motions' the cops satisfy 3 goals:

1) It benefits the case so that a defense cannot claim the "rush to judgement."

2) It benefits the family because they would be assured there really is no other possibility.

3) It allows the cops to leave no stone unturned for an extremely high-profile, brutal and senseless murder.

ok i had said i would not post on here until something was known...but i find it hard to believe that any LE can afford to go about collecting DNA, etc. if they already have a suspect and evidence to match their theory just to satisfy some connected people. No LE agency has the $ to conduct extra investigations that have no bearing on the case. I can see exploring all possibilities, but there is a difference between doing that and asking neighbors for DNA. If male DNA was present on her body, than obviously someone else was involved with her in some way on that day/evening, even if not as a killer. If no male DNA was present on her, they would not have an excuse to be asking for it.
As always, my opinion only, i gather these are super-important people, much more so than you or I, but still...:(

Yes, I agree cluciano63. I for one was definitely leaning towards the sister based on numerous parts of her 'story' not adding up. However, when the cops went door to door asking males for their DNA, I began to wonder if the rumors were true....perhaps she was in fact sexually assaulted.

From today's Raleigh News and Observer

MODIFIED THU, APR 01, 2010 03:22 PM
Education board honors Kathy Taft
ARTICLE
COMMENTS (2)
SHAWN ROCCO - SROCCO@NEWSOBSERVER.COM
Dr. William C. Harrison, chairman of the North Carolina State Board of Education, hands over a box containing some personal effects from former board member Kathy Taft to her son Thomas Taft, and his siblings Jonathan Taft, left, Jessica Gorall and Paige Fuqua. Taft, who was attacked and died last month was remembered Thursday at the board's first meeting since her death.

BY ANNE BLYTHE - STAFF WRITER
RALEIGH -- The state board of education honored the memory of Kathy Taft, the 62-year-old member fatally beaten three weeks ago at a Raleigh home.

At the first meeting since her death, the board adopted a resolution praising the work that Taft did for public education in the state,

Taft's four grown children accepted the award.

Taft died March 9 several days after being found brutally beaten in the Cartier Drive home of John Geil, a Raleigh lawyer with whom she had a relationship.

Police have released few details of the investigation.

Geil was in Florida, family members said, when the attack occurred.

This morning, Taft's children said that police had been tight-lipped with them, too, They said they hoped police would soon catch the person who killed their mother.

"I don't want it to happen to anyone else's mother," said Paige Fuqua, a daughter.

The Taft children said they appreciated the board resolution.

"This was kind of a private world for her," said Thomas F. Taft Jr., her older son. "We knew about it, but to see this connection and hear what all the people thought of her, is really wonderful."

This morning, Taft's children said that police had been tight-lipped with them, too, They said they hoped police would soon catch the person who killed their mother.

"I don't want it to happen to anyone else's mother," said Paige Fuqua, a daughte
r.
==============================================================
Doesn't sound to me like the cops told the kids they suspect their aunt.

TAFT.01.NE.0040110.ASR.highlight.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

If LE told KT's family anything as rumored above, I would think we'd be getting an arrest very soon.

Often family says that LE has been tight-lipped to avoid answering questions from reporters. Claim you know less than they do ...

i had some questions about DNA, how long does it take to get results, and why does it take so long to get results.....i had some questions about types of DNA, for example, does it matter if it is a hair or a swab of skin cells or saliva or other secretions? If anyone saw the news tonight with her family on, KT would have been very proud of her well-spoken son, articulate and at peace, he seemed. A very lovely and loving family....
i am too tired to stay up with my ramblings...goodnight all. bless us all.

"Family members said police were keeping them posted on some details of the investigation, but not all."

"Dina Holton, Taft's sister, was with her on the day and evening before Taft was rushed to WakeMed with critical injuries, according to family members, but they have not said where Holton was or what she was doing in the hours after the sisters ate dinner together March 5 and watched "Paper Moon"

"Early on, they showed a grainy image from a Harris Teeter grocery store surveillance camera to employees at a Domino's Pizza store several doors from the grocery store and just down the hill from the Cartier Drive home.

The man's face was not visible.

"John Stoner, daytime manager of the Domino's at Glenwood Village shopping center, said investigators came by several days after Taft's death March 9 and showed him a picture of a tall, thin man whose face was not visible and asked whether he had seen anyone fitting that description.

"He was carrying some kind of messenger bag," Stoner said. "The detective said he was wearing a backwards baseball cap, but he might have had a hoodie on."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04...nored-as-questions-persist.html#ixzz0jx1gaHui

"Family members said police were keeping them posted on some details of the investigation, but not all."

"Dina Holton, Taft's sister, was with her on the day and evening before Taft was rushed to WakeMed with critical injuries, according to family members, but they have not said where Holton was or what she was doing in the hours after the sisters ate dinner together March 5 and watched "Paper Moon"

"Early on, they showed a grainy image from a Harris Teeter grocery store surveillance camera to employees at a Domino's Pizza store several doors from the grocery store and just down the hill from the Cartier Drive home.

The man's face was not visible.

"John Stoner, daytime manager of the Domino's at Glenwood Village shopping center, said investigators came by several days after Taft's death March 9 and showed him a picture of a tall, thin man whose face was not visible and asked whether he had seen anyone fitting that description.

"He was carrying some kind of messenger bag," Stoner said. "The detective said he was wearing a backwards baseball cap, but he might have had a hoodie on."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04...nored-as-questions-persist.html#ixzz0jx1gaHui

Noway, thanks for explaining your DNA elimination theory. I get it now. Good idea.

This latest article in the N&O (link above) that talks about a photo of a man, only adds to the confusion. If there really was anything to it, why wouldn't LE want the public looking for this person.

Still, it seems like a very calm, unconcerned police investigaton if they are chasing down a random killer who breaks into homes and beats women to death for no reason. Very odd indeed.

It says LE interviewed employees at Fosters where Mr. G and KT were regulars. Looks like LE has looked into every angle. That's good.

Sounds like D's stories don't add up. Then again, the DA needs a motive and some physical evidence she was the killer...short of a confession.
If she lawyered up as ruben suggested, they may never have enough evidence to take to trial w/o a reasonable doubt. At least don't look for a swift arrest, imo. It took the same DA 3 years to finally indict Jason Young, despite a mountain of evidence very early in the investigation.

Another thing going against a swift arrest is the very recent, highly publicized debacle of arresting and convicting an innocent man, Greg Taylor. RPD and Colin Willoughby came across as fools with an obvious 'rush to judgement'.

Sounds like D's stories don't add up. Then again, the DA needs a motive and some physical evidence she was the killer...short of a confession.
If she lawyered up as ruben suggested, they may never have enough evidence to take to trial w/o a reasonable doubt. At least don't look for a swift arrest, imo. It took the same DA 3 years to finally indict Jason Young, despite a mountain of evidence very early in the investigation.

All post by me are IMO and meant only to stimulate conversation and exploring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77