CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Exile, Very Interesting. If you are as you say, why should we believe the things you post about Bob that the daughters posted using different words on another site? He kept to himself and had few visitors or friends, was very cautious with his money, and the barber person was not well thought of. Common opinion has been expressed that the daughters were attacking their father when stating the same as you. Could it be that you are a member of that family or could there have been the ring of truth in the same statements, long since deleted? Some here have quoted some of the deleted IS posts, if you read back. Who do you suspect and why? If the Police never contacted you and you had information for the investigation, why did you not persist in trying to make contact with them? I don't understand why the family shouldn't have hired a private investigator. So many new questions come to mind since you started posting.

My post was not as clear as was intended to be,
tho I hoped the questions of individuals were welcome to opening discussion.

I. M. H. O. (only) for clarification,

1 The seemingly unbiased opinion of someone other than family, might lead me to view expressed opinion of the deleted statements of Bob's daughters in a different light than before.

2 Someone with new information to share can contribute new insight, beyond what has been discussed here or published by media.

3 When cryptic concern is expressed that police failed to contact you, questions were asked to see if there might be a reason this is a real problem, or if they simply relied on shared info from a PI instead. PI input should be a welcomed addition to the investigation.

4 It's been hard to put all the "stock" in just what newspapers reported months ago. Until now, with no new information posted to consider, you are bringing fresh and new info to some of us. For me, it provokes thought and could make THE difference in the long run, I hope.

5 These are supposed to be open places to ponder different theories and angles from the contribution of as many reliable sources as possible.

I. M. H. O.

BTW: Not related to the MO folks

I just talked to Fontelle on the phone. She is holding up considering the circumstances. She is still living in Bob's house as is her right. She and Bob's daughters are still at war. They want her out and she wants her rights as a widow. Also, there is a lot of suspicion about the case. No proof, but the daughters have apparently been uncooperative. There could be several reasons for this. They may just be tired and want to get on with their lives. Or, something worse. Some took lie detector tests, some did not. They are trying to settle his estate and trusts. Hopefully, all of this can go to court and decisions can be made. Until then, no one will be at peace.

There is nothing as ugly imo as adult children fighting over their parents estate. Respectfully, this is just my opinion, but parents do not owe any of their estate to their children. It is the persons who earned it...they are free to do what they wish with it.

This is so sad because whatever happened to Bob all points back to money issues. Foul play or not, it still all points back to the money. And it is very likely a man lost his life over it and what should have been a happy couple for the last years of their lives did not happen.

JMO

:(

There is nothing as ugly imo as adult children fighting over their parents estate.

Respectfully, this is just my opinion, but parents do not owe any of their estate to their children. It is the persons who earned it...they are free to do what they wish with it.

This is so sad because whatever happened to Bob all points back to money issues. Foul play or not, it still all points back to the money. And it is very likely a man lost his life over it and what should have been a happy couple for the last years of their lives did not happen.

JMO

:(

I so agree!!!!

I just talked to Fontelle on the phone. She is holding up considering the circumstances. She is still living in Bob's house as is her right. She and Bob's daughters are still at war. They want her out and she wants her rights as a widow. Also, there is a lot of suspicion about the case. No proof, but the daughters have apparently been uncooperative. There could be several reasons for this. They may just be tired and want to get on with their lives. Or, something worse. Some took lie detector tests, some did not. They are trying to settle his estate and trusts. Hopefully, all of this can go to court and decisions can be made. Until then, no one will be at peace.

WOW!:dance:

Very Interesting new information, not shared here before. An inside view of her story. I thought all the courts decisions were made, as previously posted recently here by somebody.

WOW!:dance:

Very Interesting new information, not shared here before. An inside view of her story. I thought all the courts decisions were made, as previously posted recently here by somebody.

I don't recall seeing anything that indicated the court issues had been settled. Seems to me, something like that could take years.

And Bob is still missing. I'm sure that's an obstacle to everyone fighting for their piece of his pie.

Do you happen to know what kind of relationship Fontelle has with her own children? It's always seemed curious to me that she preferred to stay in CA when, as I understand it, her family is in MO.

I know for me, personally, I would rather be near family and friends during such a trying time. Is anyone with her?

Since we are all about theories, I guess I could give you mine. I would like to tell it as a story in several parts. If the police are not interested, maybe some of you are. This will be all from my point of view. If it is opinion or from another source, I will say so. I can give you the facts only as I see them. If they contradict what you have read or heard somewhere else, I am sorry. This will be what I saw, I heard, and I did. It has nothing to do with Bob's daughters, Fontelle, or anyone else involved in this case, just me. I know you did not know Bob, but, your interest in this case has moved me to where I want to tell what I know and what I am allowed to tell.

For Fairy1:

Fontelle is staying in that house because she can keep it. If she goes back to MO, there could be some legal wrangling by Bob's daughters to take it away from her. She is legally Bob's wife/widow. That is what all the fighting is about. If she leaves, she may lose it all. They are seeking to have Bob declared dead. I do not know how that works in the eyes of the law. So, I can not say how it will turn out.

From what I can tell, she has a great relationship with her children. It was one of her children who was instrumental in her getting back in touch with Bob. I spoke to one of her children regularly as all this happened. I will go into that as I tell my story.

For Fairy1:

Fontelle is staying in that house because she can keep it. If she goes back to MO, there could be some legal wrangling by Bob's daughters to take it away from her. She is legally Bob's wife/widow. That is what all the fighting is about. If she leaves, she may lose it all. They are seeking to have Bob declared dead. I do not know how that works in the eyes of the law. So, I can not say how it will turn out.

From what I can tell, she has a great relationship with her children. It was one of her children who was instrumental in her getting back in touch with Bob. I spoke to one of her children regularly as all this happened. I will go into that as I tell my story.

BBM

Yes - this is one of the facts that nags at me.

Important Dates

05/96 Jeff and Julie move into neighborhood

07/98 We move into the neighborhood

06/99 Jeff and Julie's son moves into a house around the corner in the same neighborhood.

06/02 Bob and Georgia move in.

10/05 Jeff and Julie move out

03/08 Georgia Harrod passes away

Spring 2009 Sassie (their dog) is put to sleep.

05/09 Bob tells me about Fontelle.

05/09 We move out into an apartment until school is out to move to VA.

06/09 Fontelle comes to visit Bob and they get married.

07/19/09 Bob and I have a conversation together to say goodbye.

07/20/09 We leave CA to drive across the country to VA.

07/27/09 Bob disappears

07/29/09 I find out about Bob from a former neighbor. I remember because it was my wife's birthday. We were at a motel in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Some outloud thoughts...... (and I still have to read the full thread. I've skipped around reading)

When did the disagreements with the money start with Bobs daughters? I'd like to believe this happened before Fontelle came into the picture. Technically, we don't have any evidence that Bob shared the details of financial situation with Fontelle before they married do we? From my standpoint, without having fully read the thread this looks like the timing with the marriage and Bobs disappearance is purely coincidence and not a financial motive on Fontelle and/or her families part. I'm not saying it is or is not, I am simply responding to some of the speculation I have read based on the facts available to us.

IIRC, the maid was not normally scheduled to be at the house that day and somone called her that morning to come clean the house. If my memory is correct, seems a little too convenient for a non family member to be the first to find Bob missing, no? Almost sounds like a set up of some kind. While we do know on average it is 7 years to declare someone deceased, how common is that when someone Bobs age goes missing and is it possible a court may declare him deceased long before 7 years due to his current age?

Just some thoughts.....

Bob and I never discussed finances. I figured he had money. He was very tight with it. I suspect he has been extremely frugal all his life. His kids would have to answer to that.

As far as finances and Fontelle, their reuniting and marriage had nothing to do with that. Fontelle had her own life back in MO. Her kids were grown and gone. Her husband had passed away. She was just living her life. I will go into more detail later. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

I am sure Bob called the maid on Monday morning. He was trying to get the house ready for Fontelle to arrive on Wed. He was having everything cleaned, including the carpets. Jeff was over there making some repairs he had been putting off. He wanted everything to be perfect when she got there. This was going to be their home, together.

To Fairy1:

The way they got back together was a very sweet story. You will see when I write about it. It should not nag at you. It is something you could not even make up. It would have to be out of one of those movies of the week. I promise you will like it.

To Fairy1:

The way they got back together was a very sweet story. You will see when I write about it. It should not nag at you. It is something you could not even make up. It would have to be out of one of those movies of the week. I promise you will like it.

I have read their story. It is very sweet and I'm sorry Bob was not able to enjoy his new life with Fontelle. By all accounts, he was very much looking forward to their future together.

I realize Bob's family is suspected and I understand why. Family dynamics are rarely simple and rarely seen, as they truly exist, by outsiders. It was actually the daughter's posts on IS that revealed their somewhat contentious relationship with their father. They weren't attempting to sugarcoat anything.

There are just other facts in this case that lead me to believe there may possibly be something more to consider. I don't want to overlook something important simply because something else is assumed to be the truth. And I hope LE isn't doing that either.

Some outloud thoughts...... (and I still have to read the full thread. I've skipped around reading)

When did the disagreements with the money start with Bobs daughters? I'd like to believe this happened before Fontelle came into the picture. Technically, we don't have any evidence that Bob shared the details of financial situation with Fontelle before they married do we? From my standpoint, without having fully read the thread this looks like the timing with the marriage and Bobs disappearance is purely coincidence and not a financial motive on Fontelle and/or her families part. I'm not saying it is or is not, I am simply responding to some of the speculation I have read based on the facts available to us.

IIRC, the maid was not normally scheduled to be at the house that day and somone called her that morning to come clean the house. If my memory is correct, seems a little too convenient for a non family member to be the first to find Bob missing, no? Almost sounds like a set up of some kind. While we do know on average it is 7 years to declare someone deceased, how common is that when someone Bobs age goes missing and is it possible a court may declare him deceased long before 7 years due to his current age?

Just some thoughts.....

I seem to recall some of what was posted on IS but has since been deleted: Some time after the passing of Bob's wife of 59 years and after being reminded by his lawyer of his obligations as trustee, Bob failed to ever report certain aspects of the mother's estate to her named beneficiaries as required by law. His first wife had passed more than a year before Fontelle came along. He called a meeting in order to meet the requirement, before Fontelle's return. Media reports differed from what I recall.

This is only my best recollection (TIOMBR).

I seem to recall some of what was posted on IS but has since been deleted: Some time after the passing of Bob's wife of 59 years and after being reminded by his lawyer of his obligations as trustee, Bob failed to ever report certain aspects of the mother's estate to her named beneficiaries as required by law. His first wife had passed more than a year before Fontelle came along. He called a meeting in order to meet the requirement, before Fontelle's return. Media reports differed from what I recall.

This is only my best recollection (TIOMBR).

That's something I've always wondered about. As I understand it, their mother had her own will, which is what they were attempting to get from Bob - for a year.

Why didn't they just go to the family attorney?

ShowMe:

I can not help you with that one. I did not know anything about it.

That's something I've always wondered about. As I understand it, their mother had her own will, which is what they were attempting to get from Bob - for a year.

Why didn't they just go to the family attorney?

I believe a family attorney only represents the trustee of record, not the beneficiaries.

I believe a family attorney only represents the trustee of record, not the beneficiaries.

That's what I'm saying - I thought their mother's will was not part of the trust over which Bob was trustee.

I don't understand all that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member