Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone can steal a spouse away from the other spouse. There already has to be something lacking in the relationship for that to happen in the first place, imo.

I think it is much better for the child or children for the prospective step mother or step father to love the children as they would their own.

I find nothing wrong with Rebecca looking at Maxie this way. She had been around him for 2 years. He looks like a warm loving little boy. In the photo with Rebecca and Maxie they seem so comfortable together.

It shows why she killed herself...........imo. She just couldn't get over the death of Maxie. That shows me he meant a lot to her as if he had been her own child.

IMO

I totally understand your post. Yes, everyone close to RN has said how much she loved the children.

But we don't know how the children's mothers (specifically DS) felt about RN's relationship with the children. The LE said RN died "violently" and "bizarre". Am trying to look at all aspects and possibilities in the case. Nothing worst than a scorned women....then to have her son die in the care of her ex's live-in girlfriend. It appears that JS may have been seeing RN before his divorce from DS.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/18/death-of-shacknai-boy-sparks-investigation/

Shacknai and his former wife, Dina, leveled claims and counterclaims of physical violence and verbal abuse against each other when they were divorcing in 2008 and 2009, according to reports from the Paradise Valley Police Department. He also went to police in 2007 about a dispute with her.

In the 2009 conflict, Dina Shacknai said that he elbowed her in the right breast and cursed at her as he tried to drive a car away from the house they had shared.

Jonah Shacknai told police that he did not hit her and that Dina tried to yank his car keys out of the ignition while repeatedly yelling, “You cannot leave me!”

BBM - says a lot

Now her son is gone......

Just throwing different things out.........

BBM, I hear you on this whole post and agree...the one thing I want to bring up is that the dog kennel guy who was on JVM stated that Rebecca inquired about price....would someone considering suicide care about that? And he even made the point of saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "If she was thinking of killing herself, why would she even ask me about price at the point?"

Just throwin' it out there for discussion....

Jumping off your post:

Yes - the dog ???? - leads me to wonder the following:

Whose dog was it? [I know it's been mentioned as a "family dog" but some dogs are most loyal to one person]

Who chose the dog/breed?

Was the dog involved in the boys accident?

If so, did JS threaten to hurt/put down/give away/? the dog as a result?

Did anyone pick up the dog or is it still at the doggie camp?

Who has the dog now?

The firm hired by Shacknai is the best PR firm money can buy, with a client list 13 pages long and the founder considered "the king of spin."

The firm's clients included Michael Jackson, Paris Hilton and Major League Baseball.

An executive at Shacknai's company, Sitrick, said the pharmaceutical CEO hired them to help him as he grieves and takes care of two funerals.

Read more celebrity gossip at: http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2...lice-probe-death-of-rebecca-na/#ixzz1Skp2BXOA

It's nice to know that he is arranging the funeral for RN. What a trajedy for the families.

Originally Posted by SleuthyMama
BBM, I hear you on this whole post and agree...the one thing I want to bring up is that the dog kennel guy who was on JVM stated that Rebecca inquired about price....would someone considering suicide care about that? And he even made the point of saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "If she was thinking of killing herself, why would she even ask me about price at the point?"

I remember the case of the couple who threw thenselves over a bridge (East coast case)rather than have the husband go to prison. The husband complained about the price of the weights and equipment used to weight themselves down. Go figure...

Ok, for those of you claiming that Rebecca stole someone's husband, I think you need to provide some proof and links.

Here are what I think are the facts from many articles and court documents, but correct me if I am wrong:

• Jonah and Dina divorced in 2008 with several allegations back and forth of physical abuse.
  • Rebecca just finalized her divorce last May, 2011, she had been married for 8 years
  • Rebecca and Jonah have been together about 2+ years, so she has seen Jonah's children change a lot and would have probably known Max for nearly half his life
  • Dina lived at the Coronado mansion for a while in a different part of it while Jonah and Rebecca were living there - seems later she got her own home very nearby (thought it was 2 blocks)
  • Rebecca seemed fairly integrated into Jonah's life - I posted a link where she attended his oldest son's Bar Mitzvah with him, hosted by the first wife and her husband about last April and it looks like one of Jonah's older kids was going to school in the Phoenix area - so unless their mom moved there, that kid or kids could have been living with Jonah and Rebecca

Looks like Jonah stole someone elses wife to me. Looks like both Dina and Jonah can be violent.

One of the articles, somewhere on here, said JS made arrangements to pick the dog up.
He called personally and sent someone.

If we knew what conversations Rebecca had with JS/Dina it would help us understand her state of mind. Something we will never know, for sure.
Emotions were surly running high, and noone would be calm.

IMO

My biggest problem with this being suicide is that her knees are drawn up toward her chest. Everything that I can find on hanging shows the legs straight post mortem. It is not my only issue..but it is one biggie.

Kinda strange that jonah thinks he needs a pr guy. OK ....real strange.

I am also perplexed!
What are the reasons of binding one's one hands and legs and being naked?
I just don't understand the thought process here.
Does anyone have links to suicide statistics that show this is common?
Thanks!!

Someone posted links to two articles not so far back and I posted on their post. I'll try to find that. My conclusion is that it is not really common to commit suicide naked, but it happens albeit in many different circumstances and for different motivations many of which do not fit this case. It is not really common to bind one's hands and feet and commit suicide, but it happens. Plus, you need to sort out attempted suicide data from completed suicide data The poster's article said something like ~ 95% of completed suicides have mental illness as I recall. Put all that together and?

Just throwin' it out there for discussion....

This is interesting about asking the price of the board because I was surprised that the dog was not current on its shots considering it seemed a house dog around children and Jonah is…ummm… a dog person from reports.

Maybe it was Rebecca’s dog and she was responsible for the up keep?

Do we know how long they had been in residence at the beach house?

If the dog wasn’t to be trusted [bark, tear things up, jump barriers when left alone] then wouldn’t she have looked into what they would do with the dog if they had reason to be gone even for a full day.

There are several vets on the Island.

http://www.ecoronado.com/page/coronado-island-pet-supplies

There is even a pet sitting service and is that a pet therapist?!

If I was told a kennel couldn’t take my dog because of shots I would have called the vet stating my emergency and dropped off the dog to get the shots and either boarded at the vet or said give the dog shots and I am going to arrange to have the kennel pick up the dog here.

And with more contrasting articles did the kennel guy pick up the dog or did Rebecca drop the dog off on Tuesday sobbing?

Did Rebecca have access to a car?

Maybe not if Jonah had taken the car to the hospital.

I remember the guy who shot Gabby Gifford and planned to shoot himself got change from inside the store for the taxi driver instead of leaving a something like 6 dollar tip.

:twocents:

One possible suicide theory is that Zahau might have hung the noose from the balcony, binding her hands and feet before stepping off a table. A table was one of the items taken from the mansion as evidence.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15119133/waiting-for-answers-in-mansion-deaths-mystery

I have said this from the beginning, one of my first posts on the case. She tied the cord on the balcony and let it hang down. She then stood on the table and jumped off.

I have to agree you have a a very plausible theory.

Like CuriousHousewife I had observed RN invested a great deal of effort in her appearance. Some how I could not reconcile that with the violent staged suicide we have been puzzling over. So sad :sigh:

My biggest problem with this being suicide is that her knees are drawn up toward her chest. Everything that I can find on hanging shows the legs straight post mortem. It is not my only issue..but it is one biggie.

Kinda strange that jonah thinks he needs a pr guy. OK ....real strange.

BBM
That's the first thing I thought of when I read it. Why a PR firm?? My hinky meter is really getting up there!

Originally Posted by indicajane View Post
While this entire situation is very odd, in regards to naked suicide...it is not as unusual as it may be thought of.
i found this really neat article from a journal in regards to it. Its a worthy read:
http://http://www.jaapl.org/cgi/content/full/36/2/240

also another article from Salon:
http://http://www.salon.com/health/s...11/19/suicide/

Fascinating reading - the first article (the second I couldn't really generalize anything from). Having said that, I think it's very problematic to say it's 'common' since the research is not only elusive by nature, but also because any suicide would have to be put in perspective of other statistics.

For instance, from the article (not all direct quotes) ...

Quote:
~ 95 percent of completed suicides are associated with mental illness. I suppose it depends on what you are terming mentally ill, but does this fit with what is known about Rebecca?

"The disposition of clothing found at the site of a naked suicide attempt or completion can yield valuable clues to the individual's mental state. Clothes that are neatly arranged point to a planned suicide. Clothes strewn about raise the question of impulsivity or mental disorganization secondary to a severe psychiatric condition, substance abuse, or sexual homicide." In this case, we don't know those circumstances yet.

suicide in a tub or shower is probably incidental, since people take their clothes off anyway (she was obviously not in the tub/shower)

~ five to eight percent completed suicide while naked in litigation cases, but percentage of all suicides completed naked is unknown (so this is 5-8 percent of the percent of people who do actually commit suicide - that has to be compared to how common suicide really is, esp competed suicides)

the authors talk about different types of suicide, but some of them do not pertain to Rebecca or seem very likely, e.g., autoerotic asphyxiation, other sexual intent - I'm not sure they know how many of these are actually intentional, accidental, or staged either - having an underlying fantasy about death and rebirth

"In the author's clinical experience, deliberate self-harm behaviors are usually not inflicted while naked. "
How common is it that someone both commits suicide naked and with their hands bound?

How common is it that someone hangs themselves by hurling over or jumping off a balcony, bridge, etc. It just seems committing suicide by hanging is usually done where you stand on a table or or from something in a room where the end result is you have no support for your feet. Or, you commit suicide by jumping off something?

Maybe being common or uncommon doesn't matter.

Here are the posts on "naked suicides", but these statistics don't take into account committing suicide with your hands and/or feet bound and hanging.

I totally understand your post. Yes, everyone close to RN has said how much she loved the children.

But we don't know how the children's mothers (specifically DS) felt about RN's relationship with the children. The LE said RN died "violently" and "bizarre". Am trying to look at all aspects and possibilities in the case. Nothing worst than a scorned women....then to have her son die in the care of her ex's live-in girlfriend. It appears that JS may have been seeing RN before his divorce from DS.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jul/18/death-of-shacknai-boy-sparks-investigation/

Shacknai and his former wife, Dina, leveled claims and counterclaims of physical violence and verbal abuse against each other when they were divorcing in 2008 and 2009, according to reports from the Paradise Valley Police Department. He also went to police in 2007 about a dispute with her.

In the 2009 conflict, Dina Shacknai said that he elbowed her in the right breast and cursed at her as he tried to drive a car away from the house they had shared.

Jonah Shacknai told police that he did not hit her and that Dina tried to yank his car keys out of the ignition while repeatedly yelling, “You cannot leave me!”

BBM - says a lot

Now her son is gone......

Just throwing different things out.........

I do understand Scorekeeper and until we know for sure if Rebecca's death was a suicide or a homicide it is only natural to speculate and wonder.

However Dina and Jonah seemed to have put their past differences behind them. Not all exes carry scorecards around forever. Some actually do become friends after a tumultuous divorce and I really think that to Jonah and Dina ..,Maxie was worth that.

And not all parents are jealous of future spouses or girlfriends/boyfriends either. Some are very pleased and greatly thankful that their ex is with someone who really deeply loves their children too.

So while I have no doubt in the world that Dina is absolutely devastated by her great loss of Maxie I don't think she had any ill will toward Rebecca. If that had been true then Jonah wouldn't have bought this mansion so close to where Dina lived. I think both the people in Dina's home and in Jonah's home tried to make it the happiest places to be for Maxie.

Just my thoughts though.

I think others are right, having a big duh moment. If she committed suicide probably she was standing on the table that was already on the ground.

But if someone else hung her, it seems more likely they did the same thing - kicked the table out from under her or had her in that position and then shortened the rope above.

I think that they hired a PR firm because this case has gone international. I can't imagine all the phone calls.

?? So with this theory and prior to the hanging, was she traipsing around the backyard nude while gathering the noose/binding materials?

Were there any articles of clothing left nearby the scene?

This may have occured during the night, plus it was in an area mostly surrounded by other parts of the house.

Kinda strange that jonah thinks he needs a pr guy. OK ....real strange.[/QUOTE]

BBM
That's the first thing I thought of when I read it. Why a PR firm?? My hinky meter is really getting up there!

I think the Board of his company, would insist on it.
They do not want their stock in free fall, someone reported it had dropped 5% a couple of days ago.

IMO

Ok, for those of you claiming that Rebecca stole someone's husband, I think you need to provide some proof and links.

Here are what I think are the facts from many articles and court documents, but correct me if I am wrong:

• Jonah and Dina divorced in 2008 with several allegations back and forth of physical abuse.
  • Rebecca just finalized her divorce last May, 2011, she had been married for 8 years
  • Rebecca and Jonah have been together about 2+ years, so she has seen Jonah's children change a lot and would have probably known Max for nearly half his life
  • Dina lived at the Coronado mansion for a while in a different part of it while Jonah and Rebecca were living there - seems later she got her own home very nearby (thought it was 2 blocks)
  • Rebecca seemed fairly integrated into Jonah's life - I posted a link where she attended his oldest son's Bar Mitzvah with him, hosted by the first wife and her husband about last April and it looks like one of Jonah's older kids was going to school in the Phoenix area - so unless their mom moved there, that kid or kids could have been living with Jonah and Rebecca

Looks like Jonah stole someone elses wife to me. Looks like both Dina and Jonah can be violent.

Time,

This case is very unusual and LE is not releasing much information; so my imagination runs wild.........

I did post a page or two back about the fights during the divorce....DS told her husband, "you can't leave me"....

From all we know about this case (not much) the individuals are:

Dina
Jonah
Adam

And I think all 3 have been sleuthed.

I should not have used the term "stole" because it's so true; no one can steal another person out of a happy, satisfying relationship.

As the LE has said.....3 options left for the cause of death for RN - undertermined; homicide; or suicide.......

We don't have all the info so it seems we only have homicide and suicide to discuss......

score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member