ARUBA - Robyn Gardner, 35, Maryland woman missing in Aruba, 2 Aug 2011 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was reported it was an AMEX policy.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/travel-insurance/home.do?aetiSource=G&extlink=pa-aeti-G

Clicking on the choices, one has to upgrade to Platinum to get the 1.5 million dollar policy. For two people, that costs $598 instead of $180, which would have been $250,000.

The policy says that if no remains are found after one year, the person is considered dead and the amount will be paid in full to the beneficiary.

Policy (a sample) can be read here:

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress...ument/AETI_Sample_Annual_Base_Certificate.pdf

BBM

The person who was posting yesterday on The Help Find RC-G said GVG used his AMEX Platinum. Now all those posts are gone!! He was the one talking about RG, GVG and RG's ex husband as being swingers. He even called RF out for something he did. He said quite a bit over there.

Now if that guy didn't know what he was talking about (Amex Plat.) was that just a lucky guess??:waitasec:

HS since you copied it can you tell me if my memory is correct? Thanks.

BBM

The person who was posting yesterday on The Help Find RC-G said GVG used his AMEX Platinum. Now all those posts are gone!! He was the one talking about RG, GVG and RG's ex husband as being swingers. He even called RF out for something he did. He said quite a bit over there.

Now if that guy didn't know what he was talking about (Amex Plat.) was that just a lucky guess??:waitasec:

HS since you copied it can you tell me if my memory is correct? Thanks.

The posts that I was able to capture did not mention Amex.

CNN is now reporting on the insurance policy. Here's a quote from the article:

Giordano himself told authorities about the travel insurance, Stein said, and the FBI brought copies of the policy to Aruba this week. Investigators were still going through the documents, and Stein could not confirm the amount of the coverage or who the beneficiary was.

Local reports -- citing sources close to the investigation -- have said that a bloody hand print was found on stones behind the Nanki Country Club, at the same spot where the pair was said to be snorkeling.

"The blood discovery is interesting," Stein said, but he did not confirm or deny the details in the local reports. He gave the same response when asked about reports that an unused condom was also found at the location.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/08/17/aruba.missing.woman/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

So they have the policy.

After going through the steps myself to secure AMEX travel insurance just now, I am very suspicious of premeditation at this point, provided what has been said about GG's policy is accurate. You have to upgrade to get that 1.5 million. It's an extra $418 to get the Platinum instead of Basic, and why would one do that?

Using that AMEX website, the calculator shows the AD&D part of the policy for two people in their age groups as $22 for basic and $70 for platinum. The difference is $48, not $418.

I would guess that a combined policy for two people traveling together is cheaper than two individual policies, and they would have included other coverage, such as medical and loss of luggage, etc. If he went for platinum coverage for himself she would automatically be included in that since it would be a policy for the both of them. Nothing sinister in that. Generally people get those sorts of policies not to protect them if they die, but to protect them if they suffer from a catastrophic accident that cripples them in some way. If he had purchased a combined policy for both of them, then the beneficiary would presumably be him by default.

The posts that I was able to capture did not mention Amex.

I found it ...

Someone says:

Does anyone know if he had a lot of money on him when he was arrested? that could help a lot..or anything else he had on him for that matter.

and the person I was talking about says:

American Express. Platinum.

It can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Robyn-Gardner/268063119876935?ref=ts

Yesterday at 7:08am

:waitasec:

If they have the policy then maybe they do know but for whatever reason they don't want it released yet.

It's too hard to believe that it would take that long to look at the line that says beneficiary and see whose name is on it or the face value of the policy. They're not that complicated. Someone in the police dept slipped up and leaked it to the media?

Using that AMEX website, the calculator shows the AD&D part of the policy for two people in their age groups as $22 for basic and $70 for platinum. The difference is $48, not $418.

I would guess that a combined policy for two people traveling together is cheaper than two individual policies, and they would have included other coverage, such as medical and loss of luggage, etc. If he went for platinum coverage for himself she would automatically be included in that since it would be a policy for the both of them. Nothing sinister in that. Generally people get those sorts of policies not to protect them if they die, but to protect them if they suffer from a catastrophic accident that cripples them in some way. If he had purchased a combined policy for both of them, then the beneficiary would presumably be him by default.

He bought the annual plan.

Why would a person who owns a house worth over a Million and if he did make over 88k a year attempt to steal from a target store? I mean really if he made that much a dvd or play station game are pennies to him.

By the way, Robyn was pursuing getting on a reality TV program last year in Feb 2010.

One good thing is that an insurance carrier can deny benefits if they believe the beneficiary contributed to the death of the insured even if the individual is not proven to be guilty of the crime.

(Have worked in the insurance industry for 20 years)

FWIW, this from MSM:

Missing in Aruba: Suspect Took Out $1.5 Million Insurance Policy

Authorities in Aruba are investigating an insurance policy taken out by Gary Giordano before his trip to Aruba as a possible motive in the disappearance of missing Maryland woman Robyn Gardner.

The investigation into the $1.5 million accidental death policy on Gardner -- which names Giordano as a beneficiary -- has been confirmed exclusively with ABC News by a police source in Aruba, as has the fact that he purchased the pricier one-year policy over the cheaper, more commonly purchased five-year policy.

more at http://abcnews.go.com/International/missing-aruba-suspect-15-million-insurance-policy/story?id=14321496

So lets hope they are able to find evidence and try him otherwise he will become 1.5 million richer.

Or Should we consider that Robyn is faking her own disapearance. Given his past I have to say no to that ,but I suppose one never knows. If that is the case they had 2 and a half hours to get her somewhere and then him back Aruba.

Did GG not consider the fact he would be suspected in her death ,if a body was not located? Does he have alot of LE side stepping skills where he assumed it wouldnt be a problem?

it has a picture of GG's house on that site

Hopefully it will be up for auction soon.

One good thing is that an insurance carrier can deny benefits if they believe the beneficiary contributed to the death of the insured even if the individual is not proven to be guilty of the crime.

(Have worked in the insurance industry for 20 years)

Is there a specific protocal for that?

I would assume one had recoil in court for that ,and the insurance company would have to present a case based on more than the ''belief ".

After a person is not quilty in court they are not guilty by law ,so I dont understand what grounds the insurance company would have (never having worked in insurance or law) Just wondering.. Although I am glad they can protect themselfs in this way. Hopefully GG wont get any money at all.

Hopefully it will be up for auction soon.

My guess is he doesn't have much equity in it....

If they have the policy then maybe they do know but for whatever reason they don't want it released yet.

It's too hard to believe that it would take that long to look at the line that says beneficiary and see whose name is on it or the face value of the policy. They're not that complicated. Someone in the police dept slipped up and leaked it to the media?

It's possible it was a click-thru or something, a web-based form or something, and that the actual "policy" is not a signatory document. In which case they may have a bit of work to do piecing things together -- including matching up IP addresses, checking time-stamps, etc. My guess is it's some of that, and some of the normal need for investigators to keep some things a little close during an investigation.

I'd like to hear what they are doing re the bloody handprint. That will be the clincher if the DNA matches RG.

My guess is he doesn't have much equity in it....

It's possible it was a click-thru or something, a web-based form or something, and that the actual "policy" is not a signatory document. In which case they may have a bit of work to do piecing things together -- including matching up IP addresses, checking time-stamps, etc. My guess is it's some of that, and some of the normal need for investigators to keep some things a little close during an investigation.

I'd like to hear what they are doing re the bloody handprint. That will be the clincher if the DNA matches RG.

In a post on the previous page it says that the FBI brought the policy to Aruba, if that's true, then they have a hard copy, perhaps they pulled it off of his computer? Wouldn't the beneficiary, policy value, whether or not there was coverage for accidental death be on it?

I have never been to Aruba either, but since you are familiar with a sister island, please comment on the ease of disposing of a body. Please forgive me if this has already been discussed upthread. It there is so much rock, and coral, how could you easily dig a grave and where would get the tools? I've heard various stories about whether release in the sea would work well. We know Natalie's body went somewhere, which is still a mystery, and now this poor girl. I don't understand it.

There are a lot of those abandoned mine shafts, caves scattered all over the island. It looked like from the media coverage quite a few of the mine shafts were in the direct area where they were supposedly last seen. Some place like that would be my first guess, before the water.

In a post upthread it says that the FBI brought the policy to Aruba, if that's true, then they have a hard copy, perhaps they pulled it off of his computer? Wouldn't the beneficiary, policy value, whether or not there was coverage for accidental death be on it?

I think you're referring to my post, which quoted CNN to that effect. But as I said, if it was purchased online (or even by phone), there could be a need to match up certain additional information in order to ensure the evidentiary efficacy of the written policy form. For example, if it was done online, they may have to get the hit logs of the website where it was purchased, which may mean an AmEx server or may mean a third party server. Then locate the correct log file. Check the IP address. Then go to the ISP to verify the owner of that IP address. Then probably also verify it again at GG's home. Or possibly it was done from his business location (a second set of checks and verifications). Or even from a local Starbucks, which then kicks in a bunch more checks. This is all just to make sure who purchased the policy, when, from where etc.

I have no idea, of course, I'm just speculating. But if they have the policy (possibly just a form) but are still saying they are not clear on certain specifics, I'm thinking these kinds of checks are what they are doing. That and questioning him.

By the way, Robyn was pursuing getting on a reality TV program last year in Feb 2010.

What kind of reality program?

Also what about that other social site you found her profile on ... are you waiting on a Mod to ok it before posting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justiceskrs