MI MI - Jessica Heeringa, 25, Norton Shores, 26 April 2013 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks at Jalopnik think that the police might be chasing the wrong model of mini-van:

http://jalopnik.com/theres-a-new-surveillance-shot-of-the-minivan-that-abdu-486460130

if they are correct, tracking down Chrysler Pacificas would be a much easier task.
The Pacifica was a relatively short-lived (2004-2008) model that was basically a "benzified" Town and Country.

The Town and Country has been around since the late '80's, and it's sold a lot more than the Pacifica--both overall (obviously) but also per year when the Pacifica was in production.

I trust Michigan people to identify American made vehicles.

Folks at Jalopnik think that the police might be chasing the wrong model of mini-van:

http://jalopnik.com/theres-a-new-surveillance-shot-of-the-minivan-that-abdu-486460130

if they are correct, tracking down Chrysler Pacificas would be a much easier task.
The Pacifica was a relatively short-lived (2004-2008) model that was basically a "benzified" Town and Country.

The Town and Country has been around since the late '80's, and it's sold a lot more than the Pacifica--both overall (obviously) but also per year when the Pacifica was in production.

I also wonder about the sketch, and attempting to match it to RSOs. Since there are so many grey minivans around, perhaps the man who one witness described as 'acting weird' was simply a creeper customer, and the van seen later was unrelated? Perhaps the van seen later wasn't involved in this at all, but was a customer who also came to get gas but couldn't find anyone in the store? Maybe they decided to drive around the building for that reason... maybe to see if anyone was back there or to see if it was still open?

I'm starting to get the feeling that whomever did this will be completely off the radar. Perhaps they're from further away in the state or they weren't a previous offender (at least, perhaps they haven't been caught)... or maybe they've only been caught in another state.

All JMO. I'm just thinking about a few other cases where a sketch started floating around and there were remarkable matches amongst RSOs in the area who ended up having nothing to do with the case at all, etc.

I am a little behind... But am jumping in to...

1.). wish all the best to all mommies- to-be... And those wishing to be... :baby: :baby: :baby:

2.). You are all terrific Sleuthers... And I am proud to be on board with all of you!

:seeya:

I also wonder about the sketch, and attempting to match it to RSOs. Since there are so many grey minivans around, perhaps the man who one witness described as 'acting weird' was simply a creeper customer, and the van seen later was unrelated? Perhaps the van seen later wasn't involved in this at all, but was a customer who also came to get gas but couldn't find anyone in the store? Maybe they decided to drive around the building for that reason... maybe to see if anyone was back there or to see if it was still open?

I'm starting to get the feeling that whomever did this will be completely off the radar. Perhaps they're from further away in the state or they weren't a previous offender (at least, perhaps they haven't been caught)... or maybe they've only been caught in another state.

All JMO. I'm just thinking about a few other cases where a sketch started floating around and there were remarkable matches amongst RSOs in the area who ended up having nothing to do with the case at all, etc.
That's what I'm starting to think, you'd have to be a moron to abduct someone a mile or two from your home. It is very possible the perp lives far away from the town and is not an RSO.

I would also think the eye witness has reviewed every single RSO in the state of MI by now and if he found the police would already be questioned.

I do think the person responsible is the van driver otherwise he would have come forward on his own by now to clear his name.

Yesterday, I felt like LE had a good idea of who they were looking for, but tonight, I do not feel sure about that at all. Seems like they are going through the routine of clearing area "bad guys", something I had hoped they had already done.

In this post from Thread 1 exsxpx310 mentioned the Deborah Poe case, which I'm reading about for the first time here on Unsolved Mysteries. The circumstances of her disappearance are indeed very similar. Just thought I'd post the link (it's a sad case, serial killer) for anyone interested.

Whoever has done this, will they do it again? Have they done it before? I think its possible that the answer might be yes to both of these questions.

That's what I'm starting to think, you'd have to be a moron to abduct someone a mile or two from your home. It is very possible the perp lives far away from the town and is not an RSO.

I would also think the eye witness has reviewed every single RSO in the state of MI by now and if he found the police would already be questioned.

I do think the person responsible is the van driver otherwise he would have come forward on his own by now to clear his name.

Yeah, that's true about the van... at least the second one. I'm willing to consider that the first sighting an hour or two before is perhaps unrelated, which makes me wonder about the sketch. It's not that I doubt the witness' sincerity or anything like that, it's just that sometimes in the aftermath of something horrible like this I think it can be easy to read more into someone's behavior than is necessarily there. Then again, perhaps what has been reported in the media as this person's 'unusual' behavior isn't the entire story.

I'm thinking to the Mickey Shunick case and BSL... are there any industries in the area that employ traveling workers? Are there any big construction projects happening right now that may employ workers from throughout the state or perhaps inter-state?

I don't know what else to do right now, so I'm going to post some maps of the area for some visuals to stare at:

Typing in Norton Shores on google, this is the first one that comes up (its border is outlined):

data=Ay5GWBeob_WIPLDYoIWcfVXxvZu9XwJ55OX7Ag,jyeDBlaWTd_XGUOJeTLAqjtVyUCsILP5BQON_72kbmRIFvBohF9cuYYC1a1N2yGhBIQ-SyC5j5AWOHHQ_pCOPJpjgnEfDTXWFwtUjPZMcZ0Sd5ccvhcJi9JLgPtjsGYOjSIBm_aCjOG6PmxSg2uuzgWwlUXC7IwVJ-H20jfxYBpev_h-BGGPc-swKz8Q

I came to WS almost one year ago because of Mickey Shunick. I don't allow myself to get too caught up in many crimes because there are simply too many. Jessica was abducted about a mile from my sister's home, though, so it caught my attention. My niece (another petite, young, blonde) worked at G&L, which is across the street from the Exxon station.

I'm sick that another creep has stolen another living being. Due to the length of time, it doesn't look good. I just can't believe how many predators there are "out there". It seems endless, doesn't it?

About a day or two after the abduction, I saw where Jessica's grandfather said how worried they were but he also said she was scrappy (or something like that) and could "take care of herself". Clearly, she could not, as so many woman have been unable to. Look how hard Mickey fought!

I was really bothered by the gas station owner's comments. Specifically, how he like he to hire cute girls to bring in customers and how having had three grand in drive-offs last year, he couldn't see investing five grand in a camera set up. Granted, cameras would not have prevented this. It was his cavalier attitude (including kicking the press off the property). Cute girls bringing in customers = girls as bait for MEN. Cute girls working all alone, at night, unarmed. Dang, that makes me so mad. Nobody, female or male should work alone, at night, without a gun. I'm 59 and I can remember when I was her age how everyone knew to never take a job like that because of robberies and murders (not abductions). Now this.

I don't know if this had been posted (I'm just having a quick check in before going to work) but on the Find Jessica Heeringa page they've posted that the Exxon/Mobil branded distributors in Michigan and ExxonMobil, are contributing $15,000 to the reward fund.

April 26, 2013 - 9 p.m.
Witness sees van at Exxon
10:51 p.m.
Final transaction
Time unknown
Minivan on surveillance video
11:04 p.m.
Minivan captured on second camera
11:07 p.m.
911 caller arrives at gas station
11:15 p.m.
911 call made
11:16 p.m.
Officer dispatched to gas station
Sunday, April 28
Police declare abduction
Weekend
Person of interest takes polygraph
Monday, April 29
Task force at work, flyers
Monday, April 29
Surveillance video released
Tuesday, April 30
Sketch released
April 30, 6 p.m.
Vigil held
Wednesday, May 1
2nd surveillance video released

The 11:04 mini van caught on second video, where was the camera?
Added: 4300 Grand Haven Road...Coin Zone
Per Google Maps that would be a 4 minute drive from the gas station. So if this van is involved
that means they would have left the gas station about 11pm which would have given him between
10:51 and 11:00 (9 minutes) to abduct Jessica.

I came to WS almost one year ago because of Mickey Shunick. I don't allow myself to get too caught up in many crimes because there are simply too many. Jessica was abducted about a mile from my sister's home, though, so it caught my attention. My niece (another petite, young, blonde) worked at G&L, which is across the street from the Exxon station.

I'm sick that another creep has stolen another living being. Due to the length of time, it doesn't look good. I just can't believe how many predators there are "out there". It seems endless, doesn't it?

About a day or two after the abduction, I saw where Jessica's grandfather said how worried they were but he also said she was scrappy (or something like that) and could "take care of herself". Clearly, she could not, as so many woman have been unable to. Look how hard Mickey fought!

I was really bothered by the gas station owner's comments. Specifically, how he like he to hire cute girls to bring in customers and how having had three grand in drive-offs last year, he couldn't see investing five grand in a camera set up. Granted, cameras would not have prevented this. It was his cavalier attitude (including kicking the press off the property). Cute girls bringing in customers = girls as bait for MEN. Cute girls working all alone, at night, unarmed. Dang, that makes me so mad. Nobody, female or male should work alone, at night, without a gun. I'm 59 and I can remember when I was her age how everyone knew to never take a job like that because of robberies and murders (not abductions). Now this.

Good to see you artis. ALOT about this case makes me think back about Mickey.

Great link, thanks woodtv and Plumeria. I'm reposting the timeline in text format.

Friday April 26
9 p.m.
Witness sees van at Exxon

10:51 p.m.
Final transaction

Time unknown
Minivan on surveillance video

11:04 p.m.
Minivan captured on second camera

11:07 p.m.
911 caller arrives at gas station

11:15 p.m.
911 call made

11:16 p.m.
Officer dispatched to gas station

Sunday, April 28
Police declare abduction

Weekend
Person of interest takes polygraph

Monday, April 29
Task force at work, flyers

Monday, April 29
Surveillance video released

Tuesday, April 30
Sketch released

April 30, 6 p.m.
Vigil held

Wednesday, May 1
2nd surveillance video released

*So, if this timeline is correct, the 20 minute window of the time of the abduction can be narrowed down between 10:51 to 11:04?

Haha Plumeria, I just posted almost the exact same thing you did. Crazy.

The person questioned is from Muskegon Heights.
He was pulled over on Ray Street near the intersection with Sherman avenue.

He is a registered sex offender driving a silver van.

He is also in is in his 60's and does not resemble the sketch at all.
He was let go after interrogation at PD and offsite.
As he left he said he was happy to cooperate in the investigation.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/255029/14/Sex-offender-questioned-in-Heeringa-case

There is video of a detective (he has handcuffs and a gun) getting into the van as if to drive it away.

He appears to put something on the seat and MIGHT be wearing gloves.
Still though... that seems totally against protocol... why not just tow it?

Heard there were 2 RSO's pulled over / questioned today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member