Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions

I don't think for a minute that JA lent TA any money. He probably could have paid the mortgage easily with just the roommates' share of the rent. If anything, the checks were repayment to TA for some of the trips they took.

I wouldn't be surprised in either case. We should find out more on cross.

This may sound stupid and maybe I'm not the norm, but in the year 2008 I was pretty much paying for everything electronically, I think I've written a total of 10 checks since 2008 and that is only because I send money to my son's school or something like that. What on earth did JA have to write 47 checks in 4 months for? That averages 12 checks per month. Even when I was paying all household bills via check the most I would write in any given month was 6 - 7 perhaps.

The amount of checks she went through just strikes me as odd.

MOO

I agree. I guess maybe she was bouncing them...?

I thought there was a receipt for hair color? But the only thing I'm finding is the Neutrogena product at Wal-Mart, and looking at the description "NEUUS85BNS" I would think that would be Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, which is sunscreen. Does anyone know if there is a receipt for hair color?

I thought there was a receipt for hair color? But the only thing I'm finding is the Neutrogena product at Wal-Mart, and looking at the description "NEUUS85BNS" I would think that would be Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, which is sunscreen. Does anyone know if there is a receipt for hair color?

You beat me to the post! Here's what I found [so ... no receipt of which I am aware that includes purchase for hair dye. JMO]:

I've just finished a number of searches and a call to Walmart and I think the "NEUUS85BNS 007050157285" for $9.92 product purchased from Walmart on 6/3 in (631) area code (Monterey, Salinas, etc) was/is sun block and not hair dye.

Walmart said the UPC code was for "Neutrogena lotion 15+ SPF"; I asked: "sun block" - answer: "yes".

Take it for what its worth but, I think the following is an updated version with updated UPC code of the two tubes JA bought:

Search Results ~ UPC : 086800872856

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, Spf 85 - 3 Oz.

Product Details:
UPC : 086800872856
EAN : 0086800872856
SKU : 0107759
Model : J&J205187
Manufacturer : Neutrogena
Publisher : Neutrogena
Release Date : 2010-12-10

Product Description: Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 85 is a revolutionary, dermatologist-tested formula that contains Helioplex technology, the latest breakthrough in UV protection. Helioplex delivers unbeatable UVA protection. It works better to help prevent damaging UVA rays from penetrating deep under skin's surface. Dry-Touch technology absorbs excess sunscreen oils, leaving a clean, lightweight, non-shiny finish. Serious sun protection never felt this light on your skin. This product features Helioplex, a breadth of stabilized sunscreen technologies that delivers superior protection from the sun.

No receipt for hair color that we have seen.

However, regarding the hair color - Jodi testified the other day that she dyed her hair brown on March 20, 2008, before she moved away from Mesa. Ryan Burns, on the other hand, testified that she was blond when he met her for the first time in April 2008 -- and was surprised to see her as a brunette the first week of June.

I find it unusual she was overdrawn in one of her accounts to which she made the $300 deposit (her balance after the deposit was $240 and avail $207 I think). Why wouldn't she have transferred money from one account to another online before going overdrawn? How could she lend TA $699 if she is in the red with her own money?

I don't think for a minute that JA lent TA any money. He probably could have paid the mortgage easily with just the roommates' share of the rent. If anything, the checks were repayment to TA for some of the trips they took.

In today's testimony there was a text message where TA says "I'm trying to save my house." It's likely he was having money problems, regardless of what the checks were for.

A couple of thoughts as to where Jodi could get $800 in cash-
1) Dealing dope- pot's a big cash crop in Siskiyou County.
2) Trimming pot. Good trimmers can make $10-15.00- cash- an hour, under the table.
Much better pay than slinging hash.
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, or if I'm posting in the wrong thread. Nurse. please have pity on me.

I cannot remember the timeline off the top of my head, but it appears from the encoding on the back of the 1/11 & 1/15/08 checks that they were cashed at the issuing bank on the same date, correct? Was Travis in CA with JA during those dates?

In today's testimony there was a text message where TA says "I'm trying to save my house." It's likely he was having money problems, regardless of what the checks were for.

I agree, I don't know if I would say he was definitely "in trouble" but according to the Maricopa County public website, it looks like within 2 years he refinanced his home for almost double. That to me would indicate consolidating debt, maybe?

If you want to check out the history, here is the website and you can search by his first and last name. I always find it outrageous that these documents can be so easily accessed in some counties.

http://recorder.maricopa.gov/recdocdata/

I cannot remember the timeline off the top of my head, but it appears from the encoding on the back of the 1/11 & 1/15/08 checks that they were cashed at the issuing bank on the same date, correct? Was Travis in CA with JA during those dates?

Page 1 has the check images. It's a Calif. Wamu bank, but how do you know it's the same? They were both living in Mesa at the time. Maybe he has a Calif. Wamu bank account.

But as to whether she was loaning money to him, in the cross yesterday it came out that in the text messages of 1/22/08, it appeared that TA was giving money to JA on that day. I don't know what to make of it all.

Page 1 has the check images. It's a Calif. Wamu bank, but how do you know it's the same? They were both living in Mesa at the time. Maybe he has a Calif. Wamu bank account.

But as to whether she was loaning money to him, in the cross yesterday it came out that in the text messages of 1/22/08, it appeared that TA was giving money to JA on that day. I don't know what to make of it all.

Oh, okay, I see what you are saying - after doing a little more research, the numbers printed is the "general" routing number of the bank that cashed the check. So if TA also had a WAMU account, that same routing number would show up. Got it now. And duh on me, the AZ address is right on the check!

I need to work on my sleuthing... :blushing:

So where is the receipt for the case of water from Costco that she supposedly had in her trunk?

You guys are amazing. Great thread. Lots of my questions have already been answered here. Thank you!

Here is a thought for what it is worth: Maybe Jodi wrote $699 check to Travis to pay him back for airfare or whatever but after he deposited it, she was notified she had insufficient funds of around $200 (I think she testified she had a lot of insufficient funds fees, but I am not sure if it was around this time), so on 1/22 she asked him to deposit around $200 into her account to cover the insufficient funds (she then twists this in her testimony saying HE asked HER for $200 which started the supposed "you are selfish" fight) - this is confirmed by the texts about the deposit on 1/22. Then after she gets some paychecks deposited, she writes a check for $220 on 1/30 to pay back the money he deposited to cover her insufficient funds... hopefully Juan can prove the truth about how the money flowed through bank documents that are clear and concise.

She claims she returned the gas can bought at Walmart, yet usually Walmart will make a note on your original receipt to mark which item was returned. Her receipt doesn't show it.

This seems to be a particularly pointless lie. Does she think having 2 cans makes her not guilty while 3 cans makes her guilty? It's bizarre.

Has anyone been able to make out the memo note on ck# 3009 yet?

Defense Exhibit #436 checks she wrote to Travis

24zkwlk.png

airtickets.jpg

Could be mistaken, the image is sketchy. I beleive the memo says air tickets.

Keep in mind I don't know dates or if and when air tickets might be related to the case.

Brought this over form thread #65 as it probably belongs here as it relates to the receipts ...

One thing that's always puzzled me is the car mileage on Arias' trip ...

Maybe I'm crazy, but I get ~300 miles less in total than the mileage used when returning the rental car.

1. Redding CA to Lodi CA - 198 miles
2. Lodi CA to Monterey CA - 158 miles
3. Monterey CA to Salinas CA - 18 miles
4. Salinas CA to Pasadena CA - 304 miles
5. Pasadena CA to Mesa AZ - 387 miles
6. Mesa AZ to West Jordan UT via Hoover Dam & Las Vegas - 714 miles
7. West Jordan UT to Winnemucca NV - 362 miles
8. Winnemucca NV to Sparks NV - 163
9. Sparks NV to Redding CA (long way) - 237 miles

For a grand total of 2541 miles .... when Arias returned the rental car, the mileage driven was 2843 miles ( a difference of almost 300 miles).

If I give her a fudge factor of 50 miles for driving around Monterey, Pasadena, and West Jordan UT, that still leaves about 250 miles unaccounted for.

The only logical place I have her using those extra miles would be the leg between Mesa and West Jordan after the killing ... but that's a lot of extra miles.

Is my math wrong ? Or maybe there was some truth to the story Arias told in the voicemail to Travis late on 6/4/08 that she had driven ~100 miles out of the way and was close to New Mexico ? That would mean she was nowhere near the Hoover Dam.

@ Sustained: Your calculations are correct. There is at least 300 miles unaccounted for and several hours. She was ordering at an In N Out in Sparks, NV at 10:43 AM on 6-6. 26 hours later, she is putting gas in the car in Redding, CA. Then a little less than an hour after that she return the car. She was scheduled to turn it in at 9:30 AM. If she was 3-4 hours away on 6-6, why was she unable to tuen the car in on time? What did she do or where did she go in that missing 26 hours?

Looking at the receipts a couple of things jumped out at me:

1) She ordered two meals 5 minutes apart at In N Out starting at 10:38 AM. 5 minutes isn't a long time from the end of one purchase to the end of the next if you consider that the food had to be prepared, she had to eat it, she had to get back in line, and she had to re-order. One of In N Out's selling points is the freshly cooked hamburgers they serve. When was the last time you ate a hamburger in 5 minutes and did not look like a ravenous dog doing it. 5 minutes is about the right amount of time to finish putting gas in the car and walk across the street to the In N Out. The gas transaction started at 10:34 Am and she had made the first order at 10:38 AM. Most pay at the pumps have you swipe your card prior to filling up, so the time stamp would be at that point.

2) Who uses multiple transactions to fill their car up or fill the car and cans? Most people do it all in one transaction. When did she fill the cans up? None of the transactions seem to support an extra 10-15 gallons of gas being purchased. No where she bought gas was significantly different in price, with the exception of Sparks which was 4.99 a gallon. Everywhere else was within $0.30 of each other. For that savings on 20 gallons, who would want the headache (fumes) of having cans in the car or the worry that they might spill in the rental car?

3) Her times don't add up. She drove from SLC to Sparks (525 miles) in about 6.5 hours. That is an average of 80-81 mph. She drove from Pasadena to Mesa in 7 hours, a trip according to MapQuest that should take almost exactly 6 hours (she would have averaged about 54-55 mph). One would assume that she had traveld from/to Mesa before, so she should not get lost on that portion of the trip. So, that is 1 hour, Pasadena to Mesa, and 26 hours, Sparks to Redding, unaccounted for. Travis was killed between 5-6 PM, 16-17 hours later she shows up in Utah (36 hours later than she lead Burns to believe she would be there. The trip is roughly 11 hours by MapQuest. That is 5-6 hours unaccounted for. She had to sleep at some point, but where did she sleep?

Those are just a few questions from a quick glance at the receipts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back