Access to Casey's Car - Defense Strategy?

can the witnesses answer baez one way and then at trial give a different answer? I have seen that happen on law and order but usually they give the district attorney a diffent answer then what they told them before.

Oh and another thing, they should ask why cindy called 911 and reported the car stolen when she actually had it...they picked it up from the tow yard. Maybe that was the "first" plan, to plant a seed that someone stole the car, hence it was towed and there was a terrible stink in the car. Then they found out from casey that she knew about the smell and was last seen with the car at amscot.

I don't agree. A "what if" is not reasonable doubt. There has to be some evidence or discrepancy in the testimony to support that doubt. It is not reasonable to think that someone stored a dead body, totally unrelated to this case, in the trunk of a car belonging to the mother of a missing child during the time that the car was in the tow yard. There is, as far as we know, no DNA evidence showing that another body was in the trunk.

IF there was testimony showing that one of the workers at the tow yard killed someone and that the body was missing for a certain period of time while Casey's car was in the lot, that might constitute reasonable doubt.

Just playing devil's advocate here, what proves that Casey was THE ONE that put Caylee's dead body in the trunk? Is it just her behavior that makes her guilty? Is behavior enough to convict?

Man, I would be MAD if I had to hire an attorney to go to a deposition. Surely the DA's office will provide counsel for the prosecution witnesses. I can see a lot of holes coming into this case with so many young people as witnesses if they have to all hire private counsel. They might say one thing in deposition and another in open court and subject themselves to perjury or contempt charges. grrrrrrr this just infuriates me!! How can a girl sit there and watch her friends and family suffer through this?

There is clearly one person to blame for this.......and as the detective said "this needs to stop".

Just playing devil's advocate here, what proves that Casey was THE ONE that put Caylee's dead body in the trunk? Is it just her behavior that makes her guilty? Is behavior enough to convict?

Just my thoughts, not based on any legal knowledge whatsoever --

The prosecution doesn't have to PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that Casey put Caylee's body in the trunk, they merely have to present evidence that would lead a reasonable person to believe she is the one who did it.

Some of that evidence (I'm sure there's more):

Casey left the Anthony home with Caylee on the afternoon of June 16th. When she arrived at Tony's apartment a few hours later, Caylee was not with her and was never seen again. There is no evidence that Casey's car was in the possession of any other person during that time or that Casey left Caylee with another person.

Casey would not allow George to look in the trunk of the car for the wheel chucks.

If someone else put the body in the car, who removed it?

Casey's conflicting stories about the cause of the odor in the car show that she had knowledge of the body being in the trunk.

Oh and another thing, they should ask why cindy called 911 and reported the car stolen when she actually had it...they picked it up from the tow yard. Maybe that was the "first" plan, to plant a seed that someone stole the car, hence it was towed and there was a terrible stink in the car. Then they found out from casey that she knew about the smell and was last seen with the car at amscot.

Didn't CA say she needed her daughter arrested for stealing the car? I think she was pizzed that KC did whatever and ended up with the car being towed. She was also mad that KC wasn't letting her see Caylee and was trying to call KCs bluff by calling 911.

Just my thoughts, not based on any legal knowledge whatsoever --

The prosecution doesn't have to PROVE beyond a shadow of a doubt that Casey put Caylee's body in the trunk, they merely have to prevent evidence that would lead a reasonable person to believe she is the one who did it.

Some of that evidence (I'm sure there's more):

Casey left the Anthony home with Caylee on the afternoon of June 16th. When she arrived at Tony's apartment a few hours later, Caylee was not with her and was never seen again. There is no evidence that Casey's car was in the possession of any other person during that time or that Casey left Caylee with another person.

Casey would not allow George to look in the trunk of the car for the wheel chucks.

If someone else put the body in the car, who removed it?

Casey's conflicting stories about the cause of the odor in the car show that she had knowledge of the body being in the trunk.

Yeah, I can buy that. And actually I do. It's the 31 days for reasonable doubt that worries me. Wonder what story the defense will come up with culminating in the fact that Casey didn't have possession of the car for that short period of time.

Is KC's behavior the least credible out of all the characters in this case?

If the answer is YES, there's your answer.

LOL Like to see them say Casey didn't put Caylee in the trunk, shoot she wouldn't let anyone NEAR the trunk!!

Yeah, I can buy that. And actually I do. It's the 31 days for reasonable doubt that worries me. Wonder what story the defense will come up with culminating in the fact that Casey didn't have possession of the car for that short period of time.

There's no reason for worry.

To create reasonable doubt, the defense will have to explain away:

Casey not reporting that Caylee was kidnapped by a phantom babysitter.

Someone putting a random dead body in Casey's car trunk and then removing it again, without Casey's knowledge.

Caylee's DNA found in the trunk and Casey refusing to allow George to look in the trunk.

Casey not packing any of Caylee's clothing or purchasing any baby supplies.

Casey abandoning a perfectly good car simply because it was out of gas.

Casey's total lack of concern about her missing daughter and her refusal to provide truthful information to LE that would lead to finding Caylee.

....it goes on and on. There's just no way the defense can make sense of it all and plant reasonable doubt.

Someone putting a random dead body in Casey's car trunk and then removing it again, without Casey's knowledge.

Caylee's DNA found in the trunk and Casey refusing to allow George to look in the trunk.

Casey's total lack of concern about her missing daughter and her refusal to provide truthful information to LE that would lead to finding Caylee.

....it goes on and on. There's just no way the defense can make sense of it all and plant reasonable doubt.

Yep. WAY too much to explain away.

CA was accusing KC of stealing the car, that's why she told 911 she had a person with her who had committed grand theft auto and money crimes, she also said she had bank or credit card statements showing the theft.

Her (legal) reasoning could have been, the car is registered to her, KC left it at Amscot, didn't have it in Tampa or where ever KC kept saying she was the week the car was towed.

Notice at the time she said this she hadn't given her own or KC's name to the dispatcher. She was still trying to get KC to take her to Caylee. Originally calling LE was a threat she hadn't actually planned on following through on. But KC's behavior and refusal to get Caylee, mixed with the odor in the car forced her hand.

can the witnesses answer baez one way and then at trial give a different answer? I have seen that happen on law and order but usually they give the district attorney a diffent answer then what they told them before.

That is called lying under oath, you swear to tell the truth in a depo the same way you do in a trial.

It makes TV more interesting, but in real life I would hope innocent people would take the oath and perjury charges to heart and not waste the courts time.

I would like to start off my post by simply saying that I totally believe that Casey kill her daughter. HOWEVER, I totally agree with the lawyers on Nancy Grace and somewhat the defence on proving that it was Casey that did the deed. It's a FACT that Caylee is dead but once they get the body and even now they need to prove that it was Casey that killed her. I can see why the defence is going tihs way and saying that several other people had access to the car. The only thing that is going to get them in a road block is the searches of chloroform that was on the computer. The only people that had access to that computer was Casey's family and Casey so they are once again going to kinda have to prove that it was Casey that searched. I still don't think their strageties will do any good because everything right now proves that Casey did it.

Yes.
manner of acting or controlling yourself
the action or reaction of something (as a machine or substance) under specified circumstances; "the behavior of small particles can be studied in experiments"
demeanor: (behavioral attributes) the way a person behaves toward other people
(psychology) the aggregate of the responses or reactions or movements made by an organism in any situation
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4TSHB_enUS282US282&defl=en&q=define:behavior&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

Behavior - The observable effects of an operation or event, including its results.
http://www.answers.com/topic/glossary-of-unified-modeling-language-terms#wp-B

Suspects' behavior aided arrests in heistSuspects' behavior aided arrests in heist, SCOTTSDALE - Two men who were acting nervously caught the attention of Scottsdale police, who later arrested them ...
www.azcentral.com/rsslinks/770531 - 43k

© Knowledge Solutions LLC 1997 / Behavior Evidence: Understanding ...Fifth, it will conclude by discussing investigatively relevant inferences that can be made about potential suspects from behavior evidence as defined in the ...
corpus-delicti.com/rape.html - 90k

Dreamerlin - All this BEFORE trial???

Depending on the circumstances following a depo there may be no reason to proceed to trial. Obviously not in murder trial but depositions are done for all sorts of reasons.

I would not go to a deposition hearing without legal representation. Even though your atty isn't allowed to council you in it, you can ask for a break at anytime. The court reporter and apposing council have to allow you privacy to speak with your atty.

I once had an atty trying to establish that something happened to me while traveling. I thought he must have heard the whole story and didn't realize initially that he really wasn't sure where I was or who I was with, so he began asking if I had relatives in Illinois. Well I didn't, and I hadn't been to Illinois in years but as he frustration grew he finally asked me if "anyone lived in Illinois" wth do you say to that? He was not appreciative when I told him "Yes, I'm sure there are people who live in Illinois!"

Silly man didn't need to play games, had he just asked to begin with what had happened I would have told him. I guess sometimes lawyers forget not everyone is trying to hide something!

I truly hope you are right. I was on a jury for a civil case many years ago that left a bad taste in my mouth as far as "reasonable" is concerned. What went on during deliberation had more to do with who the defendant was rather than testimony IMO. We deliberated for four hours. The last two hours were mine alone trying to argue my point before I finally gave up and caved. The person was found not responsible for the resulting mental and physical disability of a seven y/o boy. I never want to be on a jury again.

CA was accusing KC of stealing the car, that's why she told 911 she had a person with her who had committed grand theft auto and money crimes, she also said she had bank or credit card statements showing the theft.

Her (legal) reasoning could have been, the car is registered to her, KC left it at Amscot, didn't have it in Tampa or where ever KC kept saying she was the week the car was towed.

Notice at the time she said this she hadn't given her own or KC's name to the dispatcher. She was still trying to get KC to take her to Caylee. Originally calling LE was a threat she hadn't actually planned on following through on. But KC's behavior and refusal to get Caylee, mixed with the odor in the car forced her hand.

You are soooo right on this one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back