Deceased/Not Found MO - Renee Pernice, 35, Kansas City, 2 Jan 2009 - *S. Pernice guilty*

I do know that when they went to the house with the search warrant they used an explosive to enter and the attorney had this to say about it.

“They know he is an Iraqi veteran and has a traumatic brain injury, and while, yes, like many Missourians, he owns guns, they could have called us and had us take him into custody,” Baldwin said. “They could have waited until he left to pick up his kids from school.

“They have not charged him with anything, but it seems like they are trying to create a situation for him.”

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/nameSearch.do

Missouri court search does not indicate that Shon was ever arrested or charged with drugs, or weapons or stealing. So, I don't know the acuracy of those statements. It does show several civil suits from banks. It shows the filing for dissolution with Renee 8/26/2005. Interesting it say dissolution w/o children, but seeing the ages of the children, that was obviosly inaccurate. It shows that there was a patenity hearing from GLH on 3/30/1999 and he was ordered to pay support.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/970139.html

Shon Pernice was asleep in the basement when he said that about 9 a.m. Friday Renee told him she was leaving. He assumed she went for a walk or left with friends or family, Baldwin said. Their children had spent the night with neighbors.

Baldwin said Shon Pernice was supposed to leave that day for a two-week National Guard training session.

Shon Pernice told Baldwin he did not know what Renee was wearing when she left but later realized she had taken her wallet and keys. He talked to police Saturday, took the children to relatives and searched the neighborhoods surrounding their home, Baldwin said.

The couple had been married for about a decade and experienced the challenges most couples routinely experience, he said. Renee Pernice had filed for divorce in 2005 but filed for a dismissal in January 2007.

They hit a rough patch after Shon Pernice, who is an Independence firefighter, recently returned home from a tour of duty in Iraq. They discussed a possible separation, but things had gone well during the holidays, and Baldwin said his client assumed everything was fine.

Pretz declined to comment about his daughter’s marriage.

He said family members became concerned Saturday after Renee Pernice’s sister phoned the North Kansas City residence and was told that Renee had been gone for some time. Pretz said he and other family members then went to the North Patrol Division to file a missing person’s report. They also asked police to accompany them to search the couple’s home, which they had keys to, he said.

Although Shon Pernice was not home, family members and police searched through belongings and looked for phone numbers to ask friends where they thought Pernice might have gone, Pretz said.

Shon Pernice showed up later with his attorneys, and they were told to leave, Pretz said.

“We fear something bad has happened. It is unbelievable to feel she walked off and leave her children,” he said.

Don't you find this interesting, that he thought she was with friends or family, yet calls off duty for National gaurd this day, Never reports her misssing, yet the very next day arrives back at his home with attorneys?????

Renee's parents have not been allowed to talk to the children. They have tried to call Shon but he doesn't answer their calls. I just saw an article where Shon's attorney says Shon is trying to reach out to Renee's family. Yeah right. The attorney also says he is cooperating with police and police say he is NOT cooperating.

They are still searching the house and they say it may take 24 to 36 hours to search the house. I sure hope they find something.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/970139.html
Don't you find this interesting, that he thought she was with friends or family, yet calls off duty for National gaurd this day, Never reports her misssing, yet the very next day arrives back at his home with attorneys?????

Yes, very interesting. Very fishy. Also, he took vacation time for work to deal with her disappearance, but sends his kids to school. Why don't they get time off to deal with their mother's disappearance? I can't imagine sending my kids to school when they don't know where one of their parents is.

Just reported on local news: Bomb and arson squad on the way to the home. All investigators came out of the house and instead of cordoning off only the house, now have the entire street cordoned of, and have moved reporters and everyone else back from the house. Investigators only said that they have found something inside the house that concerns them.

Yes, very interesting. Very fishy. Also, he took vacation time for work to deal with her disappearance, but sends his kids to school. Why don't they get time off to deal with their mother's disappearance? I can't imagine sending my kids to school when they don't know where one of their parents is.

I can't imagine the fire cheif or the police department would want Shon working in any official capacity right now. Maybe they "suggested" he take time off so he could avoid being out on involuntary leave until this is settled. Think about it...with so many who have worked with Shon, or who know him, giving first-hand accounts of his impersonating military officers and being obsessed with death, who would want a freaky guy like that responding to their 911 call?

Susan

I can't imagine the fire cheif or the police department would want Shon working in any official capacity right now. Maybe they "suggested" he take time off so he could avoid being out on involuntary leave until this is settled. Think about it...with so many who have worked with Shon, or who know him, giving first-hand accounts of his impersonating military officers and being obsessed with death, who would want a freaky guy like that responding to their 911 call?

Susan

Just reported on local news: Bomb and arson squad on the way to the home. All investigators came out of the house and instead of cordoning off only the house, now have the entire street cordoned of, and have moved reporters and everyone else back from the house. Investigators only said that they have found something inside the house that concerns them.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police said they have found an explosive device at the home of a missing 35-year-old mother of three.

Authorities started searching Renee Pernice's home on Thursday, and the search may continue into Saturday.

Capt. Rich Lockhart said that while officers were searching the home, they found a gun locker that included an explosive device. A bomb and arson unit was called to the house to investigate.

Snipped

Lockhart said police also found evidence that may help them find Pernice. KMBC reported that forensic technicians have been going through the home, and computer equipment was removed.
http://www.kmbc.com/news/18447247/detail.html

Susan

The report that i read stated that they gave him vacation time because he just returned from iraq. Another thing,im not taking up for him by no means at all but he was supposed to leave the day she went missing. There is no time frame when he was supposed to be departing. Reports state that he didnt go because of her being gone although the parts that gets me is why he didnt report her missing,her father did. I do know they interviewed the two boys,i would love to know what they had to say.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Police said they have removed several weapons and a hand grenade from the home of a missing 35-year-old mother of three.
Snipped
A bomb and arson unit was called in and determined the grenade was a dud.

One of the guns removed from the home was an assault weapon, police said.
http://www.kmbc.com/news/18447247/detail.html

It was a grenade that they called the bomb squad for, but was found that the grenade was not active; it was a hollowed-out grenade.

Shon served in Iraq and returned home in June I think. I don't think he was supposed to go back to Iraq. He took a job with the Independence (a suburb of KC) Fire Department when he returned from Iraq. He was also in the Missouri National Guard and it was his weekend to serve in the Missouri National Guard. He was supposed to leave on Friday for that, and it's my understanding that was just a weekend thing and he would have been back Sunday? But he didn't go because she was missing (he says). Then he took vacation from his Fire Department job also because she was missing. I thought he was supposed to do National Guard on the weekend and then be back at the fire department this week. I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

I did hear a reporter comment that the police said they did find something in searching the home that they thought would help them find Renee, but they declined to say what it was. I do know they took computer equipment from the home.

It was a grenade that they called the bomb squad for, but was found that the grenade was not active; it was a hollowed-out grenade.

Shon served in Iraq and returned home in June I think. I don't think he was supposed to go back to Iraq. He took a job with the Independence (a suburb of KC) Fire Department when he returned from Iraq. He was also in the Missouri National Guard and it was his weekend to serve in the Missouri National Guard. He was supposed to leave on Friday for that, and it's my understanding that was just a weekend thing and he would have been back Sunday? But he didn't go because she was missing (he says). Then he took vacation from his Fire Department job also because she was missing. I thought he was supposed to do National Guard on the weekend and then be back at the fire department this week. I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

I did hear a reporter comment that the police said they did find something in searching the home that they thought would help them find Renee, but they declined to say what it was. I do know they took computer equipment from the home.

Thank you,so many reports i have read searching this case. I could have misunderstood or conflicting reports as there as tons about him and this case on the web.

Interesting comments about the case by people who apparently know Renee/Shon http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2009/01/where-is-renee.html?cid=144504488#comment-144504488

Very interesting comments at this link, Luzianne! Plenty of people commenting about Shon's fascination with dead bodies, stealing everything from paychecks to guns and posession of drugs and large amounts of cash, so they say. I found the person's comment who recalled a conversation with Shon on the subject of feeding dead bodies to hogs most interesting!

I'm not on Myspace or Facebook, but I'd bet Shon brags about himself online somewhere. Anyone up for a search?

Susan

I reported one of the first really disturbing remarks made last weekend on "CrimeScene KC" after she disappeared to the tip line as soon as I saw it.

Thankfully I saved the comment:

"The police really need to look very hard at her husband. A victim of severe sexual abuse as a child, he is obsessed with dead people and posses a complete album of picures he has taken of nothing but dead people. Also a complete arsenal of weapons from knifes to sniper weapons. An ex navy seal, border patrol, and then re upped in the army to go to Iraq, loves to kill and is obsessed with killing and the dead and dying. Physcotic behavior, bizzare conversations, driven to kill, criminal mind personality. Highly intelligent. Brags about the number of dead people he has seen and the gory details of it all. Shows off his album of dead people to anyone who will see it and many have been horrified by it."

http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/2009/01/where-is-renee.html

The tip line said that they had not received any reports about the above post when I called, and took down all of the information right away and promised to forward it immediately to LE.

It's good to see they aren't wasting any time trying to get to the real truth behind Renee's disappearance.

I am very hopeful forensic evidence will yield some strong clues about what happened on January 2nd.

I do not think think is going to have a happy ending, even though I hope they find Renee and she's alive and well. Because I know the family, I am not going to post anything else at this time. We follow these cases, but when it's someone you know...it is different.

Say a prayer for Renee, her kids and her family.

I do not think think is going to have a happy ending, even though I hope they find Renee and she's alive and well. Because I know the family, I am not going to post anything else at this time. We follow these cases, but when it's someone you know...it is different.

Say a prayer for Renee, her kids and her family.

We'll definitely keep them and you in our prayers. I know it's hard to post when it's so close to home. It's totally understandable. We'll all just keep hoping for the best for now.

*hugs*

I'm still worried about the kids....
do we know where the kid are?
Are they safe staying in his custody?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members