MA MA - Melanie Melanson, 14, Woburn, 27 Oct 1989

I have been following this case for a while, I also cant believe her killers are still free, I hope they find her body soon.

On 20/20 they said the same thing as the Boston Globe-- they believe they're very close to finding the body but it has been complicated by the fact that LE believes that the body has been moved multiple times by the perpetrators who are believed to live in the area.

I watched the 20/20 episode this past Friday. What stood out with me is that those two boys (Gene Bertini and Jimmy Treska) that were supposed to be the last to see her are still getting into trouble with the law and they are pushing 40 years old. I would hope one of them would actually crack and let LE know where her remains are, if they are guilty...

I hope they find Melanie soon...

I am the same age as Melanie and when I was 14, and I remember going to parties in the woods thinking nothing bad would ever happen...now having kids the age that she was when she disappeared, it's very scary.

On 20/20 they said the same thing as the Boston Globe-- they believe they're very close to finding the body but it has been complicated by the fact that LE believes that the body has been moved multiple times by the perpetrators who are believed to live in the area.

still live in the area? Jesus, that's scary! A good friend of mine has an apartment on Main Street in Woburn, and I am over there all the time. Not to mention that I've lived in the town next to Woburn my entire life! <shudder>

I'd like to know where on Montvale Ave they are looking, if it's close to Woburn Center at all...I know that bus route.

still live in the area? Jesus, that's scary! A good friend of mine has an apartment on Main Street in Woburn, and I am over there all the time. Not to mention that I've lived in the town next to Woburn my entire life! <shudder>

I'd like to know where on Montvale Ave they are looking, if it's close to Woburn Center at all...I know that bus route.

I think I read once it was an area near Stoneham, but I don't think they're being too specific due to the circumstances. It was a wooded area, not directly on the street.

20/20 interviewed one of the two suspects in the case. One lives in Lowell, the other is still in Woburn. Both have extensive police records. It's very disturbing to think that either of them, both of them, or some other party have actually moved the remains around. :furious:

being from massachustetts myself (worcester) it seems like some cops around here need a slide rule to figure this stuf out.

I hear you KBL.

But I will give credit where credit is due and say that sometimes these detectives do go through incredible lengths to solve a case. It's just sad that so many cases seem to slip through the cracks or just can't be moved on due to lack of evidence.

being from massachustetts myself (worcester) it seems like some cops around here need a slide rule to figure this stuf out.

I strongly suspect that this is a case where LE knows exactly what happened and just can't prove it to the degree that would allow a prosecutor to take it to a jury.

Last Person to See Melanie Alive Has Been Arrested On Robbery Charges

Melanie Melanson disappeared without a trace 21-years-ago. Now, one of the last people to see her alive has been arrested and charged with a violent robbery.

37-year-old Eugene Bertini was arrested after allegedly pistol-whipping two teens during a gas station robbery in Wakefield. Police say Bertini stole $300 and a necklace from one of the teens.

Melanie Melanson, who was 14 years old when she disappeared in October 1989.

Bertini was one of the last people to see Melanson and her family says that the robbery shows he has a violent streak They wonder if he has something to do with her disappearance. "I'm hoping if he's found guilty of this, maybe he'll get a little bit of a lesser sentence. Maybe he'll let us know where she is," said her aunt Joanne Lawson.

Snipped from: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news...ssing-girl-alive-arrested-in-robbery-20110426

Private Investigator Says He Has New Leads in Case of Girl Missing Since 1989

Private detective Michael Garrigan has worked on the case since the very beginning, and now is optimistic new leads could finally solve this mystery.

(snip)

Trained cadaver dogs sniffed out the area in hopes of confirming what Garrigan says he has already discovered and tested before: a trace of human decomposition in the woods.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/2...-in-case-girl-missing-since-18/#ixzz1evhGBfek

Here is another link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/26/new-tip-prompts-investigators-to-search-state-park-for-remains-girl-missing/

The anonymous caller directed authorities to search nearby Middlesex Fells Reservation in Stoneham, where he said one of the teens last seen partying with Melanson was spotted later that night, according to the source. The caller identified himself as a former friend of one of those teens.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/2...-park-for-remains-girl-missing/#ixzz21l5lEScB

And the police theorize that she "ran away to Florida".

I wonder why they say this -- was there ever some indication as unlikely as it may sound, that Melanie would [if she were going to run away] go to Florida, as opposed to, say California or anywhere else a young person might run away to? Did they ever explain their rational for this?

I wonder why they say this....Did they ever explain their rational for this?

I knew Melanie's mom (now deceased) & I believe police might have thought Melanie ran away because of her sometimes "troubled" home life. Melanie was living with her grandmother at the time of her disappearance & she is/was a sweet girl. She wore braces & was due to have them removed soon. I don't think she would run away & never contact her family again. I hope this new search brings her family the answers they deserve...23 years is a long time....

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandamom76
Back