CA CA - Tera Smith, 16, Redding, 22 August 1998

http://web.redding.com/specials/Smith/stories/19980828.shtml

August 28, 1998

Tips sought on missing girl

By Anne Hart
Record Searchlight staff reporter

A grass-roots campaign of friends and an official investigation by authorities continue to try to solve the case of a missing teen-ager.

Anything could have happened to Tera Smith.

That's how investigators look at the case of the 16-year-old girl who disappeared Saturday. They explore each possibility.

The Central Valley High School junior may have run away. She is possibly being held against her will. Detectives hope the case of the missing homecoming princess doesn't become a homicide investigation.

Those working to find Tera said they can't help but become personally involved. They want to see Tera back with her parents, Marilyn and Terry Smith, and her three siblings at their home just north of Redding.

"My main focus in life right now is to get this girl back safely," said Shasta County sheriff's Lt. Harry Bishop.

Sheriff's deputies, Redding police and FBI agents are checking out every tip.

Secret Witness of Shasta County increased a reward for Tera's safe return to $20,000 Thursday.

Terry Smith sent his daughter's vital data to various missing persons Web sites.

Information on Tera was also sent to the National Crime Information Center, which feeds the data to other law enforcement agencies.

Friends of the family spent hours at Redding-area shopping centers giving out fliers with Tera's photographs and the description of the 5-foot 7-inch girl with blond hair and blue eyes.

The fliers are also plastered at rest areas along Interstate 5, Highway 97 and even Weaverville, Marilyn Smith said.

"Tera is very well loved," said her mother.

Authorities had Tera's acquaintances take voice stress analyzer tests this week, Bishop said. He said the tests are used as an investigative tool to help eliminate possibilities.

Tera's 29-year-old Redding male acquaintance, who was the last known person to see Tera, has not been asked to take a polygraph or voice stress analyzer test, Bishop said.

Tera called the man Saturday evening at his Redding business and asked him to meet her on a road near her Tarcy Way home off Old Oregon Trail, Bishop said.

The man told detectives he drove Tera to the intersection of Old Alturas Road and Old Oregon Trail and dropped her off at her request about 6:30 p.m.

Tera's parents reported their eldest daughter missing a few hours after she failed to show up at 7 p.m. Saturday to her job at their business, the Oasis Fun Center.

Investigating agencies are devoting numerous staff members and resources to the case because Tera is not a typical missing teen-ager, authorities said.

Tera took none of her belongings with her other than the jogging clothes she wore. She doesn't use drugs, her friends and family say.

Tera spent her time competing in cross country, playing basketball, teaching horse riding lessons and doing activities with her family's Mormon church in Shasta Lake.

Authorities urged anyone with information on the case to call the Sheriff's Department at 245-6025.

"Redding is growing by leaps and bounds, but it becomes a very small community when there's a teen-ager missing like this," Bishop said.

©1998 - 2007 Record Searchlight -Redding.com, The E.W. Scripps Co.

Bump

Today marks 12 years that Tera has been missing. Come home soon.

Come home Tera!!!! Your family misses you!

The face of an angel.

Yes, you are needed at home. Prayers for your family Tera. Come home soon sweet angel.

I admire her family. working so hard to bring her home. Has any UIDs found in the state/ area been looked for for Terra?

What a beautiful girl. And Troy Zink is still walking the streets without having been charged of anything to do with her disappearance....

Why was the last GROWN MAN who had a personal relationship with her never asked to take a polygraph? Especial with his "went up on the mountain to pray" alibi. It was an old article though, does anyone know if he was ever tested?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That's what I'd like to know....doesn't sound like a solid alibi to me one bit

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

This was a useful link, I just finished reading all the articles available on the site. Most of them were written throughout the first few months of Tera's disappearance, until the leads slowed down. Some thoughts on this case:

- Investigators searched the area where Zink said he went to pray after speaking to Tera but they didn't find anything. Someone else said that this area is closed on the weekends so it's unlikely that he went there. However, the lead investigator at the time argued that if someone really wanted to get in, they could have.

- Zink was convicted of a rape charge which I believe was filed by his (ex?)-wife. This shows that he has exhibited violent behavior in the past. If he was seeing Tera romantically and she tried to break it off, there's a good chance he responded in a violent manner.

- In March of 1999, a man witnessed Zink attempting to abandon ten cats. The witness told Zink not to leave and that the authorities were coming to oversee the matter. Zink hit the man with his car. He was later charged with animal abandonment and assault with a deadly weapon. I don't know if he was convicted of these charges. The man that was hit by the car did not require medical treatment. Another example of aggressive behavior.

- Tera's parents are the ones who released some of the journal writings to the media. I think they wanted to illustrate how personal this relationship between Tera and Troy was. They were mostly satisfied with the way the investigation was handled besides for the details of the car. They felt LE waited too long (six weeks) to share that information with the public. I agree with them on this point.

- While Troy Zink never spoke to the media or investigators, his father made a lot of statements during this time. He believes Tera ran away, in a rebellious teenager kind of way. Troy did give an initial statement to authorities and then stopped cooperating immediately after. This alone doesn't mean he is guilty but with everything else known, it does make it suspicious.

- At this point, I think it's more than likely that she is deceased. If Troy was responsible, Tera's remains are most likely within a two hour traveling distance. If she initially ran away on that summer day, then someone else is probably responsible. If this was a voluntary disappearance, she may have been too ashamed to come back home based on all of the media attention. If she is still alive after 17 years, I think she would have made contact by now.

- Hope this case gets solved soon.

Bumping this for Tera.

I don't understand why LE didn't push harder on Troy Zink. He was clearly the only suspect and had the motive to do stuff to her.

I remember seeing a comment on that news story of Tera on Youtube. Someone said that LE didn't interview a friend of hers, Jenny. Jenny apparently saw Tera running away from Troy Zink the day she disappeared. Youtube comments can be taken with a grain of salt, but it does make me wonder just how much of a missed opportunity LE had to get this guy.

Does anyone know what Tera Smiths regular jogging routine was? I'm interested to know how it might relate to the Sherri Papini case.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/aug/22/10-years-without-tera/
10 years without Tera

Questions remain about teen who vanished a decade ago

By Jim Schultz (Contact)
Friday, August 22, 2008
Photo by Jakob Schiller / Record Searchlight
Marilyn and Terry Smith are the parents of Tera Smith, the 16 year-old Central Valley High School student who disappeared in August, 1998 and was never found. Jakob Schiller/Record Searchlight

Tera Smith as she looked about 10 years ago.

Photo courtesy of National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
A time-enhanced photograph shows how Tera Smith might have looked three years ago when she would have been 23.

With the face of an angel, Tera Lynn Smith still continues to haunt north state residents.
It was 10 years ago today that the former Central Valley High School homecoming princess disappeared into the unknown.
Smith, who was 16 when she vanished Aug. 22, 1998, may be gone, but she’s not forgotten.
Still, the memory of her fades just a little bit with each passing year.
There are no formal observances to remember today’s bittersweet anniversary, said her 48-year-old-father, Terry, the owner of the Oasis Fun Center in Shasta Lake.
The family will remember her in their own quiet way, he said.
Smith, who has long ago come to the realization that his beautiful daughter is dead, said the pain of her disappearance remains with him.
But it has dulled with time.
“It’s not nearly as sharp as the first couple of years,” he said.
The frustration, however, has not abated.
Smith, who admits to watching on TV an inordinate number of so-called cold case murder investigations, is still hopeful that the entire story will someday come out.
But he’s not overly optimistic. >¦“It becomes less and less likely with time,” he said.
Shasta County Secret Witness is still offering a reward of up to $20,000 for information leading to locating Tera, and the Virginia-based National Center for Missing and Exploited Children also continues to ask the public for help in finding her.
Tera, who would now be 26, disappeared during the early evening hours after leaving her rural Tarcy Way home dressed to go jogging.
Her then-martial arts instructor, Troy Zink, who is now 39, reportedly told authorities on the night of her disappearance that she had called him at work on her cell phone and asked to meet near her home.
Zink, who has denied any involvement in Tera’s disappearance, told sheriff’s deputies that she asked him for $2,000. When he refused, the teenager became upset and asked for a ride to the intersection of Old Alturas Road and Old Oregon Trail.
It was there, Zink told deputies, that he dropped her off and then drove alone to Hang Glider Hill, west of Shasta Dam, to pray. He claimed he returned to his Redding home about 11:30 p.m., deputies have said.
Smith, as well as countless others, doesn’t believe that story.
“We know what happened,” he said.
Based on journal entries and letters found in Tera’s room after her disappearance, Smith has said he believes his blond-haired, blue-eyed daughter asked Zink to meet her so she could end an affair with him.
Zink, who pleaded guilty in the 1990s to rape and later served a four-year prison sentence for being a felon in possession of firearms, has never been named a suspect by the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office and has never been charged in Tera’s disappearance because of a lack of sufficient evidence.
He has also refused to be questioned by investigators after his initial interview with sheriff’s deputies,
Chuck Zink, Troy Zink’s father, referred a telephone call earlier this week from the Record Searchlight about the 10-year anniversary to Redding attorney Jerrald Pickering II.
Pickering said that he would speak with the family, but did not return the telephone call and was unavailable Thursday for comment.
It’s been a frustrating 10 years for investigators with the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office, who continue to investigate tips and leads in hopes of solving the case.
Smith, who believes sheriff’s investigators have exhausted every lead in the case, noted that he contacted detectives in June after receiving a tip that construction workers came upon what appeared to be a grave in the Shingletown area.
The tip was investigated, but it was only a canvas tent and assorted trash that had been buried at the site.
Shasta County sheriff’s Sgt. John Hubbard said Thursday that “hundreds and hundreds” of tips have been investigated since Tera’s disappearance and that three or four tips, or suggestions, were followed up within the past year.
But none panned out.
“It’s a frustrating case,” Hubbard said, adding that his heart breaks for Tera’s parents. “If I could pick a case to be solved, this one is it.”
Despite the dead ends, Smith remains hopeful that evidence might someday be uncovered to reveal the truth.
In the 10 years since his daughter disappeared, his other three children, Trevor, Sierra and Kyra, have married and started families of their own, he said.
He and his wife, Marilyn, now have two grandchildren with a third on its way.
“We’re quietly going ahead with our lives,” Smith said.
But not seeing Tera grow into adulthood is a painful truth, and he admits he sometimes has a difficult time remembering her voice, as well as her smile.
“The memories are fading,” he said. “ And I hate that.”
Reporter Jim Schultz can be reached at 225-8223 or at jschultz@redding.com.

Commenting on the above article from dreamweaver's post (01/30/2009, post #15):

Did Troy Zink ever say why Tera asked him for $2,000?

Snipped...
...Zink, who has denied any involvement in Tera’s disappearance, told sheriff’s deputies that she asked him for $2,000. When he refused, the teenager became upset and asked for a ride to the intersection of Old Alturas Road and Old Oregon Trail.

Have they questioned the RSO's in this immediate area???

It's interesting Tera looks a lot like the recently vanished Sherri Papini who also disappeared jogging.

ETA: https://goo.gl/maps/FkmySia5L3R2
http://www.familywatchdog.us/Default.asp

Does anyone know what Tera Smiths regular jogging routine was? I'm interested to know how it might relate to the Sherri Papini case.

The intersection Vink says he dropped Tera off at is of interest IMHO...hope LE have knocked on doors all up and down OAR.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back