CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

I can't think of one good reason to leave the bucket of embers inside the house. I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather, and even I would have carried it outside and set it on a non-flammable surface like a driveway or a patio. :waitasec:

Agree. Also, I can't imagine not dousing it with water. Since they were wrapping presents by the fireplace approximately 3:00am, it certainly hadn't even cooled off by the time they went to bed. And sadly, tragedy occurred.

:(

Very poor taste. I agree with the comments. That article needs removed.

I don't really understand. I agree the article isn't Pulitzer material, but the writer does conclude that he was lucky to "have to" work on Christmas while watching his healthy child, that compared to the victims he had nothing to complain about.

He's competing with national and international news outlets, so he decided to focus on the "local angle", that of being a local reporter called out of bed on Christmas morning to cover a local tragedy.

Still not great literature, but I'm not sure why it needs to be censored.

Agree. Also, I can't imagine not dousing it with water. Since they were wrapping presents by the fireplace approximately 3:00am, it certainly hadn't even cooled off by the time they went to bed. And sadly, tragedy occurred.

:(

Unfortunately people do things like that day in and day out. My neighbor's house burned down by a candle. Which shouldn't be left un-attended but obviously people do leave the candles un-attended all the time.

i hope everyone who reads about this tragedy checks their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, buys a safety ladder or two if they have multiple floors, and develops a fire safety plan.

honestly, i can't help but think that "there, but for the grace of god, go i."

I don't really understand. I agree the article isn't Pulitzer material, but the writer does conclude that he was lucky to "have to" work on Christmas while watching his healthy child, that compared to the victims he had nothing to complain about.

He's competing with national and international news outlets, so he decided to focus on the "local angle", that of being a local reporter called out of bed on Christmas morning to cover a local tragedy.

Still not great literature, but I'm not sure why it needs to be censored.

i don't believe in censorship so for me, it's out there and the kid needs to suck it up and deal with whatever backlash it brings him. perhaps he'll mature through the process and come out with a stronger piece. then again, many a writer has zero business attempting to pen an editorial.

just out of curiosity, if he'd written the same words in the immediate aftermath of the petite family murders, would that make any difference?

Firefighters offered counseling after deadly fire

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ion=1&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L1_UNEWS&page=1

A Christmas morning fire that killed a couple and three of their grandchildren was devastating to firefighters who rushed into the engulfed home twice frantically looking for the victims before they were beaten back by the flames.

Stamford officials were offering counseling to the firefighters.

Article has a lot of information on what happened and more about the contractor.

I am confident the photo is before the tragedy. He has just been released from the hospital (with a knee injury) so I really doubt he is standing up smiling in front of some large buildings for this interview.

jjenny, I'm guessing you're right. It's irresponsible journalism to not make a note that the picture is "file" or previously taken.

Hi, I was born and raised in Stamford and still reside here. My husband is also a 17 yr Stamford firefighter who was supposed to be on duty 12/24, but is on medical leave due to hip surgery. He has spoken to many in the department and this looks like just a tragic accident. We do wonder why someone would empty out the embers around 3am and put them in a bag and leave them near the home. I have a fireplace and have never emptied it out while it was still hot or even warm. Why not just let it smoulder? Many on the department are wondering whether alcohol played into this because of the late hour.

BTW, I am getting the timeline from The Stamford Advocate. I have never heard of the The Daily Stamford.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...al-details-of-fire-victims-2428609.php#page-1

Embers are supposed to be dampened before disposal.
At first news reports were saying embers were in a bucket, now they are saying they were in a bag-which makes even less sense. I don't think it was done on purpose but fireplace safety rules were apparently not followed.

Hi, I was born and raised in Stamford and still reside here. My husband is also a 17 yr Stamford firefighter who was supposed to be on duty 12/24, but is on medical leave due to hip surgery. He has spoken to many in the department and this looks like just a tragic accident. We do wonder why someone would empty out the embers around 3am and put them in a bag and leave them near the home. I have a fireplace and have never emptied it out while it was still hot or even warm. Why not just let it smoulder? Many on the department are wondering whether alcohol played into this because of the late hour.

BTW, I am getting the timeline from The Stamford Advocate. I have never heard of the The Daily Stamford.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...al-details-of-fire-victims-2428609.php#page-1

Thank you Jamiect for sharing this insight. Please also give your husband our gratitude for the work he does. May he have a smooth recovery from his hip surgery.

Autopsy results are back.

"The Office of the State Medical Examiner said Wednesday that four of the five victims -- 10-year-old Lily Badger, 7-year-old twins Sarah and Grace Badger and their grandmother, 69-year-old Pauline Johnson -- died from smoke inhalation. The girls' grandfather, 71-year-old Lomer Johnson, died from blunt trauma to the head and neck when he fell from a roof while trying to rescue one of his granddaughters."

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...ils-of-fire-victims-2428609.php#ixzz1ht1d1vnR

Thank you Jamiect for sharing this insight. Please also give your husband our gratitude for the work he does. May he have a smooth recovery from his hip surgery.

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately any fire related questions will have to wait till tomorrow as hubby is :countsheep:. LOL

Cause for alarms
7 detectors OK’d for Conn. mansion

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cause_for_alarms_3QGAqkXBTrsoSPtj6bsAJN#ixzz1hvjgJ8H7

"A permit was approved in May for at least seven smoke detectors in a doomed Connecticut mansion — but none was hooked up when three girls and their grandparents died there in a horrific Christmas Day fire."

"The chief buildings official in Stamford told The Post yesterday that, given the of time between when he issued the permit and Sunday’s fire, the detectors should have been working."

i don't believe in censorship so for me, it's out there and the kid needs to suck it up and deal with whatever backlash it brings him. perhaps he'll mature through the process and come out with a stronger piece. then again, many a writer has zero business attempting to pen an editorial.

just out of curiosity, if he'd written the same words in the immediate aftermath of the petite family murders, would that make any difference?

Backlash? The writer concludes that he was petty to resent being called to work on Christmas. What backlash does that merit?

So no, I don't think it would matter had the deaths been murders. Same principle, same conclusion by the author.

Backlash? The writer concludes that he was petty to resent being called to work on Christmas. What backlash does that merit?

So no, I don't think it would matter had the deaths been murders. Same principle, same conclusion by the author.

There are some things one should just keep to him or herself. This might be one of those things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back