The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

I just watched it.

Failure from the top down.

Nationbuilding and Iraq war (where were those WMD's anyway?) when there are terrible problems right here at home being ignored.

So-called "leaders" looking out for their own interests.

Apparently the taxpayers are just supposed to take care of themselves.

There were some heroes. General Honore for one, and many others unsung.

Oh My! We have seen so much destruction and heart break in total it is too much to comprehend. This young gal has it in her to survive. Just thinking of the responsibility she feels, the burden she does not want to be. We can help people, we can feed them, we can offer many things. We cannot give them back what they most want - their prior lives. We can blow it off by saying, hey, they survived and have their family. She should be able to talk to her friends about an old boyfriend, think about a class ring, and about her pretty dress.

BirdieBoo said:
I just watched it.

Failure from the top down.

Nationbuilding and Iraq war (where were those WMD's anyway?) when there are terrible problems right here at home being ignored.

So-called "leaders" looking out for their own interests.

Apparently the taxpayers are just supposed to take care of themselves.

There were some heroes. General Honore for one, and many others unsung.

I missed it, had unexpected company. Did they say from the top down? I would think this was a failure from the bottom up.

kgeaux said:
I missed it, had unexpected company. Did they say from the top down? I would think this was a failure from the bottom up.

Bottom up in my opinon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9287641/

An Enduring Shame: Katrina reminded us, but the problem is not new. Why a rising tide of people live in poverty, who they are—and what we can do about it.
It takes a hurricane. it takes a catastrophe like Katrina to strip away the old evasions, hypocrisies and not-so-benign neglect. It takes the sight of the United States with a big black eye—visible around the world—to help the rest of us begin to see again. For the moment, at least, Americans are ready to fix their restless gaze on enduring problems of poverty, race and class that have escaped their attention. Does this mean a new war on poverty? No, especially with Katrina's gargantuan price tag. But this disaster may offer a chance to start a skirmish, or at least make Washington think harder about why part of the richest country on earth looks like the Third World.

Interesting read at link.

less0305 said:
Bottom up in my opinon.
I agree. I believe they started chastising the mayor and then the governor, and worked their way up. I believe one of the closing lines said that while there were a lot of government officials, what was lacking was a LEADER.

I taped it. I'm going to watch it again. I kept getting interrupted too.

less0305 said:
Bottom up in my opinon.

I agree, bottom up to top. If the very bottom layers have problems, no one at the "top" can go in and make it all okay. The bottom is the foundation. If it's cracked, the rest of it's going to be shaky, at best.

tybee204 said:

An Enduring Shame: Katrina reminded us, but the problem is not new. Why a rising tide of people live in poverty, who they are—and what we can do about it.
It takes a hurricane. it takes a catastrophe like Katrina to strip away the old evasions, hypocrisies and not-so-benign neglect. It takes the sight of the United States with a big black eye—visible around the world—to help the rest of us begin to see again. For the moment, at least, Americans are ready to fix their restless gaze on enduring problems of poverty, race and class that have escaped their attention. Does this mean a new war on poverty? No, especially with Katrina's gargantuan price tag. But this disaster may offer a chance to start a skirmish, or at least make Washington think harder about why part of the richest country on earth looks like the Third World.

Thanks Tybee--Very thoughtful article.

I tried to watch i last night but couldnt stay awake. Im hoping they rerun it again

tybee204 said:
I tried to watch i last night but couldnt stay awake. Im hoping they rerun it again

Tybee...

I bet it will be run over and over and over again. It's a good piece.

txsvicki said:
Do you know where they are staying on the base, I didn't get that info from our friend who works for the city?
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I'm mainly online at work, my computer at home is a dinosaur. They have them in an airconditioned plane hanger and in the meeting rooms of the buildings.

45 Bodies Found at New Orleans Hospital

NEW ORLEANS - Forty-five bodies have been found at a hospital that was abandoned more than a week ago after it was surrounded by floodwaters unleashed by Hurricane Katrina, a state health official said Monday. The bodies were located Sunday at Memorial Medical Center, said Bob Johannesen, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Hospitals. Johannesen said the bodies were those of patients, but he had no other

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/hurricanes_and_tropical_storms

I wanted to see the photos!!!!

Album Not Found
We're sorry, but the online album you're looking for is unavailable. The owner may have deleted the album after sharing it with you, or the link you used may be incorrect.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
I agree, bottom up to top. If the very bottom layers have problems, no one at the "top" can go in and make it all okay. The bottom is the foundation. If it's cracked, the rest of it's going to be shaky, at best.

If any structure becomes too top heavy, it will eventually collapse. It will happen more quickly when the so called "very bottom layers" are consistently undermined as well.

Although I don't think I'd personally refer to those left stranded in NO by Katrina as the "very bottom layers"..... it doesn't sound very nice.

tybee204 said:

A lot of it had to do with the fact that the economy in New Orleans sucks donkey balls. The public education system is wretched, to the point where at least 75% of the children in the city attend private parochial schools. In the onld days, when cotton was king, a marginally educated person could work the docks and bring home a decent wage. But that was before the autimation of the docks. And during the oil boom there was plenty of work for high school graduates and lower working as roughnecks in the fields. But since the mid 1980s there is nothing in New Orleans except minimum wage service jobs. Unless you flip burgers, make beds, or mix drinks, there's not much ithe way of a job market. The only other job for the poorly educated is on the shrimp boats, but that requires you living in the boonies, for the most part. Its not an option for city dwellers. There is no high tech work force in New Orleans to speak of. Either you work for the state or are a professional in some area, or you work a minimum wage service job--and probably more than one of those.

BillyGoatGruff said:
A lot of it had to do with the fact that the economy in New Orleans sucks donkey balls. The public education system is wretched, to the point where at least 75% of the children in the city attend private parochial schools. In the onld days, when cotton was king, a marginally educated person could work the docks and bring home a decent wage. But that was before the autimation of the docks. And during the oil boom there was plenty of work for high school graduates and lower working as roughnecks in the fields. But since the mid 1980s there is nothing in New Orleans except minimum wage service jobs. Unless you flip burgers, make beds, or mix drinks, there's not much ithe way of a job market. The only other job for the poorly educated is on the shrimp boats, but that requires you living in the boonies, for the most part. Its not an option for city dwellers. There is no high tech work force in New Orleans to speak of. Either you work for the state or are a professional in some area, or you work a minimum wage service job--and probably more than one of those.

Your ten years educated you well. Try being a woman in Louisiana, if you are smarter than the average duck your accolades will be unsung and tucked into some guys belt.Back to the roughnecks, 18 yr. olds during the boom were being paid more than college educated women. Louisiana is 25 years behind the nation.

Maybe with all this tragedy a new beginning will occur.In the Heroes thread I posted an article about a Georgia family that took on loads of people with the emphasis getting the kids in school and jobs for the rest. They were cream puff white and they took on members from Desire. I call that guts to open.I also call that a chance to make life different where so many never had that option.

tybee204 said:

Thank you Tybee! My only disagreement..The Thirty-Third World would be a more appropriate reference!

BirdieBoo said:
If any structure becomes too top heavy, it will eventually collapse. It will happen more quickly when the so called "very bottom layers" are consistently undermined as well.

Although I don't think I'd personally refer to those left stranded in NO by Katrina as the "very bottom layers"..... it doesn't sound very nice.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure DeputyDawg was referring to the local officials as being the bottom layer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back