Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see a reference to Tallahassee in this article, but is Brittanee's dad from Florida. Could he have recruited some extra help?

It's in some of the other articles. Sorry I didn't include one that says it in there... that link was included for my earlier statement.

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=13546027

http://www2.scnow.com/news/2010/nov/21/crews-search-drexel-near-teens-last-cell-ping-ar-1118354/

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13545889

All three of these say it.

I took it they are searching today too. I snipped this piece from the above articles it really bothers me though. Sounds like CUE might stop active searches after this.

Britanne's mom, Dawn Drexel was also a part of the search. Caison says they did not find anything, and she's not sure if they will be coming back. She says there have been nearly 50 search efforts so far.

I hope they know something significant and that this is THE week. Maybe Britt will be home for Thanksgiving. :woohoo:

If LE gets a tip about where Brittannee might be why do they have to wait for CUE to do the search. Can't MB LE do their own search. Just wondering, if MB LE is not as "actively searching" as DD stated in the news article.

If LE gets a tip about where Brittannee might be why do they have to wait for CUE to do the search. Can't MB LE do their own search. Just wondering, if MB LE is not as "actively searching" as DD stated in the news article.

Very good question, Rochestergirl. I never considered this, but now that you mention it, I have to wonder about this myself.

Also, in one of these articles posted about the recent search, it mentioned that Monica C says they can now walk away from the area they searched for the missing Soles girl (missing since 2005) but there will probably be many more areas searched. If they are doing all of that searching and apparently plan to continue searching for her, why would it be mentioned that they "may not be coming back" to search for Brittanee? or did I misinterpret this?

This is the article that mentions they may not be back.

http://www2.counton2.com/news/2010/...inued-search-missing-teen-brittan-ar-1118655/
Britanne's mom, DD was also a part of the search. Caison says they did not find anything, and she's not sure if they will be coming back. She says there have been nearly 50 search efforts so far.

BBM

As I stated in my last post, it seems puzzling to me that MC says there will probably be many more areas to search for the Soles girl, but makes this statement about continued searches for Brittanee.

If Crystal Soles had got 1/4 of searchs as BD has it sure made the GTown county ppl alot happier,and Cue just really getting involed in CS about 2 yrs, they have searched so much for BD, if she was dumped,they may never find anything,its sad but its true,,,we here in Gtown feel for all missing ppl, its hard when you got one of your own missing,,,i hope both familes get closeure soon,,,,Gods Blessing on all of them!!!!!

Thanks Rose- would you know does LE there do there own large searches or do they count on not for profit groups like CUE to do these. I find that a bit odd if that is the case (especially now that you mention that Crystal Soles didn't get that many searches either). Now that SLED is involved won't they do searches?

If Crystal Soles had got 1/4 of searchs as BD has it sure made the GTown county ppl alot happier,and Cue just really getting involed in CS about 2 yrs, they have searched so much for BD, if she was dumped,they may never find anything,its sad but its true,,,we here in Gtown feel for all missing ppl, its hard when you got one of your own missing,,,i hope both familes get closeure soon,,,,Gods Blessing on all of them!!!!!

Thanks Rose- would you know does LE there do there own large searches or do they count on not for profit groups like CUE to do these. I find that a bit odd if that is the case (especially now that you mention that Crystal Soles didn't get that many searches either). Now that SLED is involved won't they do searches?

I think its really who you know,where the $ coming in at,,be honest i think CS about first going missing like this in our area,Bd got alot of attention due it happen in MB ($),, so i know our investagators do go out search but not like Cue and other groups do,,,now with Sled involed they do searchs but not as in a group,,most time its neighbors/family/friends that go search,,,,most bad crimes of someone missing/killed is more inCharleston areas,,,,,but im just me and everyoneelse has there say,,,we just really need these girls found,so family can try put there lives back insome type of order,,,,,

See this latest story, they have totally taken back about the tip being called in (interesting) It's obvious that wasn't a mistake, DD said it too many times (I thought Monica said it too have to recheck that though. So I'm assumming they were told to keep quiet about this tip. DD is now trying to say there's been alot of tips. weird
Here it is below

Drexel's mother says search is 'mentally exhausting'
Posted: Nov 21, 2010 5:55 PM EST
Updated: Nov 22, 2010 5:16 PM EST
Video Gallery

McCLELLANVILLE, SC (WCSC/WMBF) - More than 50 people searched a heavily wooded area in Charleston County Sunday, looking for clues in the disappearance of Brittanee Drexel.

Search crews used horses, ATV teams and K-9 units during the search for the missing New York teen. The Myrtle Beach Police Department is handling the investigation.

Between 50-75 people were involved in Sunday's search which began at 8 a.m. near the corner of Old Georgetown Road and Rutledge Road in McClellanville.

Dawn Drexel, Brittanee's mother, was present at the search. She said that Sunday's search was the 48th conducted since her daughter disappeared. She said she has attended all of them.

"It's mentally exhausting," Drexel said. "It's just very exhausting to come here and you know in these areas it's just all woods. You don't fathom your kid being out here, but it's just hard, very hard."

According to the Myrtle Beach Police Department, the group who led Sunday's search, the CUE Center for Missing Persons, decided to head to McClellanville because the area being searched Sunday had never been searched before.

Police say there were no new leads or specific reasons the group decided to search for Drexel Sunday.

Dawn Drexel also said that authorities from Charleston County, Kershaw County, Georgetown County and Tallahassee, Fla. were involved in the search.

"The organization that is searching for Brittanee today, that brought in a lot of the searchers, is the CUE Center for Missing Persons and it's just a big close-knit family. I mean they all want to find Brittanee."

Police say Drexel was last seen in the area of 11th Avenue South and 20th Avenue South in Myrtle Beach on April 25, 2009. Drexel was 17 at the time of her disappearance.

"We don't know where she is and not knowing is what really, really bothers you," Dawn Drexel said. "I've been actively involved in her case. There's a not a day that goes by that I don't think about different ideas or things that I would like the police to look at."

Search crews have launched efforts across the Myrtle Beach, but all efforts have been unsuccessful. A 70-person crew combed part of Georgetown County, locating a pair of Prada knock-off sunglasses near a body of water. Investigators say those sunglasses were the same as those worn by Drexel in a picture Drexel took with friends prior to her disappearance.

"They've gotten a lot of tips and leads from the community," Dawn Drexel said. "They're working and doing everything they possibly can to find my daughter."

Drexel's story gained national attention after the 17-year-old visited Myrtle Beach during spring break of 2009, and was never seen again.

Drexel and her friends were staying in the Bar Harbor Hotel along Ocean Boulevard that week in April. Drexel was caught on a surveillance camera around 8:15 p.m., Saturday, April 25, 2009, walking along the boulevard to visit friends staying at the Bluewater Resort.

Drexel was then recorded on the hotel's surveillance camera some thirty minutes later leaving the Bluewater Resort, returning to her hotel approximately 20 blocks away.

Somewhere within that 20 block walk, something would go very wrong, leaving police, family, and friends trying to put together the pieces of how Brittanee Drexel seemingly vanished.

Police received hundreds of tips concerning Drexel's whereabouts, all of which turned out to be nothing more than a dead end.

The CUE Center launched www.helpfindbrittaneedrexel.com in December.

CrimeStoppers of the Lowcountry continues to offer a reward for any information on Drexel's whereabouts. Anyone with information regarding the disappearance of Drexel is urged to contact the agency at 1-888-CRIME-SC.

and here is another article with DD's statement about the tip. Dawn Drexel, Brittanee's mother, was at both searches.

Dawn told News 13 there was an “anonymous tip from the community” that prompted the search.It’s the 47th search day that has been held since Brittanee disappeared.

Brittanee was last seen on April 25, 2009 while on a spring break trip in Myrtle Beach

I think we've assumed that Britt was laid near the river.....and the searches--thus far--have indicated that that's the case.
The Rutledge Rd tip is a bit of a let down. That her body could be "in the woods off Rutledge Rd" is kind of overwhelming given the VAST wooded area on BOTH sides of a very long Rutledge Rd.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q....185404,-79.416218&spn=0.051863,0.138702&z=13

Not surprisingly, Rutledge Rd is right across the street from 7 mile rd.

Is Rutledge Rd far enough from the river and swampy area to possibly prevent alligators from 'eliminating evidence'....or is this still a big concern?? TIA!

so why do they now say their was no tip?

AP) -- A tip called into local police was the catalyst for volunteers to search along the South Carolina coast for a New York teen missing for nearly two years and a Georgetown County woman who hasn't been seen since 2005.

founder Monica Caison told multiple media outlets that about 50 volunteers searched woods in northern Charleston County last weekend.

The crew searched Sunday for Brittanee Drexel, who was last seen outside a Myrtle Beach hotel in April 2009. The last signal from her cell phone came from the area searched.

The volunteers searched Saturday for Crystal Soles, who was 28 years old when she was last seen at an Andrews convenience store in January 2005.

Well, I guess the new search is over for now. Dawn is back in Roc and it is my assumption that she would have remained in SC if anything of significance had been found.

What a shame :( So much hope and then so much let down.

Here's the link that I mentioned earlier in the thread. This story is from Monday morning. I haven't watched the video but nothing is mentioned in the text about several tips. However, I know that the morning anchor Kim Ratcliff mentioned the search was the result of 'several tips'.

I find it odd that so many of us heard this 'tip or tips' info and now it seems the newsmedia is backing off that part of the story. I wonder if this is why it took WECT so long to post the story to their site. Did they amend it for some reason?

LINK......

MOO

wm

ETA Ok i just watched the vid at above link. The vid is actually from WMBF news and not what I saw on yesterday am news. However, the vid states that the search was from a tip and that there WILL be more searches for Brittanee. Is anyone else as confused as I am?

WM this looks like the original story but it was edited to take out the part about the tip. I wonder if LE asked then to keep quiet about that.

Here's the link that I mentioned earlier in the thread. This story is from Monday morning. I haven't watched the video but nothing is mentioned in the text about several tips. However, I know that the morning anchor Kim Ratcliff mentioned the search was the result of 'several tips'.

I find it odd that so many of us heard this 'tip or tips' info and now it seems the newsmedia is backing off that part of the story. I wonder if this is why it took WECT so long to post the story to their site. Did they amend it for some reason?

LINK......

MOO

wm

ETA Ok i just watched the vid at above link. The vid is actually from WMBF news and not what I saw on yesterday am news. However, the vid states that the search was from a tip and that there WILL be more searches for Brittanee. Is anyone else as confused as I am?

Weekend search for Drexel and Soles comes up empty

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - It has been more than 18 months since New York teen Brittanee Drexel vanished from a vacation on the Grand Strand.

Now, more than 40 searches later - and a heartbreaking ordeal for her family - the case remains unsolved. This weekend, search crews ramped up their effort, this time in Charleston County.

More:
http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?S=13554737

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads