GUILTY NC - Clover, WhtFem, 18-28, found strangled, Oct'09 - Heather Catterton

If that guy was enjoying life on Death Row like he claims, he wouldn't be writing taunting letters to the press goading people into carrying out his sentence. He's a manipulative psychopath, and should be ignored.

Agreed. I think this is what casey anthony's attitude would be like if she had been found guilty and convicted.

However, I think this guy and others like him are not merely pulling our chains. Psychopaths tend to adjust well to prison, from what I've read. Yeah, they'd rather be out but they don't react like normal people do, like someone with a soul would react to the lack of stimulation, human touch, access to pets, sun, etc. They are already dead inside. Prison ain't nothin' but a thing.

The newspaper fed right into it by publishing his letter. They should mark them "return to sender" and leave them unopened. I bet he'd "love" that ;)

Jurors in the murder trial of an accused serial killer heard him confess to the crime in a second taped interview with police.

Danny Hembree tells Gaston County investigators he killed Randi Saldana at his mother's house in 2009.

snip....Hembree was sentenced to death last November for the murder of 17-year-old Heather Catterton.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/17233881/victims-sisters-testifies-in-hembree-murder-trial

He told investigators that his Mom was awake in the kitchen

In the article they call him a serial killer. But so far I have found the two murders.

Ok in an older article it says that he is also suspected of the murder of Deborah Ratchford but hasn't been charged.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/26/death-row-inmate-letter_n_1233890.html

Not all prisons are so cushy. My dad was a CO-1 for the state of PA in one of the oldest facilities in PA. It doesn't have AC and during the dog days of summer it is sweltering. In addition, they have a farm where they grow much of their food--inmates work it w/ officers on horseback guarding and they make other products for Big House Industries. The products are shipped out to other institutions to eliminate having to buy products wasting more taxpayer money. I don't know if this is the norm throughout PA, but inmates here (maximum w/ a death row) certainly don't enjoy all of the comforts the ACLU can buy. (Yes, the ACLU has gone after the state several times for the lack of AC, making inmates work, etc., but so far, no go.)

IMO prison should be a place no one every wants to go back to. I like that the prisoners need to earn their keep.

This guy's just pullin' chains, and should be ignored. He has nothing to do BUT nap in what must be at least 23-hour lockdown circumstances 24-7-365. (366 this year.) As for the a/c and color TV - would we really want our prison guards getting jumped by bored-up, sweaty convicts headed for the Death Chamber and thus with absolutely nothing to lose? These are in place to pacify, and put there by prison administration, not "liberal society." Keep 'em relatively comfy in those cells WHERE THEY EXIST ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME and - safer work conditions for public employees. If anyone thinks Death Row in North Carolina turns one into a "gentleman of leisure" - please. Don't let immoral bastards like this one set you off. He's in hell, where he deserves to be, even if he won't admit it.
The barely throttled back rage between every line of this evil little screed says he knows bloody well he's not sitting in quite the catbird seat he would like us to believe.
I worked in a correctional institution for seven years.
Purgatory with cable TV is still Purgatory.
Just another punk convict shooting off his mouth.

just how pleasant would it be to sleep in your bathroom and listening to hundreds of people talk all hours of the night. You couldn't get me to the needle fast enough!

Just sayin....

Mel

I didn't see anything on this .... man ...

A convicted murderer on death row in North Carolina wrote a taunting letter to his hometown newspaper about his life of "leisure" in prison and making a mockery of the legal system. Danny Robbie Hembree Jr. was found guilty of murdering 17-year-old Heather Catterton in 2009 and was sentenced to death on Nov. 18, 2011.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolin..._DCRFp7MzhBwAgeImn63fdXdA7EWd6mmmgeAQHJ1k#_=_

He's a real piece of garbage, who took a young woman's life and now wants attention. This is all he is seeking. I doubt it is all cushy and wonderful for this SOB. I think the paper should not have printed his letter and encouraged his behavior of so called "Bragging" about his life. Doubt it is true.

Goz

From December:

Hembree murder trial moves out of county

http://www.shelbystar.com/news/20161205/hembree-murder-trial-moves-out-of-county

A convicted killer originally sentenced to death for the murder of a 17-year-old girl will have his new trial held in another county.

Danny Robbie Hembree isn't scheduled to leave prison until he's 80 years old thanks to a series of robbery convictions and a second-degree murder conviction in the death of 31-year-old Randi Dean Saldana. But another 2009 murder charge, one that initially sent him to death row, could ensure the 54-year-old spends the rest of his life behind bars.

Gaston County District Attorney Locke Bell asked for a change of venue Monday for Hembree's upcoming murder trial related to the killing of Heather Marie Catterton, requesting it be moved to Catawba County.

The second Catterton trial was slated to be held September 2017 with a pool of jurors bused from Wilkes County 75 miles south to Gastonia.

That will no longer happen, and the date of the new trial is still to be determined.

Hembree says lawyer did him wrong

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/20170905/hembree-says-lawyer-did-him-wrong

Superior Court Judge Nathaniel Poovey, who will be the trial judge in this case, denied Hembree’s request for a new attorney, citing Hembree’s past in the courtroom and his overall demeanor.

“You have made accusations against everyone,” Poovey said to Hembree. “It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if you make accusations against me.”

“Oh, I will,” Hembree replied.

Hembree then indicated he may want represent himself at trial, which could take place in January 2018. Poovey encouraged him to reconsider that notion. Finally, after 30 minutes of convincing and a 20-minute break that allowed Cummings and Hembree to speak, Hembree decided against the notion.

Hembree’s second trial in the death of Catterton will take place in Catawba County because of pretrial publicity surrounding Hembree’s earlier convictions and statements. The trial date is set for Jan. 8, 2018.

Sister of Hembree murder victim frustrated, thinks he may be sabotaging trial

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/sister-of-hembree-murder-victim-frustrated-thinks-he-may-be-sabotaging-trial/603580400

Shellie Nations, Saldona’s sister, told Channel 9 reporter Ken Lemon that she was frustrated to hear that Hembree may be sabotaging the Catterton trial.

"It really sickens me,” Nations said. “It sickens me because we have went through this before."

"We have this man on camera admitting to taking both lives. He admitted that,” Nations said. “Why are we even doing this?"

...if caught you are likely not to go to trial, if you go to trial you will likely not be convicted, if you are convicted you will likely not be convicted of the crime(s) you committed, if convicted for the crimes you committed you will likely not receive the sentence you deserve, if you receive a sentence that matches your crime you likely will not serve much of it ... then you can start over...

You're just talking about rape, murder and the like. It's the exact opposite for smaller, victim-less crimes.

Hembree takes plea in teen’s murder

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/20171207/guilty-hembree-takes-plea-in-teens-murder

The 55-year-old Gastonia man — who gained notoriety for, among other things: confessing to multiple killings and then maintaining his innocence, earning a mistrial by alleging a sexual affair with an assistant district attorney, writing to a Gazette reporter about being a “gentleman of leisure” watching color television and enjoying air conditioning while on death row and then having that death sentence overturned by the state Supreme Court — pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and apologized for his past hijinks.

“I apologize to Mr. (District Attorney Locke) Bell and Miss (Assistant District Attorney Stephanie) Hamlin for the dirty tricks, the aggravation and chaos I caused,” Hembree said. “I apologize to Mr. (defense attorney Ted) Cummings. I tried to create something for the record in the case that if it went to trial and I was found guilty. I tried to create that conflict. There never was that conflict.”

The decision to plead guilty in Heather Marie Catterton’s 2009 death stunned attorneys on both sides of the aisle.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/infamous-gaston-county-killer-expected-to-plead-guilty-in-2011-murder/660213304

After Thursday’s hearing, the district attorney said he will still not seek the death penalty.

Hembree’s guilty plea will give him a combined 50 years in prison for the two murders.

“He will die in prison,” district attorney Locke Bell said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back