CONVICTION OVERTURNED AK - Kent Leppink, 36, murdered, Hope, 2 May 1996

Nope, I keep an eye on this case as well. :) Thank you

Oh, she is guilty all right. I have done a lot of reading on this case and there is next to nothing in the way of evidence that points to her innocence and a hell out a lot to her guilt. I hope she is convicted all over again. As a side note, interesting how John Carlin was beaten to death in prison. Probably the only other person that knew the truth.

I wonder if John Carlin's death will affect the 2nd trial and if they will be able to get his son to testify again...he had nothing against Mechele and later said he wished he had not testified. The case will be harder to try as was all circumstantial to begin with. But I think all of Alaska is aware of this case and will be unlikely to let her go. I wonder if they would accept a plea at this point if they lost witnesses. (Not on Mechele's side here, just thinking aloud about chances of a conviction again, with less evidence to use.)

I wonder if it was a real live medical problem or just histrionics that sent her to the hospital. I think she is guilty as sin and is a psychopath! I think because of that she would never be willing to take a plea bargain. I do not recall the details of Carlin's death but i it possible that she or her supporters could have had him axed in prison? I really hope that with out Carlin they can still bring her to justice. They need to MAKE her sister testify in this trail because her wanting that computer wiped clean screams of her guilt!

I wonder if it was a real live medical problem or just histrionics that sent her to the hospital. I think she is guilty as sin and is a psychopath! I think because of that she would never be willing to take a plea bargain. I do not recall the details of Carlin's death but i it possible that she or her supporters could have had him axed in prison? I really hope that with out Carlin they can still bring her to justice. They need to MAKE her sister testify in this trail because her wanting that computer wiped clean screams of her guilt!

I saw a special on the case on youtube and IIRC, I think it was stated that it was very unusual/rare for a prisoner to be murdered in that particular jail. I don't know how true this is but it did make me suspicious.

Oh wow I just watched the Dateline episode about this case a couple of days ago. I definitely think Linehan is guilty - it sounded to me like she milked these three physically unattractive, awkward guys for all the money they had, and eventually that wasn't enough and she conspired with Carlin to murder Leppink. The letter about the imaginary 'cabin' in Hope clinched it for me - there's absolutely no other reason that letter would have been written except to lure Leppink to Hope, where he was shot to death. Also John Carlin Jr's testimony about his dad and Michelle standing over the sink full of bleach in which the gun was placed. At the same time, however, I had a feeling her conviction would be overturned, because yes, now she is married to a doctor and is a 'productive' member of society; she's certainly no longer dangerous to society any more - so I feel like they thought, "why lock this poor woman up for a mistake she made in her early 20s? It's not like she pulled the trigger."

The strangest part about this whole case, however, is that Leppink predicted his own death by these people's hands, and in fact sent a letter to his parents to only be opened upon his murder/death which stated that Mechele and John Carlin were responsible. Yet he still chose to accompany Carlin to Hope that day; he continued to hang around these people even after he realized they were going to murder him! Didn't really seem like the brightest guy, either that or he had a death wish.

I've heard that in Alaska there's like fifteen men for every one woman. In an environment like that, I'm surprised things like this don't happen more often. Lots of desperate, lonely guys up there willing to sacrifice everything, even their life in this case, for a bit of company with an attractive female. Also, the "Great Alaskan Bush Company"??? Subtle name for a strip club.

This woman came off as a total phoney in every way to me. That little girl sing-songy, poor me voice just grated on me to no end. As far as I'm concerned, she's right where she belongs (after she gets out of the hospital) and I certainly hope they keep her in there. I think she sold her doctor husband a fake bill of goods. Some men are so blind. How could he respect her after finding out all of this was in her past? This is the mother of his child?

I loved when she said in one interview...."we'll have to stop now, I'm feeling attacked..."

The one boyfriend, Scott, seemed relatively normal...he thought they were just her roommates and that Kent was gay...he is lucky to have gotten away clean from this mess...

I do think Kent was too needy and too much in love with Mechele to think straight...but true, if he was so wary about them, he was too quick to rush up to Hope all alone...poor guy.

i agree that she is most likely guilty of setting this whole thing up...but why so much on e-mail and in writing? i will never get over how "smart" people commit stupid crimes, over and over again...of course not quite as much was known about computers at the time, maybe they thought hitting delete really deleted things, but it was not that long ago. and it still keep happening, even more with cell phones, with criminals leaving a trail...good thing for LE that they are so stupid and can't stay off of phones and computers or a lot of murders would probably go unsolved...

I know what you mean about leaving a trail. I started going online in 1993, and sure didn't know anything about leaving traces or anything like that...of course, I wasn't planning anything sinister, either, so I had no reason to even think about it.

Remember, though, that Mechele allegedly shipped the victim's laptop to her more computer savvy sister right after the murder, and wanted her to erase everything. So she was worried enough about what was possibly on the computer to do that. And angry enough when said sister didn't do it that they supposedly didn't talk for years after.

From what I understand, there were faxes involved, too, so while some of this stuff was via email, I think some of it may have been transmitted by personal fax machines, too.

I think people get themselves psyched up to think they are invincible or too smart or something...but yeah I am also glad criminals do screw up so they can be caught:)

Nope, I keep an eye on this case as well. :) Thank you

Oh, she is guilty all right. I have done a lot of reading on this case and there is next to nothing in the way of evidence that points to her innocence and a hell out a lot to her guilt. I hope she is convicted all over again. As a side note, interesting how John Carlin was beaten to death in prison. Probably the only other person that knew the truth.

I saw a special on the case on youtube and IIRC, I think it was stated that it was very unusual/rare for a prisoner to be murdered in that particular jail. I don't know how true this is but it did make me suspicious.

Yeah, I have no idea about whether or not his death was connected. There are rumors flying among the comments sections on stories about this case throughout the internet (newspaper websites, etc.), which indicate that there is a connection, but I have never heard any information one way or another about investigations or connections or whatever. A person can certainly speculate, though. :angel:

I remember watching 48 hrs. and Kent also had the change of beneficiary card in his pocket when found deceased. He'd changed it over to his parents. During the show at times I almost suspected Kent of having himself killed somehow, his parents since he'd embezzled from them in the past, and the teenager because Michelle was probably manipulating him along with the rest. But, lies about the homosexuality of Kent and the Hope note in her writing, pretty much convinced me, but without the insurance policy those weren't very much evidence against her IMO. I don't understand why she strung Kent along so much with on and off marriage plans though. Michelle's voice also annoyed me and the stony look on her face when found guilty. Her husband was crushed and trying to reach out for her and she almost seemed to recoil from him until she was led out and allowed to give him a hug.

The pro-Mechele camp really really wants people to believe that Kent planned his own assisted suicide. [There are also hints among commentators (I use the term loosely meaning folks who comment online about news articles on the case) that perhaps his father and/or mother killed him which is just an abhorrent, and IMHO completely unfounded, accusation]. I don't think it's entirely impossible to think that a person might do that [assisted suicide]. However, there are some problems I have with this particular scenario in this particular case, such as why all the cover up by the accused? If my friend supposedly had himself killed, and I'm being questioned about it, I would probably want the cops to examine said friend's computer so they could find evidence about the assisted suicide. Destroying the computer seems counterintuitive for an innocent party, IMO.

Also, the gun. Evidence shows which kind of gun killed Kent. Carlin bought the same kind of gun before death. Carlin's son testifies he sees his dad and Mechele standing over a gun in a sinkful of bleach after the death. Gun is not seen after that. Hinky much?

The whole "Kent was gay, but also horribly obsessed about Mechele" thing is just weird and does not ring anywhere near true, IMO.

Yeah, the weird reaction and interaction between her and her husband at trial was just c r e e p y. See this photo courtesy of the Seattle times:

This woman came off as a total phoney in every way to me. That little girl sing-songy, poor me voice just grated on me to no end. As far as I'm concerned, she's right where she belongs (after she gets out of the hospital) and I certainly hope they keep her in there. I think she sold her doctor husband a fake bill of goods. Some men are so blind. How could he respect her after finding out all of this was in her past? This is the mother of his child?

Denial is a very strong thing. Especially group denial. And public denial.

Yes, the person I feel the worst for, too, at this point is their daughter. Regardless of the status of her mother's true responsibility in Kent's murder, this little girl is going to face significant challenges due to everything that has happened and will continue to happen around her. I can't imagine how confused and scared she must feel at times. Despite the denial issue, and their disdain for anyone who disagrees with their perspective on the facts of the case (those whom Mechele's mother refers to as "undesirable readers," I think it was, I'm trying NOT to click on that site too much), they are a supportive bunch, so at least Mechele's daughter has people who love her and will do their best to help her.

According to the pro-Mechele blog, which I'm trying to not click on but did anyway, this was a "female-related" issue and she's healing well.

I hope they don't offer a plea bargain...so far they've stated they're going back to trial...I don't know the specific laws about that who process anyway:)

Yeah, the sister thing is sooo disturbing. According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechele_Linehan

and this article:

http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=7096234

the sister testified at Carlin's trial, then took off and hid in the Czech Republic until after Mechele's trial, when she was held in an Atlanta jail for a week.

Yeah, that doesn't really cast an innocent light on Mechele. At all. Not sure how anyone gets past this part.

Have you all looked at the freemechele site? It has a paypal donation button where yaou can donate to her legal defense - which I guess probably isnt that unusual for these 'Free so and so' sites, but there is also a Free Mechele "store" where you can buy buttons, mugs, t-shirts, etc with Mechele Linehan is Innocent! etc printed on them. Give me a break! Also I agree with the rest of you re her voice - little girlish in an extremely fake way and 'poor me' sounding. In addition I do not think this is a smart woman we are talking about. Anyone who takes out a life insurance policy worth a million dollars on someone else and then murders/has that person murdered not long after and thinks they're going to get away with it is just not intelligent, I'm sorry. If you leave a letter and e-mail trail behind, even less so.

Yeah, the sister thing is sooo disturbing. According to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechele_Linehan

and this article:

http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=7096234

the sister testified at Carlin's trial, then took off and hid in the Czech Republic until after Mechele's trial, when she was held in an Atlanta jail for a week.

Yeah, that doesn't really cast an innocent light on Mechele. At all. Not sure how anyone gets past this part.

Hi Flourish, do you know why Mechele's (gosh, even the spelling of her name annoys me) sister was held in jail in Atlanta for a week after she returned from the Czech Republic? Or am I reading that wrong?

Mia...Lol...I agree...the spelling of her name annoys* me, too!

Flourish....thanks for the photo...it's quite telling, isn't it?? " I've just been sentenced to life in the clink....here...kiss me goodbye on my ear, baby (as I pull away from you!)."

*To be quite honest, I have to admit that just about everything about this woman annoys me!

Hi Flourish, do you know why Mechele's (gosh, even the spelling of her name annoys me) sister was held in jail in Atlanta for a week after she returned from the Czech Republic? Or am I reading that wrong?

IIRC, she was jailed because she was subpoenaed to testify at Mechele's trial but skipped the country instead. The sister did testify at Carlin's trial, though, and her testimony there didn't speak well of her sister. I think there is video somewhere...I'll see if I can find it.

It's nice to have more people around here:)

Thanks for looking for thank Flourish. I haven't seen anything else on this except the 48 Hours episode but I was fascinated from the get-go. I'm surprised no one has written a book on this (or have they?). Anyway, I didn't know anything about the sister/computer info but what has been written here, so that's news to me. More nails for her coffin if you ask me.

Mia...Lol...I agree...the spelling of her name annoys* me, too!

Flourish....thanks for the photo...it's quite telling, isn't it?? " I've just been sentenced to life in the clink....here...kiss me goodbye on my ear, baby (as I pull away from you!)."

*To be quite honest, I have to admit that just about everything about this woman annoys me!

If you haven't already, watch the video of the verdict...it's even more telling, IMO.

Have you all looked at the freemechele site? It has a paypal donation button where yaou can donate to her legal defense - which I guess probably isnt that unusual for these 'Free so and so' sites, but there is also a Free Mechele "store" where you can buy buttons, mugs, t-shirts, etc with Mechele Linehan is Innocent! etc printed on them. Give me a break! Also I agree with the rest of you re her voice - little girlish in an extremely fake way and 'poor me' sounding. In addition I do not think this is a smart woman we are talking about. Anyone who takes out a life insurance policy worth a million dollars on someone else and then murders/has that person murdered not long after and thinks they're going to get away with it is just not intelligent, I'm sorry. If you leave a letter and e-mail trail behind, even less so.

Well, her weird name-spelling allowed for the catchy, "Free Me" slogan LOL:croc:

I re-watched the Dateline episode yesterday. The audio of the police questioning her right after the murder and then "breaking the news" that he was dead was something I paid more attention to this time than the first time I watched. I think wearing earphones helped, maybe, but anyway, her baby voice was in full force, and listening to her trying to describe her relationship with Kent is ridiculous. I think she's trying to say that "it was a relationship of convenience because he was gay and didn't want his family to know," but she can't think of the word "convenience," and says "conventional" instead.

The life insurance policy is weird. Not exactly high on my list of "Thing to Do with My New Fiance" list.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back