CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

My heart breaks for this mother. I admire her strength and conviction to find some sort of meaning in this tragedy. Her words describing her daughters are poignant and eloquent as is her pledge to keep their memory and love alive. Apparently a foundation has been started, "The Other 364", to promote compassion in everyday life, as a tribute to the Badger girls. What an amazing way to start to heal this unbearable sorrow.

Before posting I took the time to read all the articles available relative to this tragedy in addition to the WS posts.

My opinion - something is NOT right.

"..not random at all...maybe like there's some pattern here..."
Clarice Starling - The Silence of The Lambs

BBM. Mr. Borcina bothers me a lot. From his absolute stupidity with the ashes to the moronic comments he made after the fire. I know everyone grieves differently, but he sure doesn't seem too broken up by the deaths that he inadvertently caused. If I was the mother I don't think I could stay with him.

BBM

In fairness, none of us know what they are going through. There is no way to know how he is taking it, unless we followed him around 24/7. I'm sure he is feeling an enormous amount of guilt over this tragedy, IF it was an accident. I believe it to be an accident, until evidence showing otherwise comes out.

Very interesting comments from people who worked for him saying he was impossible to work for, shorted their pay and was not concerned with safety...
One comment mentioned something I have wondered about also....when Borcina was bringing the 2 girls down the stairs and says they panicked and ran back, why wasn't he holding on to them or even holding them in his arms?..they were small enough that he could have picked them up to carry.This is just such a shame and was so preventable..I feel so sorry for the girls father also.

I don't care about his work record because it doesn't have anything to do with the fire. He made a HUGE mistake, but it doesn't make him evil- just human.:twocents:

We don't know that he could physically carry the two children, especially with the fire raging and girls trying to get away to look for their Grandfather. He also was treated for smoke inhalation and was probably in a weakened state.

jmo

My mind boggles. So they were concerned about Santa? Were they concerned Santa could get burned coming down the chimney? Shouldn't they have been worried about their home going up in flames instead?

Assuming the children were already asleep and wouldn't be up until morning after "Santa" arrived, I am not following this logic at all. Children believe Santa flies through the sky with his reindeer, lands on the roof, and comes down the chimney but they're not going to inspect the fireplace in the morning to see if there was anything in it. For them, it's all about what presents Santa left! If removing the ashes was at all about Santa, why have a fire going so close to the time of his "arrival"??

MOO

Assuming the children were already asleep and wouldn't be up until morning after "Santa" arrived, I am not following this logic at all. Children believe Santa flies through the sky with his reindeer, lands on the roof, and comes down the chimney but they're not going to inspect the fireplace in the morning to see if there was anything in it. For them, it's all about what presents Santa left! If removing the ashes was at all about Santa, why have a fire going so close to the time of his "arrival"??

MOO

And if somebody thought ashes were going to hurt "Santa" shouldn't they have actually been worried ashes are going to burn the house? And why not just tell the children Santa is not going to get hurt because he got boots on? I don't understand why the ashes were removed either.

And if somebody thought ashes were going to hurt "Santa" shouldn't they have actually been worried ashes are going to burn the house? And why not just tell the children Santa is not going to get hurt because he got boots on? I don't understand why the ashes were removed either.

Exactly my point. If children believe in Santa they aren't going to analyze the fireplace and will accept what the adults tell them, such as you suggested, that Santa can't get hurt. Adults should be more concerned with the dangers of smoldering embers left inside the house. Honestly it's looking more as if neither were experienced with fireplace safety.

MOO

Exactly my point. If children believe in Santa they aren't going to analyze the fireplace and will accept what the adults tell them, such as you suggested, that Santa can't get hurt. Adults should be more concerned with the dangers of smoldering embers left inside the house. Honestly it's looking more as if neither were experienced with fireplace safety.

MOO

Since this man is a contractor, one would think this man would know something about fire safety in general (even if he is not familiar with fireplaces in particular). I mean, it's not rocket science that embers and ashes can cause fire if they are not disposed properly.

Since this man is a contractor, one would think this man would know something about fire safety in general (even if he is not familiar with fireplaces in particular). I mean, it's not rocket science that embers and ashes can cause fire if they are not disposed properly.

I would think so also. In addition, questions still linger regarding why the smoke detectors weren't functioning.

:(

MOO

[/B]

BBM

In fairness, none of us know what they are going through. There is no way to know how he is taking it, unless we followed him around 24/7. I'm sure he is feeling an enormous amount of guilt over this tragedy, IF it was an accident. I believe it to be an accident, until evidence showing otherwise comes out.

I don't care about his work record because it doesn't have anything to do with the fire. He made a HUGE mistake, but it doesn't make him evil- just human.:twocents:

We don't know that he could physically carry the two children, especially with the fire raging and girls trying to get away to look for their Grandfather. He also was treated for smoke inhalation and was probably in a weakened state.

jmo

The work record comments about his carelessness with safety helped explain to me why he thought nothing of putting live embers in a 'bag' and leaving them in the house near the trash...and I don't think you have to be a fireplace genius to understand that live embers + bag + trash = fire...it's just common sense...(never said it was evil just stupid).

A big strong guy like him can't carry 2 small girls? he could at least have held on to their hands so they couldn't run back into the fire......after all the grandfather, 20+ years older was fighting the same smoke conditions and was able to carry the older, larger child and most likely would have saved her if he had not fallen through the roof.

Sorry but this isn't a little mistake he made, such as forgetting to buy milk on the way home! I feel he should be charged with involuntary manslaughter at the least. Then maybe next time he will think before he does something so stupid.

They don't normally charge people for accidental fires, unless it's something completely outrageous. So I really doubt he will be charged.

http://newyorkpost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/police_talk_to_fire_ma_FRlM6KLsp61MfroZBojPrK

Police talk to fire ma
'Formal interview’

"The Manhattan ad exec whose parents and three young daughters died in a horrific Christmas Day fire has been interviewed by cops about the blaze."

"Grieving mom Madonna Badger, accompanied by her lawyer, sat down with Stamford, Conn., investigators Thursday night for the first time since the fire tore through her under-renovation Victorian home, police officials said."

"The formal interview is part of a probe into the inferno that killed Lily Badger, 9, her twin sisters, Grace and Sarah, 7, and their grandparents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson."

What about the contractor boyfriend? Have they interviewed him?
I really doubt they would charge the mother with anything, if only for the reason that she suffered enough. Now, contractor boyfriend, on the other hand, was not related to either the children or the parents.

What about the contractor boyfriend? Have they interviewed him?
I really doubt they would charge the mother with anything, if only for the reason that she suffered enough. Now, contractor boyfriend, on the other hand, was not related to either the children or the parents.

Are they still working with the assumption that none of the smoke alarms were functional? If so, I believe he will at least have to answer for that.

MOO

Mansion workers grilled in probe into Christmas Day fire in Connecticut

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/fire_probers_turn_up_heat_IqU1ZvMURktamW0cSwaxVP#ixzz1k6D41gTI

"Employees of a contractor who sparked a Christmas Day fire that killed his girlfriend’s three children are being grilled over the renovation work done at the house as part of an ongoing criminal probe, The Post has learned."

"Stamford Police Capt. Richard Conklin said his investigators have talked to several people involved in the work being done on the $1.7 million Stamford home of Manhattan ad exec Madonna Badger."

"Her beau, Michael Borcina, was overseeing the project."

“We’re trying to accelerate this and hopefully have something [to release to the public] within the next week and a half, two weeks,” Conklin told The Post.

"Conklin has said criminal charges are being weighed."

From my above link:

"According to sources, the investigation has been hindered because the home was ordered torn down the day of the fire."

"One source said the police were not consulted in the decision to tear down the home. Conklin did not respond to several requests for comment on whether his department knew about the tear-down order in advance."

"Stamford building department chief Robert DeMarco said he personally made the call to have Badger’s home demolished just hours after the Dec. 25 blaze for “safety reasons."

"No paperwork was filed regarding the order, he said."

Borcina has hired top criminal defense lawyer Eugene Riccio.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/fire_probers_turn_up_heat_IqU1ZvMURktamW0cSwaxVP#ixzz1k6FM07bS

From my above link:

"According to sources, the investigation has been hindered because the home was ordered torn down the day of the fire."

"One source said the police were not consulted in the decision to tear down the home. Conklin did not respond to several requests for comment on whether his department knew about the tear-down order in advance."

"Stamford building department chief Robert DeMarco said he personally made the call to have Badger’s home demolished just hours after the Dec. 25 blaze for “safety reasons."

"No paperwork was filed regarding the order, he said."

Borcina has hired top criminal defense lawyer Eugene Riccio.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/fire_probers_turn_up_heat_IqU1ZvMURktamW0cSwaxVP#ixzz1k6FM07bS

That never made much sense, did it? We were all questioning how it could possibly be investigated with the house torn down. It's only common sense that they would need the house for a criminal investigation.

I didn't understand it at the time & never will understand why that house was torn down that day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back